WNBA 2024 pre-season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2024 pre-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whoa. Indiana Went After a New Wing and she's very familiar, according to the Next:

"The Indiana have agreed to a two-year, full protection contract with Katie Lou Samuelson, adding the versatile forward as she returns to the WNBA after missing the 2023 season due to pregnancy — giving birth to Aliya Renae in August 2023. The Fever won a spirited bidding war for Samuelson's services, with six teams making serious offers to obtain the former University of Connecticut standout."
That was one of their weak spots last season, so it's good to see they're trying to do something about it. Draft Caitlin Clark and find a competent big to back up Boston and Smith, and I think they'll have the right mix of players to be in the top half of the league.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Diggins-Smith to Seattle is a big land, makes sense why they released Nurse + #4 pick. Curious to see if they can pull in Nneka. Losing that #4 pick could bite them in the butt long term. I could see that pick (Edwards/Cardoso/Rickea Jackson) becoming an excellent pro.

Cloud to Phoenix is another massive land. I'm not seeing them as a realistic title threat but she's a significant upgrade from Jefferson and this should propel to being a playoff contender. The big question is how Tibbetts does as head coach with no experience or familiarity with the WNBA prior to this year.

Atlanta is a nice landing spot for Tina Charles. I'm not sure how they snaked Canada away from the Sparks in return for McDonald, they definitely won that deal. I think they're a middle of the pack team this year. Charles/Howard/Canada is a nice core, but they all have their flaws which I think limits their potential.

So much change this offseason. Funny thing is, it might all be for naught if Vegas/Liberty just steamroll everyone again.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
That was one of their weak spots last season, so it's good to see they're trying to do something about it. Draft Caitlin Clark and find a competent big to back up Boston and Smith, and I think they'll have the right mix of players to be in the top half of the league.
Damiris Dantas former Lynx PF/C signs with the Fever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how they snaked Canada away from the Sparks in return for McDonald, they definitely won that deal.
Canada was leaving regardless, so the Sparks were able to get something in return at least.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm highly suspect of Charles at this point. The last 3 teams she played for, they were better without her than with her. If I was management for Atlanta, I don't think I would risk bringing her in to a fairly decent young core group of players they are developing.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:

LOVE the Katie Lou signing for Indiana. Their 3 spot has been their weakness. Both Vivians and Lexie Hull are solid WNBA role players and play active defense, but they haven't been reliable shooters in the league. That's what KLS brings to that spot.

Atlanta now could start: J.Canada, A. Gray, R. Howard, C. Parker. T. Charles. On paper, that's a pretty good roster, mix of youth and experience.

LA getting A. McDonald and Atlanta's #8 pick in exchange for Canada is...ok. In some ways, A. McDonald is kind of doing what Canada was doing first 3 seasons of her career; though less of natural PG. They also have the #2 pick which could be either Brink or Paige.

Seattle now has a "Big 3" of SDD, Loyd, and Ezi. If they can land Nneka, they suddenly become super dangerous.

Cloud is big time upgrade for Phx at PG. I know they are also going after EDD. Very intriguing.

Losing out on SDD must hurt for Chicago, though L.Allen is a pure PG that I think will be good for their backcourt (C. Williams did wonders last year after being forced into the role, but it's not her best spot). They are *ALSO a finalist for Nneka.

Reaction Score
Diggins-Smith to Seattle is a big land, makes sense why they released Nurse + #4 pick. Curious to see if they can pull in Nneka. Losing that #4 pick could bite them in the butt long term. I could see that pick (Edwards/Cardoso/Rickea Jackson) becoming an excellent pro.

Cloud to Phoenix is another massive land. I'm not seeing them as a realistic title threat but she's a significant upgrade from Jefferson and this should propel to being a playoff contender. The big question is how Tibbetts does as head coach with no experience or familiarity with the WNBA prior to this year.

Atlanta is a nice landing spot for Tina Charles. I'm not sure how they snaked Canada away from the Sparks in return for McDonald, they definitely won that deal. I think they're a middle of the pack team this year. Charles/Howard/Canada is a nice core, but they all have their flaws which I think limits their potential.

So much change this offseason. Funny thing is, it might all be for naught if Vegas/Liberty just steamroll everyone again.

Canada requested the trade

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My head is already spinning and there's a lot more to come. Feels like nearly every team will be significantly different except Vegas, Libs, Dallas, and Indiana.

When multiple former MVPs are on the move, it is mind-boggling. Last year, we had at least Parker, Jonquel, and Stewie moving. This year, it looks like at least Nneka, EDD, and Tina.

Reaction Score
I have been loving the off season moves so far. Really excited for SDS in Seattle. Her and Loyd can be a fierce 1-2 combo.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm really disappointed to see Cloud leaving Washington, but glad to see Engstler coming in.

Cloud has been a huge member of the community, doing lots of wonderful stuff. I didn't think she'd move so far away from Philadelphia, but as tends to happen, maybe things in her family have changed.

Reaction Score
I'm really disappointed to see Cloud leaving Washington, but glad to see Engstler coming in.

Cloud has been a huge member of the community, doing lots of wonderful stuff. I didn't think she'd move so far away from Philadelphia, but as tends to happen, maybe things in her family have changed.
Engstler is on a training camp deal. Didn't realize this when I posted it. Hopefully she can make the team. She deserves another chance to play in this league.

Reaction Score
Couple thoughts:

LOVE the Katie Lou signing for Indiana. Their 3 spot has been their weakness. Both Vivians and Lexie Hull are solid WNBA role players and play active defense, but they haven't been reliable shooters in the league. That's what KLS brings to that spot.
Not a defense of Vivians or downgrading KLS, but KLS shot 35% from 3 and 37% overall in 2022. Granted Vivians shot 38% and 28.7% in 2023 so definitely better from beyond the arc but I wouldn't say KLS has been a reliable shooter.

Vivians stats don't support her staying on a roster in a highly competitive league and it's been her solid defense that's kept her around. KLS could easily have a fantastic year and if she does, I will gladly admit I'm wrong.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Engstler is on a training camp deal. Didn't realize this when I posted it. Hopefully she can make the team. She deserves another chance to play in this league.
I saw that, too and was a little surprised...at her agent. Why? With Nneka being courted by NY, Chicago and Seattle, some team is not going to procure her services. Now Engstler is more of a tough 3, but she can rebound and guard stretch 4's.
So I was thinking that she might wait to go to the team that lost the Nneka sweepstakes. Heck, Lindsay Allen was probably Plan B at PG for Chicago. I could see Engstler and Witherspoon having a love fest on defense.

That said, she did seem to do ok with the Thibault's last year...think she got caught in a numbers game. But, I agree, there's a place in this league for kids like her. Keep working on the shooting, Em.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not a defense of Vivians or downgrading KLS, but KLS shot 35% from 3 and 37% overall in 2022. Granted Vivians shot 38% and 28.7% in 2023 so definitely better from beyond the arc but I wouldn't say KLS has been a reliable shooter.

Vivians stats don't support her staying on a roster in a highly competitive league and it's been her solid defense that's kept her around. KLS could easily have a fantastic year and if she does, I will gladly admit I'm wrong.
You and Sabreena Merchant of The Athletic are thinking along the same lines:

"Indiana was measured in its signings, bringing in Damiris Dantas and Katie Lou Samuelson, two veterans to play forward next to Aliyah Boston. Dantas hasn’t shot above league average from 3-point range since 2020, and Samuelson’s shooting has always been a little more theoretical than actual, but the pair gives the Fever good size in the frontcourt and will get more open looks than usual because of Indiana’s star power at other positions."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc