OT: - Youth sports this summer? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Youth sports this summer?

Reaction Score
lol, they've been bashing him for 2 months of course they're not going to stop now. These are the same people who think we should hide from this until there's a vaccine.

He said it himself today. He is taking steps back. Not only can kids spread it, but they can get it.

Reaction Score
A lot of countries. Off the top of my head in Western Europe- France, The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Germany

Uh, France closed schools back in mid-March right around the same time New Jersey did. They are now starting to open-up, but on a very limited and rigid basis.

And again, yes, right now it looks like children are less effected by Covid-19 infections, though the 'new' massive inflammatory condition that has claimed 3 children in New York is a major concern; but what about their adult teachers and staff and the families that they return home to at the end of the day?

Reaction Score
Uh, France closed schools back in mid-March right around the same time New Jersey did. They are now starting to open-up, but on a very limited and rigid basis.

And again, yes, right now it looks like children are less effected by Covid-19 infections, though the 'new' massive inflammatory condition that has claimed 3 children in New York is a major concern; but what about their adult teachers and staff and the families that they return home to at the end of the day?
Yes, France and Germany are opening schools after being shutdown for 8 weeks. Let's see if the US can open them in September after being shutdown for 22 weeks.

Yes, children are less affected by Covid than adults. So much so that the flu is more deadly than Covid for them.

Reaction Score
Yes, France and Germany are opening schools after being shutdown for 8 weeks. Let's see if the US can open them in September after being shutdown for 22 weeks.

Yes, children are less affected by Covid than adults. So much so that the flu is more deadly than Covid for them.

And yet you still won't answer what to do about the health and safety of the school's adult staff or are you proposing we just sent the kids back to school solo a la Lord of the Flies?

Reaction Score
And yet you still won't answer what to do about the health and safety of the school's adult staff or are you proposing we just sent the kids back to school solo a la Lord of the Flies?
There are all sorts of things you can do- masks, staggered start times, distancing in classrooms, everyone has their temp taken, constant cleaning etc.

Again, a lot of kids die every flu season and we take no safety precautions.

Reaction Score
There are all sorts of things you can do- masks, staggered start times, distancing in classrooms, everyone has their temp taken, constant cleaning etc.

Again, a lot of kids die every flu season and we take no safety precautions.
You should see all of the helicopter moms on social media right now, "I'll never send my child to school if the have to wear a mask. I'll home school!". Get a grip.

Reaction Score

Germany has seen their cases pop 10 days after reopening--and now Merkel said "we have to put the brakes on."

Reaction Score
Germany has seen their cases pop 10 days after reopening--and now Merkel said "we have to put the brakes on."
Got a link? That's not what I've read and heard from my German friend

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As an elementary teacher and someone in an administration prep program I can tell you K-12 will have a “hybrid” in-person/virtual model in the fall.

Reaction Score
Got a link? That's not what I've read and heard from my German friend

3 states have gone back to prior measures, not the entire country. But Merkel said they have the break if the increases continue.

Italy too has seen increases since ending lockdown: Dying for a Drink: Uptick in Italian Cases Tied to Celebration Cocktails

Mind you, the USA has never been on a European or Asian style lockdown. What we call "lockdown" they call "wide open."

Which explains why only Sweden exceeds American deaths/cases per capita.

The thing that boggles my mind is that, when we had 15 cases, we were all talking about its raid spread and ways to contain the rapid spread. But now with hundreds of thousands of cases, and with only 10-20% of the population having contracted it (high estimates), we're talking about how the time is right to end lockdown.

Whatever your position on opening things more or keeping them closed, this is not logical. Either we should have never done lockdown or else should not be opening now. There is no consistency. And if the reason was flattening the curve so as not to overwhelm our hospitals, then a reopening isn't going to be much help now either. We still have at best 80% of the population uninfected.

Reaction Score

3 states have gone back to prior measures, not the entire country. But Merkel said they have the break if the increases continue.

Italy too has seen increases since ending lockdown: Dying for a Drink: Uptick in Italian Cases Tied to Celebration Cocktails

Mind you, the USA has never been on a European or Asian style lockdown. What we call "lockdown" they call "wide open."

Which explains why only Sweden exceeds American deaths/cases per capita.

The thing that boggles my mind is that, when we had 15 cases, we were all talking about its raid spread and ways to contain the rapid spread. But now with hundreds of thousands of cases, and with only 10-20% of the population having contracted it (high estimates), we're talking about how the time is right to end lockdown.

Whatever your position on opening things more or keeping them closed, this is not logical. Either we should have never done lockdown or else should not be opening now. There is no consistency. And if the reason was flattening the curve so as not to overwhelm our hospitals, then a reopening isn't going to be much help now either. We still have at best 80% of the population uninfected.
This just isn't true, the US is 11th in Covid deaths per capita, Sweden is behind Belgium, Spain, the UK, Italy, France. The Netherlands and Ireland are just a hair below Sweden.

I agree there has never been a strategy but I wouldn't worry about hospitals overflowing in many places, hospitals in a lot of areas are begging people to come in because they know people are dying from other things at home and they are broke because they aren't even at half capacity. Even in the Chicago area some hospitals are pleading with people to come in.

Reaction Score
This just isn't true, the US is 11th in Covid deaths per capita, Sweden is behind Belgium, Spain, the UK, Italy, France. The Netherlands and Ireland are just a hair below Sweden.

I agree there has never been a strategy but I wouldn't worry about hospitals overflowing in many places, hospitals in a lot of areas are begging people to come in because they know people are dying from other things at home and they are broke because they aren't even at half capacity. Even in the Chicago area some hospitals are pleading with people to come in.

The deaths per capita number has everything to do with when the high point of the crisis broke out.

Italy, Spain, France are on the downside of it and experienced their mass of deaths earlier.

When plotted by high points however, Sweden exceeds only the USA, as this article suggests.

BUT, back to the point instead of moving goalposts, there are countries that opened up and are now reintroducing controls, as you see in this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/

EDIT: Ugh---WaPo froze me out as Ive exceeded # of articles. Anyhow there's an article today about countries closing down for a second time.

Reaction Score
Asian countries are used to wearing masks and can reopen easier. Here being able to not wearing a mask is right included in the 2nd amendment so.....

Back to the original topic, it really looks like my little league will try and start up again next week. We pulled our kid, not worth the risk, and will be interesting how many others let their kids play. You know when your kid will play in the majors some day missing this year of baseball at 8 would never be able to be made up.

School is different than sports. Sports is recreation, school is babysitting that allows our economy to function.

Reaction Score
The deaths per capita number has everything to do with when the high point of the crisis broke out.

Italy, Spain, France are on the downside of it and experienced their mass of deaths earlier.

When plotted by high points however, Sweden exceeds only the USA, as this article suggests.

BUT, back to the point instead of moving goalposts, there are countries that opened up and are now reintroducing controls, as you see in this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/

EDIT: Ugh---WaPo froze me out as Ive exceeded # of articles. Anyhow there's an article today about countries closing down for a second time.
I can only go off of what you said. US is 11th in Covid deaths per capita, Sweden is 8th.

Sorry, I don't read WaPo.

Reaction Score
Asian countries are used to wearing masks and can reopen easier. Here being able to not wearing a mask is right included in the 2nd amendment so.....
OK. I’ll bite. Where in the second amendment does it state that not wearing a mask is a right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My son's senior season of high school baseball went up in smoke. He's more bummed about that than missing school. He's spent so much time on baseball in his life (training all winter, spring seasons, summer seasons, fall seasons, AAU seasons, etc.) that he didn't want his career to end like this. He's not playing in college. He's still holding out hope that he can play Legion this summer because that hasn't been canceled yet, but I don't see that happening.
Sorry to hear it. Your senior season is pretty special. I feel bad for him missing all the other senior year stuff.

Oh well, there's nothing that can be done about it.

Reaction Score

As some countries ease up, others are reimposing lockdowns amid a resurgence of coronavirus infections

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As an elementary teacher and someone in an administration prep program I can tell you K-12 will have a “hybrid” in-person/virtual model in the fall.
I'd guess that that means teachers in school and students at home?

Reaction Score

But we are behind them in terms of timeline. We are probably going to end up with the most per capita deaths of any major country.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My kids are still little so the pain involved from loss of sports is minimal - but our entire spring soccer season was (of course) cancelled, and the league is asking parents to "donate" 100% of the fee. They take 20% off the top and you can choose 50% or 100%. Does anyone else have a league that is not reimbursing? I understand they have some fixed costs but you have a lot of parents out of work, it's a tough line to take.

Reaction Score
My kids are still little so the pain involved from loss of sports is minimal - but our entire spring soccer season was (of course) cancelled, and the league is asking parents to "donate" 100% of the fee. They take 20% off the top and you can choose 50% or 100%. Does anyone else have a league that is not reimbursing? I understand they have some fixed costs but you have a lot of parents out of work, it's a tough line to take.
Our club has two fees. One is paid at the beginning of the year (fall) for the club costs (league fees, fall tournament, lights for our practice fields, practice shirts, etc.). The other is specific to the team and is paid during each season (fall, winter training (voluntary), spring). There is no spring fee unless the coach had already spent money for some reason (new equipment, for example). The club has decided to give a credit for 50% of the club fee for next year. For our 8th graders (my kids), they are giving us a refund since we won't have teams next fall (probably will for the spring). Seems fair to me.

I coached my daughter's team for all but one season. Right now we have them doing some training via Zoom with our trainer. It's really just to get the kids some activity and help the trainers out with some income. We definitely hoped to end on a better note, but so bet it.

Reaction Score
I've been on town boards for soccer and baseball. Your kids are little so I imagine you're talking about in-town soccer. The only fees I can think of for in-town soccer that were fixed were mowing the fields because our deal with the town was that we can use the fields but had to pay for mowing. Maybe the league just wants the money for new equipment, goals, etc.? We used to charge more than the cost per player and put away money every year to pay for those things.

Travel and club soccer is a much different situation.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom