Wow, Kiah [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow, Kiah [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I grew up in Hawkeye country and saw most every game of the elder Stokes. He was long at 6'10" and quite strong as well. His teams were usually in the twin towers configuration, with a guy named Michael Payne. Stokes in the middle and Payne (at 6'11") at the forward.

If I am remembering correctly, I saw Payne play in HS. I believe he played for Quincy, one of the best HS teams I have ever seen.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Stokes was amazing tonight... first time ive really seen her play extended minutes and I was very impressed. The Duke radio announcers were raving about Stokes as well.

It really makes me feel old seeing her play though.... I remember watching her father play at Iowa.. but I will say I was a young lad when I watched the elder Stokes in college.
You think you're old? I remember Maurice Stokes when he played for the Rochester Royals back in 1956. Tragic career. Banged his head on the floor in his last game of the 57-58 season. Stokes' head injury was greatly aggravated by airplane cabin pressure during the flight back to Cincinnati; he later suffered a seizure, fell into a coma and was left permanently paralyzed. BTW, don't know if he is any relation.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Stokes was amazing tonight... first time ive really seen her play extended minutes and I was very impressed. The Duke radio announcers were raving about Stokes as well.

It really makes me feel old seeing her play though.... I remember watching her father play at Iowa.. but I will say I was a young lad when I watched the elder Stokes in college.
Wanna talk about old...I'm telling someone just the other day about how amazing Pistol Pete Maravich was and that I saw him several times when he played at the NOLA Superdome for the Jazz! Soon as the words came out of my mouth I thought...good grief you're old. Pete's long dead and the Jazz have been in Utah for over two decades. :eek:

Reaction Score
Wow, what an effort against one of the premier centers in the NCAA. 12 rebounds and 5 blocks. And she has upside! UConn's front court will be awesome for the years to come.
Kiah was given an opportunity tonight and boy did she make the best of it. Good to see her making significant progress and we all know she will only get better. Congrats to Kiah.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Wow, what an effort against one of the premier centers in the NCAA. 12 rebounds and 5 blocks. And she has upside! UConn's front court will be awesome for the years to come.
Gotta admit, during Kiah's performance tonight I couldn't help but project to next year and visual a defensive front line with her and Breanna on the wings and Stef in the middle! UConn's future "steel curtain"!

Reaction Score
Gotta admit, during Kiah's performance tonight I couldn't help but project to next year and visual a defensive front line with her and Breanna on the wings and Stef in the middle! UConn's future "steel curtain"!
Or "The Great Wall of UConn" :)

Reaction Score
You were Agog! My new favorite word. :)

Well, what kind of a gog are you going to be, Nan?

You're not a Tarheel fan, so you can't be a Shegog. I guess that leaves you as a Hegog.

Reaction Score
The BEST frontcourt player on the floor tonight. Hope she continues to progress like she has the past few weeks.

Reaction Score
Very proud of Kiah tonight! She is developing into the player we all knew she could be. Congrats to her and to UCONN for a great win

Reaction Score
I was hoping that Dolson and Kiah combined would give us 15 points and 14 rebounds they gave us 14 points and 15 rebounds...I'll take that on any given night. Great job ladies!
I agree that those numbers are a pretty impressive total but most people would have assumed that more of those rebounds would have been Dolson's, right???

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Kiah was Geno's secret weapon tonight. No way in the world that Joann McCauley's scouting report could have anticipated that performance.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, what kind of a gog are you going to be, Nan?

You're not a Tarheel fan, so you can't be a Shegog. I guess that leaves you as a Hegog.
Clearly she is Ma-gog.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Let's not forget Morgan Tuck. Our front line will intimidate many an opponent.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Let's not forget Morgan Tuck. Our front line will intimidate many an opponent.

Most likely, BStewart will play the 4 but if Kiah keeps on truckin' like she did last night -- a high standard which I don't expect to see every game [yet!] -- BStewart could play the 3 with her versatility, sort of like KPedersen but even more talented. And of course Morgan will be right there, too. It will be interesting to see if she develops more as an inside player or as an all-court scorer like a 3.

We will be so SCARY DEEP at the two forward spots the next few years, it is just sick. Also a complete flip from where we started out the year, being so guard heavy.

I still maintain that the trio of Morgan/BStewart/Kiah will enable the return of the 3-headed monster upon Stef's graduation if we don't recruit a traditional center to replace Stef in the 2014 class. Kiah's performance last night cemented that notion for me, since I am already so confident in BStewart. While Morgan is not at the same all-world level, I am pretty sure she will be up to snuff as well. A senior Kiah and juniors BStewart and Morgan would wreak utter havoc across the WCBB landscape, much as Tamika/Swin/Asjha did.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Most likely, BStewart will play the 4 but if Kiah keeps on truckin' like she did last night -- a high standard which I don't expect to see every game [yet!] -- BStewart could play the 3 with her versatility, sort of like KPedersen but even more talented. And of course Morgan will be right there, too. It will be interesting to see if she develops more as an inside player or as an all-court scorer like a 3.

We will be so SCARY DEEP at the two forward spots the next few years, it is just sick. Also a complete flip from where we started out the year, being so guard heavy.
Actually, UConn could be scary deep at all three forward spots, if Kaleena plays the small forward and UConn should be so lucky as to sign Diamond DeShields.

Reaction Score
Kiah was Geno's secret weapon tonight. No way in the world that Joann McCauley's scouting report could have anticipated that performance.

NICE TO SEE HER BOUNCE BACK AGAIN FROM ALL OF GENO'S OPPORTUNINGS.
SHOWS COURAGE AND RESILIENCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22