XRM-that Ollie’s contract situation “was an impact because it’s not a sure thing that he will be bac | The Boneyard

XRM-that Ollie’s contract situation “was an impact because it’s not a sure thing that he will be bac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Uh oh. More facts. Such truthiness is sure to be further upsetting to Squidward. But still, I'm sure we must consider that XRM's doubts--like all the national and local attention on the stupidity of Ollie's contract--likely originated from him reading posts on this board.

And besides, if Ollie was good enough at his job, he should have been able to overcome those doubts.

And if he can't, it's Calhoun's fault.

And if the contract is the issue, it's probably Herbst and the Board of Trustees who required it.

And if they didn't, and it was Manuel's decision, we should be happy with it because it is better to have a strong AD than a correct decision on our head coach.

And if it was the wrong decision, it is Calhoun's fault.

But whatever we do, let's not talk about it.

See, easy.

Reaction Score
he wasn't coming anyway. This was a "it's not you it's me comment, made up after the fact, likely by his managers. No sense ticking Ollie off and if they can help him out, he might help them some time in the future. An 18 year old kid doesn't make decisions based on the coach's contract.

Reaction Score
he wasn't coming anyway. This was a "it's not you it's me comment, made up after the fact, likely by his managers. No sense ticking Ollie off and if they can help him out, he might help them some time in the future. An 18 year old kid doesn't make decisions based on the coach's contract.

Plain and simple, yes they do.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
An 18 year old kid doesn't make decisions based on the coach's contract.

Regardless of whether or not XRM seriously considered UConn or not, this has to qualify as one of the most asinine statements I've read on here in quite some time.

Reaction Score

You lead the league in "smh" worthy responses, how does someone so clueless speak with so much authority on subjects they know absolutely nothing about? It's mind boggling.

Reaction Score
Most coaches these days try to work the scam where they have a permanent five-year deal that just rolls over automatically at the end of each year. That way, they can walk into a recruit's house and say "I have a five-year deal so you know I'll be here your whole career." The by-product is it makes it very hard to buy them out if they're not getting it done.

Somehow Hathaway worked that same scam for his own deal, which indicates we had some serious idiots in high places.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Most coaches these days try to work the scam where they have a permanent five-year deal that just rolls over automatically at the end of each year. That way, they can walk into a recruit's house and say "I have a five-year deal so you know I'll be here your whole career." The by-product is it makes it very hard to buy them out if they're not getting it done.

Somehow Hathaway worked that same scam for his own deal, which indicates we had some serious idiots in high places.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
The squid could say I have a one year deal so I'll be here for your whole career.

Reaction Score

Wow, freescooter, you do understand that if your contract runs out that you do not have the job anymore ? Just wondering if you got that connection.

Reaction Score
This may have been the easy way out to just blame it on the contract instead of telling how he really felt...BUT if i worked in the athletic offices, i would make sure that a copy of that quote somehow makes it way on Manuels desk.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

I've seen my fair share of idiotic freescooter posts, but this one takes the cake.

I've never seen someone so falsely self-entitled yet so misguided.

Reaction Score
Daniels essentially says its a minor annoyance, but you guys want to use it as an excuse. The myth of Ollie as the great recruiter has yet to be proven, so its nice to have a reason to fall back on when the myth proves itself to be untrue. Historically, UConn rarely had a top recruiting class under Calhoun. They often landed less heralded guys and Calhoun coached them up, especially in the front court. Facey and Samuels are classic Calhoun recruits, I think. Ok but not exactly can't miss type players. We'll see what Ollie does with those same kind of players.

Reaction Score
Daniels essentially says its a minor annoyance, but you guys want to use it as an excuse. The myth of Ollie as the great recruiter has yet to be proven, so its nice to have a reason to fall back on when the myth proves itself to be untrue. Historically, UConn rarely had a top recruiting class under Calhoun. They often landed less heralded guys and Calhoun coached them up, especially in the front court. Facey and Samuels are classic Calhoun recruits, I think. Ok but not exactly can't miss type players. We'll see what Ollie does with those same kind of players.

And Daniels also says that Ollie is actually a very good recruiter. But as usual, you pick and choose whatever fits the argument that you want to make.

Reaction Score
But Facey and Samuels are like the Edwards and Austrie on a team that also featured blue-chip recruits (AJ, Dyson, Sticks).

Yes, JC has made a living off of developing unheralded players. But those unheralded players were also complemented by a lot of highly-rated guys who lived up to the hype.

Reaction Score
And Daniels also says that Ollie is actually a very good recruiter. But as usual, you pick and choose whatever fits the argument that you want to make.
And you do exactly the same thing by ignoring the comments that it has limited impact. Human nature I guess.

To be fair though, I never said he wasn't a good recruiter. Just that he hasn't shown it thus far.

caw

Reaction Score

Yes and no. Calhoun built his teams mainly with the first four types of players:
  1. Criminally underrated recruits (Examples: Okafor/Gordon/Allen/Lamb)
  2. Guys with potential who he coached up (Examples: Armstrong/Knight/Thabeet)
  3. Athletes (Examples: Stanley/Dyson/Robertson)
  4. High school All American type (El-Amin/Hamilton, Charlie/Taliek, Walker/Oriakhi, Rudy)
  5. Overseas guys (Dove/Sheffer/Giffey)
He also usually had 1-2 down years while building those players up to FF/NC teams, it was almost like clockwork until Dyson got injured and Kemba exploded. He also had two high school All-American level kids on those NC teams.

I do agree Ollie is more or less untested/unproven as being the head coach recruiting players, he does have a good record as an assistant. To say the contract is some sort of excuse is just being willfully blind to the situation. Ollie has 5 months left on his contract, he is UConn's coach for FIVE more months.

There are about 9 top 100 kids left unsigned, right now. Why would anyone sign with a coach that doesn't have a contract for the year they come in? How is he supposed to convince them he will be there or they will be let out of the LOI if they sign?

Either way, you can't tell if he's a good recruiter until you see the guys he signs step on the floor, maybe not until they are seniors/juniors. Any and all evaluation of Ollie as a recruiter won't be known until next year at the earliest and 2-3 years from now at the latest.

Reaction Score
Yes and no. Calhoun built his teams mainly with the first four types of players:
  4. High school All American type (El-Amin/Hamilton, Charlie/Taliek, Walker/Oriakhi, Rudy)
He also usually had 1-2 down years while building those players up to FF/NC teams, it was almost like clockwork until Dyson got injured and Kemba exploded. He also had two high school All-American level kids on those NC teams.
Fair enough. He was very good at recognizing talent that others missed in particular.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I alway enjoy reading your posts. Thought you'd like to know.

Reaction Score
But Facey and Samuels are like the Edwards and Austrie on a team that also featured blue-chip recruits (AJ, Dyson, Sticks).

Yes, JC has made a living off of developing unheralded players. But those unheralded players were also complemented by a lot of highly-rated guys who lived up to the hype.

I'm pretty sure Gavin's next best D1 offer was Utah St. Meanwhile Facey had offers from UCLA, Memphis, Louisville, St Johns, etc. He has to prove it on the court, but Facey is a higher grade recruit than Edwards.

Reaction Score
Saying “It’s bound to have a little bit of impact (on recruiting)", and it is something he will eventually overcome is not the same thing as saying "its a minor annoyance".

Reaction Score
I can't get past Freescooter's position that these kids don't make a decision based on who the coach is going to be. Of all the absurd things he's said that has to be the craziest.

I think Free legitimately thinks that kids make their college decision based on: (1) the predominant gang affiliation on campus; (2) whether their favorite rapper likes the school; and (3) whether the school's unis match their tattoos.

Reaction Score
You have absolutely no idea whether he was coming or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom