You don't want to hear this... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

You don't want to hear this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How could he have foreseen the situation the program is in today when he awarded the extension after a season in which we improved, got a top 25 win, and went to a bowl? I agree Diaco has to go now, but blaming Benedict for giving him an extension at the time because we suck now is a revisionist view of history.

Not blsming for awarding extension, blaming for agreeing to bad contract. Its called CYA. If boneyard info is to be considered reliable, the contract has no provisions that would make termination a smooth process. Buyouts by another employer, lump sums instead of graduated payments, etc.

Reaction Score
This story may or may not be true, but the quote is troubling. McHugh could have said platitudes or nothing. According to the source, "Diaco isn't going anywhere". That is stronger than "no comment ".

McHugh hasn't been a relevant football guy since he was recruiting at Xavier (think his territory was most of Connecticut) and playing against public schools that could take players only from school district boundaries. Don't listen to him.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Nope if he keeps his job it's because there is no $$ to buy out his contract...nothing more nothing less.
I hope that message is said loud and flipping clear to Bob behind closed doors from BD. If we had the money you'd be gone. Turn your $;:t around next year and you can stick around and not go back to being a coordinator at a different school.

Reaction Score
I hope that message is said loud and flipping clear to Bob behind closed doors from BD. If we had the money you'd be gone. Turn your $;:t around next year and you can stick around and not go back to being a coordinator at a different school.

That should do the trick.

Reaction Score
Not true about hathaway...when Hathaway was throwing a temper tantrum to get his raise while the NCAA was investigating the mens bb team McHugh made it known to Hathaway he was finished if any lack of institutional control charges were filed. Hathaway was protected from McHugh by Hogan and Austin. Besides trying to appease the CT HS coaches...the main person hathaway tried to appease by hiring P was McHugh...hoping it would get Larry off of his back. Once Herbst was hired it was only a matter of time before he was fired between Rachel Rubin and Larry McHugh quickly getting seats at her inner circle table.
There are articles in the Courant in 2011 where is he publicly supporting him. You might be right behind the scenes. I don't know.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
You all know I don't post rumors or conjecture on here. I try not to get into that crap. Well tonight I'm going to wade in the water.

I literally received a txt this afternoon from a fellow Husky supporter who was at the Middlesex Chamber of Commerce breakfast this morning. Larry McHugh was there too. My contact asked him about Diaco and the reply was short and simple. "He's not going anywhere. $5 Million buy out makes it impossible."

Is it possible that Larry isn't "in the know?" Could be be wrong? Could it be a "head fake?"

Man, I hope!

Damas.jpg

Reaction Score
Who in their right mind would work for Diaco?

If Benedict can't drum up $3.5m, that's sad. Even if he could get $2m and the school ate $1.5 or something along those lines... That is within striking distance of what they could lose in tickets / concessions / etc. If you can't shake the UConn tree and get $3.5m I would be stunned.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
yeah...Kevin Anderson forced Edsall to hire Mike Locksley. It was to his benefit to hire that guy anyway...as far as recruiters go he is in Ed Oregon terrority...not as good as Eddy O but that kind of a recruiter.

Maryland loses by 40 every week. Turns out not a great model.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seven weeks from now we will find out if the University of Connecticut wants to support a legitimate athletic program.

If Bob Diaco is employed by UConn on January 3rd - turn out the lights.

If they can't find 3.5 million now, they won't find it at the end of next season.

Next years team wouldn't sniff the FCS playoffs. You don't want to see 2018 if Diaco is retained.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine if they lose to Holy Cross?
If he is back that game will actually tell a lot about where we are going. If it is Maine 2.0 or Stony Brook redux we will know that he won't last until the end of the year. If we lose he shouldn't be allowed back into the locker room.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If he is back that game will actually tell a lot about where we are going. If it is Maine 2.0 or Stony Brook redux we will know that he won't last until the end of the year. If we lose he shouldn't be allowed back into the locker room.
Exactly. The way I felt walking out of the stadium after opening day felt similar to Towson in 2013 and Navy a decade ago. I had very high hopes for this season as by all expectations we should have improved from 2015 while a number of our opponents should have taken a step back. Against Maine the second half should have been all second team players and upper classmen who normally wouldn't see the field. The game, the way it flowed, that it was basically a toss-up that we happened to pull out didn't just feel like a loss, it felt like a crushing blow.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Can you imagine if they lose to Holy Cross?

Not only can I imagine it, if he's still here coaching this team I'd say it's damn likely, despite his spotless record so far vs the I-AA cupcakes. Short of the second coming of Dan Orlovsky in our current recruiting class, next season will be an unmitigated disaster with Fiasco at the helm.

Reaction Score
That should do the trick.

It won't be said like it. I expect Benrdict to say that UConn appreciates that the coaching staff has been great partners in getting us to from level 300 to 200. A coaching staff is like a garden, it must fed and watered othwise unpicked fruit dies on the vine. Consider this a pruning and the final harvest will be more robust. Possibly a level 400 harvest. Then to get to level 500 we will prune at the top, when the buyout is lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom