Xavier Post-game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Xavier game
  • The start of the game reminded me of that old Bear Bryant line. Every now and then your team is going to come out flat. Hopefully, that’s the day you’re playing Vanderbilt…….or in UConn’s case, Xavier. :rolleyes:
  • Great to see Liv & Caroline back in the lineup. I sure hope UConn can figure out how to deal with prosperity. The Huskies played an ASTOUNDING TOTAL OF 8 PLAYERS in the first 5 minutes of the game. :eek:
  • UConn was a little sloppy at the start of the game until Evina entered the game and did an excellent job of settling everyone down. Evina's leadership on this team should never be underestimated.
  • Longtime BY'ers are going to have to test their memory banks on this one. Has UConn ever gone on a scoring run longer, or even close to the 37-0 run they laid on the Musketeers tonight through the 2nd & 3rd qtrs? :oops:
  • Congratulations to Christyn who passed both Kia and Shea tonight on the all-time scoring list.
  • Love to see a UConn game when everyone on the roster also gets on the scoresheet.
  • Who's going to start a thread arguing for Piath to start ? (11 pts & 4 rbs in 7 minutes) :)
  • Just waiting on the return of ONE MORE PLAYER!!! :cool:
I won't be the one to start your Gabriel, DeBerry starting thread. I'm pleased with their long minutes of play, and good play during that time. Are they ready for U S Carolina? More minutes like today--experience only come with time and playing time.

Reaction Score
1FAB43B5-8D58-4576-8398-9F2895EF1705.jpeg
This was an excellent team win. Everyone who played contributed significantly to the victory. Good team balance. Team shot 63% overall including 47.6 % from 3 pt line. 26 assists on 34 made shots. 5 players in double figures scoring including Gabriel. Caroline (11 pts, 4 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl) and Olivia (8 pts, 4 reb, 4 ast, 1 blk) did well in their return to team play. Christyn led in scoring (13 pts) and steals (4). She also had 5 assists as did Evina. Aaliyah had the most rebounds (7) while Dorka led in blocks (3). UConn is getting stronger and better with each returning player and now has more viable options.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just think about the number of assists that Paige can possibly get with these teammates on the floor. She should be a double double machine.
What I want to see is Paige dribbling around a Liv high screen with CD in the strong side corner, Azzi on the weak side, and Liv rolling to the hoop. Stop that spit someone.

JordyG

Reaction Score
That's the second one in the last few games. I'm wondering if Azzi's rubbing off on her?
Yeah. In the chat I noted that the two she's hit this year are the only two she's hit since she's been at UConn.

Reaction Score
I'll read all the posts tomorrow so it might have been mentioned; all the 4th Q points were scored by bigs - ONO 5, Paith 11, and DeBerry 5. Odd but glad that our frosh got a chance to shine.

Other than that a nice low stress game to watch. Everyone got involved in a good way despite a slow start.

And as a last thought: watching the game via Roku, and as with the last game, it started out with constant interruptions for "loading", which is super annoying. Such a 1999 problem. At any rate with 4:25 left in the 1st Q two things occurred simultaneously. I knocked my remotes off the couch onto a tile floor (clatter, clatter) and the sound went off. I couldn't think of any reason why that would happen but hit a few remote buttons (maybe it muted for instance), but no luck. So I just backed out of the game to the Roku menu and then back to Fox Sports and the game. And this time I was directed to go.foxsports.com to enter a password, which I didn't have to do when I first went to the game. All the while the game is going on without me. So, when I went back to the game there was no resume option and it just started from the beginning and of course no fast forward option. I got to see a good part of the 1st Q twice, which wasn't the best part of the game to see twice as it turns out. On the positive side, no "loading" issues from start to finish. All's well that ends well.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Did Nika and one of the Xavier players have words in the last seconds of the game? Looks like a few players stepped between them.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Xavier game
  • The start of the game reminded me of that old Bear Bryant line. Every now and then your team is going to come out flat. Hopefully, that’s the day you’re playing Vanderbilt…….or in UConn’s case, Xavier. :rolleyes:
  • Great to see Liv & Caroline back in the lineup. I sure hope UConn can figure out how to deal with prosperity. The Huskies played an ASTOUNDING TOTAL OF 8 PLAYERS in the first 5 minutes of the game. :eek:
  • UConn was a little sloppy at the start of the game until Evina entered the game and did an excellent job of settling everyone down. Evina's leadership on this team should never be underestimated.
  • Longtime BY'ers are going to have to test their memory banks on this one. Has UConn ever gone on a scoring run longer, or even close to the 37-0 run they laid on the Musketeers tonight through the 2nd & 3rd qtrs? :oops:
  • Congratulations to Christyn who passed both Kia and Shea tonight on the all-time scoring list.
  • Love to see a UConn game when everyone on the roster also gets on the scoresheet.
  • Who's going to start a thread arguing for Piath to start ? (11 pts & 4 rbs in 7 minutes) :)
  • Just waiting on the return of ONE MORE PLAYER!!! :cool:
Answer: UCONN at SMU
02-24-2018

In their last regular-season road game, UConn played Southern Methodist University. The Mustangs outscored the Huskies in the fourth quarter, and most of the first quarter. UConn did not take the first lead until just over a minute remained in the first quarter. However, following the first media timeout at which SMU led 12–6, the Huskies scored 43 consecutive points.

Reaction Score
That was the first "horror" movie I was allowed to see. The movie version is far more intimidating and that is saying something because the bar is very low with that movie but that mascot is pathetic. They are the Musketeers, not the Mouseketeers.
Who's the leader of our club? ....M.I.C.K.E.Y...MOUSE... Who didn't have a crush on Annette?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Did Nika and one of the Xavier players have words in the last seconds of the game? Looks like a few players stepped between them.
Looks like Beeler said something to Nika as she walked past her. Nika said something back, walked close to the ref, the ref may have said few words to both of them, and that was that. This may have been part of an ongoing conversation the two had been having throughout the game. Remember, Held took umbrage with Nika's shoulder bump at the end of the DePaul game and Evina tossed that away. Nika's just gets under some players skins. Like another UConn player we remember.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Looks like Beeler said something to Nika as she walked past her. Nika said something back, walked close to the ref, the ref may have said few words to both of them, and that was that. This may have been part of an ongoing conversation the two had been having throughout the game. Remember, Held took umbrage with Nika's shoulder bump at the end of the DePaul game and Evina tossed that away. Nika's just gets under some players skins. Like another UConn player we remember.
Xavier was kind of chippy. Remember getting a foul called on her after she was fouled no call. Same early in the game to Nika she was hit then got called when when went back at the Xavier kid.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Although I enjoyed so much of what happened, I think I'm going to chill the accolades for a bit. It was a great practice game for a team trying to integrate a lot of moving parts. We played a poor team in disarray after losing their 2 top scorers.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
I thought Caroline's production was very good. In only 14 minutes of play: 11 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals. Geno also said after the game and in the presser that having Caroline on one side and Fudd on the other side of the court on offense is going to be really tough to defend. The sound of a sweet future.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought Caroline's production was very good. In only 14 minutes of play: 11 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals. Geno also said after the game and in the presser that having Caroline on one side and Fudd on the other side of the court on offense is going to be really tough to defend. The sound of a sweet future.
The most important thing to come from this game was the way Caroline played. Head injuries are worrisome. She looked really good for someone who hasn't played in 2 weeks. She's a weapon on offense and her length on defense is really helpful.

Reaction Score
Other than Christyn, no one played more than 29 minutes. That meant that our legs were fresh and we could sustain greater defensive intensity throughout the game. It is great to have 8 core players available, ALL of whom have started at least some games this season.

Reaction Score
On most teams with this much depth & talent, we would worry that one ball wouldn't be enough to keep the players happy. But this team is loaded with unselfish players who enjoy piling up assists as much as taking shots. There might be a problem with being a bit too unselfish, but I believe this team will create a successful balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom