0-3, 0-4, doesn't matter...relax. | The Boneyard

0-3, 0-4, doesn't matter...relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember when we were going after all those guards a 4 or 5 years ago and we whiffed on all of them. We "settled" with Shabazz. How did that work out for us?

Uconn is Uconn because we don't get the players that want to announce their schools on ESPN or ESPNU. We get players that buy into a system and a brotherhood. We are different. We are Uconn. We will win in the end.

Shake and Bake

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Worth noting that we already have two top 60 recruits signed. By our standards, that's a very good position for this time of year.

To paraphrase what @Sandeman said: we are better at winning basketball games in March than recruiting battles in November. But I still believe that, as Ollie continues to establish himself, we'll continue to improve at both.

Reaction Score
The staff invested a lot of time and $ recruiting these kids. We'll be ok but no way to sugar coat going 0-4 on our biggest targets of the past 6 months.

Reaction Score
The staff invested a lot of time and $ recruiting these kids. We'll be ok but no way to sugar coat going 0-4 on our biggest targets of the past 6 months.

We have Adams and Enoch coming in, and likely Stone as well. I would call this a fantastic recruiting class.

Reaction Score
We have Adams and Enoch coming in, and likely Stone as well. I would call this a fantastic recruiting class.

Where is this likely Stone coming from?

Seems to be leaning towards staying i n Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
ASweet3781 said:
Where is this likely Stone coming from? Seems to be leaning towards staying i n Wisconsin.

Where is the evidence of him leaning toward Wisconsin? I don't see "evidence" either way.

Reaction Score
For the sake of this messageboard, we should have just said we're fine at the wing for the next two years with Hamilton and Calhoun, and not even bothered recruiting any of them. None of us would have batted an eye - we would have been fine going all in for Stone with our 12th scholarship and saving the other for next year or a spring surprise (or perhaps a run at Newman).

One year our recruiting class consisted entirely of Donnell Beverly, but we didn't miss on any big targets because we didn't bother trying with a loaded roster of young talent. So there was no recruiting angst. And, hey, that class went to two Final Fours and won a title.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
There is no evidence which way Stone is leaning. I would say more people are favoring him coming to UConn but it is a 2 horse race.

Reaction Score
with stone as was illustrated many weeks ago; the final binary on decision tree is yes/no on cutting cord

parents want vicarious life through son's exploits

impressions indicate this dude is independent thinker

where do you think stone rolls based on this?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
My hope is UConn. But if we lose him to Wisconsin, I won't be particularly upset - Ryan's a good coach, and that's a good school.

I also feel like if we go into the spring period with only Adams & Enoch, then we're still in fine shape, and will be sitting pretty to add any decommits or late bloomers.

Reaction Score
with stone as was illustrated many weeks ago; the final binary on decision tree is yes/no on cutting cord

parents want vicarious life through son's exploits

impressions indicate this dude is independent thinker

You are my hero.

Stone rolls to UCONN!

Reaction Score
To put it simply, if we don't land Stone, it will turn out to be a very disappointing past month or so of recruiting. We just came off winning the national championship. We just opened our new multi million dollar practice facility. And the staff spent relentless hours recruiting a bunch of wings that all decided to go elsewhere. I'd say that's somewhat disappointing. But in the end we'll be ok. We won many national championships with only a handful of highly rated recruits, beating teams that were full of Burger All Americans.

Why we swung and missed on all those wings, I'm not really sure. Proximity was not on our side with any of those recruits, we all need to realize that. And I'm sure that our AAC affiliation isn't working in our favor. If we were part of one of the big 5 conferences, we might have fared much better. I don't know. Having already in the fold Hamilton who is a highly touted freshman also might have played a factor. But there is no sugar coating that the staff spent a lot of time recruiting these wings and were out recruited by all those programs. I can't but feel a bit disappointed about that. Of all those wings, the one I'm most disappointed we did not land was Derek Jones. I really was hoping to see him take his high flying act to Storrs.

The silver lining to all this is that there were a slew of 2016 and beyond recruits at the first night event. I'm assuming among them were a number of wings that are champing at the bit to become a UConn husky and to fill the shoes that Daniel Hamilton is filling right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I enjoyed all of that post, DM, and agree with it.

But mostly I'm happy that you used "champing at the bit" instead of "chomping at the bit" like the rest of these savages might.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We "settled" with Shabazz.

Is that even true? Wasn't he was highly-regarded but somewhat overlooked due to his eligibility status. He reclassified and we were happy to get him. I don't think it was close to "settling".

Reaction Score

But mostly I'm happy that you used "champing at the bit" instead of "chomping at the bit" like the rest of these savages might.

I must confess I had it wrong for years till my wife pointed it out. At first I didn't believe her. Of course she was right as always.

Reaction Score

I have to agree with Fishy here. Excellent post Stu! And I noted the proper use of champing.
As an aside, do we feel that Hamilton is a one and done or is he likely to stay 2?

Reaction Score
I have to agree with Fishy here. Excellent post Stu! And I noted the proper use of champing.
As an aside, do we feel that Hamilton is a one and done or is he likely to stay 2?
I'm hoping at least 2. It's hard to tell till he gets a bunch of games under his belt.

Reaction Score
UConn will be fine. I remember participating in the collective meltdown when we whiffed on Joseph and Knight during 2010, but picked up Napier at the very end. No. 13 now has his number hanging in Gampel as a Husky of Honor, so I think we did OK. We'll be fine without these kids too.

Reaction Score
I think many struggle with the idea that it's okay to be disappointed with the recruiting results, but still also have faith that the program will continue to be successful.

Speaking strictly for myself, I just had hoped it would be different and that KO would be able to land a good percentage of his plan-A targets. It just seems that didn't happen with the wings and might not happen at the center position either, unless they land Stone.

One thing that I've wondering the past few weeks, should Ollie have focused a little more on some of the regional talent over trying to land recruits that are outside our region. I'm not saying that UConn shouldn't recruit nationally and globally, but when you aim very high and do so wide reaching, you run the risk of coming up empty, when you might have been able to land some recruits that might not have been quite as good but ones more attainable. With that said, they did land Adams and Enoch, who I think are not just local talent but among the best at their position and a good fit for UConn. It's always hard to tell when certain recruits are no longer on the radar, if it's UConn losing interest in them, or them losing interest in UConn. So it's very likely that the wings and centers that are within our region simply weren't interested in our Huskies. And it's not like UConn is recruiting a whole bunch of top 20 recruits, granted Stone is an elite prospect, but Clark Jones and Mack are ranked between 40 and 70, and not ones you think would be out of reach.

Reaction Score
This is a joke. Jalen Adams is a top 25-30 prospect and Enoch is a late bloomer who should end up in the top 50. We were going after wings who saw Dham at their position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom