Yes exhibition... but still | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Yes exhibition... but still

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You don't seem to grasp the full reality of the situation.

We need time to gel. And we do have time to gel. Not a lot of time, but time.

Anyone who thought this team would play well right off the bat should have their head checked. Because that notion was crazy.

I agree that the team needs to have a decent enough record to compete for an NCAA berth, or Ollie's on the chopping block. But if we get there, it's going to be because the team improves over time, not because it's magically great right out of the box.

I really can't tell you how silly I think it is for anybody who's been watching college basketball for longer than 2 months to have thought that this team would be playing well in November.

That’s what I’ve thought is the biggest risk.

4-5 weeks from now an at-large could be out of reach with a slow start.

It’s a huge month.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Three of PC's top guys did not even play last night! Our back court is good but our front court is (and seems to be perpetually) weak, young and inexperienced. If they don't improve dramatically it will be a long year and Ollie will be sitting on one of the the hottest seats in BBall. We can't afford to be mediocre. Benedict won't hesitate to make a move. He didn't hire him and Calhoun has moved on.

Guess there aren’t Nostical wins in basketball.

Reaction Score
Agree with a lot that has been said in this thread.

I was there the other night and I am literally scared to think how this season will go.
As others have said no shooters to be found. Same "offense".

Other than Jalen who is exactly going to score? Gilbert is a must. Hope is healthy enough to play a lot.
.Relying on 2 fragile players (Gilbert and Larrier)to help lead you is a tough way to go.

Don't need Larrier going 5- 20 in every game to get numbers. He hurts us more than helps with his poor shot selection and gunner mentality .Same thing he did last year in 3 1/2 games before he got hurt.

Diarra looks like a guy that will have 3 fouls by the half of every game.

Let's face it we have no quality scoring depth. Yeah Vital will have a double digit game here or there but not every game.

No offensive set. Same old thing the other night of passing around the three point line. No movement clock winding down We then have to rush up a poor shot. Opponent rebounds scores down other end.

That being said I did like Anderson's hustle and defensive play. Cobb rebounded well. And I like what Carlton showed.

I was scared to think of what might be this season for months now and nothing I saw the other night made me feel any better.

I realize it was an exhibition game and these guys for the most part have not played together. I just don't see enough quality talent to win night in and night out.

I hope I am so wrong about what I am expecting this year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
One thing on Kwintin — According to his Instagram story he is back in the gym on campus right now (close to midnight) putting in work. Could tell he was frustrated by the game tonight but instead of sulking like a lot of guys would do, he took it as an opportunity to get better. The raw skills are clearly there so the fact that he seemingly has the work ethic to go along with that athleticism is a step in the right direction.
That's great and it made my day. Hopefully this will be catchy. Winning attitude and strong work ethic.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Given the players, the injuries and, especially, the lack of experience, you had to be crazy to think we were having a strong start. That said, I expected a good effort.

It was not a good effort. Bad defense, bad offense.
Will it get better? Yes. Will it prove to be enough? I don't have as much faith as I did before this game. Which is a less than I had two years ago. But still enough to play out this year.

C

Chief00

Liked Cobb and Carlton rebounding, but not their fouling.

We can't shoot. It's been a problem for years, but every year we tend to underrate how important it is. Ollie keeps recruiting point guards who are moderate shooters and in aggregate we get open 3s and miss them. And then teams zone us, we can no longer penetrate, and we're toast.

I agree in today’s college game you need 2-3 top 3 point shooters. We have none.

Reaction Score
Don't need Larrier going 5- 20 in every game to get numbers. He hurts us more than helps with his poor shot selection and gunner mentality .Same thing he did last year in 3 1/2 games before he got hurt.
Larrier shot 49% from the floor last year before he got hurt and averaged like 16pts in the 3 full games he played.

C

Chief00

Given the players, the injuries and,
It was not a good effort. Bad defense, bad offense.

Sorry, I did not see a good effort. Bad shooting often creates bad effort even when you need extra effort to offset bad shooting.

C

Chief00

Larrier shot 49% from the floor last year before he got hurt and averaged like 16pts in the 3 full games he played.
Against who? Additionally, we are where we are - we need to win some of the early RPI games - no one cares about the injury and young narratives when it comes to March selection Sunday.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Level headed = easy to digest and comforting on the BY
Says the guy who needs to make a dig to make himself feel comfortable about his opinion.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Sorry, I did not see a good effort. Bad shooting often creates bad effort even when you need extra effort to offset bad shooting.
The sky is blue. And it's overhead. Unless it's not.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Umm, that is what I said.

Reaction Score
WTF

81719B60-ED46-4B7C-B8C4-F428FF13E1B4.jpeg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hopefully the team can start gelling by Thanksgiving.
I hope before then. If we don't go 3-0 against Colgate, Stone Brook and BU, it is going to be a rough season.

Reaction Score
His reply was even better. He is new to college basketball....(like every freshman in the country by the way) and they want to bring him along slowly.

What it sounds like you have here is the basketball version of Johnny Mcentee....a youtube sensation....

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
His reply was even better. He is new to college basketball....(like every freshman in the country by the way) and they want to bring him along slowly.

What it sounds like you have here is the basketball version of Johnny Mcentee....a youtube sensation....

I wonder how the posters telling us they had inside info re. him being a big-time contributor are feeling.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Always a good time to watch UConn's verision of "Johnny Football"

Actually a lot of parodies this Caroline Doty video:

So it might be worht while to watch it first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder how the posters telling us they had inside info re. him being a big-time contributor are feeling.
There is most likely not a big time contributor in our entire frontcourt, think some were just hoping Kwintin or any one of them might break out a bit. You should be concerned about our team and not what other posters think.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There is most likely not a big time contributor in our entire frontcourt, think some were just hoping Kwintin or any one of them might break out a bit. You should be concerned about our team and not what other posters think.

Yes father.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hope before then. If we don't go 3-0 against Colgate, Stone Brook and BU, it is going to be a rough season.

I'm thinking that notwithstanding last year's early results, we'll beat those guys even if we haven't gelled by then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom