Wow, Kiah [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Wow, Kiah [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wow, what an effort against one of the premier centers in the NCAA. 12 rebounds and 5 blocks. And she has upside! UConn's front court will be awesome for the years to come.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Holy crap. Can you say S-T-A-T-E-M-E-N-T ???

Kiah:

blocking shots everywhere
boxing out everybody
taking EW 1-on-1 and not only blocking the shot, but TAKING the ball away
altering countless shots
rebounding like a human vacuum cleaner

WOW! DAMN ! WOW ! DAMN ! WOW WOW WOW

Reaction Score
Holy crap. Can you say S-T-A-T-E-M-E-N-T ???

Kiah:

blocking shots everywhere
boxing out everybody
taking EW 1-on-1 and not only blocking the shot, but TAKING the ball away
altering countless shots
rebounding like a human vacuum cleaner

WOW! DAMN ! WOW ! DAMN ! WOW WOW WOW
WOW indeed! what a game for her! WOW!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
POG? Definitely worthy. She's a fabulous talent no doubt about it.

Reaction Score
Maybe that lineup of Stef, Kiah and Stewart next year is not a crazy one:) WOW!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree Great Game by Kiah. She was the difference maker when Stef got into Foul Trouble. Held Williams in Check

Rebounds Kiah 12 Williams 4 Great great Job.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I was hoping that Dolson and Kiah combined would give us 15 points and 14 rebounds they gave us 14 points and 15 rebounds...I'll take that on any given night. Great job ladies!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I was hoping that Dolson and Kiah combined would give us 15 points and 14 rebounds they gave us 14 points and 15 rebounds...I'll take that on any given night. Great job ladies!

You would have nailed it if it weren't for your dyslexia!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kiah can get so much better. That's the scary part.

She was rebounding with authority as she gained confidence. That shows me she can do that all the time. She can and will get better and more consistent on O, too. Really a good looking player.

And kudos once again to MM and of course CD (she of the unassailable track record in terms of post development) for bringing a kid along.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kiah can get so much better. That's the scary part.

She was rebounding with authority as she gained confidence. That shows me she can do that all the time. She can and will get better and more consistent on O, too. Really a good looking player.
She played like an upperclassman. I was agog (lol) when EWill was driving down the lane, saw Kiah waiting for her and tossed up a funky looking lefty shot to avoid being blocked. That should tell us something.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She played like an upperclassman. I was agog (lol) when EWill was driving down the lane, saw Kiah waiting for her and tossed up a funky looking lefty shot to avoid being blocked. That should tell us something.
Indeed. Now just imagine what she'll be capable of when she is an upperclassman. :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
She played like an upperclassman. I was agog (lol) when EWill was driving down the lane, saw Kiah and tossed up a funky looking lefty shot to avoid being blocked. That should tell us something.

How about that time late in the game when EW thought she would school Kiah 1-on-1 on the low block... Kiah blocks the shot and takes it. I was like ... :eek: ... in a good way!

Reaction Score
OK, Defense was the story of our success tonight, but, I wholeheartedly agree, Kiah's emergence was the most gratifying individual element....especially on the defensive end. This gives Geno way more options: He can play a twin towers game, a four guard game, lots of variations. Kiah and Stef are going to be molded into much more physically aggressive players. we blocked out well, rebounded well, and forced them into a very ineffective offense....the #5 team in the country can't break 50??? Wow!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
On the post-game show CD said Kiah should have been credited with more blocks. CD says she had 5 in the first half alone.

CD's words to Kiah (which Kiah repeated in the interview) were to be happy with the win but hungry to get better. CD sounded really pleased with the road win. She said of course the offense could have been better and the TOs in the second half didn't help, but the bigger issue for the team was to put away a good team on the road. And of course the defense was terrific. CD also said that Kiah seems to play best when her team really needs her, but she needs to build on this effort and continue to get better on both ends.

Kiah also sounded pleased and proud of her effort and helping her team win when she was needed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stokes was amazing tonight... first time ive really seen her play extended minutes and I was very impressed. The Duke radio announcers were raving about Stokes as well.

It really makes me feel old seeing her play though.... I remember watching her father play at Iowa.. but I will say I was a young lad when I watched the elder Stokes in college.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
On the post-game show CD said Kiah should have been credited with more blocks. CD says she had 5 in the first half alone.

I agree that Kiah was shorted at least 1 and probably 2 blocks in the first half - I remarked in the game thread that the box had her with one (at the time) and the announcers had called at least 2 or 3 blocks for her already, so they weren't "stealth" blocks.

She was just dominant inside tonight - there's no other word. Incredible.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Just shows that the rating systems in high school don't mean a lot...not that Williams isn't dominant, she is, but Kiah more than held her own. Plus her team won :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Stokes was amazing tonight... first time ive really seen her play extended minutes and I was very impressed. The Duke radio announcers were raving about Stokes as well.

It really makes me feel old seeing her play though.... I remember watching her father play at Iowa.. but I will say I was a young lad when I watched the elder Stokes in college.

I grew up in Hawkeye country and saw most every game of the elder Stokes. He was long at 6'10" and quite strong as well. His teams were usually in the twin towers configuration, with a guy named Michael Payne. Stokes in the middle and Payne (at 6'11") at the forward.

Reaction Score
Kiah was wonderful. The team really didn't miss a beat when she replaced Dolson. Some things I've noticed:

Kiah seems to have great confidence getting the ball and if no one's clear, dribbling out of trouble. I don't know whether it took the Duke players by surprise (perhaps they were agog), but they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't get the ball away from here. Also, when she gets a rebound, she does a really good job protecting it. She doesn't do the outlet thing as fast as Dolson, but when she has the ball, the other players -- even when she is surrounded -- are unlikely to pry it loose. These are huge pluses.

The blocks were amazing. Elizabeth Williams is a major talent, and Kiah simply would not let her get free. It was a clinic.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Kiah was wonderful. The team really didn't miss a beat when she replaced Dolson. Some things I've noticed:

Kiah seems to have great confidence getting the ball and if no one's clear, dribbling out of trouble. I don't know whether it took the Duke players by surprise (perhaps they were agog), but they couldn't/wouldn't/didn't get the ball away from here. Also, when she gets a rebound, she does a really good job protecting it. She doesn't do the outlet thing as fast as Dolson, but when she has the ball, the other players -- even when she is surrounded -- are unlikely to pry it loose. These are huge pluses.

The blocks were amazing. Elizabeth Williams is a major talent, and Kiah simply would not let her get free. It was a clinic.

Let's hope that getting a taste for this kind of success in the middle has whetted her appetite.....:cool:

Reaction Score

I know what you mean, I remember watching Greg Stokes play, too. So much energy, intensity and focus in his game, very memorable player. Tonight was the closest thing I've seen so far to his game from his daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom