Xavier Postgame Presser | The Boneyard

Xavier Postgame Presser

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying hearing Geno talk. I think he is very frank about the team's and the coach staff's failures this season.

One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that most of these players are players who never came in with the expectation that they would be starters every game and be expected to perform at such a high level, for so many minutes, day in and day out. I think there's some truth to that. It definitely adds pressure to a player because they have been thrust into the spotlight into a role they were not expecting. At times they have thrived, at other times they have struggled. Do I think their play would be more consistent if all the players could play and they could play in the roles they were originally "meant" to be in? I think yes. We would be the #1 team in the country and favored to win it all.

This isn't me taking shots at anyone or making excuses. Imagine how much better even Lou (for example) would be doing if she could be on the floor, well-rested, alongside Paige and Azzi and Ice. She's already played GREAT this season and arguably performed above expectations, but just imagine ...

While obviously I really want everyone to always rise to the occasion and perform to the best of their ability in every single game, these are still student athletes. Teenagers. I played D3 and I was reasonably okay at my position, but I didn't play perfectly all the time. Sometimes emotionally and/or mentally we can be affected and not even realize it. To see how well these players have played despite everything is still something to be proud of as a fan.

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying hearing Geno talk. I think he is very frank about the team's and the coach staff's failures this season.

One thing I thought was interesting was that he said that most of these players are players who never came in with the expectation that they would be starters every game and be expected to perform at such a high level, for so many minutes, day in and day out. I think there's some truth to that. It definitely adds pressure to a player because they have been thrust into the spotlight into a role they were not expecting. At times they have thrived, at other times they have struggled. Do I think their play would be more consistent if all the players could play and they could play in the roles they were originally "meant" to be in? I think yes. We would be the #1 team in the country and favored to win it all.

This isn't me taking shots at anyone or making excuses. Imagine how much better even Lou (for example) would be doing if she could be on the floor, well-rested, alongside Paige and Azzi and Ice. She's already played GREAT this season and arguably performed above expectations, but just imagine ...

While obviously I really want everyone to always rise to the occasion and perform to the best of their ability in every single game, these are still student athletes. Teenagers. I played D3 and I was reasonably okay at my position, but I didn't play perfectly all the time. Sometimes emotionally and/or mentally we can be affected and not even realize it. To see how well these players have played despite everything is still something to be proud of as a fan.
Agreed, Maple.

I'm exhausted from listening to Geno's presser. I had no objection to anything he said, and he frankly spoke about a ton of angles about his team.

My biggest take is something that none of us wants to think about. He sounds like a man who thinks more and more about leaving this behind while he has his sanity and good health.

Here's hoping, no matter the outcome of the Big East and NCAA tournaments, he finishes the season with a more positive outlook.

Reaction Score
What a brutally honest assessment by Geno. Much of what many here on this board have been saying, the "injury and fatigue excuse has sailed", and there are just too many inexcusable mistakes. Everyone has played their part, including the coaches, in the present situation. Now given all that, the team has just locked up another Big East regular season title, however, not in the fashion that we are accustomed to. Bottom line, if things don't change quick, this could very well be the shortest March in decades! I hope not.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What a brutally honest assessment by Geno. Much of what many here on this board have been saying, the "injury and fatigue excuse has sailed", and there are just too many inexcusable mistakes. Everyone has played their part, including the coaches, in the present situation. Now given all that, the team has just locked up another Big East regular season title, however, not in the fashion that we are accustomed to. Bottom line, if things don't change quick, this could very well be the shortest March in decades! I hope not.
The injuries are the reason this team is not a threat to reach the Final Four and win a championship. The injuries and fatigue do not explain why this team has looked so bad against much less talented Big East teams.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I found this conference bizarre, strange, almost irrational.

He was asked, but oh so gently, to explain the discrepancy for what he had proclaimed in November with what he was saying now.

Earlier in the season, he raved about how this team listened, how well they took coaching, how attentive they were to detail.

Fast forward and now its the opposite...they're selfish, not following his coaching, doing their own thing...
Think of it...he didn't really have one good thing to say about anyone...except when prodded about Nina's record.

These are the same kids
How did they get from there to here...who is responsible?

Remember that he had to take a furlough and seemingly was not himself when he returned...and that CD had slightly different ideas about how the team best functioned; which seemed to work at the time.

Yes, Geno spoke about the coaches failures...that they were not good enough...but it was pro forma...

For the first time in my memory, he through the entire team under the bus...

Danny Kaye: "It's not my fault mommy, it was Alvin's fault." (one of my favorite, oft repeated lines).

I'm not sure that anyone has the wherewithal to correct what has obviously gone wrong this season.

What we saw today was a very shaken man, who has no idea how to retrieve the magic with which this group started (that he accomplished) and his analysis is incomplete of what has transpired of late..And that was extraordinarily sad.

The video of this conference will be required viewing in coaching seminars and clinics for a very long time.

Have I a theory of what happened...why this happened?
His absence and his return at less than full strength...and not picking up on CD's approach and modifications...

And now...he's looking good, strong...he's ready...but the team has been doing it on their own wits for weeks and it's going to be hard, perhaps impossible to coral them back.

Reaction Score

He was asked, but oh so gently, to explain the discrepancy for what he had proclaimed in November with what he was saying now.

Earlier in the season, he raved about how this team listened, how well they took coaching, how attentive they were to detail.

Fast forward and now its the opposite...they're selfish, not following his coaching, doing their own thing...
Think of it...he didn't really have one good thing to say about anyone...except when prodded about Nina's record.

These are the same kids

Remember that he had to take a furlough and seemingly was not himself when he returned...and that CD had slightly different ideas about how the team best functioned; which seemed to work at the time.

Yes, Geno spoke about the coaches failures...that they were not good enough...but it was pro forma...

Danny Kaye: "It's not my fault mommy, it was Alvin's fault." (one of my favorite, oft repeated lines).

I'm not sure that anyone has the wherewithal to correct what has obviously gone wrong this season.

What we saw today was a very shaken man, who has no idea how to retrieve the magic with which this group started (that he accomplished) and his analysis is incomplete of what has transpired of late..And that was extraordinarily sad.

The video of this conference will be required viewing in coaching seminars and clinics for a very long time.

His absence and his return at less than full strength...and not picking up on CD's approach and modifications...

And now...he's looking good, strong...he's ready...but the team has been doing it on their own wits for weeks and it's going to be hard, perhaps impossible to coral them back.
He made the same comments about them in early February, about how coachable and well they listened. I think this presser was a statement presser to the team. A good sign to me.

JBK

Reaction Score

These are the same kids

And now...he's looking good, strong...he's ready...but the team has been doing it on their own wits for weeks and it's going to be hard, perhaps impossible to coral them
The injuries are the reason this team is not a threat to reach the Final Four and win a championship. The injuries and fatigue do not explain why this team has looked so bad against much less talented Big East teams.
Agree. The league has figured out our starting 5 the second time around this year.
Slow the tempo. UConn cannot press you like the past, because they have no bench.
AG lost her 3 point confidence, put your best defender on Lou, let Nika shoot and clog the middle and do not let AE or AG drive.
We did not make adjustments and ran the same offense. The good news is Geno knows 60 points will not get us far in the tourneys and he has a week to figure it out -
I think Azzi can be the game changer we need right now. and yes. I know it may take her a few games to get her stride.
It is a great team to follow and I cannot believe how many followers they have

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I distinctly recall another postgame press conference (after a needlessly close win in the AAC) when Geno adopted the same tone. I think it might have been a a game against Tulsa. He decided to let the freshmen on the team (that was the Walker / Coombs / Gordon class -- AEH had already departed) play major minutes in the second quarter, and he couldn't believe how badly they performed. He said that they showed no evidence whatsoever of having been coached for six months. As we now know, Coombs and Gordon were soon to depart, and Megan only stayed for three years.

Although he didn't quite say it, I think his major complaint in tonight's press conference was largely about the less experienced players: Amari, Ayanna, and possibly Ines. I was at the game, and there was a play in the second half where Caroline got an and-1 on a feed from Ayanna. I thought it looked like a good play, but Geno wasn't at all pleased by what Ayanna did on that play. As the free throw was being taken, he called Ayanna over and chewed her out. Soon after that, he pulled her from the game, and she didn't return (to my surprise).

His reference to giving up the same layup three times was directed to Amari, or so I would guess. She did give up two very similar layups within a minute of playing time. After one of them, I could see Nika yelling at her. That may be what Geno was referencing when he said, "Nika does her best, but ...". I think he meant that she does her best to be a coach on the floor, but sometimes the bench players don't listen, as in this case.

So, when he says that the injury/fatigue excuse has sailed, I think what he means is that by this point in the season, the bench should have developed to the point that he can use them in high-leverage situations -- but based on tonight's performance, that hasn't happened. My problem with that is that he did (out of necessity) use Ines in high-leverage situations early in the season, and she did well. I don't really understand why she isn't getting more minutes in relief of Nika, but it may be that she isn't much better about doing what she is being coached to do than Ayanna and Amari were. (I never understood why Molly Bent didn't get more minutes either; like Ines, I thought she performed creditably when she was given a chance.)

For what it's worth, if I'm right about the year, it was 2016-17. UConn won the AAC regular season and the conference tournament and got to the Final Four, only to meet Mississippi State. But the team did that with hardly any bench players that were usable in high-leverage situations. I don't recall injuries being a significant problem that year, however.

Reaction Score
He's not wrong about the players making the same mistakes again and again. In year's past he had the luxury of being able to bench players that refused to do what he told them. You knew exactly who and what he was talking about when he pointed out specific examples like when he mentioned "one of our big kids that likes to throw passes into the locker room."

Reaction Score
Nika had previously mentioned that what the players really need is to get back to the REGULAR UCONN practices not the short version because of injuries!
They need Geno and staff on their butts every second like it used to be! Now it's handled with kid-gloves, afraid who's next to go down!
Where they were trained to a razors edge now everything is "gentler"!
This why UCONN always had an edge over their opponents, because no-one practiced/worked as hard as UCONN worked!
More WAS required then what is now required!
Hopefully in the days leading up to the Big East Tournament they can revise the "old UCONN" way of doing things!
Or it could be a lost season!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Texas lost a game to Baylor tonight and the Texas coach and one of the team's best players called out the effort of other members of the team. To some it's throwing players and teammates under the bus and to others it's holding players and teammates accountable. Sounds like Vic was pretty miserable too.

Honestly, after watching tonight's game, I'd rather Geno be miserable. What's the alternative?

Reaction Score
I really think that if Geno feels that strongly about how today's players are, not really coachable, etc... he should seriously think about retiring because he looks miserable up there.
This is not just you. I hear it all the time. Total misunderstanding of Geno. And the players. IMO.

He loves coaching. He loves & respects these players. He admires their courage, what they have given and what they have had to overcome.

It's the environment that's different. The competition for his players' ears/attention/discipline/dedication is intense, diffuse & varied; fragmented. Geno isn't anywhere near the main conduit to his player' psyches he once was. His and his staff's coaching, in itself, is not the powerful tool it once was.

When he has lots of other tools, the tool set is still extensive enough for him to work with: say a bench, say multiple scoring threats, say extended intense & focused practices. But now he has a very limited tool set and it's frustrating beyond anyone's tolerance. So tonight he talked about the players' coachability and the good old days. Other nights he talks about the injuries, the lack of scorers. It's all the same frustration and the details shouldn't be taken too literally or seriously.

Of course he still has quite a bit of his players' attention, even if not quite what it once was, And tonight's "they're not good enough for the final four" and "maybe they'll fool me" was also a little sneaking out of the old-style Geno pushing buttons.

Reaction Score
It’s not throwing people under the bus when you fairly point out obvious failings. Geno took accountability for his own failings and also pointed out the failings of his players. That’s what a head coach does.

Everyone in the nation can see that this UConn is not the UConn of years past. Everyone knows the issues go beyond simply injuries and fatigue. All of the things Geno pointed out tonight are things that we fans (and other outlets) have already pointed out.

This season has been a group effort in dropping the ball. I disagree that Geno needs to take a page out of CD’s coaching book because the team was doing well before and after he came back from a break. CD is obviously a good coach in her own right but TBH the team was doing pretty well when she had to step in for a bit — the players just mostly kept that momentum going. It wasn’t like the bench was playing lights out when CD was rotating them in, it was more that UConn was getting off to better starts. And need I state that even with CD UConn was struggling at points during games.

I reiterate my original post that many players are playing beyond their “role” and it is not easy and it took a toll on them over time. And the more you struggle, the more you become scared of losing — and the more you start forcing. Which leads to so many lapses in judgement, which leads to further struggling, etc.

Geno needs to find a way to remind this team that they are capable of performing at lofty heights BUT they can’t just step into the arena and win. They need to buckle down, show up, and play like they know they are capable of.

Reaction Score
On a night when the team took a well earned proud and happy picture with a championship trophy after a very, very tough and challenging regular season and after winning the game with yet another very key player not available; their esteemed coach chose to throw them under the bus for the 2nd time in a week. Chose to publicly declare them “selfish“ and uncoachable merely a few weeks after explaining he was all right with dialing back practices because he trusted them. I said what he said was classless after the St. John’s presser and double down on that tonight. And IMO that goes for all the spoiled fans who chose the same route. He and you don’t deserve this team.

Reaction Score
For me also it's a coach taking accountability. He made it clear that weaker coaching is part of the problem.

These guys may well win the Big East tournament, but they're not getting out of weak two of the big dance if some these problems don't get addressed and fixed. Geno made that clear to them last night, and invited them to take accountability too. I think it needed to said, and I feel he did it in a pretty constructive a way. Let's see how the team responds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed, Maple.

I'm exhausted from listening to Geno's presser. I had no objection to anything he said, and he frankly spoke about a ton of angles about his team.

My biggest take is something that none of us wants to think about. He sounds like a man who thinks more and more about leaving this behind while he has his sanity and good health.

Here's hoping, no matter the outcome of the Big East and NCAA tournaments, he finishes the season with a more positive outlook.
I agree with your assessment concerning Geno's perspective about the future. Many were surprised when Jay Wright retired at Villanova on the men's side. This season has seemingly drained the joy of coaching from Geno.

Ideally, the team will find a way to regroup and recapture the level of play from earlier in the season.

My hope is that after the season ends, Geno will take time to distance emotionally from the past season and focus on the upcoming season when his vision can be better executed with a healthy Paige and Azzi. As much as complains and jokes about Paige, it is evident how much he misses her on the court. And clearly, the team does too.

I believe he feels he has another potential NC next season and if it is fulfilled, it would be the ideal time for him to ride off into the sunset.

Reaction Score
I think Geno knows that injuries, fatigue and just being banged up are very real factors. But he doesn't want those real factors to be an excuse for bad mental decisions or not following his plays or gameplan. Forgetting what they work on in practice, going their own way, losing focus etc. is happening way more than he thought it would, and the known issues unique to this season cannot rationalize away the bad decision making.

I also wonder if the injury produced starting five during this stretch has become easy to gameplan against. Initially I was very pleased with how they played under the circumstances, but I think teams have figured out how the play against this lineup. Even though we didn't have great perimeter shooting, we were scoring, Nika was getting her assists, Aubrey was scoring in transition and slashing to the hoop, Lou was Lou and we were getting the ball inside some too.

Then it seems like if you get back and take away the fastbreaks, you greatly reduce Nika's ability to create offense. If you pack in the defense you can limit Aaliyah and Dorka. Nika taking 3's is something the defense can live with, and defenses can encourage Aubrey to shoot from there, so all the perimeter attention and best defenders can just focus on Lou, and by the way be real physical with her. I think that gameplan is successful against us and now everybody uses it.

If we were deep we could make alterations, get more shooters out there etc., but we don't have that luxury at least until Caroline resembles last year's version, or Azzi comes back. I fear we have become much easier to gameplan against but regardless Geno knows fatigue etc. matters, but this starting group has little margin for error and can't keep making as many mistakes as they do. I think the other factors are what fate handed us, but cutting down on the mistakes is one variable he still hopes to have some control over. At least that is the way I see it.

Reaction Score
Geno: "It's time we stop blaming the injuries, stop blaming the fatigue, stop blaming the tired. We are who we are."

100%

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On a night when the team took a well earned proud and happy picture with a championship trophy after a very, very tough and challenging regular season and after winning the game with yet another very key player not available; their esteemed coach chose to throw them under the bus for the 2nd time in a week. Chose to publicly declare them “selfish“ and uncoachable merely a few weeks after explaining he was all right with dialing back practices because he trusted them. I said what he said was classless after the St. John’s presser and double down on that tonight. And IMO that goes for all the spoiled fans who chose the same route. He and you don’t deserve this team.
You obviously don't know anything about UCONN basketball and Geno. So please don't call yourself a fan. You're NOT!

How dare you lecture posters who've followed this team for decades and understand Geno. It's NON-fan posters like you who should go find something else to do. Shut the front door.

Reaction Score
You obviously don't know anything about UCONN basketball and Geno. So please don't call yourself a fan. You're NOT!

How dare you lecture posters who've followed this team for decades and understand Geno. It's NON-fan posters like you who should go find something else to do. Shut the front door.
Look, save your silly, juvenile, sophomoric emojis and opinions for someone who cares. I know class when I see it and Auriemma is exhibiting none. And I got the same “master psychological“ nonsense when I called him out after the St. John’s presser and it didn’t change the team one iota. He demands his players act with class maybe he should follow his own advice.
As for being a fan, that is totally and completely none of your business and certainly not for you to define. I root for them but not through rose colored glasses, ignoring what they are and criticizing them at every chance for what they are not. You whiners ought to try it, you are missing a fantastic, memorable season.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom