Your First UConn Game In Person | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your First UConn Game In Person

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
LOL- so long ago. Vinny Yogobaskas (sp?) was playing. Hawley Armory, with a track around the upper floor. Don’t remember the opponent, but probably a Yankee Conference game. When Storrs was a legitimate hick place and a wonderful spot to grow up.
Finally someone older than me. Hawley Armiry was already a relic when I started at UConn. These are all fun recollections.

Reaction Score
LOL- so long ago. Vinny Yogobaskas (sp?) was playing. Hawley Armory, with a track around the upper floor. Don’t remember the opponent, but probably a Yankee Conference game. When Storrs was a legitimate hick place and a wonderful spot to grow up.

So to paraphrase Lou Holtz, you remember Storrs before they built the second one.

Reaction Score
I was a kid. It was at the Civic Center and I think it was Syracuse. It was a tight game. It was anti-climatic for the UConn fans. Syracuse stole the ball on a half court entry with a few seconds left and went in for a layup as time expired to win by 1. It was a long drive home to Morris, CT.
Yup! That was February of 1988. I was a freshman at UConn. Cuse was ranked #12 and Jeff King (RIP) threw the ball away and Stevie Thompson scored the game winner. That SUCKED!
My first UConn game was in 1983 at the Curry Hicks Cage at UMass. My dad is a UMass grad and brought me. UConn lost by two points. Karl Hobbs had a shot to tie it at the buzzer.

Reaction Score
HCC in the early 80s vs Ewing, Michael Graham and Co. We got crushed.
Same. 1982. We had beat them earlier in the season in DC, the Civic Center started out rocking, but that G'town team had come together and we had no shot. I was 12 and had been hooked for 5 or 6 years, finally got my parents, who only later became fans in the Calhoun era, to take me to a game. Nosebleeds, but I didn't care.

Reaction Score
1997 NIT game vs Nebraska. I was young but it was RIP’s freshman year and Rashamel Jones was the team’s best player at the time. My dad went to Filene’s to get tickets as they sold Ticketmaster seats. The 90s.

Edit: just looked this up (honestly hadn’t thought about it in years) but Tyronn Lue was Nebraska’s PG and I remember he was lighting it up in Gampel. Good guys won though

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was there. Wasn’t Yale led by Bobby Trupin, a pretty good guard?
Bobby was a very good guard, but he graduated the year before.

And, he was actually drafted by the New York Knicks at number 90, in the 12th round. Their roster for 1965-66, does not show his name.

Interesting life, shown in the 2014 article below. His family was involved in a sport camp at Kutscher's for many years.

Reaction Score
UConn vs Tennessee in 2011 with my dad. 2010-2011 was the first season I ever watched and I fell in love instantly. I didn’t even like watching sports before that. My dad was a UConn super fan since the 80s now I know more than he does. We’ve been watching every game together for the last 10 years

Reaction Score
UConn was on TV back then? No jest. That’s an earnest inquiry.

Channel 8 would broadcast a few games. Dick Galliette would announce I believe. I remember seeing Bill Corley set a UConn single game scoring record and they had the UConn-URI slowdown game.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
1963 in the Fieldhouse against who I don't remember, but it was a win. That was when I became a Toby and Spider Dan Hesford fan. Spider threw himself all over the court causing multiple turnovers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom