Yes exhibition... but still | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Yes exhibition... but still

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
The issue last night was absolutely defense. PC shot something like 75% from 3 and about the same from the field. They didn't miss. Uconn couldn't rebound and push. Adams and vital looked good. I liked what I saw from Diarra (aside from the nickel/dime fouls) Cobb and carlton.

Larrier couldn't get anything to fall...that will change.

I was hoping kwintin would play more. I didn't read this whole thread. Maybe someone had some insight?

Reaction Score
The issue last night was absolutely defense. PC shot something like 75% from 3 and about the same from the field. They didn't miss. Uconn couldn't rebound and push. Adams and vital looked good. I liked what I saw from Diarra (aside from the nickel/dime fouls) Cobb and carlton.

Larrier couldn't get anything to fall...that will change.

I was hoping kwintin would play more. I didn't read this whole thread. Maybe someone had some insight?
Agreed. I mean we scored 76 points. If we tighten up our defense on most nights 76 will be enough to win

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Larrier needs to keep the ball moving. It stops with him like melo. No one makes any cuts and they all stay on the perimeter. I do think our bigs will improve and be a good option down on the post. Defensively we need to improve immediately

Reaction Score
UConn men' hoops is just another stark reality of the damage done to the school's revenue sports by conference realignment. It will obviously take longer with the women with Geno still coaching. When he leaves, start the hourglass. Without a P5 conference platform, UConn athletic program is taking on water

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
UConn men' hoops is just another stark reality of the damage done to the school's revenue sports by conference realignment. It will obviously take longer with the women with Geno still coaching. When he leaves, start the hourglass. Without a P5 conference platform, UConn athletic program is taking on water
That display last night has nothing to do with P5 conference

Reaction Score
We have a very solid schedule this year with a lot of ranked teams so next we have to get recruits to buy in.

Reaction Score
Agree as far as the venue. I sat in the second row of the upper section and could see only the court (like being right on top of it) and the one row of folks in front of me. Comfortable chairs and room for people to get by. Place is spotless including men's rooms. Drove right into the "Riverview garage" and never had to even go outdoors. Delighted to find a Pepe's Pizza shop and it was sold during the game by slice as well. I enjoyed watching PC give them a real challenge early in the preseason. I think PC is well coached and their he was really into it. Talked to a PC fan and when I said I thought they were pretty good he said he thinks Rhode Island is better. Overall all of this is good for New England. Helps to thin out the talent going to the P5 and making a way for talented coaches to raise up programs.

I'm shocked Pepe's is willing to put their name on that pizza that was served in the arena. It was lukewarm and covered in oil. I actually believe it was worse than regular arena pizza. But agreed great clean arena.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That is if Benedict is still here. Isn't Auburn looking for a new AD?

Not officially. But it’s not looking good for him.

Reaction Score
Not officially. But it’s not looking good for him.

Not looking good in the sense Auburn won't hire him or not looking good in the sense bad news for UConn because they will hire him?

Reaction Score
You don't seem to grasp the full reality of the situation.

We need time to gel. And we do have time to gel. Not a lot of time, but time.

Anyone who thought this team would play well right off the bat should have their head checked. Because that notion was crazy.

I agree that the team needs to have a decent enough record to compete for an NCAA berth, or Ollie's on the chopping block. But if we get there, it's going to be because the team improves over time, not because it's magically great right out of the box.

I really can't tell you how silly I think it is for anybody who's been watching college basketball for longer than 2 months to have thought that this team would be playing well in November.

It would be silly in a vacuum, except this is exactly what we've all said over and over again the last few years and it doesn't turn around.

I'm no longer making excuses for KO and saying we need time to gel. We need results.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also another thing to point out was the refs were awful both ways tonight. Really took the flow out of the game.

Refs called the fouls. The players were awful at not fouling. Which is to be expected in an exhibition game.

Reaction Score
Here's your annual reminder about October/November Hot Takes.

Sam Cassell Jr

That was a rosy take.

This program doesn't do pleasant surprises anymore. I don't expect Larrier to be as bad all season as he was last night, but it's not too early to say he was badly over-hyped.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Not looking good in the sense Auburn won't hire him or not looking good in the sense bad news for UConn because they will hire him?

Sorry my bad. Not looking good for the auburn ad. He's getting a lot of heat for a debacle with the softball team. He's probably gonna get fired.

Reaction Score
A few takeaways:
1. This team will rely heavily on Jalen
2. Rique needs to take the ball to the rim more
3. All 3 freshmen will be very good, even if not this year
4. Cobb will give us a decent post presence and will rebound well
5. Anderson may not be a top 3 guard, but his toughness and defense will get him 15-20 minutes a night
6. Vital is going to be huge and likely the second highest scorer

Reaction Score
You don't seem to grasp the full reality of the situation.

We need time to gel. And we do have time to gel. Not a lot of time, but time.

Anyone who thought this team would play well right off the bat should have their head checked. Because that notion was crazy.

I agree that the team needs to have a decent enough record to compete for an NCAA berth, or Ollie's on the chopping block. But if we get there, it's going to be because the team improves over time, not because it's magically great right out of the box.

I really can't tell you how silly I think it is for anybody who's been watching college basketball for longer than 2 months to have thought that this team would be playing well in November.

I agree in part, but I think you're overstating the situation to suggest that people would be crazy to think we could be good off the bat. Did anybody expect us to beat #2 Michigan State and railroad Kentucky in 2010? I mean seriously, try to think back to that moment when a Husky team starting three freshman was taking on a group that returned four starters from a final four team. Yes we had Kemba, yes we had Calhoun, but those things only became clear in hindsight. At the time, the idea that we could hang with Michigan State, much less beat them, was the stuff of fantasy. Hell, it was the stuff of fantasy five years ago when we opened the season in Germany against the same Michigan State program.

But now we need to get our head checks to think they should turn in a representative performance against Providence? They ranked 60th last season in KenPom, guys. They didn't make it to the round of 64 and they were missing two of their five starters - Lindsay and Holt - for this exhibition. They recruit from the same tree that we do and those same recruits, and I'm talking about the first and second year guys, put a clown suit on us. They shot 67%. Sixty seven percent. They led by 27 with 8 minutes left. I would argue that you need your head checked if you expected that.

It's not the end of the world and it would be foolish to draw too many conclusions from what amounted to a charity game. Things change quickly in college basketball for obvious reasons, but there is also variance. That was one game and if a few less shots fall for PC, it shouldn't dramatically alter the outlook. The same would be true if UConn won. I do think, though, that it is fair to be alarmed at this point, and I don't think that's because expectations were unrealistic.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I agree in part, but I think you're overstating the situation to suggest that people would be crazy to think we could be good off the bat. Did anybody expect us to beat #2 Michigan State and railroad Kentucky in 2010? I mean seriously, try to think back to that moment when a Husky team starting three freshman was taking on a group that returned four starters from a final four team. Yes we had Kemba, yes we had Calhoun, but those things only became clear in hindsight. At the time, the idea that we could hang with Michigan State, much less beat them, was the stuff of fantasy. Hell, it was the stuff of fantasy five years ago when we opened the season in Germany against the same Michigan State program.

But now we need to get our head checks to think they should turn in a representative performance against Providence? They ranked 60th last season in KenPom, guys. They didn't make it to the round of 64 and they were missing two of their five starters - Lindsay and Holt - for this exhibition. They recruit from the same tree that we do and those same recruits, and I'm talking about the first and second year guys, put a clown suit on us. They shot 67%. Sixty seven percent. They led by 27 with 8 minutes left. I would argue that you need your head checked if you expected that.

It's not the end of the world and it would be foolish to draw too many conclusions from what amounted to a charity game. Things change quickly in college basketball for obvious reasons, but there is also variance. That was one game and if a few less shots fall for PC, it shouldn't dramatically alter the outlook. The same would be true if UConn won. I do think, though, that it is fair to be alarmed at this point, and I don't think that's because expectations were unrealistic.

I gotta say, I don't always agree with what you write, but as someone who essentially writes for a living, I appreciate your well-crafted posts.

I didn't expect much out of the team in this game, or in the first few weeks of the season, and I suppose I didn't appreciate how many people did. I didn't expect PC to shoot 67%, no, but yeah I do think that it was Pollyannish for anyone to think that a team with approximately 3,000 new pieces was going to click immediately. Could they have? Sure. Anything's possible; UConn fans know that better than anyone. But was it likely? This isn't 20/20 hindsight. I was saying this all summer.

I do expect great things out of Adams, and Vital is solid. And I expect Gilbert will be very good this year. But he's essentially a freshman. Larrier has a high ceiling but, IMO, a low floor as well. I was not impressed by him before his injury last year, although admittedly the sample size was small. And we replaced our two (four?) best big men with a JUCO, an average Ivy Leaguer, a dunker and some freshmen (one a RS).

Don't get me wrong; I think this team can be good, once Gilbert and Larrier get their sea legs and the guys learn to play with one another. But you simply can't throw a new team out there for the first time against a decent team and expect miracles. Hey, at least we only turned it over 10 times.

Hopefully the team can start gelling by Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score

Why the hell are you here? Honestly. You're a turd in the bowl.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
A few takeaways:
1. This team will rely heavily on Jalen
2. Rique needs to take the ball to the rim more
3. All 3 freshmen will be very good, even if not this year
4. Cobb will give us a decent post presence and will rebound well
5. Anderson may not be a top 3 guard, but his toughness and defense will get him 15-20 minutes a night
6. Vital is going to be huge and likely the second highest scorer
Anderson looked lost on defense. Gilbert should be the facilitator. We need our wings to make more cuts to the basket. We had four of our players on the perimeter and then it lead to one on one threes. We have the talent but putting it together is another thing

Reaction Score
I just want to remember who the poster was that suggested Kwintin would be turning pro after this year.

Edit* It was @AZHuskiePop
If you understand his background and age Then you might have a clue
He was going to go pro this. year.
,when he got the UConn offer. He had no NBA delusions.
Going pro does not necessarily mean NBA . But if he shows anything at UConn it can mean making more money. It’s going to be a long season he will get his chance.
My statement was he will not be here next year and I still believe that.The problem with many on the board is they forget that the players are human. Humans don’t fit neatly into to some compartment.
Unless this kid suddenly gets a burst of scholarship there is zero benefit to him staying more than a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom