Xavier Postgame Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Presser

Reaction Score
Not sure what to make of this. As someone pointed out on the postgame thread, the scoring by quarter was 20, 16, 14, 10 which is a pretty clear indication of fatigue setting in. Who was it that said “fatigue makes cowards of us all”. Its apparent in the decision making.

Geno did say once “including me”, but if the coaching is bad and the players are bad then the buck does stop with him.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Look, save your silly, juvenile, sophomoric emojis and opinions for someone who cares. I know class when I see it and Auriemma is exhibiting none. And I got the same “master psychological“ nonsense when I called him out after the St. John’s presser and it didn’t change the team one iota. He demands his players act with class maybe he should follow his own advice.
From someone with as little class as you are exhibiting, doesn't mean much.

As for being a fan, that is totally and completely none of your business and certainly not for you to define. I root for them but not through rose colored glasses, ignoring what they are and criticizing them at every chance for what they are not. You whiners ought to try it, you are missing a fantastic, memorable season.
You're posting your crap on this board...I'm a poster on this board...it is my business. And I can certainly define who should be a fan. You on the other hand have NO RIGHT. Because you obviously know nothing about the team.

Seems to me you're the one "whining" about Geno right now.

Again, shut the front door!!!!!

Reaction Score
He shouldn't be.

I don't know if anyone in the program is happy. Or should be.
"Or should be" I think they absolutely should be happy. There are so many reasons. But consider a contrasting example of a team with soooo much lessssss to be happy about and notice the approach they took. Xavier! 0-19 in the Big East coming into last night's game. Coming into Gampel on Senior Night. Knowing they were supposed to be "fed to the lions." And what was their attitude? Positive! I imagine they set some smaller goals that they thought miiiiiiight lead to a victory, but which would give them reason for pride anyway -- play tough defense, execute our offense, don't back down, win the first quarter (lost by 2), win the second quarter (ooops, lost by 10), oh well, let's go for winning quarter 3 (hey, we tied them!), and let's go for the win in quarter 4 (Awesome! Won by 3!)
Maybe Xavier "was sent" to UConn to show them the right attitude?
Xavier left last night 0-20 in the BE, with their heads held high. Pretty good...

Reaction Score
You obviously don't know anything about UCONN basketball and Geno. So please don't call yourself a fan. You're NOT!

How dare you lecture posters who've followed this team for decades and understand Geno. It's NON-fan posters like you who should go find something else to do. Shut the front door.
It is not your role to determine who is or is not a fan. The team is exhausted, their batteries are depleted. They can not maintain peak performance over the course of the entire game. The available bench is not good enough to offer much offensive help. The two best players on the team are unavailable. I have been following the team for 30 years and this is the first time we got worse as the season progressed. I do not believe the same players who were formerly praised by Geno suddenly became selfish., a very bad choice of words.

Reaction Score
One of the commonplace criticisms of Geno (that I haven't shared) is that he gets players that are easy to coach. for me, most of what transpired in this post-game are things that have become ritualistic remarks about the team. I have for a long time worried that his remarks will catch up to the Program and that middle strata of players that are critical to surround the one or two elite players that are coming will go elsewhere.
This team does not have a mid-range game. It does not have 2 or 3 players who can drive, stop and shoot the mid-range jump shot. Lou and Fudd can (CD can change directions and make baskets from top of the box; Aubrey really need to develop a jump shot-- mid-range), but they would be more dangerous making 3s. The top teams all have such a game. I find it interesting that we matched-up better with SC than teams with scrappy mid-ranger players/guards. I don't think we can beat them bec we can't handle their inside game and their rotating guard play. But I'll rather play them and Stanford than Iowa, Maryland, etc,

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"Or should be" I think they absolutely should be happy. There are so many reasons.
Besides winning and getting a BE League Trophy, could you name them???

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It is not your role to determine who is or is not a fan. The team is exhausted, their batteries are depleted. They can not maintain peak performance over the course of the entire game. The available bench is not good enough to offer much offensive help. The two best players on the team are unavailable. I have been following the team for 30 years and this is the first time we got worse as the season progressed. I do not believe the same players who were formerly praised by Geno suddenly became selfish., a very bad choice of words.
One, why would you tell me what my role is? You don't know me, you don't know my role.
Two, not your argument, you should probably stay out of it. Let little man take care of him/her self.
Three, you're a fool if you throw your lot in with little man. A non-fan poster is not what you wanna be.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
One, why would you tell me what my role is? You don't know me, you don't know my role.
Two, not your argument, you should probably stay out of it. Let little man take care of him/her self.
Three, you're a fool if you throw your lot in with little man. A non-fan poster is not what you wanna be.
why don't you take this crap off-board. .. do your feuding in private. no one else is interested.

Reaction Score
I think people are reading way too much into what Geno said in his presser. He knows he made his bed by putting all his eggs in the return of Azzi and not developing the bench the way he could have. The bench plays like the mop up crew when ever they enter the game because that is how they see themselves in the eye of the coach.

With that said the 6 they have could be enough to make a deep run in the tournament. They certainly have the size to compete, they have the shooters to compete, and Geno is still the best coach in the country. The only weak spot on this team is they have a few players who can't defend and that might be the challenge they can't overcome. My money will still be on Geno and the team responding.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
To get through this season, Geno has scaled back practice, pumped the breaks on the offense to slow the games down, and pointed out at every opportunity the toll of excessive minutes. He's also given minutes to end of the bench players who would not be seeing the court in most years. Last night's post-game is a warning order for transition from survival mode to business mode. BTW, for those of you somehow surprised or disappointed at how we looked last night minus Dorka, are you even watching the games?

Reaction Score
Throw them under the bus is the opposite of what he did. The reason top players want to be "coached" by him , is that he will never sugarcoat your deficiencies and weaknesses. He then works with you on those weaknesses, so you improve. If players listen and work they have success and if not , Geno takes no blame.
The issue that he brought up with a limited bench, is if a player is not doing what they are told he can't take them out the game because he has no replacements.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Geno: "It's time we stop blaming the injuries, stop blaming the fatigue, stop blaming the tired. We are who we are."

100%
yes, there should not be any blaming. but the fatigue is clearly a fact (largely a result of the swarm of injuries) ... why not acknowledge it?

don't use it as an excuse, but it exists and is (i think) a very significant factor in uconn's woes. it's something that's there, not an excuse.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
why don't you take this crap off-board. .. do your feuding in private. no one else is interested.
Tell them to take it off line.

And it's not really a feud. I'm standing up for true UCONN fans. Like yourself. You should be thanking me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the rest of my post explained that.
The rest of your post just talked about Xavier and how Xavier should be happy. You said "so many reasons" for UCONN to be happy, I was just wondering what they were. I'll give you winning game, winning BE title, even season being over, but those were pretty much given going in. What else did they have to be happy about last night's game???

Reaction Score
Display of "negative" by coaches, players, fans (?)... as though a particular team "deserved" anything has historically been frowned upon at UConn. "Negative" towards each other, "negative" towards refs, "negative" towards opponents... all detract from a "winning, positive attitude." Frankness with a hopeful attitude works. Also, the distinction between private and public expressions of frankness comes into it.

Reaction Score
The rest of your post just talked about Xavier and how Xavier should be happy. You said "so many reasons" for UCONN to be happy, I was just wondering what they were. I'll give you winning game, winning BE title, even season being over, but those were pretty much given going in. What else did they have to be happy about last night's game???
Substitute "UConn" for "Xavier" in the following:

Xavier! 0-19 in the Big East coming into last night's game. Coming into Gampel on Senior Night. Knowing they were supposed to be "fed to the lions." And what was their attitude? Positive! I imagine they set some smaller goals that they thought miiiiiiight lead to a victory, but which would give them reason for pride anyway -- play tough defense, execute our offense, don't back down, win the first quarter (lost by 2), win the second quarter (ooops, lost by 10), oh well, let's go for winning quarter 3 (hey, we tied them!), and let's go for the win in quarter 4 (Awesome! Won by 3!)
Xavier left last night 0-20 in the BE, with their heads held high. Pretty good...

UConn... not 0-29... not "fed to the lions"... likelihood of winning... likelihood of winning any given quarter... opportunity to play tough defense (and ability to)... opportunity to execute offense (and ability to)... opportunity to "not back down"... UConn has measurable advantages for which they should (I think) have a "happy" attitude... UConn did not end the evening 0-20... So "happy" yup...

The idea of using Xavier as an example of the "happy" attitude UConn can have is called an a fortiori argument. If Xavier... then how much more UConn...

"... given going in" is the problematic...

Reaction Score
Strong practices have been a foundation of Uconn wcbb from day one. Players have often cited the fact that the games are much easier than the practices. Geno has always said that playing time is earned in practices. Practices have been where the problems have been focused on and resolved by repetition of their corrections.

Understandably, the starters have played a lot of minutes and physical fatigue can be and probably is an issue but I think the real fatigue issue is more mental. Geno touched on this when he said they can run up and down the floor pretty well at the end of the games so that isn't really the issue. Nika hit the nail on the head when she said in a presser that they need to return to the intense practices that have been the signature of the program. This is from the kid who has played the most minutes on the team! She still can put on the after burner and find another gear at the end of most games. I think her teammates can as well. The fatigue and resultant drop-off in many games quarter to quarter is from mental frustration that things just aren't working and it becomes cumulative.

I would be surprised if this group is unwilling to practice hard if given the opportunity. Maybe the schedule (away, travel, home, etc.) has restricted the ability to do so. But, by his own admission it has been a coaches choice to dial practices back. From a recent presser, it has also been a choice to slow down the offense some. All this as an effort to lessen the fatigue on the short rotation of players.

I would argue that this is actually a part of the problem. Geno has said, Nika its the identity of this team. Well her identity has nothing resembling a grind it out half court game. Quite to the contrary it is a fast moving high energy game. That is what has worked when this team played its best ball this season. When Azzi was healthy in November that was the way we played, when she was out mid-December through the end of January for the most part we did as well.

Geno spoke of the team being 'selfish'. Well these are the same group of kids that he has collectively and individually lauded repeatedly throughout two-thirds of the season. I don't buy that they are all about their individual stats and 'reduced t-shirt sales'. They are more likely making a lot of questionable choices in an effort to do more than they perhaps should, or even can, to find their way back when things aren't flowing well - in an effort to help their team win. As Geno has often cited repetition ( i.e., reinforcement over and over in practice) makes choices, movements automatic. Being told in a timeout or sideline run by to do this, without the ingrained reinforcement of how or why it works, IMO isn't a great approach. I don't really think Geno wants a group that simply follow orders to a tee. As always he wants a group that 'knows' what the right choices/adjustments are.

His point guard, in essence has told him ' we are off track, we need to practice like Uconn wcbb and then we will do it in games'. There is a few days break until the BE tournament and then again before the Dance. I hope, rather than rest up, they, coaches and players, go to work and put in the work to right themselves. This team has shown they can do it the right way, regardless of who can play on a given night. They have no quit in them and all will fight to accomplish they're remaining two goals. They just need to find their way back to their identity of the first two thirds of the season. I don't think any of them want to rest at this point they want to go back to work!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Substitute "UConn" for "Xavier" in the following:

Xavier! 0-19 in the Big East coming into last night's game. Coming into Gampel on Senior Night. Knowing they were supposed to be "fed to the lions." And what was their attitude? Positive! I imagine they set some smaller goals that they thought miiiiiiight lead to a victory, but which would give them reason for pride anyway -- play tough defense, execute our offense, don't back down, win the first quarter (lost by 2), win the second quarter (ooops, lost by 10), oh well, let's go for winning quarter 3 (hey, we tied them!), and let's go for the win in quarter 4 (Awesome! Won by 3!)

UConn... not 0-29... not "fed to the lions"... likelihood of winning... likelihood of winning any given quarter... opportunity to play tough defense (and ability to)... opportunity to execute offense (and ability to)... opportunity to "not back down"... UConn has measurable advantages for which they should (I think) have a "happy" attitude... UConn did not end the evening 0-20... So "happy" yup...

The idea of using Xavier as an example of the "happy" attitude UConn can have is called an a fortiori argument. If Xavier... then how much more UConn...
If I was UCONN and got compared to Xavier....I wouldn't be too happy. I'm 1-18, I'm not as terrible as Xavier is supposed to make me happy? That's a pretty low bar for UCONN. I guess I just assume they expect more of themselves. I guess you don't.

And again, not talking about the season, talking about the performance in last nights game. That's why Geno was unhappy, and I assume the players also. And with good reason to not be happy.

And you really haven't come up with any reasons they should be happy.

Reaction Score
Agree, drop blaming fatigue, injuries and being tired. Not so much with, 'we are who we are' if that is in any way an assessment suggesting we aren't who we showed we were the first two thirds of the season, that that was pretenders and this is who we are.

The identity and ceiling of this team is that of the one that played the first two thirds of the season. They just need to find their way back. Believe me the talent, grit and desire are there. They don't intend to finish this season being less than. As I suggested above Nika has given the prescription and I have no doubt her teammates are all willing to take the treatment!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom