“I couldn’t want it more than anything in my life besides my family". | Page 2 | The Boneyard

“I couldn’t want it more than anything in my life besides my family".

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just so I understand, you are saying that any coach worth his salt should have been handed the reigns several games ago and immediately turned the corner into winning the remaining games? No slack given to undo the damage after two plus years? No slack given to change thought processes? Show me any company that changes CEO's and the culture is immediately altered. There are none, IMO. It takes time.

I am amazed that TJ was able to get everyone headed in the 'right' direction, down two coaches, in the short amount of time it took. You don't think UConn would have won a couple of those games they lost had the team played the way they have the last two weeks? It's a bloody miracle, I don't care who they were playing.

I guess I can clarify for you:

A: The comeback at Temple was a nice win - and everyone deserves kudos for it.

B: Beating Rutgers and Memphis is nice and all but those teams are
compete garbage so settle down

C: I like Weist - seems like a solid guy. The University of Connecticut can do better at the position of head football coach than TJ Weist.

Reaction Score
I don't know if Weist will be the next head coach, but I gotta say- if you're downplaying the job that he did, creating organization where there was chaos, unity where there was wandering, perseverance through adversity, then you're stupid.

I think you just called whaler stupid. Thank you for saying it so succinctly.

Reaction Score
and the other 5 games were barn burners? You can consider Weist, I like the emotion he brought, but he is 3-5. I'm happy that he and the kids didn't give up and kudos to them, but it's time for a change. Lets not forget his first 5 games.
Hey, lets not forget he took over a total train and a system that he had to methodically rebuild. He did it with no spring or summer camps on the fly. He took a pathetic offense at the bottom of the FBS and improved it week over week. The team today is light years better than the one in week 5. This guy can coach and win. He earned the right to be a top consideration.

Reaction Score
It's a nice, sentimental line.

Ask For The Job
Just asking for the job is not enough. We have to engage and stay engaged by taking bold action to renew and realize our dreams.
“Asking for the job” is an external manifestation of the passion we have for what we do and what we can do for the company at which we are interviewing.
The guy who impressed my supervisor at the engineering firm asked for the job because he was actively engaged and had been engaged long enough to learn that he really liked and respected the firm. He didn’t come across as phony because he was sincere and passionate.

http://chrisoatley.com/ask-for-the-job/

Reaction Score
Hank Hughes asked for the job last time. Warde said one thing I liked today. He's not playing games, this is what UConn has to offer! I like that approach.

Reaction Score
This is my second choice (after TJ), this could work if Narduzzi and TJ were agreeable to it, but that might be difficult.

If Warde and Burton's money could thread the Narduzzi and Weist needle we will be set to take off.

Would like to see the Narduzzi and Weist needle threaded as mentioned above. Program in right direction, bleeding stopped and chance to put something spectaculiar together.
Incredible job, (agreed it was against 3 softer teams) but other programs and coaches would've mailed it in...kudos to Casey for hanging in while he waited and waited and waited...
big kudos for Geremy for being an inspiration to the younger guys...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's a nice, sentimental line. Should not factor into the decision though. He is not a realistic candidate for any other FBS coaching job, so of course he would feel that way. What's he making now 350k? Imagine going from that to 1.5 million overnight????

What I will say is if we strike out on Lembo, Clawson, and Narduzzi, and were looking at the likes of Jeff Quinn, then well I'd be okay with TJ. If we have a shot at the aforementioned three or the Herman guy, how could we pass up making a splashy hire to re energize the fanbase?

I have to disagree with you.

Echoing what others have said AD's and football people know how difficult of a position he was put into mid-season and they know the difficulty of turning things around.

He has gained a ton of respect within his profession.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you.

Echoing what others have said AD's and football people know how difficult of a position he was put into mid-season and they know the difficulty of turning things around.

He has gained a ton of respect within his profession.

I agree with the bolded statement but what job would he be a candidate to be HC at besides UConn? Maybe he gets one of the MAC jobs, but he wasn't even coordinator at Cincy last year. He showed a lot, I don't think anyone will make him an FBS coach next year based on what he did here, but I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
Hey, lets not forget he took over a total train and a system that he had to methodically rebuild. He did it with no spring or summer camps on the fly. He took a pathetic offense at the bottom of the FBS and improved it week over week. The team today is light years better than the one in week 5. This guy can coach and win. He earned the right to be a top consideration.

Agree Blue dog,
He had to overcome 3 years of a GDL system, fight off the HCPP stigma, coordinate Foley back into mainstream, revitalize a demoralized very young group of players into believing in themselves that they were still the "stars"
they were in high school, fight negative press, be interim HC 2 coaches " down" in the system, also be the O.C, get MAX and young guys on the field......and generate enthusiasm for commits/recruits coming to Storrs next year...and the toughest thing of all...keep all of us interested and
watching when the season tickets go on sale next year!!! Awesome ...deserves to be in the mix and retained at whatever position/cost if not the HC.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If I'm Warde, take what you've seen from TJ off the field as his "resume" and give him the same interview you give everyone else. If you think he is the best coach for UConn in this (impossible to understate) critical moment in UConn Athletics (note I didn't say FB), then give him the job.

If you are using the results of these last three games for anything then you have no business being anywhere close to this decision making process. And don't take the emotional response from the current players after said 3 wins into account either. After losing the first nine, they would support whoever was in charge. Heck, if PP were still coaching some of you here would probably fall back in line.

If the mentioned outside candidates don't show the necessary passion for UConn or are looking for a payday, or want to rely on unrealistic recruiting aspirations, or are clearly favoring other jobs, then don't hire them either.

TJ has some advantages in this process, but I wouldn't hand him a thing other than this. Once I hired someone else, I'd ask the new coach to interview the talk to TJ, Day, and Foley. That's it.

Now, what would you ask TJ or any other candidate?

Reaction Score
If I'm Warde, take what you've seen from TJ off the field as his "resume" and give him the same interview you give everyone else. If you think he is the best coach for UConn in this (impossible to understate) critical moment in UConn Athletics (note I didn't say FB), then give him the job.

If you are using the results of these last three games for anything then you have no business being anywhere close to this decision making process. And don't take the emotional response from the current players after said 3 wins into account either. After losing the first nine, they would support whoever was in charge. Heck, if PP were still coaching some of you here would probably fall back in line.

If the mentioned outside candidates don't show the necessary passion for UConn or are looking for a payday, or want to rely on unrealistic recruiting aspirations, or are clearly favoring other jobs, then don't hire them either.

TJ has some advantages in this process, but I wouldn't hand him a thing other than this. Once I hired someone else, I'd ask the new coach to interview the talk to TJ, Day, and Foley. That's it.

Now, what would you ask TJ or any other candidate?

The only thing I would say is that if you ignore TJ's last 3 games you should also ignore the last 3 games of the rest of the candidates? You always take in all available information. TJ has an edge (or is harmed by - as we don't see everything) because WM has been able to see him work up close and personal. But he never would have been on the map at all other than for the fact he was the interim HC here. So we will see how it turns out. To me, the last 3 games mean that he hasn't disqualified himself from an interview. Because 3 weeks ago he wasn't even going to be considered.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I guess I can clarify for you:

A: The comeback at Temple was a nice win - and everyone deserves kudos for it.

B: Beating Rutgers and Memphis is nice and all but those teams are
compete garbage so settle down

C: I like Weist - seems like a solid guy. The University of Connecticut can do better at the position of head football coach than TJ Weist.

THIS x 1000.

Honestly, if virtually anyone else on this board had posted this, it would gain traction as the most rationale, if not, majority view once the buzz of defeating 3 pathetic college football programs burns off a bit.

But because you play the role of arse-hole so well as you alluded to in another thread, the sentimental and shortsighted amongst us will have some fun mocking it...

Reaction Score
I said in another post it's about image. If it comes to Lembo or Crawford then I take TJ. Our image is the same. If we can get Mullen or Narduzzi then maybe we have to go that way. Man I will say this. When most of gave op thought of giving up HE DID NOT. He never quit and did not let ht kids quit. It will go a long way what the kids in the locker room think and the recruits think.

Reaction Score
THIS x 1000.

Honestly, if virtually anyone else on this board had posted this, it would gain traction as the most rationale, if not, majority view once the buzz of defeating 3 pathetic college football programs burns off a bit.

But because you play the role of arse-hole so well as you alluded to in another thread, the sentimental and shortsighted amongst us will have some fun mocking it...
I feel dirty arguing against Weist in some of my posts. It's not so much that I'm arguing against TJ, as I am arguing for Warde to go through the process thoroughly, and find the right guy.

Reaction Score
Why are folks dismissing the first five games, interim coaches do come in and win right away, just look to USC this year. That was a s#it show with Kiffin, Ed O got wins right away. I'm not suggesting the talent on this teams is like the talent in that team, but to ignore the similarities of the situations would be foolish.

I have no idea if TJ is the right man for the job, I do know that falling in love after three wins isn't the best thing to do. Interview him, see his vision for the program and see what is plan is for achieving his vision and do a comparative to the other candidates.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I feel dirty arguing against Weist in some of my posts. It's not so much that I'm arguing against TJ, as I am arguing for Warde to go through the process thoroughly, and find the right guy.

You've done a good job promoting that view, especially in the other thread. Calling for a professional and thorough search to identify the best person for the job doesn't equate to calling TJ incompetent, as some seem to conclude.

Where you and I diverge is I'm skeptical as to whether the rock star's competent to make the right choice here.

Reaction Score
TJW probably saved UConn football from going into a deep, dark hole which might have taken a few years to recover. TJW, thank you for all that you have done for UConn! (I think we also have to thank Warde for pulling the plug on PP/GDL when he did as he admitted he had made a mistake for bringing them back for year 3.)

Based on his body of work, we can see that he can motivate and unite a team and he was able to develop an offense using inexperienced QBs. And, he seems to be a decent and honorable man. But, there are many roles that a college HC must fill.

Can he recruit? Can he deal with boosters, academics, administrators, media types? Can he energize the fan base? Can he hire and fire assistant coaches? Is he capable of taking UConn to compete on a high level? What is his plan and blueprint for UConn football?

Hopefully, Warde will not let the emotions of the last 3 games cloud his judgement. This is probably the 2nd most important coaching hire after Jim Calhoun that UConn has ever made and we need to get it right.

Reaction Score
I hired many people. If you have the chance take the guy who wants to come. Never take the guy who thinks that he is too good for you or the job is beneath him. That's the problem that I see with Mullen.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Basing a decision like this isn't as simple as looking at a record, whether his first 5, or his last 3! I know what Warde said, that TJ has to win. We all have different definitions of what that means, and I don't know Warde's. I really like TJ, I think he has the stuff to be an excellent head coach, but I wouldn't hand him anything based off the last 3 games. I would look at it as : he inherited about as a situation as possible and made it a lot less . That's not easy, and that deserves credit and consideration despite folks knocking the opponents he won against. But then you need everything else that goes in to his qualificaitons as a coach, and there's a ton more than just 3-5. About all 3-5 tells me is that he didn't go 0-8 and totally exclude himself.

Reaction Score
It's not so much that I'm arguing against TJ, as I am arguing for Warde to go through the process thoroughly, and find the right guy.

I believe that is what Warde is going to do.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I said in another post it's about image. If it comes to Lembo or Crawford then I take TJ. Our image is the same. If we can get Mullen or Narduzzi then maybe we have to go that way. Man I will say this. When most of gave op thought of giving up HE DID NOT. He never quit and did not let ht kids quit. It will go a long way what the kids in the locker room think and the recruits think.

I agree with your premise. Narduzzi and Mullen types would make a statement that UCONN invests in football. For those who think this isn't a big deal, just search UCONN stuff on social media and other message boards from across the country. The majority of people out there think the UCONN job is well beneath Narduzzi and that he could/should get a better job or just stay at Michigan State. It's the same for Lembo, Clawson, and most other names that are floating out there. If UCONN hired Narduzzi or Mullen, it would go a LOOOONG way in immediately turning around the negative perception that surrounds our program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The only thing I would say is that if you ignore TJ's last 3 games you should also ignore the last 3 games of the rest of the candidates? You always take in all available information. TJ has an edge (or is harmed by - as we don't see everything) because WM has been able to see him work up close and personal. But he never would have been on the map at all other than for the fact he was the interim HC here. So we will see how it turns out. To me, the last 3 games mean that he hasn't disqualified himself from an interview. Because 3 weeks ago he wasn't even going to be considered.

I can't shake my head hard enough at this. Let me try to explain again. Any coach we would bother considering, would have won these last three games. They were bottom quartile teams. Two of them were at home. They had a combined 5 -19 conference record. It is such low hanging fruit that it is resting on the ground. So from an on-the-field viewpoint, it is worth zero.

Now, off the field, he was able to motivate this team (after the horrible first half vs. Temple) and get them to play much better the last 4 games (I'll throw SMU in there) He presumably has been well organized, managed a staff that was surely keeping one eye on an exit strategy, and shown an ability to develop game plans and make adjustments. All this gets him into the discussion and an interview, but no more.

So, some questions for TJ, How the heck did we look so bad in the first half against Temple, why were we so uncompetative against UCF, UL and Cincy where other teams (USF, SMU) played them a lot closer? What are your plans to improve the running game, pass coverage, pass rush, LB play, and special teams? Who would you have on your staff next season? What do you expect our record to be next year? What will be your recruiting focus? When you where first named HC, what was your thinking in starting Boyle over Cochrane, you were the OC? What is your plan for the position next year? What is your off season focus, how will we get better?

Dwelling on beating RU, Temple, and Memphis (three of the worst programs of all time) is a recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
Come on guys - get the narrative straight:

PP and GDL ruined the program, to the point where it could NEVER recover. But it took TJ longer than 2 weeks to right the ship, so he isn't good enough.
GDL especially demoralized a lot of the kids. PP was more or less neutral, kind of a cipher. I'm right behind the Uconn bench, and for the last two years it has been very obvious that the body language and facial expression was just plain bad. Shoulder language slumped. No bounce. Just bad. From the moment TJW took over you could see an evolution take place, a weight lifted. It was palpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom