XL Center Update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

XL Center Update

Reaction Score
From what I got from the Yard this year and past, we would rather see the games on campus. So what difference does it make. I love the students going crazy,
I'd like to see all the games at Gampel but if they continue to play in Hartford, they need to fix the Hartford situation. What's it worth to keep the Wolfpack in town? Either renovate XL to accommodate hockey and hoops or build a nice basketball arena. Even Wintrust Arena which only seats 10k cost $173 mill. So renovating XL seems to make the most sense keeping hockey in play, at any level.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Are the bones of the stadium OK? It seems if the stadium structure, site lights, seating, etc are OK then they should be able to do renovations to modernize the rest of the facility. The brown aluminum exterior or whatever that is seems easy enough to replace. But if the inside isn't designed to handle modern amenities, implode the sucker.

A few women's big east tourneys should be enough to help defray the costs.

View attachment 73814

Don't hold your breathe on the women's tourney moving to Hartford. Mohegan Sun is an incredible venue for the women's tourney.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone in the state would support pouring hundreds of millions into renovating XL. Outside of UConn basketball, it hosts a bunch of worthless events. And UConn basketball essentially plays there as a favor.

We'd be much better off spending that money renovating Gampel, who needs a pretty significant overhaul anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It would be great to have a modern arena in Hartford. I’m just not sure if that can effectively be done without knocking down the XL. Don’t get me wrong, we can have a renovated XL, but it will always be out of date given the existing building.

My big fear is that any private money will require UConn being locked in at an above market lease rate. I think UConn really needs to draw a line on the next extension agreement. Any arrangement to play Connecticut basketball games in Hartford has to make financial sense for the University. It makes zero sense for the university to absorb some of the CDRA‘s losses. It makes the athletic department look bad and it is inefficient.

CL82

Reaction Score
True. But if renovating the XL doesn't turn it into an incredible venue itself, then there's no pernt in doing it at all.
Agree, no pernt whatsoever.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breathe on the women's tourney moving to Hartford. Mohegan Sun is an incredible venue for the women's tourney.
True. I've never been there personally. But if renovating the XL doesn't turn it into an incredible venue itself, then there's no pernt in doing it at all. That's the purpose of the renovation.

Reaction Score

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't understand why anyone in the state would support pouring hundreds of millions into renovating XL. Outside of UConn basketball, it hosts a bunch of worthless events. And UConn basketball essentially plays there as a favor.

We'd be much better off spending that money renovating Gampel, who needs a pretty significant overhaul anyway.
More donations and more ticket sales. Nova game proved all that nonsense about a dead arena to be pure poppycock.

I know this much, if they were to play every game at GP, which they won't, I'm gone. My donation and my season ticket purchases, and there's not a chance in hell I'm the only one. At the end of the day, it's much more about money than it is the students. Almost surprised people don't know that, but it's obvious many don't.

I could scalp tickets to a few big games, save a ton of money

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
More donations and more ticket sales. Nova game proved all that nonsense about a dead arena to be pure poppycock.

I know this much, if they were to play every game at GP, which they won't, I'm gone. My donation and my season ticket purchases, and there's not a chance in hell I'm the only one. At the end of the day, it's much more about money than it is the students. Almost surprised people don't know that, but it's obvious many don't.

I could scalp tickets to a few big games, save a ton of money
If this is true, you were never that loyal to the school anyway. Maybe you should just move on regardless?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If this is true, you were never that loyal to the school anyway. Maybe you should just move on regardless?

A fan since 1968, attending games sporadically since 1976 or so, season ticket holder since 89/90, donated well into 6 figures. Attended every BET from 1990 through 2012, one Final Four, four Elite Eights... numerous first and second round games.........

Yeah, you nailed it on me. I'll leave it at that

And I left you my first ever dislike too. So there, take that

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
A fan since 1968, attending games sporadically since 1976 or so, season ticket holder since 89/90, donated well into 6 figures. Attended every BET from 1990 through 2012, one Final Four, four Elite Eights... numerous first and second round games.........

Yeah, you nailed it on me. I'll leave it at that

And I left you my first ever dislike too. So there, take that
Blah blah blah...

You've verbally chosen the XL Center over the Huskies.

Take a long walk off a short pier buddy.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately there’s a better chance of Hartford getting an NFL team then the Whalers ever returning to Hartford.
Sad but true, now if baseball cared about fan attendance which they don’t, they would have the Rays move to Hartford. Dunkin Donuts is an upgrade over the Trop as it is and you would draw way more fans, and put yourself in the middle of the Yanks and Sox rivalry, the Jays being a road trip away. Imagine how packed downtown Hartford would be if the Yanks or Sox were in town.

Reaction Score
It would be great to have a modern arena in Hartford. I’m just not sure if that can effectively be done without knocking down the XL. Don’t get me wrong, we can have a renovated XL, but it will always be out of date given the existing building.

My big fear is that any private money will require UConn being locked in at an above market lease rate. I think UConn really needs to draw a line on the next extension agreement. Any arrangement to play Connecticut basketball games in Hartford has to make financial sense for the University. It makes zero sense for the university to absorb some of the CDRA‘s losses. It makes the athletic department look bad and it is inefficient.
You can't possibly know that a deal between UConn and the XL Center does or doesn't make sense without knowing how much of the state funding of UConn wouldn't be coming if the deal wasn't made. For the Athletic Department to refuse to absorb a few million dollar loss, if that is the case, and cost the university tens of millions in aid is what doesn't make sense.

The University is an arm of the State. It's trustees are appointed by the State and it receives substantial funding from the state. No matter how much some wish that could be separated from athletic decisions, it is not separate.

CL82

Reaction Score
You can't possibly know that a deal between UConn and the XL Center does or doesn't make sense without knowing how much of the state funding of UConn wouldn't be coming if the deal wasn't made. For the Athletic Department to refuse to absorb a few million dollar loss, if that is the case, and cost the university tens of millions in aid is what doesn't make sense.

The University is an arm of the State. It's trustees are appointed by the State and it receives substantial funding from the state. No matter how much some wish that could be separated from athletic decisions, it is not separate.
So BL, given your background, do you think that today, not 35 years ago, if the University of Connecticut said, we are more than happy to play games in Hartford, however, the current terms are so significantly above market rate that we rarely if any make any money from holding games there that the legislature would say OK we’re cutting your aid then? Because that wouldn’t happen in New Jersey, but if it were to happen, the people involved would find themselves in an untenable position in fairly short order.

Serious question.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not sure what an "incredible venue" even means. If we can get it modernized and more fan-friendly it would certainly be worth it.
Yeah, the devil is in the details, right? It seems to me that the XL Center has been kept on life support with a series of slapdash, so not an expensive, short term remedies. So, yeah, if we could get a first class facility for a decent price I’d be all in, but if we can’t if all we can get is another coat of paint and some slightly less stinky fryer grease, it doesn’t seem worth the investment to me.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sad but true, now if baseball cared about fan attendance which they don’t, they would have the Rays move to Hartford. Dunkin Donuts is an upgrade over the Trop as it is and you would draw way more fans, and put yourself in the middle of the Yanks and Sox rivalry, the Jays being a road trip away. Imagine how packed downtown Hartford would be if the Yanks or Sox were in town.
Hartford has no chance for the Rays. If anything, the Rays may wind up in Orlando.

I do agree the Trop is a dump. Been there for games several times.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Go ahead and challenge them. The state wants to cut funding to the university because of what basketball arena it uses? Laughable theory and one that, if tried, would absolutely blow up on them PR wise inside a week.

Reaction Score
Hartford has no chance for the Rays. If anything, the Rays may wind up in Orlando.

I do agree the Trop is a dump. Been there for games several times.
Ya I know its not feasible for Hartford but if it were that would be great for baseball and would draw a lot of new fans.

Reaction Score
I would love the Rays move to Montreal. Great summer weekend road trip to Rue Crescent and a stop at Sir Winston Churchill, the Peel Street Pub on Rue Peel, and maybe a nice dinner at Gibbie’s in Old Montreal.

Reaction Score
So BL, given your background, do you think that today, not 35 years ago, if the University of Connecticut said, we are more than happy to play games in Hartford, however, the current terms are so significantly above market rate that we rarely if any make any money from holding games there that the legislature would say OK we’re cutting your aid then? Because that wouldn’t happen in New Jersey, but if it were to happen, the people involved would find themselves in an untenable position in fairly short order.

Serious question.
If you're asking do I think that the total amount of state aid that UConn gets is tied in to UConn being pliable as to the State's efforts to aid downtown Hartford, yes I do. Is it nearly as direct as "you sign this or we will cut $X from your budget?" No. But I do think OPM lets the University know that it views UConn's support of the XL Center as a "favor" that is in both side's interests.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom