00 Jersey Number ?? | The Boneyard

00 Jersey Number ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Kiara Perry, the SMU 5' 10" guard who had the enviable task of guarding Stewie wears the jersey # 00. I cannot remember any hot basketball player wearing the 00. Not in the NBA, ABA or WNBA. It seems like a brash target number. Anybody know of any lore behind the OO jersey in basketball?

PS. Don't quit your day job. This is what you're reduced to when you walk away from the work-a-day world.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Sara Hammond from Louisville wears the same number. Can't help you with any lore around it, though.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Had to check to be sure, but Robert Parish NBA champion with the Celtics in the Bird/McCale era and fierce warrior at center wore the '00'. I am sure there are others as well, but he's the only one I remembered.

Reaction Score
I think Jessica Jackson at Arkansas wears it. Not positive though. She's a good player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Had to check to be sure, but Robert Parish NBA champion with the Celtics in the Bird/McCale era and fierce warrior at center wore the '00'. I am sure there are others as well, but he's the only one I remembered.

You're right. The Chief a/k/a the Broom. He looked at you and you wanted to run into the locker room! And Slick Watts. How could I forget the Chief!

So she has as a hero/role model a 6'10 center or Slick Watts?? Wish SMU had an ask the player posting button. This is gonna keep me up tonite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I recall in a Geno book he mentioned that Diana first said she would like 00. He asked her why in the world would she want such a number as a double zero, the lowest of the low. ( I read this several years ago so I am not quoting Geno's words). She reconsidered.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Didn't Michelle Snow from Tennessee wear 00?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I recall in a Geno book he mentioned that Diana first said she would like 00. He asked her why in the world would she want such a number as a double zero, the lowest of the low. ( I read this several years ago so I am not quoting Geno's words). She reconsidered.
Can't remember the sequence but I am pretty sure she started asking for #1 - that went nowhere fast!
You're right. The Chief a/k/a the Broom. He looked at you and you wanted to run into the locker room! And Slick Watts. How could I forget the Chief!

So she has as a hero/role model a 6'10 center or Slick Watts?? Wish SMU had an ask the player posting button. This is gonna keep me up tonite.
When I checked to be sure on the '00' for Parish - I went to wiki - didn't realize he is the career leader in NBA games played, and also forgot that he got his 4th NC with the Bulls in 97 his 21st year in the league! Celtics retired double ought. Red Auerbach dealt the first overall pick in the 1980 and a second first round pick for the Chief and the 3rd overall pick which they used on McHale. What a front court - Parish in his 5th year, Bird in his second year, and McHale as a rookie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, this 5' 10" guard was the queen of rebounds and blocks in her HS career, so it all figures now. Thanks gang of mine.

Reaction Score
Used to listen to Johnny Most doing the Celts during the Chief, Bird McHale era, and when they were on the tube, man, that 00 could get really high.

Reaction Score
It's a legitimate number that can be signaled by the refs with two hands, so it shouldn't be the big deal people make it to be.

Reaction Score

Actually I think Geno was ticked off, feeling that 00 was kind of a choice made to stand out, which he of course didn't like.
She didn't "reconsider," he said "no, you're going to be #3."

Reaction Score

Wow! Slick Watts! Love it! Talk about fishing an old memory out of the archives. An excellent point guard in Seattle when Bill Russell coached there, a few years before the Supersonics with Lenny Wilkens became championship caliber. However, I do not think Watts wore 00. I've been scratching my head here trying to visualize a number and 00 is not it. The Chief definitely. Montross, absolutely. And I might be wrong about Slick Watts.

Last edited:

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Actually I think Geno was ticked off, feeling that 00 was kind of a choice made to stand out, which he of course didn't like.
She didn't "reconsider," he said "no, you're going to be #3."

Wasn't Babe Ruth #3?

Reaction Score
Wow! Slick Watts! Love it! Talk about fishing an old memory out of the archives. An excellent point guard in Seattle when Bill Russell coached there, a few years before the Supersonics with Lenny Wilkens became championship caliber. However, I do not think Watts wore 00. I've been scratching my head here trying to visualize a number and 00 is not it. The Chief definitely. Montross, absolutely. And I might be wrong about Slick Watts.

Slick Watts did wear 00 at the end of his career.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Wasn't Babe Ruth #3?
The full story, as I recall reading it, was that Diana asked first for #1, then for #0. Geno vetoed both of those choices because he thought that they called too much attention to her as an individual. She was a pouty 18-year-old and argued with him. He finally convinced her to go with #3 by saying that if she wore it, he would make her the Babe Ruth of women's basketball.

Another recruiting promise basically fulfilled.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Wasn't Babe Ruth #3?
Yep, and that's why Geno suggested that DT wear it, saying that she could be the Babe Ruth of WCBB.

According to the old articles, DT first asked for 0, but Geno told her not to be an "idiot," asking her if she thought of herself as a 0 and knowing that UTenn fans would have a field day with stupid jokes. So the DT said she'd take #1, but Geno got ticked about that saying she hadn't earned it, and he also didn't want anyone declaring themselves number one on the Huskies. He than brought in the Babe, and that sealed the deal.

Reaction Score
Yeah, he's not a fan of the 00 by all indications. It's definitely a standout-ish number, and perhaps a bit silly on most players. Stewart would have worn it well, though. :D

Reaction Score
Yep, and that's why Geno suggested that DT wear it, saying that she could be the Babe Ruth of WCBB.

According to the old articles, DT first asked for 0, but Geno told her not to be an "idiot," asking her if she thought of herself as a 0 and knowing that UTenn fans would have a field day with stupid jokes. So the DT said she'd take #1, but Geno got ticked about that saying she hadn't earned it, and he also didn't want anyone declaring themselves number one on the Huskies. He than brought in the Babe, and that sealed the deal.
I believe years later when asked why she wore #3, DT just answered, "Coach told me to."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom