Men - Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid

Reaction Score
Yup totally understood. I was meaning moreso that we do have some flaws on our paper resume that could be nitpicked by the committee despite the high rankings.
Last year I had the view some others had here. Uconn was in regardless of BE tourney, no sweat, etc. But when I saw Georgia Southern was hosting then on Monday Uconn got a 3 in a brutal regional that changed everything for me. I was stunned. That was the new lay of the land in my mind. The other piece of data that stuck in my mind was 2019. They were 36-23 entering NCAAs and got a 2 seed (Okla St. year) with a brutal schedule. These data points tell me what the committee (in general) places value on. Totally understand others' views I'm just throwing my thoughts into the pot. I also feel the so-called bracket "experts" who have been mocking the tourney for weeks tend to lull Uconn fans into a sense of security. You see your team on the 1 or 2 line for the last 6 weeks you believe it. Looking forward to this afternoon.

Reaction Score
Last year I had the view some others had here. Uconn was in regardless of BE tourney, no sweat, etc. But when I saw Georgia Southern was hosting then on Monday Uconn got a 3 in a brutal regional that changed everything for me. I was stunned. That was the new lay of the land in my mind. The other piece of data that stuck in my mind was 2019. They were 36-23 entering NCAAs and got a 2 seed (Okla St. year) with a brutal schedule. These data points tell me what the committee (in general) places value on. Totally understand others' views I'm just throwing my thoughts into the pot. I also feel the so-called bracket "experts" who have been mocking the tourney for weeks tend to lull Uconn fans into a sense of security. You see your team on the 1 or 2 line for the last 6 weeks you believe it. Looking forward to this afternoon.

One difference between the "bracket experts" and the committee is that the "bracket experts" publicize their projections multiple times (almost every week) during the season, while the committee does it once right at the end of the season. Once the bracket experts project one thing and publicize it, I would think it is pretty hard to drift too far away from that projection in future updates unless a team really goes on a dive or a good run. Also, there is RPI to deal with, and that can certainly change as the season progresses, such as UConn now having played just 3 top 50 RPI teams while earlier on teams such as Rutgers were registering in the Top 50.

Reaction Score
One difference between the "bracket experts" and the committee is that the "bracket experts" publicize their projections multiple times (almost every week) during the season, while the committee does it once right at the end of the season. Once the bracket experts project one thing and publicize it, I would think it is pretty hard to drift too far away from that projection in future updates unless a team really goes on a dive or a good run. Also, there is RPI to deal with, and that can certainly change as the season progresses, such as UConn now having played just 3 top 50 RPI teams while earlier on teams such as Rutgers were registering in the Top 50.
Your last point here can’t be overstated. The committee (understandably) puts a lot of weight on top 50 wins, and we went from 6-3 vs top 50 to 1-2 vs top 50 overnight.

Reaction Score
12 - 5 / .706% ........ 11 - 6 / .647% - National
7 - 1 / .875. ......... 7 - 1/ .875- Northeast
15. - 5/ .750 ...... 15 - 5/ .750 - Big East
6 - 2 / .750......... 6 - 2 / .750. New England
10 - 0 / 1.000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 40 - 13/ .755% ..... 41 - 16 / .719
(2) 23 .... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
12 - 5 / .706% ........ 11 - 6 / .647% - National
7 - 1 / .875. ......... 7 - 1/ .875- Northeast
15. - 5/ .750 ...... 15 - 5/ .750 - Big East
6 - 2 / .750......... 6 - 2 / .750. New England
1 - 0 / 1.000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 41 - 13/ .759% ..... 41 - 16 / .719
(2) 23 .... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
Maybe I am crazy, but would love to host a regional as a 2 seed. Probably wouldn’t get one of upper echelon 1 seed in bracket, plus we would advantage of playing at home.
Also probably would not be playing a upper echelon 1 seed in Super regional.
I know I really just need to worry about BE Tournament right now, but a man can dream.
Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
Latest From D1 Baseball:

BOSTON
1 Boston College (14)
4 Loyola Marymount*

2 Connecticut*
3 Texas A&M

Baseball America update after last night’s games:

Brighton, Mass.
1. (15) Boston College*
2. Connecticut*
3. Northeastern
4. Army*

-> Xavier, which was out a day ago, moves into the field after beating Connecticut to advance to the championship game of the Big East Tournament. That move came at the expense of Oklahoma, which lost in walkoff fashion against Texas Tech in the Big 12 Tournament, falling into the loser's bracket. For further bubble analysis, check out Bubble Watch <-

Lexington, Ky.
1. (13) Kentucky^ ⬇️
2. Indiana
3. Xavier*
4. Ball State*

Reaction Score
If we can't host the BC regional would absolutely be the best case scenario. Let's avoid a SEC regional if at all possible.

Reaction Score

Brighton, Mass.
1. (15) Boston College*
2. Connecticut*
3. Northeastern
4. Army*

-> Xavier, which was out a day ago, moves into the field after beating Connecticut to advance to the championship game of the Big East Tournament. That move came at the expense of Oklahoma, which lost in walkoff fashion against Texas Tech in the Big 12 Tournament, falling into the loser's bracket. For further bubble analysis, check out Bubble Watch <-

Lexington, Ky.
1. (13) Kentucky^ ⬇️
2. Indiana
3. Xavier*
4. Ball State*

Sure :D

WINSTON-SALEM
1 Wake Forest* (1)
4 Maine*
2 Connecticut*
3 UNC Wilmington*

BOSTON
1 Boston College (14)
4 Loyola Marymount*
2 South Carolina
3 Northeastern

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Brighton, Mass.
1. (15) Boston College*
2. Connecticut*
3. Northeastern
4. Army*

Lexington, Ky.
1. (13) Kentucky^ ⬇️
2. Indiana
3. Xavier*
4. Ball State*
Putting BC, UConn & Northeastern in the same bracket would be borderline criminal as among other things it would be the committee giving an enormous F&$# Y@% to the northeast. With three schools that have a reasonable chance of advancing to the super regionals, this ensures that there will only be one.

Additionally, I'm not sure Northeastern doesn't warrant a two seed (granted, it should be in a bracket with one of the better one seeds).

We have to accept the cards as they are dealt and in all candor, I'm not sure we have enough pitching to make it through a sub regional, regardless of the opponents unless we could pull it off in three games. There wont be a region where there isn't one school that is clearly better than us and one we'd need to be at our best to beat.

I'll follow with how I've felt once every season ends: how do we get more pitching? For us to get to where we want to be we will need a lot more than we've had.

Reaction Score
Big kudos to Northeastern for their 7-0 record against Quad 1 opponents. Shows the committee that they can beat high-quality teams. I’m impressed.

Reaction Score
I'll follow with how I've felt once every season ends: how do we get more pitching? For us to get to where we want to be we will need a lot more than we've had.

The Portal changes the calculus on roster building. This staff has shown over the years that they can identify, attract and keep quality pitchers - my sense is this year just hasn’t panned out as Penders/McDonald had in mind.

Reaction Score
The Portal changes the calculus on roster building. This staff has shown over the years that they can identify, attract and keep quality pitchers - my sense is this year just hasn’t panned out as Penders/McDonald had in mind.

Im thinking it's a lot harder to succeed moving up from Div.3 as a pitcher than it is for a hitter. Just a guess.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah, but when you look at things, 2011 our downfall was facing defending champion on there way to repeating as champions South Carolina. Last year, a few years back against Ok St, we lost ultimately because we ran out of arms.

I know McDonald is highly respected as a pitching coach at this level and he has done a tremendous job. The thing is there is only so much that a coach can do. We need to find a way to increase the number of quality arms on the roster or the hump we're trying to get over (spot in the CWS) will always be a mountain.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but when you look at things, 2011 our downfall was facing defending champion on there way to repeating as champions South Carolina. Last year, a few years back against Ok St, we lost ultimately because we ran out of arms.

I know McDonald is highly respected as a pitching coach at this level and he has done a tremendous job. The thing is there is only so much that a coach can do. We need to find a way to increase the number of quality arms on the roster or the hump we're trying to get over (spot in the CWS) will always be a mountain.
But it also takes a lot of luck when you're playing college baseball. We were a game away from the CWS last year with a dominant pitching staff, and that was after Reggie Crawford had TJ surgery and Frank Mozzicotto and Owen Kellington blew up and never made it to campus. None of that can be predicted or planned for

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom