#1 and #2 Seed Discussion | The Boneyard

#1 and #2 Seed Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been going on in a few scattered threads, but merits its own. Who should the #1 seeds be, how should they be paired with the #2 seeds?

Coming into this weekend it was generally accepted that there are 3 tiers of these teams:

1) Houston/UConn/Purdue
2) UNC/Tennessee/Arizona
3) ISU/Marquette

After yesterday, that is jumbled a bit. ISU is right there in that second tier and has an argument for a #1 seed. Within the first tier, we should be #1 overall, though the Big XII gaming the NET has somehow resulted in Houston having 16 Quad 1 wins (they gained 2 more without doing anything). Marquette is clearly last in the hierarchy, though I think should still be ahead of Baylor, Creighton, Duke, and even Illinois if they win today.

I would have the S Curve as:

1. UConn
2. Houston
3. Purdue
4. UNC
5. ISU
6. Tennessee
7. Arizona
8. Marquette

Conference affiliation precludes a few matchups - UConn/Marquette and Houston/ISU are no good. Conventional wisdom is that the Committee will scrap the S Curve to put Arizona in the West no matter what, with the weakest #1 seed.

The leaves pairings of:

East: UConn/Tennessee
South: Houston/Marquette
Midwest: Purdue/ISU
West: UNC/Arizona

If they really want to stick to geography, they'd put Marquette with Purdue, Tennessee with Houston, and ISU with us. If ISU is #1 in the West, they may even put #5 overall UNC with us in the East. That would make an absolute mockery of the S Curve, but I wouldn't put it past this Committee.

Stepping back, it's amazing that we are in a position to debate this in the first place, and especially as the defending champs.

Reaction Score
We'll get either Duke or North Carolina whoever get the worst seed in the south.

Reaction Score
We'll get either Duke or North Carolina whoever get the worst seed in the south.
Duke will prolly be placed in the East but looking at a 4 seed but will most likely get a 3 cause they are Duke. They have no shot at all at a 2

Reaction Score
With the caveat that this is all with a cursory glance and I'll probably mess up something obvious my guess is this for the top 16

East: UConn (1) / Tennessee (7) / Baylor (9) / Wisconsin (16)
Midwest: Purdue (3) / Iowa State (5) / Creighton (10) / Kentucky (14)
South: Houston (2) / Marquette (8) / Duke (11) / Auburn (13)
West: UNC (4) / Arizona (6) / Illinois (12) / Kansas (15)

Reaction Score
If they really want to stick to geography, they'd put Marquette with Purdue, Tennessee with Houston, and ISU with us. If ISU is #1 in the West, they may even put #5 overall UNC with us in the East. That would make an absolute mockery of the S Curve, but I wouldn't put it past this Committee.
Agreed. ISU/UNC would be the strongest 2 seeds. No freaking way either should be paired with the 1 overall.

I think if Auburn wins sec they could be a 2 over Marquette.

Zona is the weakest 2 seed and should therefore be with us. Sticking Zona in the west is an unfair disadvantage to the fourth 1 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With the caveat that this is all with a cursory glance and I'll probably mess up something obvious my guess is this for the top 16

This looks reasonable, though I feel like for ratings purposes they'll load up our bracket with UNC as our 2 and Kansas as our 4, with SDSU as the 5.

Reaction Score
Agreed. ISU is the strongest 2 seed. I might even put them as a 1 over UNC. No freaking way they should be paired with the 1 overall.

I think if Auburn wins sec they could be a 2 over Marquette.

Zona is the weakest 2 seed and should therefore be with us. Sticking Zona in the west is an unfair disadvantage to the fourth 1 seed.
Zona should not get UNC. But watch the Committee do it's "magic" and the media drool all over them. I think Iowa State is better than UNC right now based on the ACC in general.

Reaction Score

Auburn as a 4 even if they win sec today? God I hope they’re not slotted in our region. I’d put them as the last 2 over Marquette.

Reaction Score
Auburn as a 4 even if they win sec today? God I hope they’re not slotted in our region. I’d put them as the last 2 over Marquette.
Could convince me to flip them and Illinois depending on those results today. Depends if the committee prefers Auburn's predictive metrics or resume metrics

Reaction Score
Overall 1 can't get best 2 seed.

Reaction Score

Wisconsin blows. Please give us this bracket.

Reaction Score
Duke will prolly be placed in the East but looking at a 4 seed but will most likely get a 3 cause they are Duke. They have no shot at all at a 2
Duke is Kenpom #8 and UNC is Kenpom #9

Reaction Score
Never happen but I'd prefer this:

EAST: UConn, Tennessee, Duke, Wisconsin
SOUTH: Houston, UNC, Baylor, Auburn
MIDWEST: Purdue, Marquette, Illinois, Kentucky
WEST: Iowa State, Arizona, Creighton, Kansas

The West just seems like a jumble right now due to lack of an outstanding regional team. I feel like they'll keep UNC on the 1 line West to rep the ACC rather than boost 2 from the Big 12 as 1 seeds. That probably pushes Iowa State to the 2 line Midwest and could move 2 Marquette below Houston in the South where they still have a shot to go through.

Reaction Score
If Auburn win today I Dont understand why they’re a projected 4 seed when theyre #4 overall in kenpom and should be closer to a 2 seed. Certainly more deserving of a 3 seed over the likes of Baylor and Duke
Agree they should be above Duke. I should have seen that but I would prefer an overrated Duke as 3 in the East than Auburn.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Agree they should be above Duke. I should have seen that but I would prefer an overrated Duke as 3 in the East than Auburn.
Agreed and id rather have the best 3 in our region than the best 4. the 2v3 can beat each other up we just have to play the winner

Reaction Score
East: UConn / UNC / Baylor / Kansas
Midwest: Purdue / Marquette/ Duke / Auburn
South: Houston / Tenn / Creighton / Alabama
West: Iowa St / Arizona / Illinois / Kentucky

Reaction Score
East: UConn / UNC / Baylor / Kansas
Midwest: Purdue / Marquette/ Duke / Auburn
South: Houston / Tenn / Creighton / Alabama
West: Iowa St / Arizona / Illinois / Kentucky
So We get the best 2 seed by far because ratings? Swap UNC with Tenn and I’ll live with it.

I just don’t want UNC/ISU as our 2 or Auburn/UK as our 4. Don’t care who the 3 is.

Reaction Score
So We get the best 2 seed by far because ratings? Swap UNC with Tenn and I’ll live with it.

I just don’t want UNC/ISU as our 2 or Auburn/UK as our 4. Don’t care who the 3 is.
Under the premise that UNC is a 2 seed, the only way we avoid them is if we are the #1 overall and they #5 on the S Curve. I am not certain of both things being true.

"The committee may relax the principle of keeping teams as close to their area of natural interest for seeding teams on the No. 2 line to avoid, for example, the overall No. 5 seed being sent to the same region as the overall No. 1 seed. The committee will not compromise the principle of keeping teams from the same conference in separate regions." - How the field of 68 DI men’s teams is picked for March Madness

Reaction Score
Do we play in Brooklyn on Friday?
6 Games 3 Sessions during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members