You have to sit Shabazz.. | The Boneyard

You have to sit Shabazz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He just does not take good shots and it seems that his bad shots always come at a important time in the game. We have the ball with less than a minute left down 3 in the first half. Shabazz comes down court and heaves a 3pt with 29 seconds on the shot clock. Louisville then comes down court and scores to put them up by five. That is when the debacle started. They should have been down one at the half instead of five. Just a bonehead shot.

Reaction Score
So many things one could point out here, but the half court lob to TO was the icing on the cake for me. Simply inexplicable.

F

fortebleedsblue

Last year I saw Napier and I was a big fan. I thought he was going to be something special at UConn. I don't understand how a player can regress so much. He is toxic to this team. Last year he would drive it to the hoop and kick it out, drive in aggressively for lay-ups (at the very least draw fouls and get big men in foul trouble) ... plus he read the court very well. His defense was very aggressive and high energy. This year he primarily passes around the parameter, he looks extremely slow, puts in a half (I'm so great I dont even need to try) effort on defense and lobs heavily contested threes. I hope Boatwright doesn't feed into Napier' s negative energy because he has a chance to be something special as well. Napier is a lost cause IMO.

Reaction Score
Let Boat do his thing! Boat, Lamb, AO, Roscoe and Giffey should be the running five.

F

fortebleedsblue

Let Boat do his thing! Boat, Lamb, AO, Roscoe and Giffey should be the running five.

I disagree with Lamb....he has offered little to this team ...he is becoming toxic to this team as well. Instead of getting up and playing hard when he gets man handled in the paint he throws his hands up at the ref mean while other teams counter with fast breaks. I can't remember the last time I saw lamb husle back on defense. Take out Shabazz and Lamb and half our team's problems have been solved.

Reaction Score
Napier is a much bigger problem than lamb. hell Lamb isn't a problem, that was an entire team meltdown. IDK what you expect from Lamb but he aint george gervin.

Reaction Score
Napier never plays defense for a whole possession. This just makes everyone else look bad as they try to react to his man breaking free. The lob to Olander was such a poor play I was stunned. How can you shoot so many air balls? He has a real lack of focus in all areas.

Reaction Score
Lamb looks like crap because he is getting the ball with 9 sec on the shot clock and heaving a off balance shot. Look at last year. The majority of his point came from a squared up jump shot or a fake, drive and floater. This year he is relied upon to create off the dribble or take contested off balance shots. Lamb is a shooter not a creator.

Reaction Score
I honestly cringed every time we returned from a TO and napier was getting back on the floor yeeeeesh

H

huskymagic

Last year I saw Napier and I was a big fan. I thought he was going to be something special at UConn. I don't understand how a player can regress so much. He is toxic to this team. Last year he would drive it to the hoop and kick it out, drive in aggressively for lay-ups (at the very least draw fouls and get big men in foul trouble) ... plus he read the court very well. His defense was very aggressive and high energy. This year he primarily passes around the parameter, he looks extremely slow, puts in a half (I'm so great I dont even need to try) effort on defense and lobs heavily contested threes. I hope Boatwright doesn't feed into Napier' s negative energy because he has a chance to be something special as well. Napier is a lost cause IMO.

You guys had unreasonable expectation for Napier. He is a limited player and this is the extent of his abilities, and I don't know why you guys had such high expectations for the guy. I am as critical if not the top critic of Shabazz on the boneyard, but this game was not won or lost by Shabazz. It was an all round team loss, and lack of effort and will by most guys including Lamb, Drummond, and Napier. My three main guys Scoe, Oraikhi, and Boat are the only guys that played well or showed any fight or intensity. Napier is the only bench player capable of contributing for us or giving us something an should be the sixth man of this team for 15 minutes a game. Daniels and Olander should not be anywhere near the court playing more than 5 minutes a game as they are unable to contribute anything more than turnover.

starting 5: Boat, Lamb, Scoe, Alex Oriakhi, and Drumond

P.S. Blaney/ Kevin Ollie if you read this thread and this post make sure to slap yourselves silly for disrespecting Roscoe and Alex by playing unworthy players like Olander and Daniels.

Reaction Score
Bazz was never highly recruited and never thought of as a Elite DI point. He is a nice bench player who was thrust into a position he knows he wasn't ready for.

Reaction Score
I'm actually starting to believe that having Daniels start most of the early games was a huge detriment, especially considering he's shown us nothing outside of those cupcake games.

That stifled Roscoe's development and prevented us from getting any kind of rotation at the 2/3/4.

Reaction Score
You guys had unreasonable expectation for Napier. He is a limited player and this is the extent of his abilities, and I don't know why you guys had such high expectations for the guy. I am as critical if not the top critic of Shabazz on the boneyard, but this game was not won or lost by Shabazz. It was an all round team loss, and lack of effort and will by most guys including Lamb, Drummond, and Napier. My three main guys Scoe, Oraikhi, and Boat are the only guys that played well or showed any fight or intensity. Napier is the only bench player capable of contributing for us or giving us something an should be the sixth man of this team for 15 minutes a game. Daniels and Olander should not be anywhere near the court playing more than 5 minutes a game as they are unable to contribute anything more than turnover.

starting 5: Boat, Lamb, Scoe, Alex Oriakhi, and Drumond

P.S. Blaney/ Kevin Ollie if you read this thread and this post make sure to slap yourselves silly for disrespecting Roscoe and Alex by playing unworthy players like Olander and Daniels.

I was excited about the kid because of his moxy, his intangibles which all looked like they could translate to leadership and partially filling the void left behind. He looked pesky and relentless. Physically, the kid has a nice stroke and looked like he had good court vision/was pass first. Clearly, that isn't adding up - he's a complimentary piece and just doesn't look like has the discipline/focus to hold down a leadership role for 40 minutes. On top of that, because he can't hold down a role that he was supposed to inherit from Kemba, it just seems like he's getting frustrated and shutting down/disengaged. It was interesting to hear Vitale bring up the fact that reports from practice are that he's moody, there one day, not the next.

The one thing I noticed when I saw Shabazz at MSG/BE championship last year was how young/physically immature he looked. He looked YOUNG, like brace faced kid. He look like he grew a bit in the offseason, got bigger and you wonder if some of those body changes have moved him from the quick pesky type to having to adapt to being bigger/a little clunkier as a PG.

H

huskymagic

I'm actually starting to believe that having Daniels start most of the early games was a huge detriment, especially considering he's shown us nothing outside of those cupcake games.

That stifled Roscoe's development and prevented us from getting any kind of rotation at the 2/3/4.

Calhoun's tinkering of the lineup by benching scoe in favor of an abysmal Daniels is the worst mistake he has made this entire year. Roscoe is a great human being, a great teammate, and a very good player who plays with passion and love for the game. This disrespect which is continuing with the imbecile Blaney is unfathomable to me. The second worst mistake was elevating Napier to a position and a role that was beyond his capabilities. A guy who lacks quickness, penetration ability, and who is unable to guard the opposing point guard can never be a leader and the point guard of a team such as UConn. Daniels, Napier, and Olander are one in the same they are bench players who were elevated to positions beyond their capabilities. I would rather see Wolf out there because I can guarantee he will play better than Olander or Daniels.

Reaction Score
Shut the *k up will ya. Just come up wiyth something new for once will ya? Nothing but a douchbag broken record at this point looking to pat himself on the back not a real fan.....of anyone but yourself

H

huskymagic

Shut the *k up will ya. Just come up wiyth something new for once will ya? Nothing but a douchbag broken record at this point looking to pat himself on the back not a real fan.....of anyone but yourself

Come on mauconn even you have to agree with the disrespect and hate that Roscoe has gotten by the coaches and by the fans on here this entire year.

P.S. I am not here to pat myself on the back but to break down what I see as our best options and what our weaknesses are. I keep pointing the same stuff over and over again because those changes are still not being made by the coaches and those are the changes that need to be made.

SJ

Reaction Score
I think you and I are the Shabazz faithful...He'll come back and people will have to eat their words.

caw

Reaction Score
Come on mauconn even you have to agree with the disrespect and hate that Roscoe has gotten by the coaches and by the fans on here this entire year.

P.S. I am not here to pat myself on the back but to break down what I see as our best options and what our weaknesses are. I keep pointing the same stuff over and over again because those changes are still not being made by the coaches and those are the changes that need to be made.

And yet you manage to pat yourself on the back every post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have said all year that they need to cut Napier's minutes back. Few sophomore point guards can handle the minutes he is getting. He looks and plays like he is exhausted.

H

huskymagic

And yet you manage to pat yourself on the back every post.

People have to eat crow for their follies :cool:. I keep repeating this stuff because the changes still are not being made by the coaching staff, once they are made I wont even post anymore about Daniels, Napier, etc etc.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more. Boatright is picking up where Shabazz left off. The three guard lineup worked against Seton Hall, not much tonight. Play Giff instead.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Bazz was never highly recruited and never thought of as a Elite DI point. He is a nice bench player who was thrust into a position he knows he wasn't ready for.
not true. he was sought after but we brought him in a year early. he would have been a freshmen this year on a team in the BE or ACC. i'm not making a excuse for him or anything but lets be real with stuff...

Reaction Score
I dont really know what happened to Shabazz. Last year he was a great spark off the bench and was a great distributor. He seemed like our best pure pg last year. A lot of that had to do with Kemba playing the 2 and the opposing team focusing entirely on stopping him, but bazz had great vision and made some sick passes.

.....Now he literally does nothing right. His man torches him every game; Ive never seen lazier d. He has no idea how to run the offense. He doesnt push the ball or dump it down low. He takes horrible shots and awful decisions. He turns it over all the time. AND he has horrible body language and effort. Ive been knocking him pretty hard, and I feel bad because he used to be one of my favorite players, but he is absolutely destroying this team. Hes the captain and he has the worst attitude. His confidence is obviously shot so Im not expecting him to bounce around with the same swagger he used to have, but my god play like you give a crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom