Your 2017-2018 UConn Huskies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Your 2017-2018 UConn Huskies

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think he means Okafor, who was listed in the NBA at 6'9 at one point, so maybe he's just exaggerating.

Okafor wasn't much more than 6'9 though, and not long arms either. He was incredible enough to get past that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Emeka was about 6'10 maybe 6'11 in shoes
I was using hyperbole
He did have length and incredible strength
My point was all of sudden our listed 6'10 guys are 6'7 or 6'8 , like this game hasn't been played in BB since Naismith

Okafor was 6'10 in shoes with a 7'4 wingspan and a 9'2.5 standing reach. He had a 34 inch max vert and a guard like 3.15 sprint at the combine.

He was a really good athlete.

Reaction Score
That's a small roster, realistically nobody over 6-8, considering that heights are usually inflated. We need an "aircraft carrier" as Al McGuire used to say. Anybody with a decent 7 footer in their lineup is going to pose problems for us.
If I remember correctly, people say Diarra is longer than he is tall if that makes sense. Hopefully he developes especially on D. I hear what you're saying though...long 6'8'' still aint 7'.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Okafor was 6'10 in shoes with a 7'4 wingspan and a 9'2.5 standing reach. He had a 34 inch max vert and a guard like 3.15 sprint at the combine.

He was a really ing good athlete.

Did he have a long wingspan? I am genuinely asking bc then I am "misremembering."

I thought he had shorter than normal arms, but I know one thing: He had every other physical and mental aspect. Obviously.

If he was a legit 7'0 he may have been a total freak, though I know how back injuries can stunt your abilities.

Reaction Score
Looking at the roster we all know where the strengths and weaknesses are. Points from our front court will be at a premium but by committee can we get 20 ppg from Onuorah, Carlton, Cobb, Whaley, Diarra and Polley? That's what 3-4 ppg each? I'm betting that's possible as an average. Assuming health of course:
Adams had 14 ppg last year is he ready for 18?
Vital for 10?
Gilbert for 10?
Larrier for 14?
Anderson for 4?
If we can get 20 ppg from those 6 and this team can defend, rebound and score in the mid to high 70s can we win enough games given a pretty challenging OOC schedule?
Let's be realistic. Maybe we can get 20 points from the 6 front court players listed vs Coppin St. But against our better opponents like Villanova getting 20 is very unlikely. You are saying 10 points per game from the 4 and 5. When was the last year that happened?

the Q

Reaction Score
Did he have a long wingspan? I am genuinely asking bc then I am "misremembering."

I thought he had shorter than normal arms, but I know one thing: He had every other physical and mental aspect. Obviously.

If he was a legit 7'0 he may have been a total freak, though I know how back injuries can stunt your abilities.

Those were the numbers I got from draft express.

And yes the world never saw him at the peak because of those back issues

Reaction Score
Let's be realistic. Maybe we can get 20 points from the 6 front court players listed vs Coppin St. But against our better opponents like Villanova getting 20 is very unlikely. You are saying 10 points per game from the 4 and 5. When was the last year that happened?
Last year between Brimah, Facey, Durham, and Enoch they averaged 21 PPG, so not too long ago

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So with Williams in the fold, the roster is pretty much set. I think Larrier may play a little at the 4, but we now have a lot of quantity at the 4. Do we have enough quality? Nobody knows. Onuorah missed all but one game last season, and averaged 5 points 7 boards and 1.5 blocks the year before. I'll assume he would have slightly improved those numbers. I think he and Cobb will battle for starting center unless Carlton shows a lot. Carlton could win the job later in the year. I expect Diarra to start at the PF spot, with Williams, Larrier and Cobb all seeing time there. Whaley and Polley are wildcards.

My high level thoughts are that this team is rather deep in players who seem of similar ability across the front court, Larrier excluded. Ollie could finally press and run with this team. All of these guys seem to be able to get up and down the floor. Most of them seem to be able to finish. Several of them have some solid muscle for a change.

As to Chief's assertion that you need some 6'10-7' shot blocking beast in the middle, it hasn't been that way for many years, if ever. I would like to see us play like this team did. I hope to hell that that is what Ollie has in mind with the kids he's bringing in, and the depth of athleticism.

Guards and Wings
Adams
Gilbert
Vital
Anderson
Larrier
Polley

Bigs
Onuorah
Carlton
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley
Williams

Reaction Score
So with Williams in the fold, the roster is pretty much set. I think Larrier may play a little at the 4, but we now have a lot of quantity at the 4. Do we have enough quality? Nobody knows. Onuorah missed all but one game last season, and averaged 5 points 7 boards and 1.5 blocks the year before. I'll assume he would have slightly improved those numbers. I think he and Cobb will battle for starting center unless Carlton shows a lot. Carlton could win the job later in the year. I expect Diarra to start at the PF spot, with Williams, Larrier and Cobb all seeing time there. Whaley and Polley are wildcards.

My high level thoughts are that this team is rather deep in players who seem of similar ability across the front court, Larrier excluded. Ollie could finally press and run with this team. All of these guys seem to be able to get up and down the floor. Most of them seem to be able to finish. Several of them have some solid muscle for a change.

As to Chief's assertion that you need some 6'10-7' shot blocking beast in the middle, it hasn't been that way for many years, if ever. I would like to see us play like this team did. I hope to hell that that is what Ollie has in mind with the kids he's bringing in, and the depth of athleticism.

Guards and Wings
Adams
Gilbert
Vital
Anderson
Larrier
Polley

Bigs
Onuorah
Carlton
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley
Williams

I like it. A bit more uncertainty than I felt at this time last year, but we know certainty can be derailed very quickly (i.e., 3 games in). This team has me very excited to see what the wildcards have in store for us and how everything comes together. Maybe boom, maybe bust, but very exciting at this moment.

Reaction Score
I like it. A bit more uncertainty than I felt at this time last year, but we know certainty can be derailed very quickly (i.e., 3 games in). This team has me very excited to see what the wildcards have in store for us and how everything comes together. Maybe boom, maybe bust, but very exciting at this moment.
Well I'm not as excited as you but it should be entertaining one way or the other and KO has almost used all his scholarships in a year were he has to win to keep his job. Not sure the parts fit but we should find out soon.

Reaction Score

Guards and Wings
Adams
Gilbert
Vital
Anderson
Larrier
Polley

Bigs
Onuorah
Carlton
Cobb
Diarra
Whaley
Williams

I am pretty sure that Thabeet and Okafor were indeed tall, shotblocking beasts, as was Brimah.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am pretty sure that Thabeet and Okafor were indeed tall, shotblocking beasts, as was Brimah.

What the hell does that have to do with the fact that many teams can get to the final four without such players? Those guys are scarce. I hope what we are seeing is Ollie looking for other ways to win, ways that are probably more sustainable in our current situation.

Reaction Score

He was a really ing good athlete.
I heard most people play basketball in shoes! So that's good.

the Q

Reaction Score
I heard most people play basketball in shoes! So that's good.

i just think it's interesting how you see guys increase height in shoes from a range of like half an inch to 2.5 inches. Crazy....maybe everyone should wear the same shoes for the measurements? lol

Reaction Score
No, Onuorah.
Wow he looks a little out of shape compared to playing days. I guess almost a whole year not playing started some bad eating habits or maybe it is just a bad pic as he looks like he has a stomach.

Reaction Score
Wow he looks a little out of shape compared to playing days. I guess almost a whole year not playing started some bad eating habits or maybe it is just a bad pic as he looks like he has a stomach.
A lot of people have been saying we need some beef in our front court. We've got some!

Reaction Score
We've always been pretty demanding of our bigs getting back on D so it will be interesting to see how they run the court. If they (Cobb, Onuorah) can't get up and down with some frequency it may present an opportunity for Carlton. Would love to see 1 or 2 of those guys step up to the challenge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom