“Storrs Central” | Page 5 | The Boneyard

“Storrs Central”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I ask again if Dan Hurley/the coaching staff/the AD have publicly stated they will be supporting this endeavor? The tweet there is claiming Calipari himself will be involved in theirs. I just have a hard time believing privileged info will suddenly become available with this tight lipped program.

This is an grey area. There may be some rules about how much he can participate or openly discuss it. NIL laws vary from state to state and the NCAA hasn’t been all that clear. UConn might take a different stance than Kentuckys to avoid issues.

Reaction Score
Watch the video Jared & Jared made. He explains the entire financial aspect. Of course any organization, non-profit or otherwise, is going to have fees to operate (server costs, tech, etc.). 100% of the proceeds means after those costs.

None of us on Twitter are being paid a cent to promote it, we are doing it because it’s what the basketball & football programs need (and want) to be successful, and we want to help promote that success. I hope you and others will choose to promote and support that success as well.
I think 100% of the proceeds means 100% of the proceeds. All funds "will be used to support UConn student-athletes and the UConn NIL effort." The NIL effort includes admin and overhead costs.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think 100% of the proceeds means 100% of the proceeds. All funds "will be used to support UConn student-athletes and the UConn NIL effort." The NIL effort includes admin and overhead costs.
I agree that proceeds can be ambiguous because it can be used to mean both the total amount brought in OR total amount after expenses… maybe “100% of profits” would be a clearer or better way to state that.

Either way, their goal is to maximize every subscription dollar they bring in to go to athletes and I believe they will do that effectively (as they have already proven to be a valuable NIL partner to our basketball and football programs this year).

Reaction Score
The Boneyard is an iconic brand that will continue to exist and thrive. Storrs Central is a result of the new NCAA NIL/portal world that college athletes/coaches are dealing with. Each can be successful in their own lanes and NIL platforms can provide UConn with the ability to compete for top-level recruits vs the big conferences.

Money talks. Are you in or out for UConn?

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I agree that proceeds can be ambiguous because it can be used to mean both the total amount brought in OR total amount after expenses… maybe “100% of profits” would be a clearer or better way to state that.

Either way, their goal is to maximize every subscription dollar they bring in to go to athletes and I believe they will do that effectively (as they have already proven to be a valuable NIL partner to our basketball and football programs this year).

I've always viewed proceeds as meaning the first definition below.

IMG_4124.jpeg

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Well, I was gonna join. I did set up the free account to start, but now this is what I see every time I click on the site.

IMG_2954.jpeg

Reaction Score
Last edited:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I think it technically launches March 18 so that may be why
Well, like I said, I was able to sign up a couple of days ago. Maybe it’s down now until they go live. in the mean time they sent me an email on how to join this morning, but none of the links work.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tough pitch to pay for a community involving the plump masked guy

I believe the "community" comment above was referring to BBfG working with student-athletes giving back to the community at large - schools, children's hospitals, etc.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I finally got around to listening to Jared's video on Storrs Central. I get the sense he's pretty Squirrley targeting The Boneyard as a competitor. To work pretty hard to avoid saying the name. And when Jared pushed him he said "The Boneyard been around forever, we're not targeting anyone" and then just moved on really quickly.

He said goal is to be "the one stop UConn site. He can't do that while The Boneyard exists. That said , he said that they are looking to promote, or continue to promote NIL for Connecticut with the proceeds going to that after undefined "expenses ". His vision is pretty grand and if he pulls it off successfully It'll put a dent in traffic here.

Reaction Score
I give money to the NIL anyway - so unless the content is compelling I'd rather not. Don't need yet another time suck :)

Reaction Score
I give money to the NIL anyway - so unless the content is compelling I'd rather not. Don't need yet another time suck :)

I’m starting think this as well. I’ll let it play out a bit. I don’t want to endanger the Boneyard in the name of NIL. It’s too valuable a community and resource to risk destroying. I can just donate a $100 rather than subscribe for $100 if I want to.

It’s an awkward situation. Tom can’t really say much because it would be viewed as sour grapes, but the Boneyard getting ruined by this entity is very possible. That’s something I won’t support. Also, as you said, I just can’t squander even more time on another board.

Reaction Score
I’m starting think this as well. I’ll let it play out a bit. I don’t want to endanger the Boneyard in the name of NIL. It’s too valuable a community and resource to risk destroying. I can just donate a $100 rather than subscribe for $100 if I want to.

It’s an awkward situation. Tom can’t really say much because it would be viewed as sour grapes, but the Boneyard getting ruined by this entity is very possible. That’s something I won’t support. Also, as you said, I just can’t squander even more time on another board.

Right. I'm not anti-Storrs Central or anything that is pro-UCONN. We all have choices how to spend our time and money, however, and we can be supportive of the school without spending time away from the BY. I was so pumped after we won last year that I donated $500 to BBFG towards the NIL effort - so I won't feel guilty if I don't join SC.

Reaction Score

That's my thoughts, basically. I'm still giving money every quarter to BBFG unless my finances go to hell and a handbasket. But I don't really need another place to post. I spend too much time in this hellscape already.

Reaction Score
A win-win might be to read content at Storrs Central and post and read discussions here at the Boneyard. Maybe it will be better than the Courant or CT Insider. I don't subscribe to those sites so it's a pain to try to read their articles. During my searches I often end up at The UConn Blog at SB Nation. They post good articles but it's not used by UConn fans as a discussion forum. I'm curious what their traffic is like since there are never any comments.

There are many places to read about UConn Huskies and this is the place to discuss UConn Huskies, and countless other topics like entertainment.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Echoing others waiting to see how good the “inside” content and articles are before contributing. If they really get inside scoops about recruiting and practice that seem to have completely vanished since Hurley got here, it’ll be worth every penny to me. Otherwise a direct contribution to BBFG does seem like the better path for most of us.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If Storrs central is actually genuine about not eating into the BY, then why is there a forum to begin with?

Honestly, you'd probably be better served just soliciting $100 donations and send out tee shirts or hats ala PBS. What information could possibly be considered "exclusive" enough to be advertised as the carrot for joining when you could just see it here or on Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom