‘The sky’s the limit’: UConn freshman Andre Jackson could return soon | The Boneyard

‘The sky’s the limit’: UConn freshman Andre Jackson could return soon

Reaction Score
From Borges. At least the horde is trying to give us some articles during the layoff without information coming out of Storrs. He looked somewhat tentative in the games he played so I'm hoping the wrist injury doesn't exacerbate that. Hopefully he can make an impact.

“You have an amazingly athletic young man who cares about winning, willing to make the extra pass, actually unselfish to a fault,” said Fruscio, who coached Jackson for four years at Albany Academy. “He understands roles, understands who should be shooting the ball each possession. He’s just a great teammate. He’s also an amazing defender, amazing rebounder. He’s put a lot of time in on his shot, which will continue to grow. But his intangibles are off the charts.”

Alternate free access: ‘The sky’s the limit’: UConn freshman Andre Jackson could return soon

Reaction Score
Looking forward to Coach allowing a little more rope for Andre. Just needs some confidence and doesn't need to be worried about looking over his shoulder. I mean the way the coach describes him, there's not many of these types of kids we're lucky to have him. Can't wait for him to impact the program as expected but we need to be patient, probably more because he's too good of a kid.

Reaction Score
1612368492778.png

I guess there was no time for proofreading, what with all the reporting on the team going on.

Reaction Score
I hear you and something I noticed as well from DH. I’m tempering my expectations tho, it’s hard for a true freshman to come in and make such a big impact from the start of the season. If he can come in and impact the game without scoring with his length, defense; rebounding etc he’ll be fine.

I said this before but I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Sanogo have a bigger impact to start. His style of play should translate well. But who knows, just exciting to have some promising young players again and so much buzz surrounding the program. No doubt it feels different.
Had to go back to the archives for this one. Said this way back in October. Felt like it was going to take some time for Andre to see his game translate to this level. He’s just had bad luck. Knee injury, covid issues, not many OOC games against lower level teams, wrist injury etc.

I’m not sure how big of an Impact he can have, he’s a bit behind the 8 ball. But again, if he can just be disruptive and a change a pace he’ll be fine. Really excited for him, he just needs a few plays to go his way to see his confidence soar. He’s going to be a beast, hope we get to see him on the court to work through some issues. Can’t wait.

Reaction Score
WOW!!!

It is so rare in this day for a elite athlete/jumper to be so concerned with the "little things skills" - like what player should shoot on a given possession, defense, rebounding, working at his craft as a shooter.

So many kids with physical gifts (and there's not many that are on Andre's level) just care about saucing dudes, showing off & getting instagram likes. Team ball isn't a priority, nor is listening to coaches nor caring about the little things that make one great.

Credit to Hurley if he takes the shackles off, it's been so abundantly clear he needs to play through mistakes because we have so many players that can't create their own shot or offense for others. All these articles seem to intimate he's seen he needs him desperately in this offense.

You read an article like this and it gives you goosebumps about how good Andre can be, because of the marrying of his mentality and ability. RARE gifts, physically and mentally!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
When he gets in there, we’re going to give him the same opportunity to develop that we’re giving Adama (Sanogo). We’re going to invest in him.” Sounds like he's getting minutes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When he gets in there, we’re going to give him the same opportunity to develop that we’re giving Adama (Sanogo). We’re going to invest in him.” Sounds like he's getting minutes.

I would imagine that when Polley is having an off night, or Brendan Adams is struggling defensively, that we'll see more of Andre. We haven't really had much behind those players the last few weeks when they haven't been on their A game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would imagine that when Polley is having an off night, or Brendan Adams is struggling defensively, that we'll see more of Andre. We haven't really had much behind those players the last few weeks when they haven't been on their A game.
Crazy though with Polley especially. When he's on he looks all world.

Reaction Score
The things coaches say about this kid makes me think he'll be a good coach one day, if he decides to go that route.

Reaction Score
From Borges. At least the horde is trying to give us some articles during the layoff without information coming out of Storrs. He looked somewhat tentative in the games he played so I'm hoping the wrist injury doesn't exacerbate that. Hopefully he can make an impact.

“You have an amazingly athletic young man who cares about winning, willing to make the extra pass, actually unselfish to a fault,” said Fruscio, who coached Jackson for four years at Albany Academy. “He understands roles, understands who should be shooting the ball each possession. He’s just a great teammate. He’s also an amazing defender, amazing rebounder. He’s put a lot of time in on his shot, which will continue to grow. But his intangibles are off the charts.”

Alternate free access: ‘The sky’s the limit’: UConn freshman Andre Jackson could return soon
Hes problably a super athletic version of TMart which will be great to see when it all comes together for him.

Reaction Score
Borges has been putting in the work. I think he’s the one who asked about Sanogo during the St. John’s game and the tech against Creighton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Overdue. Jackson is exactly what we need at both ends. He’s a guy who makes other people better. Now that we have some guys that can score, a long, athletic point guard (which is his real skill) will be even more impactful. On defense he has instincts like Nadav did to disrupt passing lanes, and even better athleticism. Sure he will overplay and lose his man, he will learn. Kid is going to be an unbelievable defender when he figures it out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The only reason Hurley would give Jackson a longer leash than he did before Jackson's injury is the knowledge that Bouk is done at UConn.

Reaction Score
Had to go back to the archives for this one. Said this way back in October. Felt like it was going to take some time for Andre to see his game translate to this level. He’s just had bad luck. Knee injury, covid issues, not many OOC games against lower level teams, wrist injury etc.

I’m not sure how big of an Impact he can have, he’s a bit behind the 8 ball. But again, if he can just be disruptive and a change a pace he’ll be fine. Really excited for him, he just needs a few plays to go his way to see his confidence soar. He’s going to be a beast, hope we get to see him on the court to work through some issues. Can’t wait.
It’s so strange. Everyone so often you get these glass men who have super high potential that just seem to be constantly injured and never seem to catch a break (no pun intended). Hopefully, he’s done with his string of bad luck.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The only reason Hurley would give Jackson a longer leash than he did before Jackson's injury is the knowledge that Bouk is done at UConn.

Disagree. Here is Dan's track record at UConn. Short leash for Bouk, eventually lets Bouk play and he suddenly transforms the team into a winner. Short leash for Sanogo, finally lets him play through things and admits a week or so ago that he's our best offensive player.

Think about normal Kentucky teams. They stink early in the year as all those talented freshman make mistakes. Then they come together and are sometimes very, very good late. Dan hasn't ever had players like this before. Bouk is the first one. Jackson, when he played, missed assignments on defense and fouled too much. He also did brilliant instinctive, athletic things than nobody else on the team could do.

It's pretty simple to me, Polley gives us very little. Adams is playing way too many minutes. Jackson has the ability to be exactly what we are missing.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Here is Dan's track record at UConn. Short leash for Bouk, eventually lets Bouk play and he suddenly transforms the team into a winner. Short leash for Sanogo, finally lets him play through things and admits a week or so ago that he's our best offensive player.

Think about normal Kentucky teams. They stink early in the year as all those talented freshman make mistakes. Then they come together and are sometimes very, very good late. Dan hasn't ever had players like this before. Bouk is the first one. Jackson, when he played, missed assignments on defense and fouled too much. He also did brilliant instinctive, athletic things than nobody else on the team could do.

It's pretty simple to me, Polley gives us very little. Adams is playing way too many minutes. Jackson has the ability to be exactly what we are missing.

I don't think Kentucky should be the model we look at, but I understand the point. What does Villanova do with talented freshman? Texas Tech? Baylor? Genuine question--I don't follow anyone to know well enough. I want to know about teams that do more with less.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you can say the staff has just one approach to developing young players. Bouknight was basically on punishment for the first part of the season. Year two, they’re still establishing standards. Jackson was penciled in to start before his knee injury and the delayed start of the season and the pre-season pause. Then, the limited amount of games makes each one a premium and there aren’t any developmental ones left. Sanogo is a player who needs to be carefully managed mentally- he is such a perfectionist and gets down on himself, thus the starting with limited minutes (clear opportunities for success) evolving to more minutes. Playing through mistakes isn’t a confidence builder for every personality. It’s very far down the road, but they expect Hawkins to start early. Reasonable people can agree or disagree on the approach, but it‘s not from not knowing what to do with talent, it’s part of their big picture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think you can say the staff has just one approach to developing young players. Bouknight was basically on punishment for the first part of the season. Year two, they’re still establishing standards. Jackson was penciled in to start before his knee injury and the delayed start of the season and the pre-season pause. Then, the limited amount of games makes each one a premium and there aren’t any developmental ones left. Sanogo is a player who needs to be carefully managed mentally- he is such a perfectionist and gets down on himself, thus the starting with limited minutes (clear opportunities for success) evolving to more minutes. Playing through mistakes isn’t a confidence builder for every personality. It’s very far down the road, but they expect Hawkins to start early. Reasonable people can agree or disagree on the approach, but it‘s not from not knowing what to do with talent, it’s part of their big picture.

I agree with everything you've said here to an extent. But coach also totally blew the SJU game by not playing Sanogo. Everyone watching that game knew it. How is a perfectionist supposed to feel when they play exceptionally well and then get benched anyways? And you may say that he's willing to play young players over older one's... but it hasn't actually happened. The excuses are understandable, but sometimes you need to put your playing time where your mouth is, so to speak. I'll believe it when I see it, and be happy.

I'm just saying I don't think we should paint coach as an infallible manager of young talent. He does a lot of things right, and the mistakes he's made a pretty minor in the long run, but they are mistakes nonetheless.

Reaction Score
I wish there were more opportunities for some more cupcake games early in the season. I would love to see how Jackson handles running the point. It's something I really hope to see in the future, maybe next season. In the little we've seen him this season you can tell he has the potential for excellent court vision. He truly studies the game.

Reaction Score
I agree with everything you've said here to an extent. But coach also totally blew the SJU game by not playing Sanogo. Everyone watching that game knew it. How is a perfectionist supposed to feel when they play exceptionally well and then get benched anyways? And you may say that he's willing to play young players over older one's... but it hasn't actually happened. The excuses are understandable, but sometimes you need to put your playing time where your mouth is, so to speak. I'll believe it when I see it, and be happy.

I'm just saying I don't think we should paint coach as an infallible manager of young talent. He does a lot of things right, and the mistakes he's made a pretty minor in the long run, but they are mistakes nonetheless.

That’s the fun of talking about it, though, isn’t it? There is actually no way of knowing those results for sure (post hoc fallacy and all that), but it’s fun to get invested in our own hypotheses and reasoning (where we are always correct)... if only we had some control!

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think Kentucky should be the model we look at, but I understand the point. What does Villanova do with talented freshman? Texas Tech? Baylor? Genuine question--I don't follow anyone to know well enough. I want to know about teams that do more with less.

Justin Moore played a lot last year and was BE All Freshman team for Nova. I think it varies depending on existing depth at the position.

Edit: this shows the MP and stats for all the top ranked freshmen.
Recruiting Services Consensus Index (RSCI) Rankings - 2020 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom