Women playing a role in CR? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Women playing a role in CR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why would the AAC hurt the women's program anyway?
Part of the recruiting sales pitch is the opposition the targetted recruit will face. The conference is a substantial, often major, part of that opposition. Part of the pitch of those recruiting against you is the quality of opposition a recruit will get to play against. I've seen plenty of instances of a commit citing the conference when offering reasons for his/her choice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Part of the recruiting sales pitch is the opposition the targetted recruit will face. The conference is a substantial, often major, part of that opposition. Part of the pitch of those recruiting against you is the quality of opposition a recruit will get to play against. I've seen plenty of instances of a commit citing the conference when offering reasons for his/her choice.

If they didn't win most conference games by 30+ I'd worry about it.

Still has nothing to do with Title IX.

Reaction Score
The UConn women's program can still and will play anyone they like. We've seen great programs like ND all but beg to continue playing the women's team. UConn women, will still play Stanford, Baylor, etc, as they like. Of all our programs, they are the LEAST hurt by realignment IMO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Women's tennis is 10x more popular.
Well talking about college sports, I would say that' probably the exact opposite. I've yet to see or hear about a college tennis match on TV. Nor do I or most people know any college tennis player's name. I doubt hardly anyone could tell you who won the NCAA last year without looking it up (besides a lucky guess).

Outside of that? Maybe, depends on how one measures it.

Reaction Score
If they didn't win most conference games by 30+ I'd worry about it.

Still has nothing to do with Title IX.

You completely missed the point and I have no idea why. I didn't address what you said about Title IX because, quite frankly, I had nothing to say about that part of your post. I won't address what you just added about when worry should set in because I don't think I can help.

But you did ask:

Why would the AAC hurt the women's program anyway?

That's all I spoke to and my points there went entirely ignored in this response. Recruits care about what conference they'll compete in for the same reasons all of us are on this conference re-alignment board because conference matters. Any negative change in the ability to compete for the very, very best recruits will inevitably hurt Geno's program. It won't mean his teams won't be generally competitive. It won't necessarily mean he won't win other championships. But it will mean he won't dominate the sport for the next 15 years the way he has for the past 15.

Reaction Score
Geno won't dominate for the next 15 years, because he won't be around that long. The man is almost 60. The UConn women's program didn't become what it did because of it's affiliation with the Big East. The Big East became a decent women's bball conference because of its affiliation with the UConn women's program. The same can happen to the teams in the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You completely missed the point and I have no idea why. I didn't address what you said about Title IX because, quite frankly, I had nothing to say about that part of your post. I won't address what you just added about when worry should set in because I don't think I can help.

But you did ask:

That's all I spoke to and my points there went entirely ignored in this response. Recruits care about what conference they'll compete in for the same reasons all of us are on this conference re-alignment board because conference matters. Any negative change in the ability to compete for the very, very best recruits will inevitably hurt Geno's program. It won't mean his teams won't be generally competitive. It won't necessarily mean he won't win other championships. But it will mean he won't dominate the sport for the next 15 years the way he has for the past 15.

I just disagree that women's basketball players attend UConn based on the conference. They will still play a ton of teams and they dominated all those schools besides Notre Dame anyway. What's the difference of blowing out SMU by 60 and Seton Hall by 50.

Reaction Score
The UConn women's program can still and will play anyone they like. We've seen great programs like ND all but beg to continue playing the women's team. UConn women, will still play Stanford, Baylor, etc, as they like. Of all our programs, they are the LEAST hurt by realignment IMO.

I don't disagree with anything you posted. However, the bolded statement acknowledges the WBB program will be hurt, if only less than other sports. Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, neither was it destroyed in one. It may take a while before everything Auriemma has created here erodes simply because what he's done is so extraordinary. The best coach in the sport will continue to attract talent...but how much? Contemplating this AAC mess is like looking up and seeing buzzards circling. The drool accumulating in the coaching offices at Stanford, Baylor, Notre Dame, Duke, Carolina, Louisville, and elsewhere is probably in violoation of workplace safety laws.

Reaction Score
I just disagree that women's basketball players attend UConn based on the conference.

Of course players didn't accept a scholarship to play here based entirely, or even majority part, on the Big East. But, don't you think part of our staff's recruiting pitch included references to the advantages to playing in the BE? Don't you think other schools will mention our "downgrade" in affiliation negatively? Don't you think ANY high profile recruits that may be on the fence will pass on us based on those arguments?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Of course players didn't accept a scholarship to play here based entirely, or even majority part, on the Big East. But, don't you think part of our staff's recruiting pitch included references to the advantages to playing in the BE? Don't you think other schools will mention our "downgrade" in affiliation negatively? Don't you think ANY high profile recruits that may be on the fence will pass on us based on those arguments?

NO. The Big East absolutely sucked prior to UCONN's rise to prominence.

Reaction Score
....in the context of realignment, no one cares about women's hoop.

Exhibit A - the University of Connecticut.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't matter. (Of course, from our perspective, men's basketball, academics and our television market don't seem to mean much either.)

No need to invoke the Lord's name there, Fish.

When UConn has to start wacking women's as well as men's programs (think Providence baseball) because of lack of revenue that's when the Title IX crapstorm among the womyn's 'Advocates' should start kicking in. Which is why the state leaders should be invoking it now. You think Jim Delaney and John Swofford want to get hauled up to DC and have the likes of Feinstein, Mikulski, Boxer and Pelosi on their ass?

Why do people always shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to looking for whatever leverage we can find here?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What's the difference of blowing out SMU by 60 and Seton Hall by 50.
10 points. (although math probably isn't my best subject).

I think it could have a small effect on recruiting. But probably not something Geno cannot overcome. Just gives him one less thing he can push (a good conference schedule). After he retires, then maybe it will have a bigger effect.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

It's just a matter of changing the pitch you give recruits. Where as before you might say, "Come to UConn. We play in the BE and you'll play in the best conference in the country.", you now say, "UConn plays some good teams in the AAC but we've also scheduled some of the best teams in the country for our OOC. We even some open dates in the next few years that we can use to schedule a game against some one near your hometown."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's just a matter of changing the pitch you give recruits. Where as before you might say, "Come to UConn. We play in the BE and you'll play in the best conference in the country.", you now say, "UConn has won 8 NCs and were are competing for the National Title each and every year. Every game is televised so your friends and family will be able to see every game. We have more alumni is the WNBA and Europe than any other program. If you come to Connecticut we won't promise you anything other than you will be playing the best players in the country, in front of packed areas and be coached by the best coach ever in woman's basketball. Oh yeah and we schedule some of the best teams in the country for our OOC. We even some open dates in the next few years that we can use to schedule a game against some one near your hometown."

Might be more like the above.

Reaction Score
The truth is no one knows about the TV deal. Reading about what ESPN and CBS have to show, it makes you think that committing to UConn will land you on national TV quite often. If the contract language about 12 CBS games and lots of ESPN games is true, this conference is going to have Memphis, UConn and Cincy playing often in front of national audiences.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
No need to invoke the Lord's name there, Fish.

When UConn has to start wacking women's as well as men's programs (think Providence baseball) because of lack of revenue that's when the Title IX crapstorm among the womyn's 'Advocates' should start kicking in. Which is why the state leaders should be invoking it now. You think Jim Delaney and John Swofford want to get hauled up to DC and have the likes of Feinstein, Mikulski, Boxer and Pelosi on their ass?

Why do people always shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to looking for whatever leverage we can find here?
Title 9 is not implicated by UConn playing in a lesser conference. We will still provide the same amount of scholarship opportunities for women's hoops as before. Somebody else will benefit by getting our better recruits, but that's the market. Athletic department revenue is not mandated to be equal across the country and in each conference. Our players won't fly charter anymore? Too bad, that has nothing to do with title 9. As long as UConn drops equal numbers of scholarships, it is in compliance. Maybe Rutgers or Pitt will add more athletic teams.

Reaction Score
Title 9 is not implicated by UConn playing in a lesser conference. We will still provide the same amount of scholarship opportunities for women's hoops as before. Somebody else will benefit by getting our better recruits, but that's the market. Athletic department revenue is not mandated to be equal across the country and in each conference. Our players won't fly charter anymore? Too bad, that has nothing to do with title 9. As long as UConn drops equal numbers of scholarships, it is in compliance. Maybe Rutgers or Pitt will add more athletic teams.

With all due respect, Rutgers could f - up a wet dream. Have you been reading the papers?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I imagine the pitch is: Look at the interest. Look at the NCs. Look at the All Americans. Look at the WNBA draft.

Other than Notre Dame the marginal difference between the rest of the schools is awfully small.

Reaction Score
I imagine the pitch is: Look at the interest. Look at the NCs. Look at the All Americans. Look at the WNBA draft.

I didn't mean to give the impression that strong elements of the recruiting pitch don't remain even though we're going to another conference, just that, for the recruit truly on the fence, the AAC becomes a reason to look elsewhere whereas the Big East was a strong reason to accept UConn's offer. Let those concerns build over time and the overall strength of our classes begins to erode. More importantly, our competition will undoubtedly hammer the competition provided by the AAC mercilessly causing even more doubt in recruits minds about the viability of Geno's reputation for running the unquestioned #1 program. I can't see how our current momentum won't be impeded by this new association.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't mean to give the impression that strong elements of the recruiting pitch don't remain even though we're going to another conference, just that, for the recruit truly on the fence, the AAC becomes a reason to look elsewhere whereas the Big East was a strong reason to accept UConn's offer. Let those concerns build over time and the overall strength of our classes begins to erode. More importantly, our competition will undoubtedly hammer the competition provided by the AAC mercilessly causing even more doubt in recruits minds about the viability of Geno's reputation for running the unquestioned #1 program. I can't see how our current momentum won't be impeded by this new association.

And people would have said it's more important in MBB but Ollie is rolling... just don't see it as an issue while Geno is around.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

As stated above, besides ND, who else in the Big East really that great? So now they win games by 60 instead of 50. Who cares. Genos departure is the only thing that will make any difference.

Reaction Score
As stated above, besides ND, who else in the Big East really that great? So now they win games by 60 instead of 50. Who cares. Genos departure is the only thing that will make any difference.

Rutgers??

Reaction Score

louisville has been in the national championship game two of the last four years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom