You know what sucks most about this conference? | The Boneyard

You know what sucks most about this conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We haven't won it. Or come that close, either.

And this loss, like the Houston road losses, like so many of the games last year, is why.

We play down to sh¡tty competition, and can't dominate a conference that has literally one team that should be in the same conference as us.

Embarrassing.

Reaction Score
I understand and agree with giving KO a pass for the most part

Why? That attitude on the part of New York Giants ownership led to 3 straight losing seasons, after which they finally jettisoned their coach.

Reaction Score

And this loss, like the Houston road losses, like so many of the games last year, is why.

We play down to sh¡tty competition, and can't dominate a conference that has literally one team that should be in the same conference as us.

Embarrassing.

When I went to the AAC tournament last year in Hartford I went to all the games, I left at night not believing we finished in 6th place because the teams were so unimpressive up close. Even SMU who lost in the 1st round to a team that shouldn't have made it.

It's unconscionable that UConn is having so much difficulty in this league. Coaching malpractice quite frankly. If UConn performs bad tonight, we win the game. We managed to play and coach even worse.

Reaction Score
The body language is slipping too. Kids waiving their hands and barking at each other and looking confused. Not diving for balls. Drifting away from the hoop after a shot is up expecting it to go in (did you see Hamilton before that Bond trailer?). Was Brimah the glue to all that? Is Ollie not motivating them? Are all the different parts turning on each other? No cohesion today.

Reaction Score
Apples to oranges comparison at this point. I didn't say that I am giving him a pass, but pointed out why some/most will. After watching what we've watched this season, it's fair to suggest that Bazz won that NC and not KO.

Reaction Score
..that we can't lose more than 5 games in AAC and get a bid. Luckily we play SMU and Cincy late in schedule....those will be must wins.

Reaction Score
Is this a talent or coaching problem? I understand and agree with giving KO a pass for the most part, but the trend of playing marginal defense and zero offensive game plan is troubling.

It's sort of both I think. You can't look at this team and say that it is super talented, you just can't. Who is the guy that strikes fear into the other team? And everyone is inconsistent on the court. As for coaching, this team makes the same mistakes game after game. The same fouls, the same defensive mistakes, the same slow starts, etc. That's not an accident.

I am starting to think that KO is like a college basketball version of Larry Coker. Well liked, won a title with a team that had some great pieces already in place and then got worse every year after that. I hope I am wrong, but this just has a very bad feel to it.

Reaction Score
.that we can't lose more than 5 games in AAC and get a bid. Luckily we play SMU and Cincy late in schedule....those will be must wins.

If you can't beat Temple a home, who can you beat?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why? That attitude on the part of New York Giants ownership led to 3 straight losing seasons, after which they finally jettisoned their coach.
Because winning championships earns you the benefit of the doubt for a while. Not forever, but for a while. And it should.

Reaction Score
7 BE Tourney Champonships and 10 BE regular season titles.....oh the good ol days. Whats the name of this conference?

Reaction Score
What sucks the most is that 7 out of 10 games are "no good can come from this" games against horrible teams. Either we win and it's expected, or we lose and it's a catastrophe.

It's not like the Big East where if we lose a game, we come back in 4 days with a shot at a big momentum boost against a top-ranked team.

Reaction Score

Embarrassing.

I don't know why you are blaming the conference. Memphis had 34-2 type seasons every year while in C-USA and always made the tournament and had good seeds. Why don't you try beating the crap out of teams instead of complaining about the conference? Are you afraid that you can't? Or are you underestimating the competition? I'll agree with you that it will be considered a sh!tty conference when UCONN goes 30-2 a couple of years in a row. Maybe it is time to 'put up or...'.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's already considered a crappy conference.

And it's not us - it's the rest of the world. If you don't believe me, wait until March when the Selection Committee sends their annual message of hate to the American.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
UConn is not going to consider getting rid of Ollie for atleast 3 years unless it turns catastrophic, which is highly unlikely. We have to let Ollie get these shiny new recruits in here the next couple of years and then judge his performance as a whole. 2016 recruiting is bright, and 2017 could be even brighter. Plus, let's see what happens at the NCAA Convention in a week or so. We will be in the running if the Big 12 decides to expand, which is more than possible. 2014, '15 and '16 are bridge years of sorts for this program.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you are blaming the conference. Memphis had 34-2 type seasons every year while in C-USA and always made the tournament and had good seeds. Why don't you try beating the crap out of teams instead of complaining about the conference? Are you afraid that you can't? Or are you underestimating the competition? I'll agree with you that it will be considered a sh!tty conference when UCONN goes 30-2 a couple of years in a row. Maybe it is time to 'put up or...'.
That was literally my whole point.

This conference is a joke, but it ain't like we can hold our nose at it given our performance.

Reaction Score

Fair enough considering UConn used to be able to do the in the BE when it was a Top 3 conference year in-year out. But I think we are afraid we can't, mainly because at 10-4 we won't. The scary thing is now to get double figure losses for the year while being in this conference and that is unacceptable.

Reaction Score

Embarrassing.

The sad thing is we're loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits. Talent is not the issue. The coaching staff needs to wake up and get this done.

Reaction Score
The sad thing is we're loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits. Talent is not the issue. The coaching staff needs to wake up and get this done.

Not sure we are loaded with 4 and 5 stars. I mean Rodney was a 4/5 as were Daniel and Jalen. Omar was up there also but hasn't projected to be that for the most part. We may have some coming in but the problem is they won't be here soon enough.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Temple has always been a very good basketball program. Losing to Temple by a point at home with the AAC Defensive Player of Year on the shelf is not the end of the world.
Compare players. Bond was by far the best center on the floor. Temple had a legit point guard and their big guard is better than Purvis. Why do you think Ollie was out coached when he may have been outgunned, especially with DHam's horrible game?
Point guard is the most important position on the floor and we do not have one.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm usually a glass half full kind of guy but last night was embarrassing. No rebounding energy, no offensive flow, no guys willing to hit the floor for loose balls. My glass is half empty this morning.

Reaction Score
Georgetown isn't helping. At this point, a win over Georgetown is going to be worth the same as a win over East Carolina.

Reaction Score
It's sort of both I think. You can't look at this team and say that it is super talented, you just can't. Who is the guy that strikes fear into the other team? And everyone is inconsistent on the court. As for coaching, this team makes the same mistakes game after game. The same fouls, the same defensive mistakes, the same slow starts, etc. That's not an accident.

I am starting to think that KO is like a college basketball version of Larry Coker. Well liked, won a title with a team that had some great pieces already in place and then got worse every year after that. I hope I am wrong, but this just has a very bad feel to it.
We'll just call that the freescooter conundrum. Nice guy picked by the former legendary guy based more on personal rather than professional qualification. Won a surprise title as a dark horse with the other guys players but has largely underperformed on his own. He isn't the first guy to have this happen and won't be the last. We'll have to see if he can turn this around. And hope he does. 2 years in the NIT won't do this program any long term good.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to consider getting rid of Ollie for atleast 3 years unless it turns catastrophic, which is highly unlikely. We have to let Ollie get these shiny new recruits in here the next couple of years and then judge his performance as a whole. 2016 recruiting is bright, and 2017 could be even brighter. Plus, let's see what happens at the NCAA Convention in a week or so. We will be in the running if the Big 12 decides to expand, which is more than possible. 2014, '15 and '16 are bridge years of sorts for this program.

With respect to Big 12 expansion, I believe, because of football, UConn is behind Memphis and Cincinnati. I also fear that if UH gets it's basketball house in order, which it appears they will, they will be a candidate for the Big 12 sooner than you would think.

And while I can understand peoples' general frustration with the bottom half of the conference, it seems a team like UConn would not need favors from those teams. You guys believe you are beneath playing the teams in this conference. I get that. SMU fans felt the same way when the SWC disbanded. Our football record over the last 20 years proved, however, we didn't belong with the big boys. What I am about to say is not intended as a slight against UConn or any of you, but the solution to being in a crappy conference is simple, win the damned tournament and don't worry about anything else. I don't care if the conference is a 1 bid or 6 bid league as long as my team is in. The way to guarantee that is to win the tournament.

Unless, of course, you're banned from the post season and the knucklehead who was responsible for said ban bolts during the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom