You have to sit Shabazz.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

You have to sit Shabazz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think you and I are the Shabazz faithful...He'll come back and people will have to eat their words.
What you and mauconn need to realize is that nobody wants to rip shabazz. Id much rather be cheering for him like a little girl than ripping him. The last thing I want is for him to be playing this pathetically. But at the same time you have to face the facts. Hes been downright awful lately. In every facet of the game including energy and effort. That is what nobody can defend; this teams effort.

caw

Reaction Score
People have to eat crow for their follies :cool:. I keep repeating this stuff because the changes still are not being made by the coaching staff, once they are made I wont even post anymore about Daniels, Napier, etc etc.

LOL, I've changed my opinion of you, you are a funny dude. A bit repetitive but funny.

Reaction Score
I just dont understand the logic. Calhoun kept playing him the entire game and now Blaney does too. I obviously dont see the practices, but there is no way Brendan Allen can be this bad. I mean at a minimal if all he does is stand in the corner and not turn it over, thats an upgrade! Throw in a little defense and were talking major upgrade! What is the downside? If Allen goes in and stinks up the joint so what. Thats what your getting from Bazz right now anyways. At least try something new.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
We were down just 27-24 with a minute to go in the half when Shabazz put up an ugly 3-pt attempt with 18 seconds to go on the shot clock. The long rebound led to a fastbreak and a 5 point half-time deficit. Momentum obviously built on that with the start of the 2nd half.

But what the hell is the logic of that shot? You are not shooting yourself out of a slump, you are shooting your team out of the game. Poor basketball IQ.

SJ

Reaction Score
What you and mauconn need to realize is that nobody wants to rip shabazz. Id much rather be cheering for him like a little girl than ripping him. The last thing I want is for him to be playing this pathetically. But at the same time you have to face the facts. Hes been downright awful lately. In every facet of the game including energy and effort. That is what nobody can defend; this teams effort.
I don't believe you. People definitely want to rip or they wouldn't be doing it. It is obvious he hasn't been playing his best lately. I personally think it is confidence and part of that is "fans" being downright cruel. I am just saying I think he will come back. I don't know the answer as to how, I don't know who should start. My opinion doesn't really matter anyway. Also, I was just trying to bond with ma, not be told "what I need to realize." Everything posted here is speculation and opinion for the most part. I don't know what else to say without continuing a stupid dialogue. I just like Shabazz and think he's having a really rough time right now. I don't think it's indicative of his actual talent, nor of his character. It's too bad these kids have to grow up and learn lessons in front of a million people, but I am faithful that those things will happen. That's all! I have faith!

Reaction Score

What you need to realize is you're not really smart, much like magic-man, yet you think you are. If you honestly believe Shabazz is NOT capable then you didn'tr even watch the first dozen games. His 26 against FlaSt were a joke right?? You know waht like it or not they won't be any good at all if he doesn't get healthy and become everything you hope he doesn't!!! You are pitiful fans...............

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we need Bazz, but while he has head firmly stuck ..................

play other people.

Reaction Score
What you need to realize is you're not really smart, much like magic-man, yet you think you are. If you honestly believe Shabazz is NOT capable then you didn'tr even watch the first dozen games. His 26 against FlaSt were a joke right?? You know waht like it or not they won't be any good at all if he doesn't get healthy and become everything you hope he doesn't!!! You are pitiful fans...............
Haha wow what a substantive argument. It's all relative buddy. Dd had some great games in the beginning of the year too. Does that mean he should keep playing? Shabazz has been atrocious the past few games. His play has been a disgrace. Does that mean be should never play again? No. Am I arguing he is awful and will never play well again? No. But it does mean that as long as he continues to play as pathetically as he has been and continues to noy give a and show no leadership whatsoever then be deserves to sit on the bench. And no I'm not glad he sucks. Do I sound like a happy fan?

Reaction Score
Haha wow what a substantive argument. It's all relative buddy. Dd had some great games in the beginning of the year too. Does that mean he should keep playing? Shabazz has been atrocious the past few games. His play has been a disgrace. Does that mean be should never play again? No. Am I arguing he is awful and will never play well again? No. But it does mean that as long as he continues to play as pathetically as he has been and continues to noy give a **** and show no leadership whatsoever then be deserves to sit on the bench. And no I'm not glad he sucks. Do I sound like a happy fan?

No you sound like a and I'm not your "buddy". The fans I hang with are nothing like you thank God. He has been awful for the most part but has he been the ONLY ONE who has been awful? Explain to me if he's not making shots against Cuse how we'll score?

Please break down everyones game and let me know how smart you really are and then lame the blame squarely on Bazz alone. And while you're at it smart guy let me know where the points will come from without Shabazz coming back to make shots, playing theothers you want in the lineup?? Break that down for me and I'll call you "buddy" if you come up with the plan along with magic-a**!~!

Reaction Score
Lamb looks like crap because he is getting the ball with 9 sec on the shot clock and heaving a off balance shot. Look at last year. The majority of his point came from a squared up jump shot or a fake, drive and floater. This year he is relied upon to create off the dribble or take contested off balance shots. Lamb is a shooter not a creator.
True, but lamb doesn't do enough to create his shot. The staff should sit him down and make him watch hours of Rip moveing without the ball.

Reaction Score
We were down just 27-24 with a minute to go in the half when Shabazz put up an ugly 3-pt attempt with 18 seconds to go on the shot clock. The long rebound led to a fastbreak and a 5 point half-time deficit. Momentum obviously built on that with the start of the 2nd half.

I thought the same thing. I thought, "noooooooo." Just a killer. Reminds me of Dyson. The team would be playing well, then Mr. Cancer would take a horrible shot and kill momentum.

Reaction Score
This thread is awesome. What a crazy ******* board. Am i reading this right? They get drubbed by 21 in a game in which the entire team quits on national t.v. and people here are chalking up the loss to a bad shot by Napier? Sopping wet va ginas all over the place moaning for more Boatright and not a word about his role in that debacle.

This shouldn't be surprising, there's one whipping boy every year. But some of this retroactive analysis ("he wasn't highly recruited"?) is just ... for lack of a better word ..... ******* stupid. Too stupid to read.

I wonder if any of the geniuses who are running down Napier's attitude actually have any interaction with the team - of course you don't - because the kid does not have an attitude problem, in the slightest. The truth of the matter is he's struggling with the mental and physical aspect of the game right now - and he's pressing - and when you're a point guard people notice that and you get the blame. That's it. If you're the "star" 2-guard then it's perfectly fine for you to camp out at the Big East logo and launch 26 footers off the backboard. No one cares.

The idea that we're finally after a year and a half seeing the real Shabazz is just so incredibly, laughably imbecilic that I don't know why people even bother to engage with it. This dum bass ******* cycle repeats with somebody every year and yet people never learn. The kid will play through it, and I sincerely hope that some of you shut the **** up when he does.

H

huskymagic

No you sound like a and I'm not your "buddy". The fans I hang with are nothing like you thank God. He has been awful for the most part but has he been the ONLY ONE who has been awful? Explain to me if he's not making shots against Cuse how we'll score?

Please break down everyones game and let me know how smart you really are and then lame the blame squarely on Bazz alone. And while you're at it smart guy let me know where the points will come from without Shabazz coming back to make shots, playing theothers you want in the lineup?? Break that down for me and I'll call you "buddy" if you come up with the plan along with magic-a**!~!

I have already proposed the changes that need to be made many times over. Huskyfan32 is giving his strong opinions on the matter because he is very concerned as are many fans about the situation and particularly Napier's play. I agree that he can be a useful bench player for about 15 minutes a game for us and he will be better off because of it. The better question is why you are so rabidly defending a player that you had such inflated and unreasonable expectations for?

Similar to how many people blame Napier as the sole problem of this team you yourself probably blamed Dyson for the 2010 team. The bigger problem is not Napier but the coaching staff who continue to play him an start him for 30 minutes + a game.

Reaction Score
We are fast but not smart with teh ball. Boat and Bazz try to make the great play taht will end up in a dunk. Lamb can run but if he doesn't get the ball in his sweet zone early, he has a tough time creating the space necessary to be effective. Another poster said he gets the ball late in the posession and that is very true. Bazz dribbles too much and Boat is still getting comfortable. Bazz is a combo guard , but leans more toward a 2. His spot is on the right wing top of the key extended. JL also needs a little air under his shot. It's way too flat. Folks we had a remarkable run last year, but this group needs time to meld. Hopefully we keep everyone for next year.

Reaction Score
Bazz is a major talent and he and Boat haven't played together quite enough yet. It's coming.

Reaction Score

I could care less who you hang out with. I have no idea why you are even bringing that up. And I never brought up us being able to score against Cuse either so stop creating new arguments. My points: Shabazz has been awful lately and his effort and attitude have been worse. He deserves to be benched until both improve. The rest of the team has been awful as well, but I am speaking solely about Shabazz. Now move on. Jesus

H

huskymagic

I could care less who you hang out with. I have no idea why you are even bringing that up. And I never brought up us being able to score against Cuse either so stop creating new arguments. My points: Shabazz has been awful lately and his effort and attitude have been worse. He deserves to be benched until both improve. The rest of the team has been awful as well, but I am speaking solely about Shabazz. Now move on. Jesus

He can't move on because he thinks Shabazz is a major talent and therefore has inflated expectations of him. Couple that with my diatribes and everyone else piling on about Napier's inability to play point and its becoming unbearable for him.

Reaction Score
He can't move on because he thinks Shabazz is a major talent and therefore has inflated expectations of him. Couple that with my diatribes and everyone else piling on about Napier's inability to play point and its becoming unbearable for him.

Neither of you have been on the Boneyard long enough to talk about "unbearable"...your stupidity maybe yes, the fact you think you actually know anything - yes, but there's plenty of those to go around but most aren't stupid enough to limit their opinion of the slump to one guy....only idiots would not see the big picture!!!

Let me spell it out and I will try to go slow for you and 32:

Lamb is not playing well at all, on either end. He looks for the big play on the defensive end always losing his man and leaving someone else in need to help. Hence the domino principle of noone guarding their own. He has thrown more mason bricks in the last handful of games than all of last year. His handle is something only he has fallen in love with, maybe besides the defenders who are picking him quite often in the doubleteam. He needs to work more off the pick and continue to run in a Rip manner to shoot off the pass and also possibly go to the floater which was his signature last year......

Bazz has been awful for the most part. Not easy to be good for he, Boat or JL if the bigs continue to be worthless in the post but nonetheless he is not delviering passes and worst of all is in a shooting slump. Much to you and 32's chagrin he proved to be worthy of playing a very good solid point for a dozen games but like many soph's he is in a bad way confidence wise. (anyone remember Rips slump? It was awful and he came out of it but no matter even the best have'em)He also, like Lamb, tends to look for the steal rather than keeping his man iin front of him. That needs to change and he neds to make shots........

Boat..........has looked very good but is simply not a point guard. He can play it at times but his game is penetrate and take chances......he also looks to make the big play like all the guys above and we need someone with consistency and a very goo TO ratio.....nevermind the alley oop all the time just make a pass...pretty is wonderful and great but TO's kill and right now all of the guards are too pretty.............he can get to the hole and I love that. But much like Kemba as a soph needs to stop and get a mid range game to be a competely effective finisher. Otherwise he will go in the trees to oten and come out empty more than the oohs and Ahhs plays....nonetheless a terrific athlete who is fearless and also can make other PGs crazy from a defensive standpoint. But again, needs to keep his guy in front of him a bit more, although I think he's been very good.

Interior as a whole...............I can break this down as a group because noone, despite your efforts to make people think otherwise, has been any good at all. Andre is going backwards, his potential is huge, his intellect and ability to play up to speed and size has been dreadfull ahgainst good opposition. No post up game, too nice and too much in love with his passing game which isn't as good as he thinks. Needs to think FINISH at all times. Alex played one good game agains a tiny SH team minus Pope and went back to his inconsistencies against Ville. No hands hurts badly on the post rebounds, loose balls and everything. Never boxes out and elevates poorly. Other than that you're so right, he should play at least 35 minutes (????)......Tyler, still trying to block shots and he can't which leaves him out of position and he won't get help from Alex or Andre because they don't know how....as a team the worst "hedge and get back" defense ever.......Roscoe, just no offensive game to speak of, Stanly was twice as good to put it in perspective. Good, hard worker can get rebounds and guard people but he's not close on that end either to last year and has not proven he deserves any more time than any of them..................basically they are still. and should still be, in search mode for the guys on the interior who want to show some toughness, consistency and give our guys an avenue to open things up for them. Right now NONE have done that.............

Have at it smart guys...........you seem to have it all figured out and that's fn funny !!!!;)

H

huskymagic

Neither of you have been on the Boneyard long enough to talk about "unbearable"...your stupidity maybe yes, the fact you think you actually know anything - yes, but there's plenty of those to go around but most aren't stupid enough to limit their opinion of the slump to one guy....only idiots would not see the big picture!!!

Lamb is not playing well at all, on either end. He looks for the big play on the defensive end always losing his man and leaving someone else in need to help. Hence the domino principle of noone guarding their own. He has thrown more mason bricks in the last handful of games than all of last year. His handle is something only he has fallen in love with, maybe besides the defenders who are picking him quite often in the doubleteam. He needs to work more off the pick and continue to run in a Rip manner to shoot off the pass and also possibly go to the floater which was his signature last year......

Bazz has been awful for the most part. Not easy to be good for he, Boat or JL if the bigs continue to be worthless in the post but nonetheless he is not delviering passes and worst of all is in a shooting slump. Much to you and 32's chagrin he proved to be worthy of playing a very good solid point for a dozen games but like many soph's he is in a bad way confidence wise. (anyone remember Rips slump? It was awful and he came out of it but no matter even the best have'em)He also, like Lamb, tends to look for the steal rather than keeping his man iin front of him. That needs to change and he neds to make shots........

Boat..........has looked very good but is simply not a point guard. He can play it at times but his game is penetrate and take chances......he also looks to make the big play like all the guys above and we need someone with consistency and a very goo TO ratio.....nevermind the alley oop all the time just make a pass...pretty is wonderful and great but TO's kill and right now all of the guards are too pretty.............he can get to the hole and I love that. But much like Kemba as a soph needs to stop and get a mid range game to be a competely effective finisher. Otherwise he will go in the trees to oten and come out empty more than the oohs and Ahhs plays....nonetheless a terrific athlete who is fearless and also can make other PGs crazy from a defensive standpoint. But again, needs to keep his guy in front of him a bit more, although I think he's been very good.

Interior as a whole...............I can break this down as a group because noone, despite your efforts to make people think otherwise, has been any good at all. Andre is going backwards, his potential is huge, his intellect and ability to play up to speed and size has been dreadfull ahgainst good opposition. No post up game, too nice and too much in love with his passing game which isn't as good as he thinks. Needs to think FINISH at all times. Alex played one good game agains a tiny SH team minus Pope and went back to his inconsistencies against Ville. No hands hurts badly on the post rebounds, loose balls and everything. Never boxes out and elevates poorly. Other than that you're so right, he should play at least 35 minutes (????)......Tyler, still trying to block shots and he can't which leaves him out of position and he won't get help from Alex or Andre because they don't know how....as a team the worst "hedge and get back" defense ever.......Roscoe, just no offensive game to speak of, Stanly was twice as good to put it in perspective. Good, hard worker can get rebounds and guard people but he's not close on that end either to last year and has not proven he deserves any more time than any of them..................basically they are still. and should still be, in search mode for the guys on the interior who want to show some toughness, consistency and give our guys an avenue to open things up for them. Right now NONE have done that.............

Have at it smart guys...........you seem to have it all figured out and that's fn funny !!!!;)

long post but some good things in there. I actually agree with you about Lamb that he is not playing well and is not playing good defense like Shabazz. Lamb needs to work on his conditioning because he is like inspector gadget out there his arms moving one directions and his legs another. He needs to be more fluid in his movements and the way he runs similar to Rip or Ray, but he has shown he can score and has performed for us at the biggest stage and is our best overall shooting guard. Lamb is very talented but he needs to be hungrier and meaner and play with some resolve and he will be a lottery pick in the NBA draft. Unless Rip or Ray Allen are still on this team he is our best option.

Also, if you have been reading my posts carefully, I didnt blame Shabazz for the loss to Louisville because I never expected much from him in the first place, but also because if our star players like lamb and drummond dont play well how can we expect napier to pick up the slack. Also UCONN never plays well away at Louisville, they just seem to match up well with us. Napiers inability to play the point means he should be in a reserve role playing about 15 minutes a game because we have Boatright who can do everything on the basketball court.

Also Stanley Robinson was a beast and he is better than all of our small forwards put together. Just because I root for Scoe doesn't mean I am not objective. You however are still making excuses for players you hold so dear. I doubt you were making excuses for Dyson

Reaction Score

Why do insist on wasting your time? My initial argument was that Shabazz has been playing awful and needs to sit until his attitude and effort improve. Its that simple. And now after bringing in various other arguments you now argue that length of time as a member here enables you to be disgusted by our teams play? WTF does that have to do with it? Stop talking about every other player and challenging me to an argument about them. If you want to actually make an argument about my initial claim about Shabazz that you decided to fight me about, then please do so. But stop going on and on and making completely irrelevant statements. For the record I agree completely with your analysis of our frontcourt and mostly the rest of the team as well.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
mau, maybe you should quit wasting your time as he (like magic) completely misses your point.

Reaction Score
Blaming Napier for this team's failings is like blaming the band leader for the sinking of the Titanic. I hate to say it, but this simply isn't a very good basketball team. I think a lot of us had higher expectations based on last year, when truth be told, the NCAA field was overall pretty weak and lacked any really dominant teams. Any way you looked at it, the winner would have been a solid, but not particularly great team. Lest people mis-represent what I say, it was a terrific run, but compared with other National Championship teams at UCONN, that team wasn't close to being anywhere near as good. And Butler was nowhere near 1999 Duke, or 2004 Duke either. We had a player who was great, possibly the best player in the country and certainly the best college point guard in the country and he made every one else better. Lamb, it turns out, can't hit his shots when he has to make things happen on his own. I happen to agree that Roscoe Smith has been hurt by the influx of other front line players and that has both hindered his development and hurt the over all play. Drummond simply isn't ready to play full time at this level. His offense is undisciplined, he doesn't set picks. He doens't get position to rebound and gives up to easily and gets moved away by smaller players. He is certainly better than some centers we've ahd at this stage, but he isn't good. Oriaki is struggling at the 4 partly, I think because he has been in a funk over losing his slot to Drummond and partly because he is not comfortable playing that position.

One huge factor last year, was that we had pretty solid 3 point shooting. Louisville was the low water mark for 3 point shooting maybe not in number, I didn't go back to check, but in terms of level of execution. Both Napier and Lamb failed to hit the rim with 3s on occassion. I don't knlow that I ever saw guys completely misfire so badly. Both were short, Shabazz by what looked on tv like 2 feet.

caw

Reaction Score
Why do insist on wasting your time? My initial argument was that Shabazz has been playing awful and needs to sit until his attitude and effort improve. Its that simple. And now after bringing in various other arguments you now argue that length of time as a member here enables you to be disgusted by our teams play? WTF does that have to do with it? Stop talking about every other player and challenging me to an argument about them. If you want to actually make an argument about my initial claim about Shabazz that you decided to fight me about, then please do so. But stop going on and on and making completely irrelevant statements. For the record I agree completely with your analysis of our frontcourt and mostly the rest of the team as well.

The problem with even contemplating sitting Napier is that there isn't anyone to replace him with who will bring about improved results (likely at least). Now if you don't want to start him that is a different story.

You can't "sit" Napier unless you want Allen playing significant minutes or having Lamb at the point and Daniels/Giffey at the 2. I don't believe Boatright is ready (or would be effective) starting and playing 40 and Lamb going 40 won't help his play. UConn just doesn't have any other guards to play if you sit Napier.

I'm OK with not starting him, but sitting him is foolish with the team UConn has. I've been a believer that UConn should bring one of its three guards off the bench all season. Unfortunately, Boatright was missing for a third of it and JC and Blaney insist on playing a three guard lineup for extended minutes bc the 3's are not producing on offense. I thought Napier was the starter with Boatright off the bench, but it is becoming more apparent either Huskymagic is correct or Napier is just worn out/beat up already from playing extended minutes early in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom