Your pick for biggest steal of the draft | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your pick for biggest steal of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think it's correctable. He was OK as a catch and shoot player, but he shot way too many contested jump shots and shot a low percentage on those. Interestingly, that's also something that Young needs to work on: cutting out the contested jumpers.

"Biggest bust of the draft" is an absolutely ridiculous statement because at the very least he will be a defensive stopper. He'll always be a rotational guy. The questions are whether he can develop a jump shot and develop starter-level PG skills. Defensively, he's already better than average.

Plus for a guard, he's built like a brick sh!thouse. He might be able to develop some guard post up game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A lot of the talk about Smart in this thread reminds me of a thread about 8 years ago regarding a point guard drafted by the Celtics, ironically.

Exactly what I was thinking. "Marcus Williams is sooooooo much better than Rondo".

To be fair, I think I said that too. Ainge has a pretty damn good draft record, so let's see how it shakes out.

James Young will probably be a home run. That area of the draft is where Ainge does his best work.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Plus for a guard, he's built like a brick sh!thouse. He might be able to develop some guard post up game.

He was the best post-up PG in college basketball last season, per Draft Express. He already has that skill.

A less athletic Dion Waiters, as someone else said? Pffff. Waiters shoots the ball better. That's it. Smart passes, rebounds, drives, finishes and defends better. If Smart doesn't learn how to shoot, he's never going to be a star. But he's an NBA player, right now, based on his defense and physicality.

Reaction Score
I think Kyle Anderson was the steal. Spurs will do great with him. I guess you can throw in PJ Hairston and Russ Smith.

Reaction Score
Kyle Andersen, gets drafted by who else the Spurs. Great replacement for Boris Diaw.
That's my pick too. There will be some growing pains but I could definitely see him developing a similar game to Diaw with better athletic ability. Perfect place for a player like him to develop.

Reaction Score
Sixers snagging KJ McDaniels in the 2nd round.from Clemson

Also, like Early to the Knicks(but I'm a Knicks fan)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Simmons was easiest the biggest steal of the draft. He got paid. Now, it that is not stealing....

Reaction Score
Im going with:

The New York Knicks getting Cleanthony Early Wichita State. I think this kid could be a really really good player for a long time. I see him as a poor mans D.Wade and thats pretty darn good. With Hardaway jr. looking like a very good young player and now Early having an opening now that Melo is gone for a lot of minutes it could be the perfect situation for him to develop.
Develop? At twenty three he is expected to contribute.

Reaction Score
I think it's correctable. He was OK as a catch and shoot player, but he shot way too many contested jump shots and shot a low percentage on those. Interestingly, that's also something that Young needs to work on: cutting out the contested jumpers.

"Biggest bust of the draft" is an absolutely ridiculous statement because at the very least he will be a defensive stopper. He'll always be a rotational guy. The questions are whether he can develop a jump shot and develop starter-level PG skills. Defensively, he's already better than average.
#6 overall pick for a defensive stopper is not a huge bust? Let's just wait and see after a couple years.

Reaction Score
My Knicks did a good job w their 2 picks. Charlotte's picks of PJ Hairston could be a sleeper if he ever matures off the court.
NYC is not the destination to try and mature off the court. Phils got his work cut out for him there.
Whoever signs Patric Young
duck the NBA, that guy should be playing the lead in the next Terminator flick.
The Celts will be trading Rondo and Smart was the best PG available but I like Early too.
Best PG available? WTF! How are the 'Yarders letting you get away with that?

Reaction Score
YoungPatric_111012_1417_TCasey.jpg
th

Word is Wilson and Spalding are reaching out to little guys Voit, Baden and Molten in order to determine when and where the history of abuse began. Should similar assaults be found to have occurred, the group plans to unionize and seek class action status for their lawsuit. Story developing...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
#6 overall pick for a defensive stopper is not a huge bust? Let's just wait and see after a couple years.

You didn't say huge bust. You said biggest bust in the draft. But, since you changed the subject, no, considering the number of top-10 picks who couldn't stick in the NBA, I don't think that would make him a "huge" bust anyway (see, e.g., Thabeet, Hasheem). And that's his FLOOR.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You didn't say huge bust. You said biggest bust in the draft. But, since you changed the subject, no, considering the number of top-10 picks who couldn't stick in the NBA, I don't think that would make him a "huge" bust anyway (see, e.g., Thabeet, Hasheem). And that's his FLOOR.

That's the important bit. He's actually a pretty safe pick from that perspective. At worst, he's a Tony Allen type.

Reaction Score
That's the important bit. He's actually a pretty safe pick from that perspective. At worst, he's a Tony Allen type.

Tony Allen is a damn good player. Kevin Durant probably gets nightmares thinking about him. I like Smart, but I don't think that's his floor.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Tony Allen is a damn good player. Kevin Durant probably gets nightmares thinking about him. I like Smart, but I don't think that's his floor.

That's why I said 'type', but you are right. The point I was trying to make is that he'll be able to physically D up anybody, and take it to the hole whenever he needs to. The kid is an NBA ready body right now.

Reaction Score

This. It seems like every prospect who plays good defense is immediately compared to the best defensive player in the league at that position. It takes more than just athleticism to be as good a defender as Tony Allen, it takes years of repetitions, hours of film study, and almost a certain level of insanity where you think you're better than you are. I'm not saying Smart can't get there, but yeah, it's definitely not his floor.

I think Smart will be good, but I thought Boston reached for him at #6. Point guards who can't shoot are a damn near extinct bread in the NBA, and unless you're a freak athlete like Westbrook, Rose, or Wall (Smart is not), you're going to struggle. Of course, he can improve, and probably will, but it concerns me that he displayed no improvement from freshman to sophomore year. His misses are bad misses - I mean he'll take unguarded shots in his natural shooting motion and miss the rim by three feet. Just too big of a risk to take that type of player in the top ten, IMO, especially with guys like Randle, Vonleh, and Stauskas still on the board. I do like the Young pick at #17, though.

As far as biggest steals in the draft, I was shocked to see Gary Harris fall as far as he did. I guess his measurements at the combine really hurt him, I thought he and Stauskas were a coin flip.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Tony Allen has averaged 21 MPG for his career, 23 this past season. He's a fine defender but let's not put him on too high a pedestal.

Reaction Score
Tony Allen has averaged 21 MPG for his career, 23 this past season. He's a fine defender but let's not put him on too high a pedestal.

Solid role player. That's it.

Reaction Score

IMO Allen is one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I get your point, though. All I'm saying is that there are a lot worse scenarios for an NBA player than to be Tony Allen.

Reaction Score

He's a two time first team All-NBA defensive team guy. I don't know how much you've watched him since he left the Celtics, but he's a very valuable player with the Grizzlies.

Reaction Score
He was the best post-up PG in college basketball last season, per Draft Express. He already has that skill.

A less athletic Dion Waiters, as someone else said? Pffff. Waiters shoots the ball better. That's it. Smart passes, rebounds, drives, finishes and defends better. If Smart doesn't learn how to shoot, he's never going to be a star. But he's an NBA player, right now, based on his defense and physicality.
Smart would have been the #1 pick if he came out after his freshmen year. We all got a chance to pick him apart--and he got a chance to make a fool of himself--so suddenly he sucks. If the C's aren't keeping Rondo, then let's take Smart and move on. I think he's really good at 6.

I also really like Young. Watching him in the title game, he was the only Kentucky player I was impressed with. Kid could play. Randle may end up a better pro (but I guess I'm not entirely sold on that), but at 17, I think that was another steal.

I agree on Anderson and Early as steals in this draft. Hood and Napier also went lower than they probably should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom