Xavier Post-game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Xavier Post-game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Good points. I think Liv may have been a bit "uneasy" about re-injuring herself. She was testing her body's reaction to real stress. Hopefully, your observation was correct and that she is fully healed. Caroline did look ready for 40 minutes. And notably both Dorka and Edwards are playing much more aggressive and productive ball. And lingering in the back-ground might be some "talent" in the form of DeBerry and Gabriel. Who is this Paige person showing up at practice now?
Liv ran into an illegal screen on the baseline that looked like she was taking a knee to the midsection. Made me wince from 1,500 miles.

Reaction Score
Agreed. It's really not fair to compare other post players with Aliyah Boston (South Carolina) She became a starter on day 1. She was plug and play. Note below the numerous conference and national awards she won as a freshman. IMHO, Boston is "by far" the best post player in the country even though on the team's official roster, she's listed as a forward. That said, she does all of her business (damage) in the paint! ;)

View attachment 73490
Agreed, Boston is not the common post. However, would you anytime soon (if you were coach, pit either of the new 6'5 posts now on Uconn's end of bench in to defend Boston or any one close to her abilities? That was the premise and of course, they will be more effective with experience. I've said this a few times: Games and abilities are learned in Practice. Playing the game thereafter is learned IN GAMES.

Reaction Score
lots of great recaps in this post. Here are some of my quick thoughts.

CD - Welcome back! I can't say enough how much I like to watch her play. Her fearlessness, her passing, the contrast between how amped she gets on the bench, vs how cold blooded she is when she makes a great play. I like the way she was rebounding, and the full court passes to EW and CW were great. I think over the next month, she will be in that 4 spot a bit, and it will be important for her to help out on the glass. In any event, I'm glad she looked well.

EW- I just have to say I love sixth-woman E. When she comes off the bench, she seems to always make the right plays. 7, 5, and 5 doesn't do justice on how much she impacted the game. I know her draft stock may not be where it was at the end of last season, but a WNBA team will be lucky to have her on her roster. She's just not a big scorer, but she really does do everything well.

CW- I love seeing CW aggressive. As great as our 3 young studs are, she just brings something a little bit different. Like her explosiveness, ability to stop and start, and get out and transition. She's closing out the season well on both ends of the court. She had a monster block and a great steal in this game.

Dorka -I mentioned in the game chat early on that she got a bit feisty and I love it! I feel like ONO is rubbing off on her cuz she's been great blocking shots recently, and talking a bit of trash while doing it! I thought she gave solid minutes. Another 4 assist game by her, I bet Geno didn't know how good of a passer she is.

AE- When the team started off a bit slow, she was the one who kind of got them going. She was great on the glass, grabbing offensive rebounds, and scoring inside. I noted this a couple games ago, but her and Dorka seem to have great chemistry. Anyways, AE is playing well right now. I know there is going to be a minutes crunch but she will get hers. She just needs to stay out of foul trouble.

ONO- It was great to see Liv back as well. She played a really solid game. I sometimes overlook her playmaking, but she had 4 assist last night. As others mentioned, she had a really nice post move that I hope she can go to consistently. All in all, I was just glad that she was moving around well and seemed like herself.

Azzi Fudd- Everyone has kinda noted it but there's just a bit of a difference when she's on the floor, no? And it's... I'm trying to find the right word without thesaurus.com, im just going to go with impressive to watch her shoot. Impressive is a bit of an understatement, but it's just that I know her release is quick, but most games I'm blown away at how quick. Like CD kicked it to her in the corner in the first half, and I actually thought CD was more open, but Azzi just drained it. Similarly I think it was in the 3rd, CW kicked it to her in semi transition, and there was kind of a defender there, but Azzi just drained it. And I think that's why Geno is always imploring her to just shoot, cuz open to her is not open to most people. In the summer during team USA she wasn't really consistently scoring, but she was making solid plays. Now when u see the scoring and the solid plays together, she really sticks out. Lastly, she missed a step back three, that almost made me fall out of my seat. Her footwork was great, and it was on target, just a bit long. I guess it's pointing out the obvious, but she's still probably just scratching the surface of what she can do.

Nika- really solid game from her. The pull-up 2 was amazing. The two threes were great. I had to rewatch the end of the game as some mentioned a little bit of a tizzy between her and a Xavier player. I did catch it on the rewatch. It just makes me lol. Never change Nika.

Amari and Piath- I'm actually going to start with Piath. I know she's going against the second string but I do think it's impressive how she is able to establish herself in the post and be a big target. She uses her body well and finishes well. I actually think she does it better than most of the post on the team. Anyways, really solid outing from her. Amari played well in her minutes as well. I like how confident she looks shooting from the outside. There was no hesitancy and that alone is something I'm super thrilled with.
Xavier isn't Butler but not far from it. While both Uconn bigs underclassmen had their best games so far. I doubt that is a decent measuring stick for any of the teams Uconn may meet in the BE or NC finals. Experience especially for Posts is a necessary evil unless you are that rare physical big with talent.

Reaction Score
Bell cow?

Mother hen? You've been AZZI cheerleader for what 5 years now?? Bell weather, the indicator, the one everyone looks to, pick any--Bell cow, the one they all follow!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I attended a speach she gave at a Naval Technology convention in the 80s. At the end she handed every attendee a wire approximately 30 cm long to remind each of us that is the distance light travels in one nanosecond. Nothing she said in her presentation was exceptionally advanced material but she was definitely engaging and entertaining.
Just to contribute to thread drift: 30 cm, or a foot, is a light-second. At a semiconductors conference several years ago, a guy used the term "beard-second" (a little levity). He went on to say the average beard grows about 5 nanometers in a second.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Let me say this. Paige Azzi and Caroline can score almost at will. Anybody we play who is slow cant stop us. You can play all the bigs you want but they will have to defend our big 3 and then if they try to go down low we have the height in Caroline 6'2 Edwards 6'3 Liv and Dorka at 6'5. Opponents bigs will not score against UConn like they can against other teams. We are the full load and the full load is fuff to handle.

Reaction Score
Xavier kept making the same mistake by attempting to pass inside instead of taking a midrange shot.
And too often they couldn't beat the shot clock.

The play of the game for me was when Evina faked a pass and then put the ball to the floor splitting 2 defenders.
It didn't result in a basket but it showed her desire to attack the basket.
She's getting more aggressive just as Dorka has started doing more of lately.
It must be because it's getting close to March.

I also liked that Liv made somewhat of a hook or side shot right in front of the basket.
She wanted to score the points so badly that she improvised a shot which was the 1st time that I've ever seen Liv do that move.
I think that the UConn players are picking up tips from watching video of each other and incorporating it into their own games.
The bench bigs also showed the veteran bigs a thing or two, their assists and baskets came with such ease.
They're fun to watch when there's not much pressure on them.
Amari and Piath were playing with "house money" and they made the most of it. Very happy for them.

Reaction Score
Yes, the very quick high-low pass from Amari to Piath was impressive. I realize that Xavier was over matched, but would like to see that from Liv and Dorka. I have said this a few times before and will say it again; Dorka sets up quickly down low, and is open - but the ball doesn't get to her on time!
Two things: Dorka needs to hold her down low position a bit longer and the high post (Ododa) might, on occasion, receive that offensive starting pass facing the sidelines where she doesn't need to turn to pass. This would also keep the defender to her side where she might also take one dribble and finish at the rim.

In the Amari/Piath offense, the next stage of the combo development might be Paith clearing out her defender for Amari to penetrate for a layup. Nova men do this a lot or just back down their man. Paith could do this if she is unable to clearly establish down low position against a better defender. These are just minor changes with major results.

Reaction Score
Aside from her huge impact as a lethal shooter & gravity spacer (not to mention good defender, ball handler, & stabilizing presence), Azzi clearly gives the team massive confidence when she is on the floor— similar to Paige in this respect.

Players play more freely & less uptight when they know their teammate can score virtually at will. Relieves pressure on entire unit at any given time.
No doubt. Most teams have a key player or two in all sports that the other players look up to. Leadership! Crunch time leadership. Who are the real players!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Just to contribute to thread drift: 30 cm, or a foot, is a light-second. At a semiconductors conference several years ago, a guy used the term "beard-second" (a little levity). He went on to say the average beard grows about 5 nanometers in a second.

No. Biff had it right. A light second (the distance light travels in one second) is about 186,000 miles. But you're close. :confused:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
...and Nika hit a pull up tonight! Mercy me!

For her to even look for that shot was AMAZING. Couldn't believe finally did it. No hesitation, totally in the flow. I assume she realizes she passes up 2 or 3 of those almost every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom