Your First UConn Game In Person | The Boneyard

Your First UConn Game In Person

Reaction Score
Seeing Patrick Ewing on the court the other night made me think about all the games I've seen over the years and how great the old Big East was. It also made me think back to my first UConn game in person.

It was a January 14, 1984 Saturday game against Seton Hall and Coach PJ Carlisemo. UConn, coached by Dom Perno, won 76-68 in the old Field House. That UConn team included Earl Kelley, Tim Coles and Karl Hobbs. UConn went 5-11 in the Big East that season and 13-15 overall. Notable Big East opponents that season included Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Pearl Washington.

I can't believe I didn't go to any home games my first semester. It was literally $1 and your student ID to get in. Anyway, do you remember your first UConn game?

Reaction Score
95. My sister and Ray Allen's sister were close friends. Then I went to many many games after when she started dating one of the players for more then 2 years.

But my most memorable was the George Mason upset. I was sitting in the 2nd row from the floor talking trash only to put my tail between my legs at the end. #bestseatsever

Reaction Score
January or February of 1981. Corny Thompson era. I was a senior at Trinity, by chance had just been accepted into UConn law and went to the Civic Center on a Saturday afternoon to see them beat St. Johns on the ECAC Game of the Week, well before every game was on cable, on a Corny Thompson elbow jumper at the buzzer. The win was either our first after moving into the Top 25 or moved us into the Top 25. But then the season turned into disappointment.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have no idea the exact date nor do I remember the opponent. But it was a looong time ago. I was a kid, in 1957. The star was Jack Rose who later got into big trouble along with other teammates and players in a bunch of other programs in a betting scandal. Didn’t know at the time I’d wind up at UConn and a classmate of Wes B. But that game made me a lifelong UConn fan.

Reaction Score
2-26-94 HCC vs Pitt. My older sister by nine years got into UConn early acceptance and her boyfriend at the time was a big sports fan. He'd take me to tons of Yankees game and that day we drove up to Hartford to catch the game.

All I remember is the halftime show was a bunch of mascots playing basketball. My personal favorite was the Bob's Discount Furniture mattress, whose stubby arms had no business dribbling a basketball or receiving a pass, but he was a monster at setting picks.

Reaction Score
My Dad brought me to the UNH game in 67 for my first UConn game. We sat in the first couple rows right on the floor behind the UNH bench. I remember walking up the hill from North Eagleville Road. I had the program for a long time but wound up getting rid of it as time went by and with many moves things were thrown overboard to make moving easier. Wes was unreal and trying to be Wes in my driveway kept me busy every afternoon after school.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Notable Big East opponents that season included Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin and Pearl Washington.
So obviously this was the same the following season when i was a freshman, but your mention of Pearl reminds me of the game that hooked me: February 20, 1985 71-69 over Syracuse at the Civic Center. The place was going nuts; people were chanting “Earl Kelly is the real pearl” and it was the most exciting sporting event I had ever attended. I actually called my father from a pay phone in the hallway so he could hear the mayhem.

I can't believe I didn't go to any home games my first semester. It was literally $1 and your student ID to get in.
This is exactly why I went to that UMass game and any others at the Field House. It was a no-brainer.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
UConn v Pitt in early 80s at the Hartford mall(aka HCC) . Pitt had a monster team.
Had seats up in the rafters. It was my 1st encounter with tradition I still hate to this day. Standing waiting for UConn to score…it was no less than 7 minutes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Feb 21,1967 vs New Hampshire. Bialasuknia scored 42. I was 11 and thought the Field House was the coolest place ever.
Aha, I was a senior then and I’ve been looking all these years for the 11 year old who spilled his soda on me and my date. Ok, maybe not but I’m sure I was there, never missed a home game.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
December 4, 1965 at the Field House. UConn bet Yale 95-73 and Bialosuknia looked great.
I was there. Wasn’t Yale led by Bobby Trupin, a pretty good guard?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom