Wow! What a Night..... Where do You rank the Top Teams now? | The Boneyard

Wow! What a Night..... Where do You rank the Top Teams now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn
Baylor - Playing better and better every game
Maryland - They proved their mettle last night, even losing.
Florida State - Just an all round sound team playing very very well
South Carolina
Mississippi State - Could be higher but jeez they lost by 61 in last year's Sweet Sixteen, I need to see a better CV
Notre Dame - NC State?

Reaction Score
MD is the only team this season that made me think we had a decent shot (40-50% chance) at losing late in the game. Even though FSU was closer, I never thought UConn was going to lose (the players said the same thing). Baylor and ND were tough, but I never felt like those were going to be losses. Last night definitely felt like a scare where if the game had continued for another couple of minutes could have been a loss. So on that basis, I would say MD #2, Baylor #3, FSU #4, South Carolina #5, ND #6

Reaction Score
MD is the only team this season that made me think we had a decent shot (40-50% chance) at losing late in the game. Even though FSU was closer, I never thought UConn was going to lose (the players said the same thing). Baylor and ND were tough, but I never felt like those were going to be losses. Last night definitely felt like a scare where if the game had continued for another couple of minutes could have been a loss. So on that basis, I would say MD #2, Baylor #3, FSU #4, South Carolina #5, ND #6
That's an interesting perspective. I was at the FSU game and I'm not sure I share it. However, I think you can say that when you look at UConn and you look at FSU, you see a definite step down in player and play quality at FSU. Based on last night, I am not sure there's that much difference been UConn and MD players or play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Baylor and UCONN were to play again I think you would see a much improved Baylor team. I am not sure that UCONN can play much better than they did in the first game, especially with Dangerfield going off like she did. And I don't think you would see zero points from Davis and Cox. And now that Brown has been inserted into the starting lineup this team is MUCH better than in that mid-November game.

Baylor is a strong #2 team at this point.

Reaction Score
If UConn and Maryland meet in the tournament, they are not going to be playing in front of almost 18,000 Maryland fans, Lou will not be puking into a bucket during the game, and after hearing from Geno, Gabby and Napheesa will be less likely to foul

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Miss St, huh? Who have they beaten?

I've watched Miss St and I can't put them in the elite category. They are a good team but when the NCAA tourney rolls around I think they will be a 3 or 4 seed.

Reaction Score
FSU is a solid Top-10 team. They have gotten better since the UConn game, a game they played without Leticia Romero. Beat a decent Miami team on the road by 15 last night. We'll see how they do against Louisville/Syracuse/Duke/Texas/ND, but they could end up being an E8 team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I would have only add that FSU was missing their top player Romero and that quite frankly UConn did not play their A game last night. I would drop MD a notch and add Miss State above ND. They have played a tougher schedule than MD.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Miss St, huh? Who have they beaten?
The amazing thing about having the internet is you could actually look up who teams have played and inform yourself on the fact that MSU has actually played a good OOC and has a star player in Vivians, but hey, who am I to get in the way of someone being a tad lazy...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I've watched Miss St and I can't put them in the elite category. They are a good team but when the NCAA tourney rolls around I think they will be a 3 or 4 seed.
I haven't seen them play but have looked at all their box scores and seen who they have beaten so they seem legit to me. As a "3" you are saying 9-12 and a "4" a 13-16 rank which, no offense, at this point is not logical, they are a definite "2".

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen them play but have looked at all their box scores and seen who they have beaten so they seem legit to me. As a "3" you are saying 9-12 and a "4" a 13-16 rank which, no offense, at this point is not logical, they are a definite "2".

Maybe "at this point" they are a 2, but seedings in the tourney are not based on results up to December 30. I have given them the eye test and they are not a top 8 team, IMO. I would put them more in the 13 - 16 range.

No offense, but maybe you should watch them play before formulating an opinion on where they should be seeded come tourney time. If seedings were determined on "at this point" then let's just go ahead and let the committee set the seedings so that we know where everyone will be going. Not logical.

Reaction Score
FSU should be #2 IMO, Maryland did not impress me last night and if it wasn't for the flu bug and the crappy refs the outcome would've been much different. I expect fsu to be a ff team and challenge Uconn for the nc.

Reaction Score
FSU should be #2 IMO, Maryland did not impress me last night and if it wasn't for the flu bug and the crappy refs the outcome would've been much different. I expect fsu to be a ff team and challenge Uconn for the nc.

I think UConn was a different team when they played FSU so early in the season..........what ever gains FSU get from having Romero back have to be somewhat mitigated by UConn's experience gained as a team in big game situations.............

Reaction Score
This year rankings should be based on who has the best chance of beating UConn. Drop the win/loss criteria and base it solely on chance to beat UConn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If Baylor and UCONN were to play again I think you would see a much improved Baylor team. I am not sure that UCONN can play much better than they did in the first game, especially with Dangerfield going off like she did. And I don't think you would see zero points from Davis and Cox. And now that Brown has been inserted into the starting lineup this team is MUCH better than in that mid-November game.

I think there were any number of reasons the score last night was as close as it was. All the adversity was on the blue side of the court: Any number of sick players, foul trouble, a short bench, and fatigue at the end of the game. Take away any of these four and the win would've been double digits. Although Maryland is a good team that played well, I believe some of us have given them too much credit when it comes to the rankings. I think Baylor beats these guys on a neutral court.

That said. From what I remember in that game against you guys we started 2 sophomores, 2 juniors and 1 senior with 1 freshman getting a larger number of minutes. Against 1 sophomore, 1 junior and 3 seniors. Yet you don't see how our younger team could get or play any better? I hate to tell you, but that's what young players do, get better. As I said before, Davis' ineffectiveness wasn't due to a bad night, unless you think the defensive strategy Geno copied from OSU was twice a fluke. That strategy was of course to let her take that horrible shot and force her to dribble inside. It helped that the player defending her had longer arms and was equally or more athletic. So, keep telling yourself that this young team will remain locked in amber while the WCBB world, and Baylor, moves from banging rocks together to moon walking.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Maybe "at this point" they are a 2, but seedings in the tourney are not based on results up to December 30. I have given them the eye test and they are not a top 8 team, IMO. I would put them more in the 13 - 16 range.

No offense, but maybe you should watch them play before formulating an opinion on where they should be seeded come tourney time. If seedings were determined on "at this point" then let's just go ahead and let the committee set the seedings so that we know where everyone will be going. Not logical.
Baylor in my opinion is the best team UConn played so far. They are huge, deep and well-coached. Mulkey was still fooling with the rotation and had some odd combinations on the floor against the Huskies.

I am not saying they would beat the Huskies in a rematch but the Bears are really good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Imani's three as time expired looked good when it left her hand because she made a similar shot a few minutes earlier. In quite a few versions of my nightmare, it actually goes in, ends the streak and wreck everything Geno was trying to establish with this young undersized team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Kia Nurse was in her slump when UConn played Baylor, one she seems to have recovered from.

You can't do the "what ifs" and extrapolate future games based on a past one with some imaginary happenings. Each game is its own thing.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think there were any number of reasons the score last night was as close as it was. All the adversity was on the blue side of the court: Any number of sick players, foul trouble, a short bench, and fatigue at the end of the game. Take away any of these four and the win would've been double digits. Although Maryland is a good team that played well, I believe some of us have given them too much credit when it comes to the rankings. I think Baylor beats these guys on a neutral court.

That said. From what I remember in that game against you guys we started 2 sophomores, 2 juniors and 1 senior with 1 freshman getting a larger number of minutes. Against 1 sophomore, 1 junior and 3 seniors. Yet you don't see how our younger team could get or play any better? I hate to tell you, but that's what young players do, get better. As I said before, Davis' ineffectiveness wasn't due to a bad night, unless you think the defensive strategy Geno copied from OSU was twice a fluke. That strategy was of course to let her take that horrible shot and force her to dribble inside. It helped that the player defending her had longer arms and was equally or more athletic. So, keep telling yourself that this young team will remain locked in amber while the WCBB world, and Baylor, moves from banging rocks together to moon walking.

I guess we all keep convincing ourselves of what we want to believe. I call it the Donald Trump effect.

Reaction Score
UCONN #1 and beginning to put distance between themselves and every other team.

Reaction Score
I think UConn was a different team when they played FSU so early in the season.....what ever gains FSU get from having Romero back have to be somewhat mitigated by UConn's experience gained as a team in big game situations...
So you are saying only uconn gets better during the season? I picked fsu to win the acc and to be a ff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom