OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 25 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
Does anyone ever wonder about communication between referees and players in these matches? What language is that in? Watching Brazil and Serbia, and it's interesting.
A hybrid of footballese, basic English, hand signals & nods appear to get 'er done. 20-30 year old Serbians most likely speak some English (tiny country); Brazilians not as much

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A hybrid of footballese, basic English, hand signals & nods appear to get 'er done. 20-30 year old Serbians most likely speak some English (tiny country); Brazilians not as much

Both the Brazilians and Serbians are covering their mouths (to avoid lip reading cameras) when talking to the referee. So, somehow, they are talking to him in a language at least he understands.

With countries as far removed from each other as Brazil and Serbia, it's hard to see obvious common ground. Many Brazilians do play in Europe.

Reaction Score
Both the Brazilians and Serbians are covering their mouths (to avoid lip reading cameras) when talking to the referee. So, somehow, they are talking to him in a language at least he understands.

With countries as far removed from each other as Brazil and Serbia, it's hard to see obvious common ground. Many Brazilians do play in Europe.
Thinking about it more, I recalled FIFA has 4 official languages: English, the traditional standard diplomatic language: French, Spanish, and German. Aside from players from Brazilian playing in Europe, most of them can likely converse in basic Spanish and possibly other Latin languages. For the Serbians, most likely they all speak basic English, likely some German, possibly some Italian, and some of the languages spoken in the nations they play. As for the Brazil game's Iranian ref, English, French ? ? ? ? ?

Reaction Score
Many of the brazilians play in Europe though, I'm sure they pick up some basic soccer jargon, no?

Edit...i should have finished reading the thread, never mind.

Reaction Score
Thinking about it more, I recalled FIFA has 4 official languages: English, the traditional standard diplomatic language: French, Spanish, and German. Aside from players from Brazilian playing in Europe, most of them can likely converse in basic Spanish and possibly other Latin languages. For the Serbians, most likely they all speak basic English, likely some German, possibly some Italian, and some of the languages spoken in the nations they play. As for the Brazil game's Iranian ref, English, French ? ? ? ? ?

I have also thought about this issue over the years.

I think players and referees mostly communicate with one another through gestures and “a little bit of English”, as you point out, the current language for diplomacy.

For the first dozen or so World Cups, however, it was probably “a little bit of French”, since that was at the time the widely accepted diplomatic language. (And, after all, FIFA is an acronym for the Fédération Internationale de Football Association.)

Can you imagine how bad the officiating would be if FIFA required referees to be fluent in all four languages? English, Spanish, French, and German?

As fans of the sport, we only want our referees to be fluent in soccer, fútbol, football, and Fußball.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Dangerous free kick. Pulling for James, Cuadrado and crew.

Senegal looking more ready though. Aaaaaannnd a PK...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OH god....James is out in the 30th minute. Columbia not playing well and the best player on the pitch is out with the injury.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
0-0 both games. Not much excitement. Decided I don't really care who goes through, and doubt than any of the three teams in this group can win another game anyway.

Looking forward to England vs Belgium. True test for both squads.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
0-0 both games. Not much excitement. Decided I don't really care who goes through, and doubt than any of the three teams in this group can win another game anyway.

Looking forward to England vs Belgium. True test for both squads.

Yeah, it's been dull. Columbia has had the only real (very few) chances, but Senegal looks much more solid.

Reaction Score
Wonder why Wague isn’t starting for Senegal at right back, he’s looked great, and only 19 years old.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Colombia!!

If both games hold they will go through!

Reaction Score
I’m a Liverpool fan and I love Manè, but boy he has been so mediocre in this tournament, he waits so long to play a ball every time and gets tackled or plays the wrong pass, and just looks lackadaisical all the time.

Reaction Score
For those interested in growing the sport globally, this has been an awful WC.

The only surprise omission from the Round of 16 is Germany.

Of the 16 teams in the knockout round: 10 from Europe, 5 from Latin America.

Africa: zero. Middle East: zero. Asia: only Japan.

Reaction Score

It's already the biggest sport in the world by a country kilometer. Nigeria's average age is like 22, they'll be back and a dangerous team over the next 2 world cups.

Also, it's the format of the tourney. Even if Senegal had made it, it would have knocked out Japan. So we'd have Africa: one, Asia: zero, if the results were different today.

Reaction Score

Growing globally? Lol.

Reaction Score

Not gonna pile on because I’m sure plenty others here will kill this post but lol seriously?

Reaction Score
Not gonna pile on because I’m sure plenty others here will kill this post but lol seriously?

My point is it's a less compelling outcome when, basically, 2 regions of the world are represented in the knockout stage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom