WNBA Attendance to Date

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Data pulled from published box scores.

Average attendance for all regular season games: 6,389

Top home averages: LA-12,351; Minny-9,899; Phoenix-9,155

Bottom home averages: Atlanta-3,790; NY- 3,682*; Indy- 5,241
*NY drew 7,215 to their last game (Phoenix). Maybe folks just figured out how to get there.​

Sun home average- 6,017

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Average Attendance: 6,389

Top: LA-12,351; Minny-9,899; Phoenix-9,155

Bottom: Atlanta-3,790; NY- 3,682*; Indy- 5,241
*NY drew 7,215 to their last game (Phoenix). Maybe folks just figured out how to get there.​

Sun- 6,017

NY's last game was at MSG rather than in Westchester where they are playing most of their games. Hence the larger attendance.

Atlanta's attendance is disappointing. That team is not so bad. I understand NY because of the venue they're playing in this year.

No surprise the top attendance teams are all strong teams with star power.

I've been a little disappointed with Chicago's attendance but the changeover from Allstate Arena (in northwest suburban Rosemont) to Wintrust (downtown in South Loop) is going to cause some fan turnover. Fans that live near Allstate now have a lengthy drive to get to games and may not follow the team. Hopefully in time new fans who live downtown will replace them. Hard to expect much in terms of attendance from a mediocre team without a marquee star, though.

Last edited:

psconn

Reaction Score
NY's last game was at MSG rather than in Westchester where they are playing most of there games. Hence the larger attendance.
OK, that makes sence. That also means they averaged just 1,915 in Westchester... wow.

Reaction Score
I would think the attendance will go up as the year goes along and the games become more important, but they have a long way to go to get to the average of 7,655 of last year. I really think that some of the ad campaigns turn people off. They should keep their advertising about basketball and great athleticism. How about Elena Delle Donne whipping some guys butt on the court? That would be a great ad. Or Sylvia Fowles, Tina Charles, and Skylar Diggins involved in a pick up game at a playground? Skylar asks the players on the court if her and her friends can play a game. The guys laugh and then Sylvia and Tina walk up. Their smiles drop and the women proceed to take them apart. Something like that would emphasize what should be emphasized, that these women do great things.

Reaction Score
Washington has a sellout today....20,000+

There is a post-game viewing party of the Stanley Cup.

Reaction Score
Atlanta is playing at Georgia Tech, not in Atlanta. I think that has something to do with it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Atlanta is playing at Georgia Tech, not in Atlanta. I think that has something to do with it.

Well Tech is in Atlanta... Just not as accessible of a location as Philips Arena is. I assume Philips will be completely done by next season... Hopefully the attendance will rebound.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Georgia Tech is right in the heart of Atlanta. That may be the problem

Philips has a Marta stop... .. Techs arena doesn't.... I'm not sure where the majority of the dream fans come from... But fighting 75/85 traffic to get to a game isn't ideal....especially when u are used to taking Marta

Reaction Score
I would think the attendance will go up as the year goes along and the games become more important, but they have a long way to go to get to the average of 7,655 of last year. I really think that some of the ad campaigns turn people off. They should keep their advertising about basketball and great athleticism. How about Elena Delle Donne whipping some guys butt on the court? That would be a great ad. Or Sylvia Fowles, Tina Charles, and Skylar Diggins involved in a pick up game at a playground? Skylar asks the players on the court if her and her friends can play a game. The guys laugh and then Sylvia and Tina walk up. Their smiles drop and the women proceed to take them apart. Something like that would emphasize what should be emphasized, that these women do great things.
I can only speak for me so I will. I am turned off by all the feminist propaganda and i.e. Planned Parenthood stuff pushed down fans throat. I don’t watch or read or follow the woman’s game to hear about that. I follow the game for entertainment. The promotional campaigns are influencing me to watch less instead of more. Males are a big part of the fan base.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Philips has a Marta stop... .. Techs arena doesn't.... I'm not sure where the majority of the dream fans come from... But fighting 75/85 traffic to get to a game isn't ideal....especially when u are used to taking Marta

It's like a 7 or 8 minute walk from the nearest MARTA stop to Tech's arena. I went to a game there last season. Edit: it's 6 blocks from the Midtown MARTA Station. Only in the South would people say that's too far. Not ragging on you, TDD, because you're right.

Reaction Score
It's like a 7 or 8 minute walk from the nearest MARTA stop to Tech's arena. I went to a game there last season.
I used to live in Atlanta and I think you’re right about Tech’s arena. Even though it’s on the outer edge of Tech’s campus I wouldn’t want to have to walk anywhere around there after dark. Can’t see suburbanite families showing up. Arena is kind of hidden too. That franchise needed to move 3 years ago. ATL not a good market for WNBA. It’s a funny market. Angel. as good as she is/was had turned fans off with her attitude several years ago. Shoni sparked interest a bit but she had her own issues. Four years ago I attended games at Phillips and stopped due to Angel’s on court attitude. Lost interest and started following the league two years later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I used to live in Atlanta and I think you’re right about Tech’s arena. Even though it’s on the outer edge of Tech’s campus I wouldn’t want to have to walk anywhere around there after dark. Can’t see suburbanite families showing up. Arena is kind of hidden too. That franchise needed to move 3 years ago. ATL not a good market for WNBA. It’s a funny market. Angel. as good as she is/was had turned fans off with her attitude several years ago. Shoni sparked interest a bit but she had her own issues. Four years ago I attended games at Phillips and stopped due to Angel’s on court attitude. Lost interest and started following the league two years later.
I am going to a game there later in the month. Didn't realize I should be concerned about the environment. Thanks for speaking about this. I'll keep my head up.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's like a 7 or 8 minute walk from the nearest MARTA stop to Tech's arena. I went to a game there last season. Edit: it's 6 blocks from the Midtown MARTA Station. Only in the South would people say that's too far. Not ragging on you, TDD, because you're right.

Guilty as charged.... :oops:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Average Attendance: 6,389

Top: LA-12,351; Minny-9,899; Phoenix-9,155

Bottom: Atlanta-3,790; NY- 3,682*; Indy- 5,241

Sun- 6,017

The Lynx had 13,032 for its home opener against the Sparks.

psconn

Reaction Score
The Lynx had 13,032 for its home opener against the Sparks.

Yes, that was the 2nd highest single game attendance mark. The highest single game was Lynx @ Sparks with 13,500. The "tops" and "bottoms" listed in my original post are averages for the teams cited.

psconn

Reaction Score
Yes, that was the 2nd highest single game attendance mark. The highest single game was Lynx @ Sparks with 13,500. The "tops" and "bottoms" listed in my original post are averages for the teams cited.

Liberty welcomed the WNBA's top ranked team and regional rival Connecticut Sun with 1,581 fans. :(

Reaction Score
NY's last game was at MSG rather than in Westchester where they are playing most of their games. Hence the larger attendance.

Atlanta's attendance is disappointing. That team is not so bad. I understand NY because of the venue they're playing in this year.

No surprise the top attendance teams are all strong teams with star power.

I've been a little disappointed with Chicago's attendance but the changeover from Allstate Arena (in northwest suburban Rosemont) to Wintrust (downtown in South Loop) is going to cause some fan turnover. Fans that live near Allstate now have a lengthy drive to get to games and may not follow the team. Hopefully in time new fans who live downtown will replace them. Hard to expect much in terms of attendance from a mediocre team without a marquee star, though.
Atlanta has never been much of a sports city. It's ridiculous that the Liberty are playing in Westchester. I'd guess most of their fan base is in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Ah, I misunderstood your reference to "Top." I thought you were referring to top per game rather than top average attendance.

Here are the final regular season attendance #s for the 2017 season. The drop-off for the Liberty is just sad.

WNBA Draws Best Average Attendance Since '11; L.A. Sparks Lead League With 18% Gain

psconn

Reaction Score
Washington has a sellout today....20,000+

There is a post-game viewing party of the Stanley Cup.

If this is a reference to Lynx at Mystics the official attendance was 8,587.

psconn

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is this the last move for New York before they move elsewhere? Not playing in the City is a huge loss for the Liberty. Playing at a small venue will hurt this team and I think quickly. Just sad for one of the original teams. Hope that they can hang though and not fall by the wayside like Houston did.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am going to a game there later in the month. Didn't realize I should be concerned about the environment. Thanks for speaking about this. I'll keep my head up.

I went to a game there last year; there's nothing wrong with the neighborhood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom