OT: - 0.05 of a second! Women's 100m dash | The Boneyard

OT: 0.05 of a second! Women's 100m dash

Reaction Score
Remember Elaine Thompson-Herah from the Olympics? Gold medalist in the 100m and 200m, also 4x100. She just ran a 10.54 in the 100m. That's only 0.05 seconds slower than Florence Griffith Joyner's 1988 record. She also became the first woman in history to run 40 km/h. :eek:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Remember Elaine Thompson-Herah from the Olympics? Gold medalist in the 100m and 200m, also 4x100. She just ran a 10.54 in the 100m. That's only 0.05 seconds slower than Florence Griffith Joyner's 1988 record. She also became the first woman in history to run 40 km/h. :eek:

Did the woman who couldn't go to the Olympics because of marijuana run?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And then there's the 800m. The US gold medalist from the Olympics, Athing Mu, breaks the US record. Super fast, but so graceful. I could watch her run all day long.

Mu is a special athlete. She will likely double in both the 800 & 400 in Paris in 2024. She is also well on her way to becoming a very rich young lady, having signed a 7-figure endorsement deal with Nike earlier this year just before the US Olympic trials

Reaction Score
Yes she did. Unfortunately she finished last.
If you are referring to Sha'Carri Richardson she did not race in the Olympics. She did finish last in the Prefontaine Classic on the 21st and finished last in that.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
If you are referring to Sha'Carri Richardson she did not race in the Olympics. She did finish last in the Prefontaine Classic on the 21st and finished last in that.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know she was not allowed to run in the Olympics. But I had read this was her chance to complete against the top three finishers at the Olympics. I was wondering how she did. Now I'm wondering why she didn't do very well. Might be an injury?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know she was not allowed to run in the Olympics. But I had read this was her chance to complete against the top three finishers at the Olympics. I was wondering how she did. Now I'm wondering why she didn't do very well. Might be an injury?
I watched the race and saw her interview afterwards. She said nothing about an injury, said she's exactly where she wants to be post Olympics (ie. her form, etc.), and that people who write her off will be proven wrong as she will be back. She also dropped the word $#!t on national television! I guess it was live cuz they didn't bleep it out.

IMHO she's a little too flashy and arrogant for my taste. Long fake hair, nails that are at least 3" long, glitter makeup, etc. I get that some people may like it, I'm just not a fan. Compare her to the classy attitude and demeanor of the 3 Jamaicans who beat the tar out of her, and I prefer the way they present and handle themselves.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Can we assume that this fantastic 10.54 time is NOT wind-aided?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I watched the race and saw her interview afterwards. She said nothing about an injury, said she's exactly where she wants to be post Olympics (ie. her form, etc.), and that people who write her off will be proven wrong as she will be back. She also dropped the word $#!t on national television! I guess it was live cuz they didn't bleep it out.

IMHO she's a little too flashy and arrogant for my taste. Long fake hair, nails that are at least 3" long, glitter makeup, etc. I get that some people may like it, I'm just not a fan. Compare her to the classy attitude and demeanor of the 3 Jamaicans who beat the tar out of her, and I prefer the way they present and handle themselves.
As poorly as Richardson did in the Prefontaine Classic, you have to wonder if she’s done any serious training since her positive drug test & DQ at the Trials. She really was not ready to compete against that talented field.

Reaction Score
Richardson came in last, which tells me she wasn't race-ready. Jamaicans are elite sprinters, but so is Richardson. Sometimes a loss is what you need to refocus. She'll bounce back. I'd put big money on it.

Reaction Score
Can we assume that this fantastic 10.54 time is NOT wind-aided?
It's a legal time, but yes there was wind: +0.9 m/s Times that do not qualify for records start at +2 m/s.

Another data point: Elaine's Olympic record of 10.61 was set running into a -0.6 m/s headwind. Personally I don't think there's enough leeway left in the wind rule alone to make her faster than FloJo's time. But Elaine is an exceptionally businesslike athlete. I feel sure she's working to improve her time regardless of wind. Whether she succeeds or not, the journey will be fun to watch!

Reaction Score
The world records in the 100, 400 and 800 were all set in the 80s, before the start of randomized drug testing. Testing for HGH didn't become available until after the turn of the century.
None of those record holders (including Flo-Jo) ever failed a drug test during that time ::shrug:: , but IMO there's a huge block of salt attached to their records.

Reaction Score
I consider that time to be the "real" world record, because Flo-Jo's 10.49 had an official wind reading of 0.0 on a day that was very obviously windy. A likely instrument malfunction, IMO.

Reaction Score
@cordarone @iri10 My view of both issues (and others like technical advances in shoes, training and track construction) is that we have to honor the decision of the sport's governing authority. If they say a record was set, whatever the rules or technology at the time, then fans should honor that.

Possibly not a popular view here on the BY where we love to debate everything, GOAT status most of all. But it's not like athletes can hop into a time machine to run races at a time when they think the circumstances favor them more. So I accept the 1988 record as legit. And if the record falls I'll accept the new one as legit too.

Reaction Score
No injury. She just wasn’t “star-struck” by the three Jamaicans.

Reaction Score
Mild upset in the women's 200m , as our local ( Northampton, Ma) Olympic bronze medalist Gabby Thomas was edged out by Kamundji from Switzerland.

Reaction Score
The world records in the 100, 400 and 800 were all set in the 80s, before the start of randomized drug testing. Testing for HGH didn't become available until after the turn of the century.
None of those record holders (including Flo-Jo) ever failed a drug test during that time ::shrug:: , but IMO there's a huge block of salt attached to their records.
My view is quite the opposite. Those recognized records were set DESPITE not having access to the advanced technology. Equipment and even diet and training regimens available to today’s subsidized athletes. Therefore these older records should not only be respected, but the source of real acclaim.

Reaction Score
Yes, those athletes had inferior training, equipment, nutrition. What was accessible by then were PEDS, whose use was accelerating at that time given the success of the state-sponsored doping programs in the Eastern bloc countries.

It's taken decades for testing programs to at least curb PED use. I'm under no illusion today's athletes are lily-white clean, but it is much harder to dope if there's the threat of unannounced out-of-competition testing along with the ability to retroactively test for drugs from prior competitions.

Jmo, I view these records in the same regard as I view Barry Bonds' 73 HRs in a season - it's the record and more power to whoever eventually breaks it. But some great feat to revere and celebrate? That's a tough sell right there.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We got ourselves a rivalry...and it may well lead to a world record in the 100 meters.
Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce [Jamaican] won the 100 in Switzerland yesterday in world third best ever in 10.60.
She beat the Olympic gold medalist [Jamaican] Elaine Thompson-Herah who got second in 10.64.
There was an [allowable] slight following wind. Thompson-Herah of course scared Flo-Jo's 10.49 world record with her 10.54 at the Olympics.

Get these two going at each other in the near future....maybe 10.49 falls.

Note: Fraser-Price is 34...not sure about Elaine. Uhh...NEAR future.

Edit: Elaine is 29.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes, those athletes had inferior training, equipment, nutrition. What was accessible by then were PEDS, whose use was accelerating at that time given the success of the state-sponsored doping programs in the Eastern bloc countries.

It's taken decades for testing programs to at least curb PED use. I'm under no illusion today's athletes are lily-white clean, but it is much harder to dope if there's the threat of unannounced out-of-competition testing along with the ability to retroactively test for drugs from prior competitions.

Jmo, I view these records in the same regard as I view Barry Bonds' 73 HRs in a season - it's the record and more power to whoever eventually breaks it. But some great feat to revere and celebrate? That's a tough sell right there.
It's a tricky subject and there's so much gray area. Reasons for suspicion abound, both for the decades-old world records and the current top athletes.

The WRs of Flo-Jo in the 100 and 200 (1988), Koch in the 400 (1985) and Kratochvilova in the 800 (1983) seem highly unlikely to be "clean" given the weight of historical circumstance, but how can we be assured that today's dopers aren't exploiting the cracks and loopholes that WADA isn't yet wise to? Detection science is always playing catch-up to performance science.

Among the evidence frequently cited against Flo-Jo was her astonishing improvement in just the last few months leading up to the 1988 US trials and Olympics. Well, I'd say that Elaine Thompson's improvement just this summer — and especially between her 3rd place finish in the 100m at the Jamaican trials to threatening the world record in Tokyo and Eugene — is no less astonishing. I guess we're to believe she found just the right training-and-nutrition mojo just in the nick of time?

It's well known now that out-of-competition testing is critical to even a minimal semblance of effective anti-doping control (since only the most obtuse or careless get caught in competition). But when we look under the hood of today's anti-doping structure, we see that compliance with OOC testing rules is, for all practical purposes, in the hands of the national anti-doping organizations (NADOs), which are of widely varying robustness and integrity. It's a minor miracle that, contrasted to the wild success of Jamaican sprinting, the laughable inadequacy of the Jamaican anti-doping agency hasn't yet been a bigger story or led to any significant repercussions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom