You know what sucks most about this conference? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You know what sucks most about this conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We'll just call that the freescooter conundrum. Nice guy picked by the former legendary guy based more on personal rather than professional qualification. Won a surprise title as a dark horse with the other guys players but has largely underperformed on his own. He isn't the first guy to have this happen and won't be the last. We'll have to see if he can turn this around. And hope he does. 2 years in the NIT won't do this program any long term good.

Stop saying stuff like you "hope he does." Your last post on the basketball board was the day after the Maryland game. By no means do you "hope he does." Why anyone even reads your nonsense is beyond me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
We'll just call that the freescooter conundrum. Nice guy picked by the former legendary guy based more on personal rather than professional qualification. Won a surprise title as a dark horse with the other guys players but has largely underperformed on his own. He isn't the first guy to have this happen and won't be the last. We'll have to see if he can turn this around. And hope he does. 2 years in the NIT won't do this program any long term good.
The return of freescooter to start beating his tired drum again is clearly the worst thing about last night's loss.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What sucks the most is that 7 out of 10 games are "no good can come from this" games against horrible teams. Either we win and it's expected, or we lose and it's a catastrophe.

This is what kills me. At best you can hope for a totally ignored result. At worst, catastrophe. There's no benefit, no payoff. It's why majors won't schedule teams like this to home and homes (leaving aside the fact that they just lost at home).

It's not only bad for the schedule and bad for the team, but it's also bad for the fans. I have a hard time getting up for these games. And again, it's almost like it doesn't matter if we win, but it's absolutely miserable if we lose. There's no payoff for a fan either.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Why? That attitude on the part of New York Giants ownership led to 3 straight losing seasons, after which they finally jettisoned their coach.

When they should have cleaned house in the front office first. Can't play with what you don't have.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Apples to oranges comparison at this point. I didn't say that I am giving him a pass, but pointed out why some/most will. After watching what we've watched this season, it's fair to suggest that Bazz won that NC and not KO.

Way more than Bazz won that thing, Boats D and balls, Daniels dominance, all around Giffey and threes, Kromah's 6th man, etc, etc. And Ollie too. Everything came together. Don't pretend it didn't.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
7 BE Tourney Champonships and 10 BE regular season titles.....oh the good ol days. Whats the name of this conference?

What's the last time we won a BE regular season championship? 2006. That's 10 years ago. We've been in a regular season funk long before Ollie. We caught fire at the end of the year twice, once in the Conference Tournament, and once right after.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Temple has always been a very good basketball program. Losing to Temple by a point at home with the AAC Defensive Player of Year on the shelf is not the end of the world.
Compare players. Bond was by far the best center on the floor. Temple had a legit point guard and their big guard is better than Purvis. Why do you think Ollie was out coached when he may have been outgunned, especially with DHam's horrible game?
Point guard is the most important position on the floor and we do not have one.

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of your post, but this point (pun) is not parroted enough. They do not have a ready made legit point guard. Rodney and Sterling are by far best suited to 2 guard. Jalen is a combo guard who will fit into the Bazz mold, but he is not ready to be the lead guy as a freshman.

It feels a little like 2006, where they just need that one extra guy on the ball. If Jalen magically grows up in the second half, and Ollie can get out of his own way and play him, they have a chance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The return of freescooter to start beating his tired drum again is clearly the worst thing about last night's loss.
I could used a spoiler alert, so soon after Big Ern's post had me wondering which Ignored poster was being referenced. This thread reads as though several have been making their presence felt .

I suppose I'm glad I've made no heroic efforts to find a place to watch CBS Sports Channel. Do I dare watch either Tulane or Temple on Huskygames?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
With respect to Big 12 expansion, I believe, because of football, UConn is behind Memphis and Cincinnati. I also fear that if UH gets it's basketball house in order, which it appears they will, they will be a candidate for the Big 12 sooner than you would think.

What do you base this on? Talent of the respective programs? Because that doesn't matter at all. It's TV sets, followed by attendance. Dollars and cents. I've no idea who leads in these metrics. People more familiar with realignment could better enlighten us there.

Reaction Score
What's the last time we won a BE regular season championship? 2006. That's 10 years ago. We've been in a regular season funk long before Ollie. We caught fire at the end of the year twice, once in the Conference Tournament, and once right after.

To be fair, 2008-2009 was a championship caliber season, with a #1 ranking during the year and a #1 seed in the NCAAT.

But yes, that only gives us another 2-3 year grace period :(

Reaction Score
The sad thing is we're loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits. Talent is not the issue. The coaching staff needs to wake up and get this done.
Need to start thinking about looking elsewhere for assistants. Miller and Hobbs need to be upgraded for an offensive coach and a game manager to help Ollie out.

EDIT: and for the love of god, it can be someone who isn't in the UConn family.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
To be fair, 2008-2009 was a championship caliber season, with a #1 ranking during the year and a #1 seed in the NCAAT.

But yes, that only gives us another 2-3 year grace period :(

Good point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Need to start thinking about looking elsewhere for assistants. Miller and Hobbs need to be upgraded for an offensive coach and a game manager to help Ollie out.

EDIT: and for the love of god, it can be someone who isn't in the UConn family.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking back a Tom Moore though. Not that he would, just saying.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
One conference loss and one bad shooting night and the season is over, I know it was awful to watch but seriously. Let's see how they respond Saturday first, geez.

Reaction Score
Chappie is looking for a drinking partner, please go and find him.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:

The program was off the frickin rails when KO took over. We were on probation, lost AD, Lamb, Roscoe, and AO and Tyler Olander was left as our starting center (and RJ Evans was just about all we had off the bench). Bazz was a question mark, and DD was a non-factor by the end of the year. KO spent two years building a team with a couple inconsistent returners and scotch tape and glue up into a championship, even despite losing Omar's contributions along the way.

Saying he won with someone else's team is such a joke, and it deserves absolute zero traction on this board. That title is all KO's.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The program was off the frickin rails when KO took over. We were on probation, lost AD, Lamb, Roscoe, and AO and Tyler Olander was left as our starting center (and RJ Evans was just about all we had off the bench). Bazz was a question mark, and DD was a non-factor by the end of the year. KO spent two years building a team with a couple inconsistent returners and scotch tape and glue up into a championship, even despite losing Omar's contributions along the way.

Saying he won with someone else's team is such a joke, and it deserves absolute zero traction on this board. That title is all KO's.

Eh, free was beating the sh_t out of JC on his way out the door (his last few years). So what do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom