WNBA Rescinds Fines for Wearing BLM Apparel. Coach Geno Comments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Rescinds Fines for Wearing BLM Apparel. Coach Geno Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"New York Liberty President Isiah Thomas said, 'We are also very proud of our players the world is seeing what we already knew. They’re truly incredible, thoughtful and talented individuals. Our league, our partners and our society are better because of our players’ willingness to enter the political and social activism arena.'”

Isiah Thomas has no credibility as a human being and less when it comes to issues that concern Women.

I suppose my point is that if we admire and respect the UConn women basketball players, don't they deserve our attention on this matter that they are telling us is so important to them?
The UCONN women of WNBA had our attention and admiration before this BLM issue came up. What you are seeking is agreement with their stand on BLM- that is a far different thing.

If Coach Auriemma says that he is "really proud of some of my former players and the way they’ve stepped forward and spoken their conscience and express their feelings," are we justified in ignoring them, or censuring any mention of their actions and statements?

Like Geno I’m proud of the players also for speaking their conscience and express their feelings. I have no intention of ignoring them and I would not know how to censure anybody.

After all of the enjoyment they have provided us fans for so many years, are we not obligated to listen respectfully to their points of view?

People have “respectfully listen”. Again you are seeking unconditional agreement with the WNBA player stance on BLM. Please allow room for people to respectfully disagree.

Acknowledging the intense emotions surrounding this issue, don't the Connecticut women's basketball alumnae at the very least deserve a respectful hearing here?

This is a moderated blog, no subject matter is entitled to a “hearing”.[/QUOTE]

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
I wish that sports and political causes would be kept in separate arenas.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is a business. A business that is on a shaky financial footing. I think it is a mistake to allow any type of political expression on the part of the players. It could lead to the loss of fans that might be offended. There are plenty of places to express political viewpoints. The workplace is not one of them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The WNBA is a business. A business that is on a shaky financial footing. I think it is a mistake to allow any type of political expression on the part of the players. It could lead to the loss of fans that might be offended. There are plenty of places to express political viewpoints. The workplace is not one of them.

In their defense, this made the news and stayed in the news mostly due to the actions of others (cops walking out and the WNBA fine). The players didn't really make a big deal out of this, others did.

The best way to let an issue fade away quickly, is to not respond. A lesson I have yet to learn, apparently.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well again ( I brought this up in the other thread that got moved), the fines weren't specifically for BLM or supporting BLM, the fines were for not following (altering) the WNBA uniform guidelines. This happens in most other sports too. NFL is always fining players for stuff way more insignificant than this. The White Sox just suspended their star pitcher for not wearing (actually shredding) his throwback uniform.

So the fines should probably have stuck. The players know the rules, they broke them; for whatever reason. Anybody can make a statement or support something where there are no consequences. Nothing inspiring about that.

Reaction Score
People go toor watch basketball games to get away from all the political bs on tv. I know who I'm going to vote for, I don!t need my senses assaulted 24 hours a day.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I wish that sports and political causes would be kept in separate arenas.

You realize that's political, too, right? It's supportive of whatever the status quo is because silence is acceptance.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The league office's decision to resend those fines is the first step to engaging in meaningful dialog with the player's union, as oppose to the league taking an adversarial position going forward. I agree with temery (above) that this (with the aid of the media) took on a life of its own, that the players really didn't want, need or expect. No doubt that meetings with league officials and representatives from the player's union during the Olympic break can be productive, and a solution can be reached that is agreeable to BOTH sides.

This is a topic that we could debate daily until the regular season starts in November.

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You realize that's political, too, right? It's supportive of whatever the status quo is because silence is acceptance.
Not necessarily. One can play sports and be political, but not combine the two. Granted it may not have as much impact, hence why they tend to combine them.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To say sports is separated by an impenetrable wall from society and social causes is just not true. Nothing exists in a vacuum - all forms of entertainment have people who speak out, as do all businesses, and charities, and unions, and religious organizations, etc. etc. Every segment of society including college and professional sports use lobby efforts and public relations firms to influence political and societal causes.

Because the WNBA and their players are in a more precarious position financially than many of these other segments does not mean they should be silenced. People on here did not have an issue with Breanna's acceptance speech when she talked about respect and equality for women, which is also a 'political' stance - no one here, though many on other blogs did, said she should just shut up and be thankful for her crumbs.

I understand there are causes that are more controversial than others, and I personally do make some of my purchasing decisions based on political stances taken by corporations, some of my entertainment choices based on my impression of the quality of human being I perceive. So yes, I imagine some people may make financial decisions about attending games based on player activism, but I suspect the opposite is true as well.

Reaction Score
Not only WNBA players, but NBA players have taken a stand on political issues of late. And both leagues have also taken stands on social issues. I pointed out that the NBA just retracted permission for Charlotte to host the all-star game due to its workplace discrimination law. The NFL has also raised questions about state laws regarding discrimination.

No one is demanding agreement on this issue. But I believe that UConn alumnae are asking their fans to consider their feelings on this. They, and NBA players, are saying that they understand that they might lose some fans, that some might turn against them. Even so, they are saying that they want their positions to be considered.

This issue is not likely to go away anytime soon. As I've pointed out, Tina Charles has said that she will use the Olympics as an opportunity to meet with players from other WNBA teams in order to plan further actions. So this is likely to be back in the news in the near future. Coach Auriemma has expressed admiration for his former players. He has pointed out that taking actions during the Olympics like those by WNBA players recently would be very sensitive.

It's true that in most cases sports are just sports. But then there are the times when athletes are involved in issues that transcend sports. This will be back in the news soon, I would guess. And instead of moving the concerns regarding this issue to a board titled "cesspool," I think we should respect the opinions of these athletes and give their views consideration. It doesn't mean that everyone, or anyone, must agree with them. But perhaps we should listen to what they have to say.

I have attempted to keep to the reporting on this, and to help fellow UConn fans (I've been one for nearly two decades) to be aware of our athletes' feelings on this. While Isaiah Thomas is certainly a controversial figure, Coach Auriemma is not, at least amongst us. Let's listen and respond with moderation and respect.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Several times now you have chided us for NOT listening.

But perhaps we should listen to what they have to say.
Let's listen and respond with moderation and respect.
They are asking us to listen to them.
Perhaps it makes sense to listen to Swin Cash.
After all of the enjoyment they have provided us fans for so many years, are we not obligated to listen respectfully to their points of view?

Are you listening, when we say that we are and have been ?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nicely put Fairfield Fan. And I agree.
I don't agree with anyone all the time, but I am willing to listen. And I realize that my life experience is vastly different from large swathes of 'my fellow americans' - being male, I cannot fully grasp what females experience but I can try to understand. Being white, I cannot fully grasp what people of color experience, but I can try to understand. Being from a tenth or so generation immigrant family, I cannot fully grasp what first and second generation americans experience. Growing up middle class, I cannot fully understand what those in real poverty experience. Being born and raised in rural New England, I cannot fully understand the experience of either big city kids or kids from the farm belt or the deep south or the south west or ... But if I try to understand we can have a dialog if those with these numerous different experiences are willing to discuss issues that are shaped by their backgrounds.

I truly believe in the current instance, that is what these players are trying to do, and what the BLM movement was created to do. That some on both sides of the issue have decided to shout instead of listen, is not their fault and I do believe that they have succeeded in creating a level of discussion that is a positive result amid the violence. In a polarized political environment almost any issue will be treated by angry voices on the fringe of both sides that attempt to drown out that discussion. If we want to advance as a society, the majority in the middle on both sides need to try to ignore the noise and have reasoned dialog.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
BLM= Bowel-Like Movements? That'd make for a t-shirt I am personally opposed to!

Reaction Score
I have to disagree, the wearing of the T-hirts was what inspired your post-therefore the public discourse has been advanced-thankfully.
We are discussing their action and the rescinding of the fine. Far different is a discussion the interaction between police and the black community. We have the former and none of the latter.

Reaction Score
Nicely put Fairfield Fan. And I agree.
I don't agree with anyone all the time, but I am willing to listen. And I realize that my life experience is vastly different from large swathes of 'my fellow americans' - being male, I cannot fully grasp what females experience but I can try to understand. Being white, I cannot fully grasp what people of color experience, but I can try to understand. Being from a tenth or so generation immigrant family, I cannot fully grasp what first and second generation americans experience. Growing up middle class, I cannot fully understand what those in real poverty experience. Being born and raised in rural New England, I cannot fully understand the experience of either big city kids or kids from the farm belt or the deep south or the south west or ... But if I try to understand we can have a dialog if those with these numerous different experiences are willing to discuss issues that are shaped by their backgrounds.

I truly believe in the current instance, that is what these players are trying to do, and what the BLM movement was created to do. That some on both sides of the issue have decided to shout instead of listen, is not their fault and I do believe that they have succeeded in creating a level of discussion that is a positive result amid the violence. In a polarized political environment almost any issue will be treated by angry voices on the fringe of both sides that attempt to drown out that discussion. If we want to advance as a society, the majority in the middle on both sides need to try to ignore the noise and have reasoned dialog.

Thank you for your sentiments. You know, today while I was waiting in a doctor's office, I saw a copy of Sports Illustrated that had a photo of Muhammed Ali with the title: The Greatest. It recounted how he was demonized in 1965 when he refused induction into the military. He was against the Vietnam War, long before the war became so unpopular. He infuriated many fans and a wider swath of Americans for saying, "No Viet Cong ever called me (the "n" word). He was sentenced to five years in prison, and the boxing authorities stripped him of his heavyweight title.

Yet some years later, people came to respect him again, and by the end of his life, he was lionized as "The Greatest," as well as a great figure in the African-American community.

I wonder whether, some years from now, Tina Charles won't also be lionized as a leader in her era for taking a stand on these difficult issues, in the process putting her professional basketball career in jeopardy.

Let's be patient and listen.

Reaction Score
Kemba speaks out in Players Tribune. Gives props to MJ (his boss), the NBA for taking a stand against North Carolina (his team's state - Hornets would have hosted the All Star Game), and his fellow UCONN alums: Sue, Swin, Tina, Maya, Kiah, Diana.

How I Can Help | By Kemba Walker

Reaction Score
Maya Moore comments (Additional Quotes: USA National Team 88, USA Select Team 84 (7/25/16)):

"On Michael Jordan stepping forward, joining the fight that you guys started and providing a $2 million grant in the Black Lives Matter discussion (quote from the USA Basketball article):

"I can’t speak to how much that means in terms of leading with action. For someone of his caliber does something with their heart like that, as well as with their pocket book, it’s just inspiring to so many people and encouraging to so many people, especially to the communities that will benefit from his financial gift, the communities where that gift will make an impact and provide some of the resources to do some of the things we’re talking about doing like education and coming together. His backing is great. This is a great moment to continue the conversation and I’m happy to see his involvement for sure."

Geno Auriemma:

"I’m old enough to have lived through the late ‘60s and it was really bad. I think because of athletes and the tremendous amount of criticism that they took in the late ‘60s for speaking up – I think there developed a sense of, you know, I’m going to do my part, I want to play. I’m going to do what I’m going to do and try to set example by how hard I work or by the commitment that I have or whatever. But I think there was a real tendency from everybody to just shy away from anything that was controversial. I think as you get older you gain some perspective. You start to realize that 1968 not a long time ago, but that’s a long time. We shouldn’t be dealing with the issues that we’re dealing with. I can’t speak for Michael Jordan, but I think there comes a time as you get older and your kids get a little bit older, as his boys have, you start to see things in a different light. Regardless of his reasons, Muhammad Ali went to jail for what he said and what he did. Most athletes don’t have that. Most people don’t have that. But when people like Michael say the things that they said, it’s way more powerful than anyone else can say."

And Diana Taurasi:

"I mean we’re in a generation where – I can’t speak for the sixties. But I can speak for my generation of people of my last 15 years from going to college, from being a professional athlete now for 12-13 years. I think what you see now is people with an opinion and they’re not afraid. And for a long time, I think people were afraid to say anything if you wore a jersey of any kind – baseball, basketball, soccer – that maybe you didn’t earn the right to have an opinion. This country is about having an opinion. And I’m proud of the people who have stepped up in our league, in any sport, in any realm, it doesn’t have to be an athlete. It takes a citizen of this country to step up and speak up when something is not right. I think that shows a lot of courage. Looking at it from the outside and now being a part of it, you do feel a sense of pride. The only way things change is by people talking about it and then putting it to action. So I think it’s something that needs to continue. And as much as we need dialogue, we need actual change. The only way to change things is to systematically change things, not just talk about it and politicize it or give a speech about it. And that’s up to the people we elect in this country. I’m sure it’s not easy because that is a tangled web. But our generation is trying to move it forward, and for that, I think a lot of people deserve a lot of credit."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom