cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Current Pitching

Cole has been a great signing
Cortes a plus signing, six inning guy which is fine with a good pen
German a plus but a bit erratic
Montas - I didn’t really know him. Was bad before he got hurt
Rodon - On paper a good get. Jury out. Did they know he was unusable when they signed him?
Severino - his contract might seem bad in hindsight, but he was a Cy Young level guy. Future? One can hope
Schmidt - Had settled in reasonably well after an atrocious beginning. Looks like a 5-6 inning guy
Brito Potential

on paper a good staff of starters

Key relievers
Holmes mostly good after bad start
King - either great or bad
Peralta - was only lefty. I don’t like him - on paper looks ok, alway in trouble
Maranacchio - erratic
Abreu - erratic
Hamilton.

Relief records look better than I think they perform.

Past moves. Chapman had become a head case in NY. A given he was gone
Gray. Obvious flop in NY. The deal to get him was judged an A at thevtime

Kluber. Obvious great pitcher in the past. Not a great signing overall

Montas - Didn’t know him. I guess he was decent so maybe an ok signing. Been an obvious bad signing so far. Maybe the jury is out

Montgomery for Bader. - I was a lukewarm fan of Montgomery. To me he varied between pretty good or very hittable. Bader is a solid major leaguer filling a spot NY needed given the futile Hicks. Bader is an A+ fielder and a decent clutch hitter. Despite Montgomery being ok for St L, not a bad deal, but what did NY expect of Bader’s health at the time.

Overall I give Cashman a B-B+

Reaction Score
So you think finishing first or second in the division (100 wins in one 2nd place year) six years running equals total failure. I think that is a bit unrealistic.

And you didn’t answer my question in another thread. You said you played Goodie recently and I asked how it is these days. Keney was always way more interesting and the upgrades at Keney have been really good. What is your verdict.

Goodie wasn’t bad I enjoyed the layout. Course overall was in nice shape tee boxes need a little work. Will play it again!

Losing 2 of 3 to the lowly Rockies and another spoiled Cole outing, 2 hits and 11 Ks. Poor guy should have 12-13 wins.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Goodie wasn’t bad I enjoyed the layout. Course overall was in nice shape tee boxes need a little work. Will play it again!

Losing 2 of 3 to the lowly Rockies and another spoiled Cole outing, 2 hits and 11 Ks. Poor guy should have 12-13 wins.
Thanks on Goodie

If you read my analysis of pitching i said i thought the relievers were shakier than the record showed. Cole definitely should have more wins. As much as i don’t trust the reluvers, why does every mistake they make go into the seats. A sharp single to center would be ok. Starters are ok, but Cortes, Sdmidt and maybe even Germsn are 6 inning guys. The relievers sre important. Well we have csught a few breaks. Hicks is gone and now so is Donaldson.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And Severino was fine yesterday. But the bullpen is shaky, not good with how bad the hitting is.

But don’t worry, the problem is fixed with the new batting coach. His magic is already working - Stanton put the ball in play in one of his at bats yesterday. Torres is kind of proving these opposing pitchers are hittable. The others are making all seem like Cy Young.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It would have made a lot of sense if we took a page from Colorado's playbook (didn't pitch to Stanton at all on Sunday) and applied it to Ohtani.

One major flaw with the methodology of five inning starting pitchers is that you need a ridiculously deep bullpen (minimum six or seven quality arms) or you'll overtax them by midseason (which is exactly what we've done.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It would have made a lot of sense if we took a page from Colorado's playbook (didn't pitch to Stanton at all on Sunday) and applied it to Ohtani.

One major flaw with the methodology of five inning starting pitchers is that you need a ridiculously deep bullpen (minimum six or seven quality arms) or you'll overtax them by midseason (which is exactly what we've done.
C’mon, the guy swung and missed at the pitch before, so clearly they had his number. Even ithen, they have so much trouble scoring that ghost runner. The sad thing is Dinaldson’s replacement was on base 4 times.

Reaction Score
C’mon, the guy swung and missed at the pitch before, so clearly they had his number. Even ithen, they have so much trouble scoring that ghost runner. The sad thing is Dinaldson’s replacement was on base 4 times.
5 times for Peraza, 4 BBs and a hit along with a stolen base. Hate to ever say this about anyone but this injury is wonderful. It's the only way Cash and Boone can make a good decision, when their hands are forced.

Reaction Score
An actual factual analysis will follow soon since you force my hand.if using facts seems defensive, so be it. Just the lawyer in.me. I actually think you and mau have selective memories and unreal expectations in light of the actual availability of key pieces and team history. Mind you, I don’t love this season any more than you do. I’m not a big Cashman fan but I’m even less of a Boone fan. I think his pitching moves are often way too much by the book and his resting of players kind of manic But I kinda think you do expect them to be WS contenders every year no matter what. In fact they have not been totally out of contention for the last 6 years. You are focussed on who they didn’t get. Look at who they did get and other roster moves. that will be in a future post Also whether or not they have given young guys a chance. I think the number might be greater going back say 5 years than you think, but I need to look it up.

As far as injuries not being an excuse, kind of a pat answer. How about 5-6 expected starters and 2nd tier subs being out at the same time. You are not looking at the team management expected on the field pre-season or built very often. The second stringers who themselves got hurt were mostly pretty decent fill ins and the team was winning fairly well when they went down. I’d be interested in knowing all of the front running teams that have had that situation. And the Rays just dropped 7 in a row.

The first factoid that I’m ready for. Since 2017, NY has finished 1st in the division twice and second every one of the others. Had 100 wins one year they finished second and less than 90 only in the COVID year. Not the worst team building you’ll ever see.

More coming after I walk the dog and if I can look things up before family shows up at my door. We all want the same things, but it is just baseball. The older I get (I’m old) the less I give a poo.
Ya I do expect the Yankees to compete for championships every year their the Yankees. I do have high expectations I admit I’m a spoiled Yankee fan growing up watching the core four, have ( I’m 39 btw). I don’t believe my expectations are unrealistic.

Last time I had high hopes for Yankees was the 2020 season when they got Cole. Since then something has felt very off about them with doubling down on their mistakes, Yankees used to be about overcoming obstacles they used the covid season as an excuse, ya I get it was a weird season. The excuses have continued whether that’s injuries, the weather, playing in other parks etc etc,. That just doesn’t feel like Yankees to me. They are just a boring team and franchise.

I see we’re in relative agreement about Boone and Cashman. You give less of a poo because this team is boring come on you know it’s true lol.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I lost all confidence in Cashman when he traded for Gallo. Unless they award championships for the tallest outfield, getting Gallo was always a bad idea.

And...I really hope the Judge contract doesn't become an albatross. I get why they signed him, but if he continues his injury trend (freak injury or not), they will miss out on his peak years.

The team is poorly constructed with 3 huge contracts...and their minor league system is not developing players. It's a bad combo. Hard to be optimistic.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Ya I do expect the Yankees to compete for championships every year their the Yankees. I do have high expectations I admit I’m a spoiled Yankee fan growing up watching the core four, have ( I’m 39 btw). I don’t believe my expectations are unrealistic.

Last time I had high hopes for Yankees was the 2020 season when they got Cole. Since then somThe ething has felt very off about them with doubling down on their mistakes, Yankees used to be about overcoming obstacles they used the covid season as an excuse, ya I get it was a weird season. The excuses have continued whether that’s injuries, the weather, playing in other parks etc etc,. That just doesn’t feel like Yankees to me. They are just a boring team and franchise.
now
I see we’re in relative agreement about Boone and Cashman. You give less of a poo because this team is boring come on you know it’s true lol.
Nah. I’ve had far more important things go bad. And I’ve seen more Yankee success and failure than you by a lot. I grew up with Mickey, Yogi, Whitey and company, saw Maris added, Thurman, the terrible CBS ownership, Reggie, Rickey, Winfield, Bucky, Guidry, Lyle, Gossage and many more. I”m way more spoiled.

Fact is, they were doing ok this year with a ton of season left when Judge went down followed by a crazy number of injuries. Guys like Stanton and especially Rizzo were productive, got hurt and haven’t recovered. I think Volpe will be ok, but maybe won’t start paying off until next year. I wasn’t sold on a bunch of the relievers and it’s showing now especially with the weak O. Cashman has actually built a decent starting pitching staff. The young guys maybe will provide answers at 3rd and left. I’d also like a better hitting catcher. Trevino maybe could be that if he would use going to right more. Higgy is a decent back up. The problem for them right now is do they hope to make a run when Judge returns and make a package deal for a top hitter to bolster the line up or do they concede the season. I don’t see them trading to a front runner. Maybe trade 10 guys for Ohtani

Reaction Score
Nah. I’ve had far more important things go bad. And I’ve seen more Yankee success and failure than you by a lot. I grew up with Mickey, Yogi, Whitey and company, saw Maris added, Thurman, the terrible CBS ownership, Reggie, Rickey, Winfield, Bucky, Guidry, Lyle, Gossage and many more. I”m way more spoiled.

Fact is, they were doing ok this year with a ton of season left when Judge went down followed by a crazy number of injuries. Guys like Stanton and especially Rizzo were productive, got hurt and haven’t recovered. I think Volpe will be ok, but maybe won’t start paying off until next year. I wasn’t sold on a bunch of the relievers and it’s showing now especially with the weak O. Cashman has actually built a decent starting pitching staff. The young guys maybe will provide answers at 3rd and left. I’d also like a better hitting catcher. Trevino maybe could be that if he would use going to right more. Higgy is a decent back up. The problem for them right now is do they hope to make a run when Judge returns and make a package deal for a top hitter to bolster the line up or do they concede the season. I don’t see them trading to a front runner. Maybe trade 10 guys for Ohtani

No no no cohen. They were the same team with or without Judge as they have been. Decent regular season team with zero chance to win a championship which should be the goal. They re-signed an aging Rizzo for Judge to assure he’d stay how’s that working out? Stanton has never been the guy they’re Paton Mega Bucks money to annually. The starting staff isn’t awful by any means but it’s not winning a series against a good team. Only one you can count on is Cole as we’ve seen. The OF is pathetic unless Bader plays more than he actually does every year and to be honest offensively he’s all or nothing, but an improvement on Hicks. Volpe needed at least another year in the minors to develop. One can only hope Sean Casey can do something with the young man because he’s overmatched high and tight always with that swing.

Agree with the prior post on Gallo. You just have to be an actual dope to trade for him and Cash didn’t let us down lol.

Changes need to be made and analytics need to be tossed out the door or we will begin to beg for UConn basketball to start again every May because the Yankees stink.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No no no cohen. They were the same team with or without Judge as they have been. Decent regular season team with zero chance to win a championship which should be the goal. They re-signed an aging Rizzo for Judge to assure he’d stay how’s that working out? Stanton has never been the guy they’re Paton Mega Bucks money to annually. The starting staff isn’t awful by any means but it’s not winning a series against a good team. Only one you can count on is Cole as we’ve seen. The OF is pathetic unless Bader plays more than he actually does every year and to be honest offensively he’s all or nothing, but an improvement on Hicks. Volpe needed at least another year in the minors to develop. One can only hope Sean Casey can do something with the young man because he’s overmatched high and tight always with that swing.

Agree with the prior post on Gallo. You just have to be an actual dope to trade for him and Cash didn’t let us down lol.

Changes need to be made and analytics need to be tossed out the door or we will begin to beg for UConn basketball to start again every May because the Yankees stink.
To get back to the original thread, unfortunately my Prime worked perfectly last night. Watching the game leads to 2 conclusions.

1. The Yankees need a new hitting coach. Oh, wait.

2. The Yankee batters are confused because the TV broadcast team is rested as often as they are. Different team every series leads to inconsistent TV analysis. Come on YES, your on field performance is striking out. Actually, I like Kay and don’t like when he isn’t there.

And now Bader may be down again. Hopefully Rodon will be back on the IL soon. Luckily i will be away most of this weekend and out of the US next weekend doing fun things nowhere near a TV.

Reaction Score
To get back to the original thread, unfortunately my Prime worked perfectly last night. Watching the game leads to 2 conclusions.

1. The Yankees need a new hitting coach. Oh, wait.

2. The Yankee batters are confused because the TV broadcast team is rested as often as they are. Different team every series leads to inconsistent TV analysis. Come on YES, your on field performance is striking out. Actually, I like Kay and don’t like when he isn’t there.

And now Bader may be down again. Hopefully Rodon will be back on the IL soon. Luckily i will be away most of this weekend and out of the US next weekend doing fun things nowhere near a TV.

Glad I don't get them often in WesMass I will tell you that I would be sick. Bader being down, again nothing new with this guy he's an injury magnet always was. Just another Cash beauty. I think Brian believes eventually he will get a player often injured elsewhere and magically they will be healthy the rest of their careers. Uh nope not a once Cash you suck.

By the way I hope they let a career nice hitter like Sean Casey refrain from analytics and just help people get to a point where they can hit. I mean there's some dramatic swing changes needed, not sure all can even ever be good hitters or not. But I am sure if he's allowed to do his thing some will show improvement. Of course from .190 to .220 doesn't put you in playoffs but it's a start. Now they need to give Casey some players with some potential.

Can't wait for Giant football and especially Husky hoops again!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Glad I don't get them often in WesMass I will tell you that I would be sick. Bader being down, again nothing new with this guy he's an injury magnet always was. Just another Cash beauty. I think Brian believes eventually he will get a player often injured elsewhere and magically they will be healthy the rest of their careers. Uh nope not a once Cash you suck.

By the way I hope they let a career nice hitter like Sean Casey refrain from analytics and just help people get to a point where they can hit. I mean there's some dramatic swing changes needed, not sure all can even ever be good hitters or not. But I am sure if he's allowed to do his thing some will show improvement. Of course from .190 to .220 doesn't put you in playoffs but it's a start. Now they need to give Casey some players with some potential.

Can't wait for Giant football and especially Husky hoops again!
In fairness, Bader was hit by a pitch this time. Maybe the secret to Yankee success. Instead of hitting the pitch let the pitch hit you.

Reaction Score
In fairness, Bader was hit by a pitch this time. Maybe the secret to Yankee success. Instead of hitting the pitch let the pitch hit you.

Yeah but again, a magnet. Just one of those guys like Hicks (better) but always playing 90-100 instead of 140-150 games. It’s the unfortunate reality.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Yeah but again, a magnet. Just one of those guys like Hicks (better) but always playing 90-100 instead of 140-150 games. It’s the unfortunate reality.
Exactly...like I said with Judge...some players seem to attract freak injuries.

I believe Bader is a free agent this year...would you let him go? I say let him go...love him as a player...but it's just too disruptive to have your CF out of the lineup often. The only way you keep him is if you have plenty of outfielders to take his place when injured. And that's not the Yankees.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Exactly...like I said with Judge...some players seem to attract freak injuries.

I believe Bader is a free agent this year...would you let him go? I say let him go...love him as a player...but it's just too disruptive to have your CF out of the lineup often. The only way you keep him is if you have plenty of outfielders to take his place when injured. And that's not the Yankees.
Easy to say. Who replaces him? Seriously.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Easy to say. Who replaces him? Seriously.
I don't know who will be a free agent this year...but when you have Stanton and Judge...you need an outfielder who can play more than 120 games.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I don't know who will be a free agent this year...but when you have Stanton and Judge...you need an outfielder who can play more than 120 games.
I know the Yankees have a bunch of injuries. So do the Angels and some other teams. The point being, you never have a guarantee. Judge’s injury was totally freak and as it turns out, the catch was better off not made. This injury to Bader was a HBP. Had zero to do with any other injury he’s had. I hate Stanton in the outfield. Too slow, but he will be a Yankee next year. Right now the young guys can’t hit although I think Volpe will work out. Bauers, McKinney and Calhoun aren’t an answer other than being decent back ups. They either need some of the young guys (Oswaldo and Oswaldo) showing something, or make some smart trades or free agent signings. Rizzo who knows for next year. Trevino and Higgy are almost the same player. Donaldson, needs no words. I have not liked the relief corps that has really deceiving stats. Always in trouble and lots of walks. The big pitcher signings, Rodon and Montas have been horrendous, but maybe Rodon is still in spring training mode and Montas had a few crappy starts before going down. They need so much. But it’s only baseball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom