WNBA 2024 pre-season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
On another note, I wonder where Rebecca "Spider" Allen will end up this season. Does she become option #2 or #3 after Nneka and EDD for teams looking for a forward (in particular a stretch forward). If I'm Chicago, I speed dial her agent if Nneka goes to Seattle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You and Sabreen Merchant of The Athletic are thinking along the same lines:

"Indiana was measured in its signings, bringing in Damiris Dantas and Katie Lou Samuelson, two veterans to play forward next to Aliyah Boston. Dantas hasn’t shot above league average from 3-point range since 2020, and Samuelson’s shooting has always been a little more theoretical than actual, but the pair gives the Fever good size in the frontcourt and will get more open looks than usual because of Indiana’s star power at other positions."
I'm glad it's not just me lol.

KLS is a fine player and I have no beef with her or her game. She has great size and may work well on a team that has interior players like Boston and Smith and if Clark goes number one as an opposing defenses will try to stop those players first.

I've been wrong plenty of times and if she becomes the player most on this board think she is, I will eat crow and own my mistake lol.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Some Transactions from the WNBA Home Pages. All Sun contracts are for Training Camp only (so far).

The Chicago Sky renounced their rights to Astou Ndour-Fall.

• Sydney Wiese signed a Training Camp Contract with the Connecticut Sun.
  • Kianna Smith signed a Training Camp Contract with the Connecticut Sun.
  • Rennia Davis signed a Training Camp Contract with the Connecticut Sun.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
And some more....
Monique Billings comes "home" to the LA area with a regular contract. All others are for training camp (only).

• Monique Billings signed a Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.
  • Virag Kiss signed a Training Camp Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.
  • Taylor Mikesell signed a Training Camp Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.

• Kayana Traylor signed a Training Camp Contract with the Minnesota Lynx.
  • Liz Dixon signed a Training Camp Contract with the Minnesota Lynx.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some Transactions from the WNBA Home Pages. All Sun contracts are for Training Camp only (so far).

The Chicago Sky renounced their rights to Astou Ndour-Fall.

• Sydney Wiese signed a Training Camp Contract with the Connecticut Sun.
  • Kianna Smith signed a Training Camp Contract with the Connecticut Sun.
  • Rennia Davis signed a Training Camp Contract with the Connecticut Sun.
I keep hoping Wiese can find her way back into the league. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up much just based on a training camp contract.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
And some more....
Monique Billings comes "home" to the LA area with a regular contract. All others are for training camp (only).

• Monique Billings signed a Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.
  • Virag Kiss signed a Training Camp Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.
  • Taylor Mikesell signed a Training Camp Contract with the Los Angeles Sparks.

• Kayana Traylor signed a Training Camp Contract with the Minnesota Lynx.
  • Liz Dixon signed a Training Camp Contract with the Minnesota Lynx.
Billings is obviously not a replacement for Nneka; but she's a workhorse who can do well with Hamby and Stevens.

Reaction Score
Ooooowee!! My Minnesota Lynx got Napheesa some help!! The addition of Courtney Williams and Nathisha Hiedeman will pay huge dividends, if everyone stays healthy, for the Lynx. If Dorka and Diamond continue their skill and player development. This season in Minnesota should be fun & exciting. Plus we added Liz Dixon, Alanna Smith, and we have Kayana Traylor. I am loving these additions. I mean it is tough losing Tiffany Mitchell, Lindsay Allen, Rachel Banham, and Jess Shepard (staying overseas contract commitment) but they are going to solid teams, and they will continue to play well and help their teams. Can't wait!!

Reaction Score
I am just curious to see where EDD, Nneka, Dewanna, and Brionna Jones go now.
Very interesting how the big names left are largely at the same position. Don't forget Parker is another 4. Dewanna probably is more a 3 now but obviously the big money options will start to dry up after a couple from this group decide.

I'm guessing Parker stays with the Aces for less money than her fair market value. I think Dewanna and Brionna don't move, and the big difference making moves are what happens to EDD and Nneka. They might take less than market value to chase a ring, but I can't see it with Nneka since she is so active with the union.

Usually the top free agents sign first and then teams figure out how to fill out the roster with whatever cap space they have left. This year the pretty good but not great players got the first deals, and now it's crickets waiting for the first big shoe to drop with the stars with several teams hanging on to cap space as long as they feel they have a chance at a big fish.

Reaction Score
Ooooowee!! My Minnesota Lynx got Napheesa some help!! The addition of Courtney Williams and Nathisha Hiedeman will pay huge dividends, if everyone stays healthy, for the Lynx. If Dorka and Diamond continue their skill and player development. This season in Minnesota should be fun & exciting. Plus we added Liz Dixon, Alanna Smith, and we have Kayana Traylor. I am loving these additions. I mean it is tough losing Tiffany Mitchell, Lindsay Allen, Rachel Banham, and Jess Shepard (staying overseas contract commitment) but they are going to solid teams, and they will continue to play well and help their teams. Can't wait!!
Found it interesting that they resigned Carleton for a 2-year contract for more money. Wasn't sure based on how her season went. I know she was dealing with some injuries. Guessing they took that into consideration.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Here's the WNBA's round-up on what has been covered in individual posts.

• Astou Ndour-Fall signed a Contract with the Connecticut Sun.
  • Moriah Jefferson was traded from the Phoenix Mercury to the Connecticut Sun.

• Christyn Williams signed a Training Camp Contract with the Phoenix Mercury.
  • Rebecca Allen was traded from the Connecticut Sun to the Phoenix Mercury.

Reaction Score
Natasha Cloud signing with Phoenix mercury that’s crazy
The Mercury need all the help they can get, particularly on defense. The hapless Mercury in the bottom three in most defensive categories last year. Of course with the GOAT on the floor they're particularly vulnerable to quicker guards. I think we're approaching the day that DT will have trouble catching up with younger guards to foul before they make their shot.

I was amazed and pleased that Cloud made the head scratching decision to come to the valley of the sun. She'll have an immediate impact defensively and even with a three guard rotation it's going to make for some very interesting strategic planning on the part of the untested Mercury front office and new coach who will certainly have an opportunity to earn his W leading salary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Getting crowded in the Mercury backcourt.

One thing's for sure DT will play while healthy, so the incoming guards need to be aware that their usage will be dependent upon the GOATs health. That said I'm certain the new Phoenix coach after investing his League leading salary has made a number of high level basketball decisions to incorporate all these pieces in the back court.

Reaction Score
She’s finally healthy after 2 years in the W. Hopefully she makes it
Backcourt very crowded:

GOAT, Sophie, Sug and now Cloud and Allen. Ashley Jones and Shey Peddy also in the roster. The Sun's new WonderKing coach and insightful management may elect to carry six (or 8)guards. In their new rebuilding plan this six guard construction may be the foundation but I suspect CW's Phoenix stay will be short.

No replacement made for MG. She was one of the few bright spots last year so it'll be interesting to see if the million dollar coach has decided addition by subtraction in the CW decision.

Untested management and coach may be counting on BT returning to her defensive glory. That said the loss of instant offense by MG will certainly be felt and as of yet no apparent move by the Mercury to address the front court.

They sure are focused on bringing guards in though.

Could this suggest that the focus of the Mercury will be bringing in a big in the draft? We know the track record of rookie bigs in the W: or every Boston there are five or six__________

It's certainly exciting to watch this rebuilding underway with the new M management and high powered and high paid coach.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
My initial guess on depth chart:

Cloud/Sug
DT/Allen/Peddy
Sophie/Joens
B. Turner/Onyenwere
Griner

Given DT's health though, I think you will end up seeing Allen starting a lot. [And she may get to start over Sophie]

Not to mention Phoenix has #3 pick in draft. Is Brink available? Paige? Cardoso?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom