WNBA Rescinds Fines for Wearing BLM Apparel. Coach Geno Comments | The Boneyard

WNBA Rescinds Fines for Wearing BLM Apparel. Coach Geno Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
WNBA withdraws fines for teams that wore black warmup shirts

The New Haven Register has published an AP story reporting that the WNBA has rescinded its fine on all players involved in wearing Black Lives Mater slogans on their uniforms. According to the article, WNBA President Lisa Borders said in a statement Saturday that,

“While we expect players to comply with league rules and uniform guidelines, we also understand their desire to use their platform to address important societal issues. Given that the league will now be suspending play until Aug. 26 for the Olympics, we plan to use this time to work with our players and their union on ways for the players to make their views known to their fans and the public.”

"This afternoon, during a media teleconference, USA Basketball women’s national team coach Geno Auriemma also addressed the controversy and how it might play out during the Olympics":

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...nt-know-what-the-basis-is-for-the-wnba-fines/

"I respect Tina and the players in the WNBA for their concern and their voices and the passion that they have and for their beliefs. I really do. I’m really proud of some of my former players and the way they’ve stepped forward and spoken their conscience and express their feelings. I really believe that.

"I don’t know what the basis is for the WNBA fines. I haven’t read their side of it. I assume that showing that kind of concern is fine from what I could tell and going through it, and I don’t know if the issue is the fact that the players want to continue doing it every single game. I don’t know what the issue is.

"As far as USA Basketball is concerned, you know, that’s a very delicate subject. Obviously each player has an opportunity to be who they want and say what they feel, but at the same time, you are representing the United States of America, and you are part of the Olympic team. So somewhere — it’s a delicate, I think, question, and I’m sure it’ll come up, and we’ll have to deal with it. Not me per se, but Carol and the USA Basketball and the USOC, the Olympic committee. I really can’t — so far I have not heard anything or any talk about that.”

Reaction Score
WNBA withdraws fines for teams that wore black warmup shirts

The New Haven Register has published an AP story reporting that the WNBA has rescinded its fine on all players involved in wearing Black Lives Mater slogans on their uniforms. According to the article, WNBA President Lisa Borders said in a statement Saturday that,

“While we expect players to comply with league rules and uniform guidelines, we also understand their desire to use their platform to address important societal issues. Given that the league will now be suspending play until Aug. 26 for the Olympics, we plan to use this time to work with our players and their union on ways for the players to make their views known to their fans and the public.”

"This afternoon, during a media teleconference, USA Basketball women’s national team coach Geno Auriemma also addressed the controversy and how it might play out during the Olympics":

Geno Auriemma on WNBA fining players for social activism t-shirts: “I don’t know what the basis is for the WNBA fines”

"I respect Tina and the players in the WNBA for their concern and their voices and the passion that they have and for their beliefs. I really do. I’m really proud of some of my former players and the way they’ve stepped forward and spoken their conscience and express their feelings. I really believe that.

"I don’t know what the basis is for the WNBA fines. I haven’t read their side of it. I assume that showing that kind of concern is fine from what I could tell and going through it, and I don’t know if the issue is the fact that the players want to continue doing it every single game. I don’t know what the issue is.

"As far as USA Basketball is concerned, you know, that’s a very delicate subject. Obviously each player has an opportunity to be who they want and say what they feel, but at the same time, you are representing the United States of America, and you are part of the Olympic team. So somewhere — it’s a delicate, I think, question, and I’m sure it’ll come up, and we’ll have to deal with it. Not me per se, but Carol and the USA Basketball and the USOC, the Olympic committee. I really can’t — so far I have not heard anything or any talk about that.”

I too respect players desires to speak out on social issues but this is not appropriate or fair at all! There is a huge problem when you go down this road! Where does it end? Suppose someone wants to wear an anti-abortion shirt, a pro-abortion shirt, a free Tibet shirt, or any number of heartfelt political causes. Will the league be OK with that? Of course not! This is just another example of political expediency by weak, cynical, and imo, not very smart people who seem to be unable to comprehend that there are consequences to their actions that should be thought about beforehand not after! As far as I know, players can already make their views known to their fans. That is considerably different from using the WNBA as a medium for those views, which is what is happening here! [mod edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
The prior thread on this subject ended up moved to another board. Although keeping this one here will be challenging, let's at least outline a path by which it could stay.

At its inception, the thread invokes players using their platform as "celebrities" (of whatever degree) to express their views on societal issues. This is a longstanding phenomenon.

1968_Olympics.jpg

Whether one (a) admires the player's courage or (b) considers the gesture an unwarranted imposition seems to depend largely on one's attitude toward the underlying cause.

In this case, the thread debuts as on-topic. Women's basketball players, UConn alum(s) prominent, comments by Geno. Relevant enough to land on the sports pages.

The mod edit in the preceding post removed comments specific to whether BLM is a good or bad movement in the opinion of the poster.

That sort of comment will rapidly morph the thread into a politically tinged slugfest -- less focused on the topic of athletes' public expression of personal views and more focused on posters' own (and contentious) attitudes toward the particular cause or advocacy group supported by the players.

BLM is a hot political topic right now for obvious reasons. So keeping the thread here may have a high degree of difficulty, but let's see how it goes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Speaking one's social conscience also implies a willingness to accept the consequences. Muhammed Ali did this and accepted losing years in the middle of his career. It is also the right of others to limit the use of private forums applying consequences as they see fit under the law. I expect the women of the WNBA are intelligent and informed enough to understand this.

Reaction Score
IMO, the WNBA and other leagues opened this door when they started promoting causes, such as the pink for breast cancer. Hard to argue with the cause, but it is a "cause" not associated directly with playing BB.
I think part of the disconnect here comes from the viewpoint of what is a "political" or "controversial" cause. To many of the young women, BLM is simply trying to point out inequities in the way society and law enforcement view the loss of life of black citizens. To them it is not anti-police (except for those who abuse their power). It is social justice. Unfortunately, BLM has become associated with the fringe elements who are violent and anti-police and that is all some see the movement as.

I think perhaps the league needs a policy (which they appear to be working on) to allow some freedom of expression without making the sport a forum for political or social views or making teammates uncomfortable with differing views. Perhaps allowing some small symbol on the warmups for causes not overtly political.

Reaction Score
The prior thread on this subject ended up moved to another board. Although keeping this one here will be challenging, let's at least outline a path by which it could stay.

At its inception, the thread invokes players using their platform as "celebrities" (of whatever degree) to express their views on societal issues. This is a longstanding phenomenon.

1968_Olympics.jpg

Whether one (a) admires the player's courage or (b) considers the gesture an unwarranted imposition seems to depend largely on one's attitude toward the underlying cause.

In this case, the thread debuts as on-topic. Women's basketball players, UConn alum(s) prominent, comments by Geno. Relevant enough to land on the sports pages.

The mod edit in the preceding post removed comments specific to whether BLM is a good or bad movement in the opinion of the poster.

That sort of comment will rapidly morph the thread into a politically tinged slugfest -- less focused on the topic of athletes' public expression of personal views and more focused on posters' own (and contentious) attitudes toward the particular cause or advocacy group supported by the players.

BLM is a hot political topic right now for obvious reasons. So keeping the thread here may have a high degree of difficulty, but let's see how it goes.

I respect JS's sensitivities on this issue, and the questioning of others as to whether or not it is a proper topic for this board. I also understand how controversial this issue is for so many people. But I would point out that the Boneyard is a site where people congregate who are ardent fans of University of Connecticut women's basketball, who admire the women's game, and who respect not just the accomplishments of the UConn team, but also the dignity and grace with which their head and assistant coaches win, and the dignity and grace and accomplishments of the women athletes themselves. I admire these young women not only for their athletic prowess, but the way they conduct themselves, and how they set examples for so many in the way they win.

But these women are telling us that they feel very strongly about a social issue. They are asking us to listen to them. And let's be clear that the leaders of this movement in the WNBA appear to include many Connecticut alumnae, including several of the finest players ever to put on Connecticut uniforms. The three teams originally fined all included Connecticut alumnae: New York, Minnesota, and Phoenix. And, according to the article in New Haven Register (WNBA withdraws fines for teams that wore black warmup shirts), Washington, another team with UConn alumnae, was also beginning to join in: "Washington Mystics players had shirts saying “Black Lives Matters” in the locker room after their game Friday night. Seattle Storm and Minnesota Lynx players tweeted out pictures of their teams wearing black shirts featuring a Martin Luther King Jr. quote before their game. They didn’t wear those shirts on the court to avoid getting fined."

Let's understand that in addition to Coach Auriemma expressing his respect for his former players in this matter, "New York Liberty President Isiah Thomas said, 'We are also very proud of our players the world is seeing what we already knew. They’re truly incredible, thoughtful and talented individuals. Our league, our partners and our society are better because of our players’ willingness to enter the political and social activism arena.'”

I suppose my point is that if we admire and respect the UConn women basketball players, don't they deserve our attention on this matter that they are telling us is so important to them? If Coach Auriemma says that he is "really proud of some of my former players and the way they’ve stepped forward and spoken their conscience and express their feelings," are we justified in ignoring them, or censuring any mention of their actions and statements? After all of the enjoyment they have provided us fans for so many years, are we not obligated to listen respectfully to their points of view?

Acknowledging the intense emotions surrounding this issue, don't the Connecticut women's basketball alumnae at the very least deserve a respectful hearing here?

Reaction Score
What happens to a player(s) who doesn't have the same view as the rest of the team? Suppose they want to wear a blue lives matter or all lives matter, but feel intimidated to do so.

It is opening a can of worms.

Reaction Score
I respect JS's sensitivities on this issue, and the questioning of others as to whether or not it is a proper topic for this board. I also understand how controversial this issue is for so many people. But I would point out that the Boneyard is a site where people congregate who are ardent fans of University of Connecticut women's basketball, who admire the women's game, and who respect not just the accomplishments of the UConn team, but also the dignity and grace with which their head and assistant coaches win, and the dignity and grace and accomplishments of the women athletes themselves. I admire these young women not only for their athletic prowess, but the way they conduct themselves, and how they set examples for so many in the way they win.

But these women are telling us that they feel very strongly about a social issue. They are asking us to listen to them. And let's be clear that the leaders of this movement in the WNBA appear to include many Connecticut alumnae, including several of the finest players ever to put on Connecticut uniforms. The three teams originally fined all included Connecticut alumnae: New York, Minnesota, and Phoenix. And, according to the article in New Haven Register (WNBA withdraws fines for teams that wore black warmup shirts), Washington, another team with UConn alumnae, was also beginning to join in: "Washington Mystics players had shirts saying “Black Lives Matters” in the locker room after their game Friday night. Seattle Storm and Minnesota Lynx players tweeted out pictures of their teams wearing black shirts featuring a Martin Luther King Jr. quote before their game. They didn’t wear those shirts on the court to avoid getting fined."

Let's understand that in addition to Coach Auriemma expressing his respect for his former players in this matter, "New York Liberty President Isiah Thomas said, 'We are also very proud of our players the world is seeing what we already knew. They’re truly incredible, thoughtful and talented individuals. Our league, our partners and our society are better because of our players’ willingness to enter the political and social activism arena.'”

I suppose my point is that if we admire and respect the UConn women basketball players, don't they deserve our attention on this matter that they are telling us is so important to them? If Coach Auriemma says that he is "really proud of some of my former players and the way they’ve stepped forward and spoken their conscience and express their feelings," are we justified in ignoring them, or censuring any mention of their actions and statements? After all of the enjoyment they have provided us fans for so many years, are we not obligated to listen respectfully to their points of view?

Acknowledging the intense emotions surrounding this issue, don't the Connecticut women's basketball alumnae at the very least deserve a respectful hearing here?
I am very willing to listen to their views. What I am not willing to do is watch them break league rules, watch the WNBA cave to political pressure and alter their rules mid flight, and then have these actions excused. I would be happy to have them call a press conference and discuss their views on how we as a country solve one of our major social issues. Wearing those shirts did not advance our public discourse on this matter one iota.

Reaction Score
Perhaps it makes sense to listen to Swin Cash. She stated ((These WNBA players were fined for shirts supporting Black Lives Matter—and they're not going to take it):

"'We really would appreciate that people stop making our support of Black Lives Matter, an issue that is so critical in our society right now, as us not supporting the police officers. There's a lot of women in this room right now, and in the WNBA, that have family members who are in law enforcement, family who are in the military...The fact of the matter is, there is an issue at hand is, and as much as we can grieve and feel sorry for those families who are losing those police officers, we also have the right and the ability to also have our voice be heard about an issue that goes back even further than the deaths that have been happening lately. And so I think people need to understand that it's not mutually exclusive. You also can support both things, but at the same time, this issue is important to us.'”

The publication pointed out that, "For one game, the Liberty's shirts included hashtags for #blacklivesmatter and #Dallas5—recognizing the five police officers slain in Dallas."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it gets into all sorts of issues - the league chooses many causes that they support and expects all players to alter their uniforms to comply with those causes which might not jibe with their personal feelings, the teams themselves choose advertising partners and place their corporate logos on the teams uniforms for corporations whose products or political activism of their boards/owners may be anathema to some of the players and/or their fans. And the arenas they play in are mostly now carrying the name of some corporate sponsor and sell advertising space and exclusive product sale to other corporations/political causes. So the idea that there is something sacrosanct about the uniform, or that there are no other 'political' or 'causal' statements being made is not true and that those conform to all players' personal feelings.

So when the players themselves choose to make statements in a respectful way about causes important to themselves I do not see an issue with this - they did not alter their uniform, they made sure that they maintained the corporate affiliation for the clothing they chose to wear as their warm-up shirt. The league made a determination that it fell outside their rules, the players made a determination that they felt this was unfair and took a form of action to express their displeasure that followed the guidelines of appearing for post game interviews but refusing to answer questions about the game (like various NFL players and coaches have done), and the two sides have now agreed to sit down and discuss how to resolve the matter. And the league wisely decided to rescind their fines to defuse tension in those talks. I think they have all behaved as adults so far.

I do agree that there is a significant difference between professional sports and national team competition, but lets not pretend that participation in international competition has not been politicized in the past as well. Boycotts of various competitions and banning from competition for nations have been for political causes. Individual athletes have been dropped from competition for political reasons as well - see 1936 jewish sprinter as an example. I do think individual athletes have a greater responsibility to conform to certain norms in national competitions, but if they feel strongly enough and are willing to accept the consequences ...

Reaction Score
I am very willing to listen to their views. What I am not willing to do is watch them break league rules, watch the WNBA cave to political pressure and alter their rules mid flight, and then have these actions excused. I would be happy to have them call a press conference and discuss their views on how we as a country solve one of our major social issues. Wearing those shirts did not advance our public discourse on this matter one iota.

That is an interesting point. It turns out that the WNBA players were treated differently by their league than were NBA male players by that league, even though the WNBA is operated by the NBA:

"The WNBA's decision to fine the women was met with criticism, especially given that NBA players led by New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony and other superstars have been calling for renewed social activism among pro athletes. After the 2014 death of Eric Garner, who died after a police officer put him in a choke hold in Staten Island, New York, superstars Lebron James, Derrick Rose, and Kyrie Irving, and members of the Brooklyn Nets, wore "I Can't Breathe" shirts during warmups—no one got a fine. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver supported the players while noting that he preferred they "abide by our on-court attire rules."

Indeed, Mother Jones pointed out that the NBA just cancelled Charlotte, North Carolina's hosting of the NBA all-star game over that state's workplace discrimination and transgender bathroom law. So it's not as if social issues do not impact the actions and decisions of pro leagues.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What happens to a player(s) who doesn't have the same view as the rest of the team? Suppose they want to wear a blue lives matter or all lives matter, but feel intimidated to do so.

My guess is the fines kept this in the news for longer than it would have been otherwise. Likely not their intent, but that seems to be the result, regardless.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That is an interesting point. It turns out that the WNBA players were treated differently by their league than were NBA male players by that league, even though the WNBA is operated by the NBA:

The men didn't sit at the table after a game, and refuse to answer any questions that didn't deal with the topic in which they were protesting. It's not about the shirts. Not really. It's about the hijacking of a post game interview of players.

I like the fact they did it once - they are young, and I like to see kids stand for something. Continuing to do so (hijack the post game press conference) - Not so much.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The men didn't sit at the table after a game, and refuse to answer any questions that didn't deal with the topic in which they were protesting. It's not about the shirts. Not really. It's about the hijacking of a post game interview of players.
But the men hadn't first been fined. The women complied with the rules to be available for the media but like certain male athletes, they chose a form of protest that conformed to the letter of the league rules but made their point clearly, specifically in reaction to the fines they had received.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
But the men hadn't first been fined. The women complied with the rules to be available for the media but like certain male athletes, they chose a form of protest that conformed to the letter of the league rules but made their point clearly, specifically in reaction to the fines they had received.

As I understand it, they hijacked the post game press conference, and said they'd only answer questions related to their protest. This was before the fine.

Reaction Score

I like the fact they did it once - they are young, and I like to see kids stand for something. Continuing to do so (hijack the post game press conference) - Not so much.

But it appears as though these players are not going to let the issue die down. Here's UConn alumna Tina Charles:

"You know, just knowing my status, knowing the player I am representing this organization, if anybody was going to wear it, it had to be me. So for me, it's just all about me continuing to raise awareness. I have no problem wearing this shirt inside out for the rest of the season until we're able to have the WNBA support."

On Instagram, Charles wrote (Black Lives Matter: Liberty players stage media postgame blackout):

"My teammates and I will continue to use our platform and raise awareness for the #BlackLivesMatter movement until the @wnba gives its support as it does for Breast Cancer Awareness, Pride and other subject matters."

The Hartford Courant also reported Tina Charles' intentions regarding this issue during the Olympics (WNBA Fines Players For Protest; Tina Charles: 'I Knew I Couldn't Be Silent'):

"Charles is looking forward to discussing future actions at the Olympics, where she'll have a chance to talk with her teammates on the women's national team and NBA players on the U.S. men's team. There are four other former UConn players on the women's national team: Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi.

"'Being able to see how they feel and what they want to do, coming collectively together,' Charles said. 'Seeing the other 11 WNBA teams, how we basically just did a media blackout, if they are up for doing the same thing.'"

Reaction Score
Coach Auriemma has made new comments on this issue, particularly Tina Charles' leadership. This from Hartford Courant(WNBA Fines Players For Protest; Tina Charles: 'I Knew I Couldn't Be Silent'):

"UConn coach Geno Auriemma, whose U.S. Olympic team will begin practicing Saturday in Los Angeles, said he is proud of Charles.

"'Part of being a leader, part of being someone that can carry your team to a championship, which I know Tina really, really wants to do because she hasn't, is being vocal and inspiring your teammates,' Auriemma said. 'She's doing that. She's doing it on and off the court. It's one thing for athletes, or anybody else, to say things. It's easy. Coaches, athletes, we have a forum. We have [the media] asking us questions. So it's easy for us to say things and stand up for things.

"'Having said those things, then the actions speak way louder than whatever your comments are. So it's one thing for Tina to say, 'I want this or I want to stand up for this.' But I think when you see her actions and you see what she does, that's a more powerful statement than anything that she might say.'"

Reaction Score
As I understand it, they hijacked the post game press conference, and said they'd only answer questions related to their protest. This was before the fine.

The New York Times seems to suggest that the fines came before, and led to, the post-game press conference actions (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/s...s-shirts-police-shootings.html?ref=basketball):

"The fines seemed to galvanize the players, who used postgame interviews and social media to voice their displeasure. The Liberty wore the plain black shirts four times, and after the fines were imposed, Tina Charles wore her warm-up shirt inside-out."

Reaction Score

Just a few days ago, a group of some of the best players in the NBA, Carmelo Anthony joined fellow NBA stars Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade and LeBron James, began the ESPY Awards ceremony with statements on violence (Carmelo Anthony, other NBA stars call for change at ESPYs: 'The system is broken'):

"'Good evening,' said Anthony, a former Towson Catholic standout and current forward for the New York Knicks. 'Tonight is a celebration of sports, celebrating our accomplishments and our victories. But in this moment of celebration, we have to start the show tonight this way, the four of us talking to our fellow athletes with the country watching. Because we cannot ignore the realities of the current state of America. The events of the past week have put a spotlight on the injustice, distrust and anger that plague so many of us. The system is broken. The problems are not new. The violence is not new. And the racial divide definitely is not new. But the urgency to create change is at an all-time high."

Reaction Score
I too respect players desires to speak out on social issues but this is not appropriate or fair at all! There is a huge problem when you go down this road! Where does it end? Suppose someone wants to wear an anti-abortion shirt, a pro-abortion shirt, a free Tibet shirt, or any number of heartfelt political causes. Will the league be OK with that? Of course not! This is just another example of political expediency by weak, cynical, and imo, not very smart people who seem to be unable to comprehend that there are consequences to their actions that should be thought about beforehand not after! As far as I know, players can already make their views known to their fans. That is considerably different from using the WNBA as a medium for those views, which is what is happening here! [mod edit]

CUAN; " Really, really, really" well said. Have not read the rest of posts yet and might not as it would be hard for me to imagine one being any more on target than yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Speaking one's social conscience also implies a willingness to accept the consequences. Muhammed Ali did this and accepted losing years in the middle of his career. It is also the right of others to limit the use of private forums applying consequences as they see fit under the law. I expect the women of the WNBA are intelligent and informed enough to understand this.
Right. The athletes in JS's picture - Tommie Smith and John Carlos - were immediately ordered off the US Olympic team by the International Olympic Committee and banned from the Olympic village in Mexico City. When the USOC came to their support, they were given the choice of sending Smith and Carlos home or getting the whole US Olympic team banned. So the USOC backed down withdrew their support of the 2 athletes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Then they don't do it. Before a TEAM decides to something of this nature (or anything else), they have a team meeting to discuss whether or not everyone feels it's do-able, and if EVERYONE is on board with it. If it's done, it's done as a TEAM. If one or more members of the team doesn't think it's a good idea, or wishes not to participate, then they don't do it. NO intimidation necessary here. Team chemistry is always more important than making social statements. Players respect each other's opinions, views and feelings. No hard feelings either way. They (players/coaches) aren't going to do anything to disrupt team chemistry.

A matter like this if not handled intelligently, respectfully and with a large degree of sensitivity, could shatter their chemistry for the rest of the year. If the players collectively decide to make a social statement, they do it as a TEAM, not as individuals. All team members wear a shirt, or no one does. Most teams HAVE NOT made a statement yet. This may be because not everyone was on board with the idea, platform or message they wanted to convey. I would imagine the coaching staff backs the decisions of the TEAM (in most cases) in these matters for obvious reasons. When the Lynx and the Liberty made their team statements, they had the full endorsement of their coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom