OT: - Youth sports this summer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Youth sports this summer?

Reaction Score
Not to mention they all touch the same basketball multiple times throughout the game. We've always told our son the first thing he should do after every basketball game is to go to the restroom and wash his hands. I've always been kind of a germaphobe.
For post-game trips to Buff's pub I've always gone straight to the bathroom to wash hands and face after adult basketball. Virtually no one else in the group does. For me it is as much about the smell/dirt as it is germs though.

I think kids lacrosse might be the most viable or least germ transferring team sport? Maybe hockey?

Reaction Score
Just saw that American Legion cancelled its entire 2020 summer season in Jersey adn a handful of other States.

While Ameicna Legion Baseball has lost the luster in recent years, its still a solid league, espeically in areas where families can't afford private club baseball.

Overall, it does not bode well for anyone as baseball has the least amount of body-to-body contact of the major sports.

Reaction Score
Swimming seems super done, I'd have to imagine those kids & teams get sick in bunches more than any other sport.

We did get a message about scheduled summer AAU basketball (I have a 6th grader) with a list of about 20 protocols that will be in-place if current schedule of July-August tourneys are played.

But it seems preposterous, one of the protocols is no post-game handshakes!? Sure, sweat & push against each other for 32 minutes, but be careful not to touch fingertips after the game.
In-game physical contact is unavoidable, pre-game and post-game hand shakes are avoidable. Any unnecessary contact should be reduced. Larger benches so the kids aren't shoulder to shoulder, fans spread out instead of bunched up etc. If that's what's needed to have youth sports again, I'm all in.

Reaction Score
The fastest a vaccine has ever been developed is 4 years.

Keep that in mind when you think about how long the youth sports hiatus could be.
Kids are obviously going to be back in school and playing sports again, there's a decent chance there is never a vaccine.

Reaction Score
Just saw that American Legion cancelled its entire 2020 summer season in Jersey adn a handful of other States.

While Ameicna Legion Baseball has lost the luster in recent years, its still a solid league, espeically in areas where families can't afford private club baseball.

Overall, it does not bode well for anyone as baseball has the least amount of body-to-body contact of the major sports.
Got that word earlier today and after my post above. Some of the local teams are already talking about playing anyway, with specific precautions, if the state opens everything else back up.

Let's be honest, if an effective vaccine is developed it's probably a year away. The risks aren't completely going away until that happens. Are we supposed to continue to stop our entire lives for another year? If they play, with some precautions, and my son wants to, I will let him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm mystified by the decision making. Under what conditions are summer camps safer than baseball for kids?

So let me get this straight, kids in summer camps won't come in contact with each other and will wear masks for 4,6,8 hours in 90-95 degree heat? 4 or 5 days in a row during a week?

What am I missing? Did Lamont suck at baseball when he was a kid? As was said earlier, baseball has less contact than football and basketball. If they aren't going to play baseball in the summer, than you can kiss all youth sports good bye until there is a vaccine, right?

Hospitalizations for young people are very, very low. Most deaths occur in nursing homes. The virus does not do well outside. I mean there is data out there than can allow us to move forward I would think if families want to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Got that word earlier today and after my post above. Some of the local teams are already talking about playing anyway, with specific precautions, if the state opens everything else back up.

Let's be honest, if an effective vaccine is developed it's probably a year away. The risks aren't completely going away until that happens. Are we supposed to continue to stop our entire lives for another year? If they play, with some precautions, and my son wants to, I will let him.
I can't do this another year. I don't even watch cable news anymore. I can't take the gloom and doom, no hope in sight that gets ratings. I appreciate the seriousness, but at some point, we need to get on with life. Take precautions for sure, but we can't live in caves forever.

Reaction Score
Hospitalizations for young people are very, very low. Most deaths occur in nursing homes. The virus does not do well outside. I mean there is data out there than can allow us to move forward I would think if families want to.

Outside of this new spike in some crazy mass inflammation striking children with Covid-19, the concern has always been who the kids will bring Covid-19 home to. Half the crowd at summer travel baseball games I have been to are grandparents.

If the season does happen in some form, I honestly feel bad for my boys as their Mom will fill the pool-up with disinfectant and throw them in it after each practice and game. I would laugh if it wasn't for the fact that she has a M. Ed in Health Sciences and teaches health sciences classes, including clinical hygiene.

Reaction Score
Kids are obviously going to be back in school and playing sports again, there's a decent chance there is never a vaccine.

I'm a high school teacher and while there are some colleagues of mine that disagree, a large portion of us do not believe we will be in school buildings until the end of 2020 and potentially not until 2021.

Reaction Score
My kid's last year of Little League....he plays spring and then the district team into the summer and I coach him. It's really heartbreaking....I know people are dealing with much bigger real life issues (sickness, lost jobs, social isolation), but I can't help but be really saddened by it. You can't get this time back...

While I'm a big sports fan in general, missing pro sports is nothing compared to this...I have the rest of my life to watch grown men play for millions...losing the youth sports is tough.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Frightening virus. Camps vs sports. I’m not sure if either are appropriate soon. But how long can we wait? Are elementary school kids going back to classes end of August to start a new academic year?

Reaction Score
Frightening virus. Camps vs sports. I’m not sure if either are appropriate soon. But how long can we wait? Are elementary school kids going back to classes end of August to start a new academic year?

Doubtful.

There is no reason to think we will be anywhere near herd immunity nor a vaccine by then. I don't see how anything will have changed in 100 days from now.

Reaction Score
I'm mystified by the decision making. Under what conditions are summer camps safer than baseball for kids?

So let me get this straight, kids in summer camps won't come in contact with each other and will wear masks for 4,6,8 hours in 90-95 degree heat? 4 or 5 days in a row during a week?

What am I missing? Did Lamont suck at baseball when he was a kid? As was said earlier, baseball has less contact than football and basketball. If they aren't going to play baseball in the summer, than you can kiss all youth sports good bye until there is a vaccine, right?

In Cook County 9 people under the age of 50 have died without comorbidities. One kid under the age of 20 passed away who had serious health problems before Covid. That's for one of the most densely populated counties in the country with over 5.2 million people of every race. We've completely lost perspective and common sense.

Reaction Score
Outside of this new spike in some crazy mass inflammation striking children with Covid-19, the concern has always been who the kids will bring Covid-19 home to. Half the crowd at summer travel baseball games I have been to are grandparents.

If the season does happen in some form, I honestly feel bad for my boys as their Mom will fill the pool-up with disinfectant and throw them in it after each practice and game. I would laugh if it wasn't for the fact that she has a M. Ed in Health Sciences and teaches health sciences classes, including clinical hygiene.
There's no evidence kids under the age of 16 spread the virus to adults.

Reaction Score
I'm a high school teacher and while there are some colleagues of mine that disagree, a large portion of us do not believe we will be in school buildings until the end of 2020 and potentially not until 2021.
Like I said, all common sense has gone out the window in this country.

Reaction Score
There's no evidence kids under the age of 16 spread the virus to adults.

What!? What is known is that people (young & old) can be infected by Covid-1, be asymptomatic, and can spread it to others. I can't find a single report saying children who have Covid-19 can't spread it. Do you have a link to your source?

In NJ, we have close to 150K cases and 10K known deaths to date. In my town with just 12,000 people, there are 220 cases with 10 deaths, including a guy my age with no underlying health conditions who lived 4 houses away and passed on Sunday leaving behind a wife and a 11 year old daughter. That number does not include the 30+ patients and 2 staff members at the LTC facility in town who have died.

My wife and I want to go back to work and our kids want to go back to school; but right now, the risk is simply too great.

You should be relieved that Covid-19 has not hit your area as hard as it has and continues to hit my area.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Youth sports is great... and horrible. I'm now officially done with the "youth" part and on to high school. Spring would've been a culmination of years of soccer and lacrosse. My son played on the same soccer team since second grade, my daughter since 4th grade. Both played with the majority of their teammates for at least the last 4 years. It would have been nice to have a final season this spring. Most of the kids will play together whenever high school sports come back. My son's town lacrosse team was finally going to play for something (they don't keep records until 8th grade) outside of tournaments. A bunch of the boys are going to private school next year, so the team is essentially done.

The parents are emailing about how sad it is. The kids seem disappointed that they are stuck inside and not playing, but they are not lamenting the end of youth sports. They are fine picking up again next year in high school. I believe that the primary sadness is from parents upset about their kids growing up. I really hope they don't rush youth sports back because parents are upset and think the kids are being damaged in some way. I live in the same area as @Mr. Conehead. I have one friend (with health issues) dead and have three friends who lost parents. I have a good friend that runs a local funeral home. The state put a refrigerated truck in his parking lot and he was working day and night despite not having any actual funerals. This isn't the Black Plague, but when it hits, it hits hard. I hope we get back to life soon, but I also hope everyone is thinking outside the box to get back to life in a safe way. I will celebrate the return of youth sports, but only when it's safe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What!? What is known is that people (young & old) can be infected by Covid-1, be asymptomatic, and can spread it to others. I can't find a single report saying children who have Covid-19 can't spread it. Do you have a link to your source?

In NJ, we have close to 150K cases and 10K known deaths to date. In my town with just 12,000 people, there have are 220 cases with 10 deaths, including a guy my age with no underlying health conditions who lived 4 houses away and passed on Sunday leaving behind a wife and a 11 year old daughter. That number does not include the 30+ patients and 2 staff members at the LTC facility in town who have died.

My wife and I want to go back to work and our kids want to go back to school; but right now, the risk is simply too great.

You should be relieved that Covid-19 has not hit your area as hard as it has and continues to hit my area.
You and your neighbor are in your 70's, a lot of people have died in their 70's but it's not germane to what we're talking about. The flu is more deadly for kids than Covid. Plenty of reports show kids aren't a significant spreader to adults, they may not even be spreading it to adults at all. Plenty of countries have their schools open...
Screenshot_20200512-152112_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
You and your neighbor are in your 70's, a lot of people have died in their 70's but it's not germane to what we're talking about. The flu is more deadly for kids than Covid. Plenty of reports show kids aren't a significant spreader to adults, they may not even be spreading it to adults at all. Plenty of countries have their schools open...

Uh, I'm in my mid 40's and my my neighbor was in his late 40's and was a cop, played men's softball and basketball, and was in overall good shape. One of the town first Covid-19 cases was a gentleman in his 40's who is a triathlete and fortunately survived after 3 weeks in the hospital, 2 of which were on a ventilator.

As I said, I want my kids back in school; but school is held in very close quarters and kids of all ages are not the best at hygiene as we all know. If the virus gets into a school, its going to be brutal. And yes, hopefully if a child is inflected by Covid-19, he or she will not become sick. But, what about their teachers and other school employees who are typically between 25 and 65 who hospitalization rates from Covid-19 is 10x that of influenza? Not to mention that when they go home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

In NJ, we have close to 150K cases and 10K known deaths to date. In my town with just 12,000 people, there have are 220 cases with 10 deaths, including a guy my age with no underlying health conditions who lived 4 houses away and passed on Sunday leaving behind a wife and a 11 year old daughter. That number does not include the 30+ patients and 2 staff members at the LTC facility in town who have died.

And when this is all over, we'll be dealing with the bodily aftereffects of the virus for years. When I hear doctors on Covid wings say things like, "So what it does is expand blood vessels, damages endolethial cells, and internal organs..." I want to run and hide. These are classic downstream symptoms of a variety of post-infection illnesses. They change your entire life.

Reaction Score
View attachment 54236

Tegnell is all over the news today saying many of his assumptions were wrong. He was roundly vilified the world over by epidemiologists for saying that.

Reaction Score
Uh, I'm in my mid 40's and my my neighbor was in his late 40's and was a cop, played men's softball and basketball, and was in overall good shape. One of the town first Covid-19 cases was a gentleman in his 40's who is a triathlete and fortunately survived after 3 weeks in the hospital, 2 of which was on a ventilator.

As I said, I want my kids back in school; but school is held in very close quarters and kids of all ages are not the best at hygiene as we all know. If the virus gets into a school, its going to be brutal. And yes, hopefully if a child is inflected by Covid-19, he or she will not become sick. But, what about their teachers and other school employes who are typically between 25 and 65 who hospitalization rates from Covid-19 is 10x that of influenza?
I got you confused with cohenzone. As I said there is no evidence that kids are significant spreaders or that they even spread the virus to adults. Covid is less lethal for kids than the flu is.

Reaction Score
Tegnell is all over the news today saying many of his assumptions were wrong. He was roundly vilified the world over by epidemiologists for saying that.
lol, they've been bashing him for 2 months of course they're not going to stop now. These are the same people who think we should hide from this until there's a vaccine.

Reaction Score
View attachment 54236
What countries have their schools open?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom