WNBA 2024 season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 season

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Em Adler's work and nothing about this take changes that.

Such a strange take on Nika Muhl. I have no idea where Muhl appears on mock drafts -- I've never paid any attention to them -- but to suggest that Muhl's play this season would cause her stock, whatever it's original value, to fall is just bizarre.

With all that has occurred with the UConn program this season, including Nika's role on the team having to change yet again, she's had a pretty good season. She is averaging a career high in points per game, shooting percentage and 3-pt percentage. Nika is playing 6 fewer minutes this season than she did last season. As UConn was trying to restructure its offense after the loss of Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey, Nika had a few games with too many turnovers. Despite that, her current A/TO (123/48) ratio of 2.6 is also the best of her career. At her current pace, she has a chance to finish the season as UConn's all-time assist leader. She's done this while being a tenacious defender.

She's done exactly what her team has needed her to do.
Wouldn't get too wrapped up in these assessments. With how things have transpired after these last few WNBA drafts, these mock drafts have been pointless.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score

One things for sure no way does Nneka end up in Phoenix.

I tend to agree with the analysis suggesting a great fit in Seattle.
Why wouldn't she go to Phoenix? Would be a great fit for her.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Interesting concepts. Besides Seattle and Loyd, I can see SDS being drawn to Chicago where I think she and Witherspoon would be on the same page and she could work with Copper and Mabrey, two other driven sorts. Plus, she's a stone's throw from her hometown and alma mater of South Bend/Notre Dame.

Regarding LA, the concept of Bueckers/Clark being based in LA would make their agents/ eyes and ears burn.
Chicago could also be a great fit for either Nneka and SDD or Nneka and Canada (though agree way more appeal for SDD).

Reaction Score
Is that a possible landing spot for her? I would approve of that.
I think the Aces will be looking for a ring chaser. Don't think they can offer much, but as is often the case with top contenders, they can sometimes get a player at far less than market value, particularly players who have had successful careers, might accept a lessor role, and far less pay for a chance at the ring.

Even though Parker already had championships, she kind of fit that role last year taking far less than market value to join the Aces. If they don't get a big name player at a bargain, I suspect they will get one big and one guard for near minimum that could have received significantly more.

At the other end of that equation are the teams with no title hopes and/or unpopular destinations, that have tons of cap space but few stars that want to go there. They frequently wind up overpaying a good player a stars salary to lure them. The problem there is those contracts start to lock them into to the lower level, because they spend the cap, but can't get full value for it, and after a few overpriced acquisitions their ability to improve the team further is reduced.

The salary cap equates potential money spend, but the best teams and destinations can frequently get more player quality for the same amount of money.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't she go to Phoenix? Would be a great fit for her.
Where to begin.....

See oldhusky above on characteristics of franchises that would be a good fit. Phoenix holds none of these. The change in management and coaching has previously been explored. The abstract or summary is historical management in recent years which has plumbed the depths of incompetence both in terms of team construction and coaching.

The upcoming year will be a dumpster fire. The GOAT is of course well past her prime and by insisting on playing insures high volume, low efficiency from her position as well as a strong possibility of limited service due to age-related injuries.

With her salary and that of BG there is little flexibility in terms of roster construction.

I would say 2024 will be a year of uncertainty for the Mercury but actually that's not true. The certainty is a 25 loss team in full disarray. It would be my expectation that the probable third pick in the draft will return for covid year at the college level. They will make more money and not be subjected to the stress of a laughably incompetent franchise and an aging Superstar who has missed the retired message.

Nneka is well aware of these issues and at this stage of her career doesn't want to go through the valley of rebuilding which for Phoenix appears to extend beyond the horizon.

Reaction Score
Part 2 - Phoenix has the least desirable landing spot for Nneka.

New coach ... This was a real head scratcher until you remember the underlying corporate culture and principle of management in Phoenix.... incompetence.

Nate Tibbets. Who?.... You have to be a real committed fan of men's basketball to recognize this name from his assistant coaching days in the G League.

Previous head coaching experience with women....0. previous head coaching experience well you really have to look.

Phoenix ownership and management thought so highly of his track record that they paid him more than Becky Harmon. That's right his contract is more than a million bucks. Now I'm very happy for Nate and his family but I can guarantee you he will not be coaching in the WNBA in 2 years.

Report: Phoenix Mercury Make Tibbetts Highest-Paid WNBA Coach

"Though no numbers have been reported yet, Tibbetts is set to surpass previous record holder Becky Hammon, who makes $1 million per season. Hammon won a WNBA title in her first season at the helm of the Las Vegas Aces and is on the brink of another."

Does anyone think that DT or for that matter any veteran with the Mercury will take Nate seriously?

I'm not certain that he's a step up from the high school coach that Nikki Blue replaced.

This particular hire illustrates the inherent and ingrained incompetence of the franchise.

I'd like to be at practice as Nate brings that G league experience to the returning Mercury veterans as well as whatever marginal players fill out the roster. I would guess all of those players would have had superior coaching in college or overseas to what they're about to be subjected to.

Label me skeptical.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Alana Smith to the Lynx

Huh. Her career took a major step forward in her 1 year with Chicago. Will she have as big of a role w/ Minnesota?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Huh. Her career took a major step forward in her 1 year with Chicago. Will she have as big of a role w/ Minnesota?
I was thinking the same thing. As per the article:
"She -- Smith --- joins a Lynx roster featuring fellow forwards Napheesa Collier, Jessica Shepard, Diamond Miller and Dorka Juhasz (all on unprotected contracts)." The Lynx also extended a reserve qualifying offer to reserve free agent Nikolina Milić on Jan. 12, which would further bolster Minnesota’s frontcourt depth.

So, once this deal is signed come Feb. 1, is there a deal to prune that logjam a bit (yes, I'm thinking of my fellow ND alum, Jessica Shepard). Or someone else? Plus, do the Lynx have enough $$$ to go after what they really need, which is a point guard? Or do they plan on using some of these assets to trade for one (Jordin Canada?)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Chicago could also be a great fit for either Nneka and SDD or Nneka and Canada (though agree way more appeal for SDD).
Well, Alanna Smith apparently has chosen to play in Minnesota, so there is an opening in Chicago.
This could be interesting...Nneka up front with Copper and Williams playing backstopper?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
"She -- Smith --- joins a Lynx roster featuring fellow forwards Napheesa Collier, Jessica Shepard, Diamond Miller and Dorka Juhasz (all on unprotected contracts)."

So, once this deal is signed come Feb. 1, is there a deal to prune that logjam a bit (yes, I'm thinking of my fellow ND alum, Jessica Shepard).
This is bizarre. Is she going to play center with Collier at the 4? She's not exactly a banger in the post.

Is she going to backup Collier? That feels like a big demotion from her role in Chicago.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I saw a note last night that JJ is leaning toward staying with NY. That would make for a crowded front court.
But that would enable everyone to limit their minutes, and be fresh for the playoffs. The Olympics are this year, and Stewie normally plays a lot of minutes, so rest during the season would be good.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Any word if Tina Charles or Angel McCoughtry are trying to find their way back in the league this year?

Reaction Score
Part 2 - Phoenix has the least desirable landing spot for Nneka.

New coach ... This was a real head scratcher until you remember the underlying corporate culture and principle of management in Phoenix.... incompetence.

Nate Tibbets. Who?.... You have to be a real committed fan of men's basketball to recognize this name from his assistant coaching days in the G League.

Previous head coaching experience with women....0. previous head coaching experience well you really have to look.

Phoenix ownership and management thought so highly of his track record that they paid him more than Becky Harmon. That's right his contract is more than a million bucks. Now I'm very happy for Nate and his family but I can guarantee you he will not be coaching in the WNBA in 2 years.

Report: Phoenix Mercury Make Tibbetts Highest-Paid WNBA Coach

"Though no numbers have been reported yet, Tibbetts is set to surpass previous record holder Becky Hammon, who makes $1 million per season. Hammon won a WNBA title in her first season at the helm of the Las Vegas Aces and is on the brink of another."

Does anyone think that DT or for that matter any veteran with the Mercury will take Nate seriously?

I'm not certain that he's a step up from the high school coach that Nikki Blue replaced.

This particular hire illustrates the inherent and ingrained incompetence of the franchise.

I'd like to be at practice as Nate brings that G league experience to the returning Mercury veterans as well as whatever marginal players fill out the roster. I would guess all of those players would have had superior coaching in college or overseas to what they're about to be subjected to.

Label me skeptical.

I wouldn't categorize as incompetence just yet. Inexperienced seems to be a better description considering it's a new owner with eyes as big as saucers.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't categorize as incompetence just yet. Inexperienced seems to be a better description considering it's a new owner with eyes as big as saucers.
You are charitable. Hiring a coach with little head coaching experience and 0 experience in the woman's game at a salary above the 2x WNBA coach seems a tad ........optimistic if one avoids the correct adjective.

"Nate Tibbetts has zero experience coaching women’s basketball. Now, he reportedly is the highest-paid coach in WNBA history.

The juxtaposition of those two facts did not sit well with many who wondered why diversity did not play a prominent role in the final decision."

Setting aside diversity how about hiring a proven coach, that is one with a track record of winning in the W

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are charitable. Hiring a coach with little head coaching experience and 0 experience in the woman's game at a salary above the 2x WNBA coach seems a tad ........optimistic if one avoids the correct adjective.

"Nate Tibbetts has zero experience coaching women’s basketball. Now, he reportedly is the highest-paid coach in WNBA history.

The juxtaposition of those two facts did not sit well with many who wondered why diversity did not play a prominent role in the final decision."

Setting aside diversity how about hiring a proven coach, that is one with a track record of winning in the W

No argument there as I thought the choice was odd as well. However, Ishiba is in Year 1 of owning both teams. There's nothing to indicate whether he is or isn't a good decision maker yet.

It's not about being charitable but looking at it from the right perspective. We need a couple seasons to see how competent he is as an owner.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
"She -- Smith --- joins a Lynx roster featuring fellow forwards Napheesa Collier, Jessica Shepard, Diamond Miller and Dorka Juhasz (all on unprotected contracts)." The Lynx also extended a reserve qualifying offer to reserve free agent Nikolina Milić on Jan. 12, which would further bolster Minnesota’s frontcourt depth.

So, once this deal is signed come Feb. 1, is there a deal to prune that logjam a bit (yes, I'm thinking of my fellow ND alum, Jessica Shepard). Or someone else? Plus, do the Lynx have enough $$$ to go after what they really need, which is a point guard? Or do they plan on using some of these assets to trade for one (Jordin Canada?)
A few key points:
  • Natalie Achonwa's $155,100 salary is off the books as is Aerial Powers' $201,984 salary; both are unrestricted free agents in 2024.
  • Diamond Miller and Dorka Juhasz are on rookie contracts for the next few years, which also helps MN's salary cap situation.
  • With Collier, McBride, T. Mitchell, Shepard, Miller, and Juhasz on the books for 2024, the Lynx have committed $821,258 for 2024.
  • That leaves $641,942 for 5-6 players, per Her Hoop Stats.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A few key points:
  • Natalie Achonwa's $155,100 salary is off the books as is Aerial Powers' $201,984 salary; both are unrestricted free agents in 2024.
  • Diamond Miller and Dorka Juhasz are on rookie contracts for the next few years, which also helps MN's salary cap situation.
  • With Collier, McBride, T. Mitchell, Shepard, Miller, and Juhasz on the books for 2024, the Lynx have committed $821,258 for 2024.
  • That leaves $641,942 for 5-6 players, per Her Hoop Stats.
Thanks for cleaning up the financial aspects of the Lynx.
I'm just as -- perhaps more -- interested in how Coach Reeve will allocate 80 minutes per game for the two front-court positions. Lot of players up there. Maybe 'Phee spends more time in a big lineup as a three, a la Stewie at the last Olympics.

Deals can be signed as of Thursday...here we go!

Reaction Score
No argument there as I thought the choice was odd as well. However, Ishiba is in Year 1 of owning both teams. There's nothing to indicate whether he is or isn't a good decision maker yet.

It's not about being charitable but looking at it from the right perspective. We need a couple seasons to see how competent his is as an owner.
Ishiba is certainly an upgrade character wise from slime Sawyer.

But....

Couldn't we use the two coaching choices as well as the Bradley Beale deal to get an early insight in his competence in decision making? After all these were big decisions and those with greater insight in the industry than me found all of them head scratching.

He doesn't appear to allow money to stand in the way of any of these early decisions.

Subtraction Monty Williams, addition Bradley Beale. Hum....... In year one I certainly would consider that to be a C- decision At least so far. Maybe over the rest of his contract Beale will stay healthy (something he hasn't yet been able to do) and fit in phenomenally with KD and Book.-(color me skeptical)

Year One doesn't look good from either team's standpoint.

Beyond the coaching selection with the Mercury which I would grade an F+ he has announced a 100 million dollar standalone workout facility

The Bradley Beale deal was push all your chips in -- it certainly hasn't worked out so far. I suspect Ishiba and his team were anticipating more than a .500 team with their big three. Beale's history was well known not only to the sons but the rest of the league. Beal'es contract is also I think in the top five "worst" in the league.

Predictions for the conclusion of the seasons for these two teams.

W/L. Suns around 500, Mercury around .300

Playoffs - one in, one out.

Attendance - Suns maintain, Mercury? (BG return juiced turnout in 23).

It is the Michigan man's money but I would argue that year one certainly has not started well and those early decisions will negatively impact years two and three for both teams. Certainly the Sun's window is closing rather than opening and Frank Vogel for Monty Williams seem to be a head scratcher. Maybe that's part of the Ishiba culture- coaching change head scratchers. The Bradley Beal deal might best be viewed by the shouts of glee from DC.

I think the third round draft pick choice will provide insight into players' view of Phoenix and, who knows, Nate might outcoach Becky and Cheryl and Sandy. Certainly with the roster Nate will have to be a magician as the highest paid coach in the W.

That said it's not too early for me to join skeptics in questioning the efficacy of the decision-making process as well as the decisions.

Reaction Score
Ishiba is certainly an upgrade character wise from slime Sawyer.

But....

Couldn't we use the two coaching choices as well as the Bradley Beale deal to get an early insight in his competence in decision making? After all these were big decisions and those with greater insight in the industry than me found all of them head scratching.

He doesn't appear to allow money to stand in the way of any of these early decisions.

Subtraction Monty Williams, addition Bradley Beale. Hum....... In year one I certainly would consider that to be a C- decision At least so far. Maybe over the rest of his contract Beale will stay healthy (something he hasn't yet been able to do) and fit in phenomenally with KD and Book.-(color me skeptical)

Year One doesn't look good from either team's standpoint.

Beyond the coaching selection with the Mercury which I would grade an F+ he has announced a 100 million dollar standalone workout facility

The Bradley Beale deal was push all your chips in -- it certainly hasn't worked out so far. I suspect Ishiba and his team were anticipating more than a .500 team with their big three. Beale's history was well known not only to the sons but the rest of the league. Beal'es contract is also I think in the top five "worst" in the league.

Predictions for the conclusion of the seasons for these two teams.

W/L. Suns around 500, Mercury around .300

Playoffs - one in, one out.

Attendance - Suns maintain, Mercury? (BG return juiced turnout in 23).

It is the Michigan man's money but I would argue that year one certainly has not started well and those early decisions will negatively impact years two and three for both teams. Certainly the Sun's window is closing rather than opening and Frank Vogel for Monty Williams seem to be a head scratcher. Maybe that's part of the Ishiba culture- coaching change head scratchers. The Bradley Beal deal might best be viewed by the shouts of glee from DC.

I think the third round draft pick choice will provide insight into players' view of Phoenix and, who knows, Nate might outcoach Becky and Cheryl and Sandy. Certainly with the roster Nate will have to be a magician as the highest paid coach in the W.

That said it's not too early for me to join skeptics in questioning the efficacy of the decision-making process as well as the decisions.

You could, however if both teams turnaround a couple seasons down the road, our perspective would change. And who's to say we don't see mixed results?

For comparison, look at Mark Davis and his Las Vegas teams because the irony is insane. He's been involved with the Raiders for decades and the decisions he's made haven't paid off and have been costly. On the other hand, his decisions running with the Aces have paid off in spades (pun somewhat intentional). He's a great example of being incompetent in one area, while competent in another.

Reaction Score
Any word if Tina Charles or Angel McCoughtry are trying to find their way back in the league this year?
I saw somewhere that Tina was expected to sign with the Sun, and Angel's name popped up on Athletes Unlimited rosters, so she must be trying to comeback and prove she has something left in the tank.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I saw somewhere that Tina was expected to sign with the Sun, and Angel's name popped up on Athletes Unlimited rosters, so she must be trying to comeback and prove she has something left in the tank.
Wow, I just do not see Charles being a good fit with the Sun. Maybe AT could get her to rebound and play defense more and take less long jump shots.

Reaction Score

As of right now, Tina is not signing with the Sun. It was posted on Twitter by someone with zero inside information

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom