You can ask anything on the BY? | The Boneyard

You can ask anything on the BY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the lawyers and doctors a "hypothetical":

Someone from your family goes in to a hospital for out-patient surgery to remove a mole which could be skin cancer related. They dig it out (hack job maybe according to pictures?) and send this person home, no prescription before or after for infections. The patient goes home Wednesday, doesn't feel great Thursday but not awful but begins to get flu-like symptoms by the weekend. By Sunday it's bad enough to get to the hospital immediately (missing Fathers Day) in which they realize this is very serious. A smaller city hospital air lifts him to Hartford for reasons in which we did not know until the realization was he was in trouble.

Long story sad and short, he passes last evening due to what they perceive to be complications from the surgery. Friends closer to the hospital world throw out things like nosocomial etc etc..

If it's your sisters son do you offer help in taking this to legal action for her as well as his wife of 3 months?

I am sure there are many more questions and I am sure this hypothetical family member should have been less stubborn but there seems to be some very intelligent medical care providers as well as lawyers out there who may have a word or 2 of advice in a situation like this?

Thanks

Reaction Score

Someone from your family goes in to a hospital for out-patient surgery to remove a mole which could be skin cancer related. They dig it out (hack job maybe according to pictures?) and send this person home, no prescription before or after for infections. The patient goes home Wednesday, doesn't feel great Thursday but not awful but begins to get flu-like symptoms by the weekend. By Sunday it's bad enough to get to the hospital immediately (missing Fathers Day) in which they realize this is very serious. A smaller city hospital air lifts him to Hartford for reasons in which we did not know until the realization was he was in trouble.

Long story sad and short, he passes last evening due to what they perceive to be complications from the surgery. Friends closer to the hospital world throw out things like nosocomial etc etc..

If it's your sisters son do you offer help in taking this to legal action for her as well as his wife of 3 months?

I am sure there are many more questions and I am sure this hypothetical family member should have been less stubborn but there seems to be some very intelligent medical care providers as well as lawyers out there who may have a word or 2 of advice in a situation like this?

Thanks
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a jury would be sympathetic though.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I've had several minor skin cancers removed right in the dermatologist's office, antibiotics were not prescribed, but this sounds like a bigger tissue removal. Should you go looking for legal help, remember that the best medical malpractice attorneys work for the same contingency fee as the worst. So go for the best, they will let you know up front if you have a case.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Just horrible mau. First your dad and now your nephew. Plus the breakup of your sister's marriage. My deepest condolences.

Reaction Score
My condolences man, that is horrible. Definitely sounds like a lawsuit from the outside looking in. I dont know the way all of that works but you better believe i would be trying to get answers and talking to a lawyer too. Just seems like something that appeared to be such a minor procedure should not have ended in death.... Someone really botched that up and should at the very least be held accountable and potentially lose their ability to do that to someone else.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This is very sad indeed. My condolences.

Lost my older brother due to complications to a number of injuries he suffered, although he was definitely recovering early on. Then he got pneumonia while at Stamford Hospital. We potentially had a case as there was definitely disagreements between his "team" on how to treat him, but there were so many things wrong with him that we were advised not to move forward.

Reaction Score
Just horrible mau. First your dad and now your nephew. Plus the breakup of your sister's marriage. My deepest condolences.

Mom but thank you. Worst even than I my sister buried mom 4months ago now her son. And he just got married 2 months ago, they bought a house and were the happiest couple. Not good but thank you to everyone.

Reaction Score
remember that the best medical malpractice attorneys work for the same contingency fee as the worst.
This is not true in my neck of the woods. I've seen some newb lawyers going as low as 1/5 to try to get work.
Where I'm at, you have to have a doctor sign something indicating that mal practice likely occurred before you can even file a case. What that means is that you've got an up front cost of 3-5 grand before you can even start writing the complaint. So do you have a case? It's very simple. The mother/father of the decedent should go to at least 3 different medi mal attorneys. If all 3 want the case and are willing to pay for all costs, then you have a case. If only two, might not be that strong. One or none, might be nothing there. If the decedent contributed to his own death, then there will likely be an award reduction that could be significant. Of course, if you can show negligence, payouts on cases like this can be very large.
Where I'm at, BTW, 7 out of 8 medimal cases that go to a jury return a judgement in favor of the doc. What that means is that the medimal defense attorneys are quite good at what they do, and Insurance companies have gotten much more reluctant to pay out and much more ready to fight in court.
Litigation is painful as well. Loss of quality of life should not be ignored.
Good luck.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
wow mau sorry for your loss.

Im not a litigious guy by nature, but damn does that sound like a real raw deal and should probably be examined.

Reaction Score
Stay strong, brother. Better days ahead. And yes, there definitely sounds like there's room for some sort of financial retribution here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry to hear this very sad news. It's certainly worth retaining counsel to look into it. Proving MedMal isn't easy, and there are increasing numbers of people who go into hospitals and die from what they contract in the hospital. Antibiotic resistance is going to keep driving those numbers up, which is no consolation to the family of course.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This is not true in my neck of the woods. I've seen some newb lawyers going as low as 1/5 to try to get work.
Where I'm at, you have to have a doctor sign something indicating that mal practice likely occurred before you can even file a case. What that means is that you've got an up front cost of 3-5 grand before you can even start writing the complaint. So do you have a case? It's very simple. The mother/father of the decedent should go to at least 3 different medi mal attorneys. If all 3 want the case and are willing to pay for all costs, then you have a case. If only two, might not be that strong. One or none, might be nothing there. If the decedent contributed to his own death, then there will likely be an award reduction that could be significant. Of course, if you can show negligence, payouts on cases like this can be very large.
Where I'm at, BTW, 7 out of 8 medimal cases that go to a jury return a judgement in favor of the doc. What that means is that the medimal defense attorneys are quite good at what they do, and Insurance companies have gotten much more reluctant to pay out and much more ready to fight in court.
Litigation is painful as well. Loss of quality of life should not be ignored.
Good luck.
You get what you pay for, if some kid wants to take a cut on the contingency fee. run the other way. My advice was to only seek out the best, so a moot point. Agreed on the rest, med mal is a war.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Hypothetically...I give you sincere condolences. I would get Mark E. Salamone and Morelli fast.

Reaction Score

Thanks
My condolences on loss of your nephew. Sounds like there is a case there. Tragic case.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mau, I am ver sorry to hear about your loss and I said a prayer for your nephew's widow and the entire family. Your nephews widow should certainly consult with a few attorneys regarding the situation. Taste of UConn's post was spot on. Just a hunch, but I suspect that the narrative and your nephew's circumstances and youth make it a case that most medmal defense guys would avoid putting in front of a jury. His widow should certainly speak with a (multiple) attorney.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ugh. Awful news. So sorry for your loss, Mau.

And to answer your question, yes you should absolutely go nail these bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom