“Storrs Central” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

“Storrs Central”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you mean by subscribe, but I was able to create a free account without any issue.
A paid subscription. I signed up.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Yeah he’s asking strangers for 100+ dollars per year to join a website that seemingly isn't offering anything unique or unavailable in other places.

Then on top of that is getting pissy with those of us who dare expect direct and unambiguous answers as to how this whole thing is funded and where our money is actually going.

Has the coaching staff acknowledged they plan to support this initiative? Do the players have permission to share privileged information about the program/recruiting? Just having access to people doesn’t mean they’ll tell you anything important, I’ve been there.

But besides the questions and criticism, I’m glad BBFG has been so successful in raising NIL and its function as a charity is great for the community. Hopefully the sponsorships come through sooner than later and most if not all the donated funds can be put towards the athletes.
Listen to the podcast.

Siv

Reaction Score
Not specific to Storrs Central, but is there a working assumption on how NIL money raised on behalf of the entire department is prioritized among teams and players?

As I understand the current rules, the athletic department still needs to maintain some distance from having control over these monies. Does that mean someone at the NIL apportions funds between football and basketball as they deem fit?

Reaction Score
Think the AD can share 'priorities' to inform the decisions that get made by the NIL folks

Reaction Score
Interesting that many of the people from UConn Twitter the Storrs Central team is using to influence UConn Nation to sign up are a bunch of anonymous people who hide behind their Twitter handles. Don't love the idea of paying to sign up for something because Mister Hot B***s or HurleyMania or NoEscalators promises me its going to be the best site ever. They mine as well have a Nigerian heir to the throne send me an email about it as well.

I'm sure the site will be great, and I will likely sign up, but would be nice to be swayed by a real people.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Interesting that many of the people from UConn Twitter the Storrs Central team is using to influence UConn Nation to sign up are a bunch of anonymous people who hide behind their Twitter handles. Don't love the idea of paying to sign up for something because Mister or HurleyMania or NoEscalators promises me its going to be the best site ever. They mine as well have a Nigerian heir to the throne send me an email about it as well.

I'm sure the site will be great, and I will likely sign up, but would be nice to be swayed by a real people.
For real people I prefer the Yard. People here are real....right? Actually - IDK.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Interesting that many of the people from UConn Twitter the Storrs Central team is using to influence UConn Nation to sign up are a bunch of anonymous people who hide behind their Twitter handles. Don't love the idea of paying to sign up for something because Mister or HurleyMania or NoEscalators promises me its going to be the best site ever. They mine as well have a Nigerian heir to the throne send me an email about it as well.

Hi. I go by Penfield on social media but my real name is Br, I’m a UConn fan and alum - CLAS ‘06. I think this site is the best option I’ve seen so far to create a sustainable NIL stream.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Hi. I go by Penfield on social media but my real name is Br, I’m a UConn fan and alum - CLAS ‘06. I think this site is the best option I’ve seen so far to create a sustainable NIL stream.
With you. I’m real. At least, when I pinch myself, it hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the only place where I actually post and read comments. It is the only forum where UConn fans who really follow the programs closely have in-depth discussion and debate. And the only place with true game-day poetry.
I get news from all over the place but I don't pay for it. Our family has too many other financial obligations.
I'll register at Storrs Central for free and see if any of the free content is worth reading. I already spend way too much time getting more than enough UConn info here.
I'll read the reviews here once the site is actually up and running to get feedback.
I can donate to NIL directly but I don't think I will. I view NIL as the student-athletes' opportunity to earn sponsorship dollars. I don't believe in this whole raising money to try to pay student-athletes more than the next program. I don’t agree with NIL but that's just me and that’s a different discussion.
It is good to know we have folks putting in serious efforts to keep UConn Athletics at the forefront and navigating all these crazy changes. At least until it all blows up.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
With you. I’m real. At least, when I pinch myself, it hurts.
When I fall in a forest I am like 99.8% sure I make a sound.

That said I love the Yard and spend god knows too many hours here. I think and hope this will be a supplement not a replacement to the BY. Like most of you, I find it impossible to get too much UConn content. More the better.

Reaction Score
This is world we live in now. BBfG has done some incredible work on the front end with charity and on the backend of competing in the NIL landscape.

It has the support of UConn Athletics (the AD has sent multiple emails in the last year pushing BBfG events) and is the best vehicle to stay competitive in revenue sports.

The idea isn't to promote me or anyone else, but to get people on board with everyone chipping in a little to make a huge impact.

You don't have to subscribe, you can also just donate directly but the idea is to give something back to fans in return while staying continually invested in NIL.

A common complaint here is beat reporter coverage sucks. Well...here's how you get better coverage while also bettering UConn Athletics.

It's not meant to challenge the BY, it's not a zero sum game. It's complementary. We are all on the same team.

Reaction Score
Yeah he’s asking strangers for 100+ dollars per year to join a website that seemingly isn't offering anything unique or unavailable in other places.

Then on top of that is getting pissy with those of us who dare expect direct and unambiguous answers as to how this whole thing is funded and where our money is actually going.

Has the coaching staff acknowledged they plan to support this initiative? Do the players have permission to share privileged information about the program/recruiting? Just having access to people doesn’t mean they’ll tell you anything important, I’ve been there.

But besides the questions and criticism, I’m glad BBFG has been so successful in raising NIL and its function as a charity is great for the community. Hopefully the sponsorships come through sooner than later and most if not all the donated funds can be put towards the athletes.

Sounds about right.

Twitter finds everything posted behind a paywall within minutes. There is no reason to pay for something I can get for free. I have and will donate to BBFG, but I'm not going to pay for a subscription and pretend I'm getting something unique for my money.

Reaction Score
This is world we live in now. BBfG has done some incredible work on the front end with charity and on the backend of competing in the NIL landscape.

It has the support of UConn Athletics (the AD has sent multiple emails in the last year pushing BBfG events) and is the best vehicle to stay competitive in revenue sports.

The idea isn't to promote me or anyone else, but to get people on board with everyone chipping in a little to make a huge impact.

You don't have to subscribe, you can also just donate directly but the idea is to give something back to fans in return while staying continually invested in NIL.

A common complaint here is beat reporter coverage sucks. Well...here's how you get better coverage while also bettering UConn Athletics.

It's not meant to challenge the BY, it's not a zero sum game. It's complementary. We are all on the same team.

Sounds great.

Tough crowd over here.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the only place where I actually post and read comments. It is the only forum where UConn fans who really follow the programs closely have in-depth discussion and debate. And the only place with true game-day poetry.
I get news from all over the place but I don't pay for it. Our family has too many other financial obligations.
I'll register at Storrs Central for free and see if any of the free content is worth reading. I already spend way too much time getting more than enough UConn info here.
I'll read the reviews here once the site is actually up and running to get feedback.
I can donate to NIL directly but I don't think I will. I view NIL as the student-athletes' opportunity to earn sponsorship dollars. I don't believe in this whole raising money to try to pay student-athletes more than the next program. I don’t agree with NIL but that's just me and that’s a different discussion.
It is good to know we have folks putting in serious efforts to keep UConn Athletics at the forefront and navigating all these crazy changes. At least until it all blows up.
I love the Yard as well. I will always come here for info. It is nice, however, to have an alternate source of info that can also contribute to NIL. I’m old and soon to be retired. (CLAS 82) This is the kind of support I can handle. I’ll still support in other ways, but this is an easy call for me. I respect all other opinions on this. I think as time goes on, we will see this site’s worth. If not, well then I gave it a shot. It‘s only a 100 bucks for the first year.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Sounds about right.

Twitter finds everything posted behind a paywall within minutes. There is no reason to pay for something I can get for free. I have and will donate to BBFG, but I'm not going to pay for a subscription and pretend I'm getting something unique for my money.
Sorry, but I deleted “X” a while ago. It’s a cesspool…get it?

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's going to be great and excited for it. But all I'm trying to say is to give it some authenticity, maybe work to land a media interview with a local reporter or send an email about it. Because when you (meaning Storrs Central) state 100% of the proceeds go toward UConn's NIL/student athletes, I question if that is really true right now given the number of social media influencers promoting this. Are y'all not getting compensated to promote it?

Reaction Score
I'm sure it's going to be great and excited for it. But all I'm trying to say is to give it some authenticity, maybe work to land a media interview with a local reporter or send an email about it. Because when you (meaning Storrs Central) state 100% of the proceeds go toward UConn's NIL/student athletes, I question if that is really true right now given the number of social media influencers promoting this. Are y'all not getting compensated to promote it?
"100% of proceeds will be used to support UConn student-athletes and the UConn NIL effort."

Reaction Score
I had a chance to listen to the first 20 minutes or so of the podcast. He claims that no one has been paid to promote it, which I genuinely believe. He did make it clear that it's a for-profit enterprise.

I'm not big on using the word proceeds and then saying the split is 80/20. Most people assume proceeds to be all the money taken in. Net profit would have probably been a more direct way to explain it.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
"100% of proceeds will be used to support UConn student-athletes and the UConn NIL effort."
The UConn NIL effort includes paying those that put in the effort correct? I’m totally ok with that.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
In the industry I worked in New Englanders were always the last ones willing to make a change. That has never been more apparent than in this thread. And it’s not a change, it’s an add on. it’s also the way things are going in College sports.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I ask again if Dan Hurley/the coaching staff/the AD have publicly stated they will be supporting this endeavor? The tweet there is claiming Calipari himself will be involved in theirs. I just have a hard time believing privileged info will suddenly become available with this tight lipped program.

Reaction Score
I had a chance to listen to the first 20 minutes or so of the podcast. He claims that no one has been paid to promote it, which I genuinely believe. He did make it clear that it's a for-profit enterprise.

I'm not big on using the word proceeds and then saying the split is 80/20. Most people assume proceeds to be all the money taken in. Net profit would have probably been a more direct way to explain it.
If it’s for profit there’s a ying and a yang here.

1. They’ll want to get paid and/but
2. Long term they’ll only get paid if they get results, help to drive success in hoops AND football.

Said differently. - if they help to get us into a better overall conference for both sports that matter

Align those incentives boys!!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Watch the video Jared & Jared made. He explains the entire financial aspect. Of course any organization, non-profit or otherwise, is going to have fees to operate (server costs, tech, etc.). 100% of the proceeds means after those costs.

None of us on Twitter are being paid a cent to promote it, we are doing it because it’s what the basketball & football programs need (and want) to be successful, and we want to help promote that success. I hope you and others will choose to promote and support that success as well.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I ask again if Dan Hurley/the coaching staff/the AD have publicly stated they will be supporting this endeavor? The tweet there is claiming Calipari himself will be involved in theirs. I just have a hard time believing privileged info will suddenly become available with this tight lipped program.
Watch the video, Jared explains it all. Everyone involved in the basketball and football programs are behind this. I think Jared mentioned that 75% of UConns NIL comes from Bleeding Blue for Good.

The team Dan Hurley assembled this season would not be possible without this NIL collective.

As of now, it’s been a lot of big fish donors funding it and this is their model to get grassroots fans like you and me involved in supporting our student athletes, while also getting some value in exchange.

The specifics of how our money will be spent, how fees / expenses will be covered and fund distributed to athletes is explained in the podcast…

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

The athletic department has sent emails about BBFG and this is the same people just a new initiative.

I am not being compensated to promote this. I have been compensated to promote other things but not this. I am promoting it because I like UConn athletics and I want to keep winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom