OT: - 0.05 of a second! Women's 100m dash | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: 0.05 of a second! Women's 100m dash

Reaction Score
It's a tricky subject and there's so much gray area. Reasons for suspicion abound, both for the decades-old world records and the current top athletes.

The WRs of Flo-Jo in the 100 and 200 (1988), Koch in the 400 (1985) and Kratochvilova in the 800 (1983) seem highly unlikely to be "clean" given the weight of historical circumstance, but how can we be assured that today's dopers aren't exploiting the cracks and loopholes that WADA isn't yet wise to? Detection science is always playing catch-up to performance science.

Among the evidence frequently cited against Flo-Jo was her astonishing improvement in just the last few months leading up to the 1988 US trials and Olympics. Well, I'd say that Elaine Thompson's improvement just this summer — and especially between her 3rd place finish in the 100m at the Jamaican trials to threatening the world record in Tokyo and Eugene — is no less astonishing. I guess we're to believe she found just the right training-and-nutrition mojo just in the nick of time?

It's well known now that out-of-competition testing is critical to even a minimal semblance of effective anti-doping control (since only the most obtuse or careless get caught in competition). But when we look under the hood of today's anti-doping structure, we see that compliance with OOC testing rules is, for all practical purposes, in the hands of the national anti-doping organizations (NADOs), which are of widely varying robustness and integrity. It's a minor miracle that, contrasted to the wild success of Jamaican sprinting, the laughable inadequacy of the Jamaican anti-doping agency hasn't yet been a bigger story or led to any significant repercussions.

Not to dismiss your point of view, but this article “WADA Warns Jamaica” refers to the “London Olympics, 2012”, and not the “Tokyo Olympics 2020/2021”. But the rules and goals of no doping still apply.
Yes, most countries sending representatives to the Olympics, regardless of their size in population, or position in global financial standings, aspire to have “clean”athletes show up and represent. And like the USA, Jamaica has had its share of issues in tightening up the loopholes that “dirty” athletes keep finding. However, things have significantly improved for the better, matching the requirements of the IOC. It is now at the point where the athletes are rigorously tested, especially after such performances at the Tokyo Olympics.
Finally, Jamaica is an island that has always shown up on the world’s track stage, but some people forget about that. They even try to be insultive by saying it’s a place where “Jamaicans walk barefoot to get to their coconut carts”. Criticize the locals all you want, but they are constantly reminded to remain humble, respectful and appreciative. Work hard, and the success will come. And it has, and is still coming. Everyone knows that athletic success doesn’t last forever, so right now, Jamaicans all over the globe are giddily celebrating the women’s performances of 1,2,3, (Tokyo, [Diamond League 2021 — Prefontaine Classic, Lausanne Classic]).
Congratulations to the Jamaican athletes! Congratulations to all the athletes who represented, and still are representing their countries! This Jamerican (Jamaican-American) is very proud of you!!!

Reaction Score
Well, I'd say that Elaine Thompson's improvement just this summer — and especially between her 3rd place finish in the 100m at the Jamaican trials to threatening the world record in Tokyo and Eugene — is no less astonishing.
I don't agree with this. Thompson-Herah is not some flash in the pan; she was the gold medalist in Rio too. In fact, if you do some wind assist math her times have been pretty consistent since 2012. Some steady minor improvement (hundredth's of seconds) over time, but that's typical of sprinters.

Besides, trials are a bad predictor of top end speed. They are run strategically to minimize wear and tear. It's standard practice among (smart, experienced) runners to take your foot off the gas once you're sure you've qualified.

Detection science is always playing catch-up to performance science.
I also think this is true, and it's the basis of my earlier reasoning for "legit" records. Either you trust the governing body of the sport to adjust as needed to keep things fair, or you watch a different sport. What other choice is there, really?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET
Top Bottom