“I couldn’t want it more than anything in my life besides my family". | Page 4 | The Boneyard

“I couldn’t want it more than anything in my life besides my family".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed to an extent.

TJW gets credit for finishing strong and improving this team.

Not wanting him to get the head coaching gig isn't an indictment to the job he did. We can absolutely not afford to miss on this hire and while no coach is a sure thing, it seems like Narduzzi and co. are more proven commodities.

I did not say TJW would or should be hired. There are candidates who have more experience going for them. That statement, however, is a long way from acting like 3-5 is meaningful and that he inherited a situation where he had a chance to win right away. He didn't. Real life is not like a video game.

Reaction Score
I'm not signing up anyone. But all I keep seeing is you guys talking about head coaching experience and then immediately removing Narduzzis ________ from your _________ so you can proclaim his greatness because he ran an excellent defense with the best players in the country.

The guy doesn't need to coach up 2 and 3* players when they are getting the best that college football has to offer. UCONN is not going to be pulling in MSU caliber players even if the best coach in the world is here. Until we get out of this mess of a conference we need someone who can coach up talent. The same qualities that got UCONN to the Fiesta Bowl.

Wardes going to hire his guy and he will have to live with that decision. He made the right move with Ollie, I'm thinking he will make the right move here since he is also very familiar with the sport.

Reaction Score
I think TJ is down the list and that is not to say that he didn't do a terrific job of keeping the team together and salvaging something from this season. That said, I don't think he is so far down the list that he doesn't have a shot if WM's top 2,3,4 candidates don't pan out.

I will say this, his best decision may have been giving Casey a long hard look. That kid has played some fantastic football. Yesterday, he had the whole thing going in slow motion. I haven't seen a UCONN QB see the field the way he does in a long-long time. If you had told me at the beginning of the season that CC might be one of the key cogs to getting UCONN back on a winning track I would have said you were nuts.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
[:quote="businesslawyer, post: 779728, member: 55"]I did not say TJW would or should be hired. There are candidates who have more experience going for them. That statement, however, is a long way from acting like 3-5 is meaningful and that he inherited a situation where he had a chance to win right away. He didn't. Real life is not like a video game.[/quote]

After I made my post, I kind of realized my comments were more generalized than actually in response to your post.

I'm in full agreement that it's not plug and play with regards to coaching.

Reaction Score
The guy doesn't need to coach up 2 and 3* players when they are getting the best that college football has to offer. UCONN is not going to be pulling in MSU caliber players even if the best coach in the world is here. Until we get out of this mess of a conference we need someone who can coach up talent. The same qualities that got UCONN to the Fiesta Bowl.

In fairness you may want to consider that while Narduzzi's recruiting classes outshine ours, so did the recruiting classes of the undefeated team he just helped dethrone. In fact, MSU ranks consistently outside the top 25, and generally sits anywhere between 3rd and 7th in their own league while OSU has consistently been in the top 5 nationally.

Seems like he's done a pretty good job "coaching up" his players.

Reaction Score
This is the bar the other candidates need to clear:

“I couldn’t want it more than anything in my life besides my family" - TJ Weist.

A record setting offensive performance doesn't hurt either.

I hope TJ gets the job.
I could live with him. The last few games showed me a lot, regardless of the competition level. They could have mailed those games in, and they didn't.

Reaction Score
Last year we had a top 10 defense and no offense. And we went 5-7. I'd love to understand Narduzzi's offensive philosophy before I hand him the keys.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Last year we had a top 10 defense and no offense. And we went 5-7. I'd love to understand Narduzzi's offensive philosophy before I hand him the keys.

So long as it isn't "Run the wildcat on first down and run the 170 lb. RB up the middle on 3rd and 8," I think we're safe against repeating history... ;)

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
So long as it isn't "Run the wildcat on first down and run the 170 lb. RB up the middle on 3rd and 8," I think we're safe against repeating history... ;)

Agreed. But nobody here has any idea what Narduzzi would do for an OC. What if he says he wants to hire a guy to reinstall zone blocking?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed. But nobody here has any idea what Narduzzi would do for an OC. What if he says he wants to hire a guy to reinstall zone blocking?

True, but nobody here knows what Clawson or Weist will do about their defensive strategies either! The idea is that these guys will present their entire package of ideology during the interview process (I hope). Then, it's up to Warde to assess if it is an ideology that has a reasonable expectation of success at UConn...

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
True, but nobody here knows what Clawson or Weist will do about their defensive strategies either! The idea is that these guys will present their entire package of ideology during the interview process (I hope). Then, it's up to Warde to assess if it is an ideology that has a reasonable expectation of success at UConn...

Right. Clawson has built a staff, however. An active head coach has a track record. TJ inherited parts. He might be great or he might break it when he has time to install his own stuff. Kills me that people talk with such certainty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's a question, for you all.

If Warde had not fired Paul Pasqualoni, and the season had gone EXACTLY THE SAME...would you want to bring Coach P back?

P was not fired just because of this year's performance, and based on history P would have never given the reigns to Cochran or really opened up the passing attack, or returned Foley to line coach, or given Max more carries, or fired up the troops at halftime vs Temple.

I'll turn it around on you, if P were more like Weist he would still have the job next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't believe you guys overvalue these 3 wins. Comparing resumes of a guy who ran a top level defense for B1G champion vs. a guy who ran a bottom 20 offense for 3-9 team and picking the offensive guy because he's local and spent 8 games as interim HC, how homer can it get?

It's like signing a September call-up to a long term deal because he hit .350 for a team that's been out of the race since July.

TJ is getting to take his shot, what more is there to fairly ask?

Whatever TJ's case for the job may be, I assure you it isn't the last 3 games.

Don't assure me. Those last 3 games said a lot. Look with your eyes.

Reaction Score
I think that's a strange way to look at it. I'm sure many of us have taken over jobs from incompetent people. You can't fix most things overnight.

As I've said before - most of the BY has stated that the program was irreversibly destroyed. But also apparently fixable in two weeks.

While I don't think the program was irreversibly destroyed, I also don't think that the program has been fixed. It still is very low on talent, outside of WR, and doesn't have a great recruiting class likely to come in given the flux. We just set our record for lowest home attendance. Not blaming Weist for the above in any way, but also not putting on my husky blue glasses.

If Weist coaches here next year, we go 4-8 and you all want him fired. If narduzzi coaches here next year, we go 4-8 and you all want him fired.

The question is how we look in 2016.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
P was not fired just because of this year's performance, and based on history P would have never given the reigns to Cochran or really opened up the passing attack, or returned Foley to line coach, or given Max more carries, or fired up the troops at halftime vs Temple.

I'll turn it around on you, if P were more like Weist he would still have the job next year.

You just went full ret@rd.

You never go full ret@rd.

Reaction Score
Why are folks dismissing the first five games, interim coaches do come in and win right away, just look to USC this year. That was a s#it show with Kiffin, Ed O got wins right away. I'm not suggesting the talent on this teams is like the talent in that team, but to ignore the similarities of the situations would be foolish.

I have no idea if TJ is the right man for the job, I do know that falling in love after three wins isn't the best thing to do. Interview him, see his vision for the program and see what is plan is for achieving his vision and do a comparative to the other candidates.

USC also wasn't 0-3, didn't lose to an FCS team, has much more talent on their roster and it wasn't Orgeron's first year with the program. What Weist was able to accomplish mid-season is great. After losing 5 straight the way they did after the change, hats off to the young men and coaches for not giving up and not quitting. I was proud to be a Uconn fan the past three weeks. I was pumped to see the final of Saturday's game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers is our arch rival?? When is the next time we will be playing them??

They've been our arch rival. It was the last game of the series against them. It was an important moral victory. They are still well within our recruiting territory. If you don't think the victory means a lot then have no clue.

Reaction Score

If Warde had not fired Paul Pasqualoni, and the season had gone EXACTLY THE SAME...would you want to bring Coach P back?

I mean, in the end, maybe you'd say (we know srqhusky and mets would) "He just had to find a good QB, Cochran". Or you'd say "It took awhile, but now PP has UConn firing on all cylinders!"

No - You wouldn't (other than srq). It would be completely, utterly ridiculous.

So why won't you hold Weist to a similar standard? He's completely unproven as a HC, and we're apparently willing to overlook that because he went 3-0 against 3 bottom 20 programs. That's great, if we move to the Sun Belt conference...maybe good enough to make a bowl once in awhile.

As others have said, it goes well beyond record. The attitude changed. The kids seemed re-energized. They seemed like they loved playing football again. Many wanted Coach P gone after two 5-7 seasons. If the season finished as it did with Coach P at the helm he would ABSOLUTELY not be back. And I am pretty sure the fan base would be screaming for his head.

If you consider the teams he beat 3 bottom 20 programs with similar records, where does that put Uconn?

Reaction Score

I mean, in the end, maybe you'd say (we know srqhusky and mets would) "He just had to find a good QB, Cochran". Or you'd say "It took awhile, but now PP has UConn firing on all cylinders!"

So why won't you hold Weist to a similar standard? He's completely unproven as a HC, and we're apparently willing to overlook that because he went 3-0 against 3 bottom 20 programs. That's great, if we move to the Sun Belt conference...maybe good enough to make a bowl once in awhile.
Sean it's not just the wins. It's the improvent in blocking wr play and qb play have all trended upwards.offensive Drives even against Louisville were extended we were beating ourselves Half the time Don't u think tj would have loved to prove himself against better competition. I'll bet he wishes Cincinnati was last game.

Hey most of my posts were to give the guy a chance(3 years) and he did bring in some great kids. He is gone now and I don't miss him. I would be the same for to narduzzi or who ever. If we get narduzzi let's say.... If He changes the system enough it may be a year or two to see results. We have to expect that.

Reaction Score

That is one big IF. I had 0-12 written down. This team made huge strides in the last few games. That would NOT have been possible with PP/GDL.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
gars44 said:
Don't assure me. Those last 3 games said a lot. Look with your eyes.

I did and draw a different conclusion. The last three (2-1/2) games said he can actually coach college FB. If you are Warde are you betting the fate of the program and your job on 10 quarters of FB against Temple, RU, and Memphis?

Of course you aren't, that's what I'm saying. The fanboys can't understand that.

If anyone was on the chat during the Temple game, they know how bad that game was despite our win. We stopped talking about FB completely because no one could bear it any longer. The rest of the game was amazement at how bad Temple was to blow the lead. RU is RU, and Memphis was a 2 win team playing out the string on the road in for them frigid temperatures. It's 3 wins, and not the panacea some are making it out to be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That is one big IF. I had 0-12 written down. This team made huge strides in the last few games. That would NOT have been possible with PP/GDL.

Yes, but that doesn't mean much. Better than PP/GDL is not the measuring stick. You couldn't set the bar any lower than that. He was OC all year, and the offense sucked while he was in charge of it.

I like TJ, he has a bright future. But right now, I don't think he is the best option. I'll trust Warde with this. He's a Michigan man and football player. If Lembo says no, and Narduzzi says no, and every other guy on our short list says no, then I'd welcome TJ back. I'd take TJ over Ambrose for example.

My best scenario would be Narduzzi comes in, is a defensive guy and as such, has some defensive assistants he wants to bring with him, but no OC in mind. He hits it off with TJ, we bump TJ's pay to 500k and he stays as OC. Foley stays with the OL as well.

Reaction Score
USC also wasn't 0-3, didn't lose to an FCS team, has much more talent on their roster and it wasn't Orgeron's first year with the program. What Weist was able to accomplish mid-season is great. After losing 5 straight the way they did after the change, hats off to the young men and coaches for not giving up and not quitting. I was proud to be a Uconn fan the past three weeks. I was pumped to see the final of Saturday's game.

I was actually proud to be a UCONN fan ALL SEASON. Being proud as a fan of the "kids" and understanding what they're up against especially when the circumstances are bad has nothing (OK, maybe very little) with winning and losing.

Reaction Score
Yes, but that doesn't mean much. Better than PP/GDL is not the measuring stick. You couldn't set the bar any lower than that. He was OC all year, and the offense sucked while he was in charge of it.

I like TJ, he has a bright future. But right now, I don't think he is the best option. I'll trust Warde with this. He's a Michigan man and football player. If Lembo says no, and Narduzzi says no, and every other guy on our short list says no, then I'd welcome TJ back. I'd take TJ over Ambrose for example.

My best scenario would be Narduzzi comes in, is a defensive guy and as such, has some defensive assistants he wants to bring with him, but no OC in mind. He hits it off with TJ, we bump TJ's pay to 500k and he stays as OC. Foley stays with the OL as well.

It continues to amaze me how this board sees so many things clearly and logically but history and convention make them seem unreasonable. Having a group of younger options 3 years ago and remembering Coach P's finish at Cuse was ignored. Letting P and GDL go midseason wasn't good protocol but it made sense. Watching the tajectory of the tam spiral in year 2 and looking for an early out unacceptable. And now this crazy idea about Narduzzi and Weist. It could be the biggest disaster since the forward pass!

Reaction Score
One state in TJ's favor for me. Winning three in a row. Did P ever win two in a row? I'm warming up to the idea of him as the Narduzzi drama unfolds. He won't cost two million. Work out a favorable buyout for the school in case shat goes south.

That said, I am comfortable with Warde vetting candidates to see who fits best. It is going to take a little time I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom