“Saturday doesn’t matter” | The Boneyard

“Saturday doesn’t matter”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I haven't come across that yet. I did hear a headshaker on Wednesday. Guy says, "This is a big game tonight. Villanova's playing great, I fully expect to lose on Saturday."

Reaction Score
Numerous media people have been saying this. From a BET standing perspective, yeah sure it doesn't matter if we get a 4 or 5 seed since they play each other...But we are still fighting for a 3/4 seed in the East regional. Every game matters. Our guys understand that, the media people are just dumb

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Numerous media people have been saying this. From a BET standing perspective, yeah sure it doesn't matter if we get a 4 or 5 seed since they play each other...But we are still fighting for a 3/4 seed in the East regional. Every game matters. Our guys understand that, the media people are just dumb
Honestly. Lappas was doing mental gymnastics on the broadcast the other day. It doesn't matter.... except it does for NCAA seeding. Ok Steve.

Reaction Score
Honestly. Lappas was doing mental gymnastics on the broadcast the other day. It doesn't matter.... except it does for NCAA seeding. Ok Steve.
That was the other announcer. He was trying to make the game sound meaningless and UConn might as well sit Hawkins. Lappas was telling him that's not how it works and the game is important.

Reaction Score
It matters to the team because a victory against a big nemesis over the years gives us momentum going into the BET.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Love our guy Rob Dauster but he suggested something similar. Realize a win doesn’t vault us up significantly, but it keeps us steady and in the case other teams lose ahead of us, allows us to pass them. Absolutely matters.

I listened to the podcast this morning, he wasn't saying the game doesn't matter. He was more trying to temper expectations if they do lose that it's not the end of the world because he knows how us husky fans freak out over losses lol. Remember the reaction on this board when we lost to Creighton by 3 in Omaha?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
From 30,000’, it probably doesn’t matter a heck of a lot.

But from ground level, I think it means a hell of a lot. The team is probably starting to feel like it did in December and winning a big conference game on the road keeps that going into the offseason.

Reaction Score
I listened to the podcast this morning, he wasn't saying the game doesn't matter. He was more trying to temper expectations if they do lose that it's not the end of the world because he knows how us husky fans freak out over losses lol. Remember the reaction on this board when we lost to Creighton by 3 in Omaha?
Yes agreed that his main point was don’t freak out. Thought I heard a little bit of doesn’t matter tones though. Was certainly the secondary point not the main.

Reaction Score
As they say, It's not the destination, It's the journey. Of course it matters. Every single day matters.

We play today. We win today. Das it.

Reaction Score
Could very well be a Q1 game on Selection Sunday if Nova does what many are saying they could do and win a couple in the BET. They’re currently 76 in the NET.

Any Q1 win is massive, so yes, it matters.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
That was the other announcer. He was trying to make the game sound meaningless and UConn might as well sit Hawkins. Lappas was telling him that's not how it works and the game is important.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the play by play guy was responding to what Lappas had remarked earlier in the telecast. And then Lappas realized that what he said made no sense, because it does matter for NCAA seeding. Altogether, a pretty silly exchange.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
it's not a must win but as a road win it would be one of our 5 biggest wins of the year along w/ bama, marquette, crieghton, and pc. i'd put it over isu.
It would be the biggest win of the season. Bama is the only one close . This is a March road game against a very good team who is finally healthy and fighting for their tourney life. I want this one bad.

Reaction Score
I haven't come across that yet. I did hear a headshaker on Wednesday. Guy says, "This is a big game tonight. Villanova's playing great, I fully expect to lose on Saturday."
I haven't heard it either.

Any game against Villanova is a chance to flex our muscles and build confidence. It always matters.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the play by play guy was responding to what Lappas had remarked earlier in the telecast. And then Lappas realized that what he said made no sense, because it does matter for NCAA seeding. Altogether, a pretty silly exchange.
Gotcha, I didn't hear the earlier part. The part I did hear was nonsensical talk.

Reaction Score
Lappas said it on the depaul broadcast, and now people are parroting it. It's an insane notion for a few different reasons, mostly march momentum, and tourney seeding.

Also shows how ridiculous people are, and how influential media is. They hear it once on TV, and all of a sudden, and idea that makes no sense (never has), is a real conversation topic.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It would be the biggest win of the season. Bama is the only one close . This is a March road game against a very good team who is finally healthy and fighting for their tourney life. I want this one bad.

Marquette just went 17-3 in conference and Alabama is ranked #2, no way is Villanova bigger than either or those games.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
From 30,000’, it probably doesn’t matter a heck of a lot.

But from ground level, I think it means a hell of a lot. The team is probably starting to feel like it did in December and winning a big conference game on the road keeps that going into the offseason.
From 30,000 feet, it means a lot. If we lose that game and then the first game in the BET, we probably drop to a 5 seed (we are currently a 4 according to just about every bracketologist at the moment).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom