Women playing a role in CR? | The Boneyard

Women playing a role in CR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/new-york/college...lle-cardinals-julie-hermann-athletic-director

Rutgers hired a female AD and Debbie Yow of NC State is elated.

I know women's basketball doesn't drive the bus, but we are very likely headed towards having the most prestigious women's basketball program ever. And parity is increasing. If Geno wins more, we'll be the UCLA of women's basketball. Blast me all you want, but I am a firm believer that our women's basketball program can play a role in conference realignment because it adds to the perception that a conference cares to have the best women's programs. I am sure some know, women's basketball is the most popular women's sport.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Women's tennis is 10x more popular.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The UConn Women's Basketball program will help us just as much in Conference Realignment as wrestling does for Iowa State, lacrosse does for John's Hopkins, and baseball does for Cal State Fullerton.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm with Butch.

Hidden stealthy UConn advantage ... DOMINANT Women's Program in DOMINANT Collegiate Women's Sport. No, it did not outweigh Syracuse or Pitt's advantage of being BIGTIME Football since the Flintstones. It did not outweigh the perceived money making Market that is NJ. But, I believe the Auriemma Program is a sore thumb on this talk of separating 65 from the rest of the NCAA. ALL the Bigtime Programs (UNC, Texas, Michigan, UCLA, Oregon, Notre Dame, Florida) want to be Title IX aware; and UConn is the outlier.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I appreciate anything that puts UConn in a positive light. But if I were making a pie chart of "Factors that will influence UConn's future conference"... At best I would give it 5-10%.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The UConn Women's Basketball program will help us just as much in Conference Realignment as wrestling does for Iowa State, lacrosse does for John's Hopkins, and baseball does for Cal State Fullerton.:rolleyes:
Isn't John Hopkins lacrosse going to the B1G? Iowa St is a Big 12 team. Ah, I see what you did there.

Reaction Score

Why? Have conferences suddenly ignored the importance of cold hard cash? You're comparing a program that makes millions to several programs that LOSE money.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/new-york/college...lle-cardinals-julie-hermann-athletic-director

Rutgers hired a female AD and Debbie Yow of NC State is elated.

I know women's basketball doesn't drive the bus, but we are very likely headed towards having the most prestigious women's basketball program ever. And parity is increasing. If Geno wins more, we'll be the UCLA of women's basketball. Blast me all you want, but I am a firm believer that our women's basketball program can play a role in conference realignment because it adds to the perception that a conference cares to have the best women's programs. I am sure some know, women's basketball is the most popular women's sport.

Women's athletic programs are important to the B1G and for BTN programming. The success of UCONN women's basketball is not going to be reason enough to get a B1G invitation. However, it is a great selling point for UCONN and every opportunity should be taken advantage of to highlight how UCONN fits with the desire of the B1G to grow their east coast presence and highlight women's sports.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary...ten-commissioner-jim-delany-latest-man-column

Q: How do women's sports fit into your content plans for the Big Ten Network?
A: They do, and importantly. When we created this network, we wanted to have control over the presentation. Part of that for us was controlling how much alcohol advertising there was. We [also] wanted to control the fact that women's sports weren't always the last part of the discussion in a major TV negotiation. We also wanted institutional educational features, as well ... we wanted the network to project our values -- competition, equity, education.
And so, when we found a partner in Fox, we explained we wanted to get a commitment that, across [all] platforms, we would have approximately the same number of events for men as we do for women, and we've been able to achieve that. We don't have the same ratings, but last year we had probably 440 [women's sports] events on either linear or digital. That's part of what we want to be, what we want to project.

Reaction Score
Women's athletic programs are important to the B1G and for BTN programming. The success of UCONN women's basketball is not going to be reason enough to get a B1G invitation. However, it is a great selling point for UCONN and every opportunity should be taken advantage of to highlight how UCONN fits with the desire of the B1G to grow their east coast presence and highlight women's sports.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary...ten-commissioner-jim-delany-latest-man-column

Q: How do women's sports fit into your content plans for the Big Ten Network?
A: They do, and importantly. When we created this network, we wanted to have control over the presentation. Part of that for us was controlling how much alcohol advertising there was. We [also] wanted to control the fact that women's sports weren't always the last part of the discussion in a major TV negotiation. We also wanted institutional educational features, as well ... we wanted the network to project our values -- competition, equity, education.
And so, when we found a partner in Fox, we explained we wanted to get a commitment that, across [all] platforms, we would have approximately the same number of events for men as we do for women, and we've been able to achieve that. We don't have the same ratings, but last year we had probably 440 [women's sports] events on either linear or digital. That's part of what we want to be, what we want to project.

UConn needs the AAU badly. Women's bball on SNY actually knocked out a Syracuse men's bball game off the air. They get high ratings, and earn millions in TV dollars.

Reaction Score
I'm not under the illusion that the UConn women's basketball team will play any sort of prominent role in conference realignment, but let's give ourselves a little more credit here.

The women's team has had every game televised since 1995. Think about that for a second.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that John Hopkins lacrosse, Cal State Fullerton baseball and Iowa wrestling don't have every game televised in 2013. And they're certainly not receiving as much airtime on ESPN and other national stations.

Not only that, but the women's games on SNY received an average rating around 8.5. I would venture to guess that many B1G men's programs don't draw that kind of rating (in fact, one Syracuse men's game was actually shown on tape delay so that the women could be aired live).

Again, I don't think the women will be a huge consideration, but let's not ignore that TV market is a huge factor in this, at least from the B1G's perspective. The women's team would undeniably bring a lot more eyeballs to the Big Ten Network. Combined with UConn's presence in New England and its slight presence in NYC, it makes the school an attractive - even if not a must-have - candidate for expansion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn was a must have the Big 10 would not leave them on the AAC vine to die.

Reaction Score
If UConn was a must have the Big 10 would not leave them on the AAC vine to die.

I agree with you. Regrettably, the B1G does not see UConn as a must have school so the burden is on UConn to redefine how they look to the B1G.
I apologize if this has already been discussed ad nauseum on this board but are the UConn President and Athletic Director promoting what UConn can offer to the B1G? If not, they need to get on it.
Promote how UConn is working toward AAU and already exceeds some metrics of current AAU schools: http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf
Promote the academic rankings enjoyed by UConn: http://uconn.edu/rankings.php
Promote how the brands that are UConn men's and women's basketball will help attain this goal of the B1G especially with respect to competitiveness and television.
“I can’t speak for others, but we’ve been focused on making a home in a new region, making new members feel at home in this region,” Delany said Wednesday. “Everything we’ll do competitively and in television and in bowls is to bring, as quickly as we can, a level of comfort. “The Eastern corridor is the richest corridor in the world from the standpoint of financial institutions, political institutions, media institutions, and we’re new to it. So if we can build relationships, make friends and be impactful and relevant over time, that’s the goal.” http://btn.com/2013/05/15/delany-on-expansion-dead-is-a-strong-word/

Reactions: pj

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I agree with you. Regrettably, the B1G does not see UConn as a must have school so the burden is on UConn to redefine how they look to the B1G.
I apologize if this has already been discussed ad nauseum on this board but are the UConn President and Athletic Director promoting what UConn can offer to the B1G? If not, they need to get on it.
Promote how UConn is working toward AAU and already exceeds some metrics of current AAU schools: http://provost.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/2012-November-7-Department-Head-Presentation.pdf
Promote how the brands that are UConn men's and women's basketball will help attain this goal of the B1G especially with respect to competitiveness and television.
“I can’t speak for others, but we’ve been focused on making a home in a new region, making new members feel at home in this region,” Delany said Wednesday. “Everything we’ll do competitively and in television and in bowls is to bring, as quickly as we can, a level of comfort. “The Eastern corridor is the richest corridor in the world from the standpoint of financial institutions, political institutions, media institutions, and we’re new to it. So if we can build relationships, make friends and be impactful and relevant over time, that’s the goal.” http://btn.com/2013/05/15/delany-on-expansion-dead-is-a-strong-word/
We don't know what they promote behind closed doors (and thus, our constant neurosis)... but publicly, you are off to a great start. haha

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I really hope they start promoting Dairy Bar ice cream at the Rent. After this tough year for UConn, I could use some ice cream.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nobody, but nobody cares about women's sports.

It's value in realignment might actually be less than zero. Dominance there might rub the large southern and midwestern hayseeds in all the wrong ways.

It sure hasn't helped to date.

Reaction Score
Someone buy B1GALUM a lifetime subscription to the BY. Oh wait....well buy him a beer or three.

Good stuff.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
If no one cared about women's sports, ESPN would not be showing as much hoops & softball as they do. As one lucky to have an athletically inclined daughter I know this all too well.

Beyond that, it's going to take a few years to see if CR has a negative effect on Geno's program. Why the Title IX card hasn't been played with The Powers That Be on UConn's behalf is baffling. I guess it's going to take Stanford, Baylor, Tennessee, Notre Dame leaving UConn in the dust to prove it has done real harm.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If no one cared about women's sports, ESPN would not be showing as much hoops & softball as they do. As one lucky to have an athletically inclined daughter I know this all too well.

Beyond that, it's going to take a few years to see if CR has a negative effect on Geno's program. Why the Title IX card hasn't been played with The Powers That Be on UConn's behalf is baffling. I guess it's going to take Stanford, Baylor, Tennessee, Notre Dame leaving UConn in the dust to prove it has done real harm.
Why would it have a negative effect? The Big East sucked balls before UCONN had success and everyone stepped up their game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

....in the context of realignment, no one cares about women's hoop.

Exhibit A - the University of Connecticut.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't matter. (Of course, from our perspective, men's basketball, academics and our television market don't seem to mean much either.)

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
....in the context of realignment, no one cares about women's hoop.

Exhibit A - the University of Connecticut.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't matter. (Of course, from our perspective, men's basketball, academics and our television market don't seem to mean much either.)
Expanding football stadiums for non-existent customers seems to be the ticket. Bridgewater is Ray Rice, let's see how great a coach Strong is when you take away his stud QB. Meanwhile, we will keep running between the tackles on first down if you need us.

Reaction Score
ESPN is contractually obligated to show the amount of women's sports and non-football/basketball men's sports as they do in their contract with the NCAA. This is how the NCAA leverages football and basketball to get the other sports some notoriety.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would Title IX change anything for UConn. It's about access - it's not about what conference schedule is available to a single school. Why would the AAC hurt the women's program anyway?

The Boneyard sometimes is just puzzling: ESPN picks the teams in the ACC and ESPN cares about women's basketball...... How could both of these things be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom