OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 26 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I’m a Liverpool fan and I love Manè, but boy he has been so mediocre in this tournament, he waits so long to play a ball every time and gets tackled or plays the wrong pass, and just looks lackadaisical all the time.

He didn't make a single play that game iirc.

Reaction Score
0-0 both games. Not much excitement. Decided I don't really care who goes through, and doubt than any of the three teams in this group can win another game anyway.

Looking forward to England vs Belgium. True test for both squads.

Well looks like both teams are putting out their B teams

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For those interested in growing the sport globally, this has been an awful WC.

The only surprise omission from the Round of 16 is Germany.

Of the 16 teams in the knockout round: 10 from Europe, 5 from Latin America.

Africa: zero. Middle East: zero. Asia: only Japan.

There were already a lot of surprises. The Dutch and Italians failed to qualify. Look at the representation from Eastern Europe, with Croatia and Russia getting through. Those are not traditional powers.

Mexico got through, which is a mild surprise. Columbia getting through is a bit of a surprise, and Japan got through. Are you complaining because the bad teams are bad?

Reaction Score
Belgium vs England screams draw. Neither team should want to win this game as the Group G winner gets placed in the upper portion of the bracket with Brazil, France, Portugal, Argentina, and Uruguay. Bottom portion is much softer.

Reaction Score
My point is it's a less compelling outcome when, basically, 2 regions of the world are represented in the knockout stage.
Cream rises to the top. Fair play rule or not, I'm not so sure more people prefer to watch an outlier just for some non-traditional flavor versus watching the winning qualifying teams. Just one person, but I'm glad Japan advanced.

Reaction Score
There were already a lot of surprises. The Dutch and Italians failed to qualify. Look at the representation from Eastern Europe, with Croatia and Russia getting through. Those are not traditional powers.

Mexico got through, which is a mild surprise. Columbia getting through is a bit of a surprise, and Japan got through. Are you complaining because the bad teams are bad?

Yes, qualifying was actually more surprising than the finals have been.

The group stages have been extremely "chalk"y. Russia aren't a traditional power but they were gifted a group with SA and Egypt. They were favored to advance. Colombia is a surprise? Japan, sure.

As someone rooting for chaos it's been pretty disappointing, with the exception of Germany bowing out.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Belgium vs England screams draw. Neither team should want to win this game as the Group G winner gets placed in the upper portion of the bracket with Brazil, France, Portugal, Argentina, and Uruguay. Bottom portion is much softer.

In the bracket I am looking at it is right left. Winner gets Japan, loser Columbia. Both would be favored heavily in either match. Beyond that is is the Swiss/Sweden winner or Brazil/Mexico winner. I'd suggest that Brazil is the most scary team of those four, so loser avoids that potential match-up. So you are probably right. Spain in the loser bracket, France, Argentina, Brazil, Portugal, Uruguay all in the winner bracket.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yes, qualifying was actually more surprising than the finals have been.

The group stages have been extremely "chalk"y. Russia aren't a traditional power but they were gifted a group with SA and Egypt. They were favored to advance. Colombia is a surprise? Japan, sure.

As someone rooting for chaos it's been pretty disappointing, with the exception of Germany bowing out.

Chaos isn't going to happen. The African and Asian countries don't have enough players playing in top leagues. Nor do Mexico and Columbia, which is why I listed them as slight surprises. A grand total of 8 nations have won a WC.

Your best bet for a surprise team in the final four is if Spain loses and or the loser of this match loses. Every team in the top left is strong, it's crazy. France - Argentina, Portugal-Uruguay. Anybody's guess who comes out of that. Lower left will be the winner of this match or Brazil most likely.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This England/Belgium game is pathetic.

Would have been one of the best in the tournament if on the first week.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For those interested in growing the sport globally, this has been an awful WC.

Soccer has zero problem in terms of global reach or growth. It's popularity is ubiquitous. The different levels of strength are obviously expected, as the favored countries have been at it longer, or more resources/population to work with.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rachford. Yikes. Everything about that was beautiful but the finish...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Rachford. Yikes. Everything about that was beautiful but the finish...

Sadly, as a Manchester United supporter, it's all too common. He has some great skills, finishing doesn't seem to be one of them...yet. He is young.

Reaction Score
Not a huge soccer fan but I follow when my boys are in it. This year, I just wanted Germany to lose. So I am happy. Who is the favorite of the final 16?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Not a huge soccer fan but I follow when my boys are in it. This year, I just wanted Germany to lose. So I am happy. Who is the favorite of the final 16?

Should still be Brazil, I believe.

Reaction Score
Soccer has zero problem in terms of global reach or growth.
If soccer organizations aren't thinking about market share maintenance and/or expansion, then they're fools.
Maybe in undeveloped countries, where kicking a goat bladder around is still the only option.
Everywhere else, soccer is going to be competiting with the same elements as are the NBA, NFL, and every other pro sports team - a rapidly changing entertainment spectrum led by the Internet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom