Men - Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid

Reaction Score
I'll be very (pleasantly) surprised if we are in the same regional at BC with a #2 seed. IMO, we haven't earned a high #2 seed, and BC is on the bubble for a #1.

Reaction Score
A BC regional with a non Northeastern team as the 3 seed would be perfect. USC, CSF, SHSU, etc are very beatable. Northeastern is really good.
Agreed - I’d rather be shipped out than face Northeastern the first game of the Regional.

It seems to me that the selection committee on occasion organizes the 16 regional sites with teams that are nearby to the site. Doesn't always happen that way, but we'll see how it goes this time around.

Reaction Score
There are currently 21 teams that have an RPI of 50 or less, and also have 40 or more wins. In the past if a team met these two criteria, they were almost exclusively chosen for NCAA Tournament. This is regardless of conference.
I will give you an update tomorrow once the selection brackets are complete.

Reaction Score
The 16 hosts, in alphabetical order:

Alabama (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)
Arkansas (Fayetteville, Ark.)
Auburn (Auburn, Ala.)
Clemson (Clemson, S.C.)
Coastal Carolina (Conway, S.C.)
Florida (Gainesville, Fla.)
Indiana State (Terre Haute, Ind.)
Kentucky (Lexington, Ky.)
LSU (Baton Rouge, La.)
Miami (Coral Gables, Fla.)
Oklahoma State (Stillwater, Okla.)
South Carolina (Columbia, S.C.)
Stanford (Stanford, Calif.)
Vanderbilt (Nashville, Tenn.)
Virginia (Charlottesville, Va.)
Wake Forest (Winston-Salem, N.C.)

Reaction Score

Auburn (Auburn, Ala.)
Clemson (Clemson, S.C.)
LSU (Baton Rouge, La.)

Bama, Auburn, Coastal, Indiana State, Kentucky, South Carolina, and Miami I'd be pretty happy about. Clemson, LSU, Wake, Florida pretty unhappy, and the other ones somewhere in the middle.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Can drive to Vandy or Alabama so hoping for those. Otherwise, I will be watching from home.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Latest Baseball America Field of 64 projection for UConn ahead of tomorrow’s Selection Show:

Coral Gables, Florida
1. (9) Miami^
4. Central Connecticut State*

2. Connecticut
3. Southern California

Latest D1Baseball Field of 64 projection for UConn ahead of tomorrow’s Selection Show:

NASHVILLE
1 Vanderbilt* (5)
4 Lipscomb*
2 Connecticut
3 UC Irvine

Reaction Score
After the regional host were selected, there are now 10 teams left that have an RPI of less then 50 that also have 40 or more wins. All but 2, have an RPI of 35 or less. It will be interesting to see how many of the 10 get in. Looking forward to our bracket.

Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
The 2 teams that I am most interested in are Kent State and Louisiana. Their RPI are 46 and 47, and they both have 40 wins. They also both lost in conference championship game.

The Sun Belt ( Louisiana) is ranked 5th as a conference, so I would be surprised if they don’t get in. The MidAmerican ( Kent State) is ranked 20th. This is the selection I am most curious about.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Don Amore is throwing around my old idea of improving the mid-week schedule by trying to get games with better competion by bringing ACC teams to UConn when the are coming up .to play BC or making side trips to play teams like Maryland when they go to play Georgetown, or others when they go on the road in the Big East.

Reaction Score

Auburn (Auburn, Ala.)
Clemson (Clemson, S.C.)
LSU (Baton Rouge, La.)

National Writer for Baseball America Teddy Cahill:

-> It’s unusual that I think the selection committee botched the host sites in a real way. There’s often a team that you feel like got snubbed—think Oklahoma last year—but that’s just kind of the way things work. There’s always a team that’s just on the wrong side of the dividing line, whether we’re talking top-eight seeds, hosts or the tournament bubble. Year after year, however, I come away thinking the committee pretty much got the right hosts.

This year feels different. When the selection committee on Sunday released the 16 host sites, I was genuinely disappointed by the decision not to put a regional in Boston. The Eagles have a hosting-worthy resume. They’re 35-18, went 17-15 against ACC competition, rank 18th in RPI, went 18-9 in true road games, went 7-9 vs. Top 25 opponents (more T25 wins than six of the hosts) and 13-14 against top-50 opponents (as many or more than four hosts).

It's not a top-eight resume and if this were any other ACC team (with the possible exception of Notre Dame), I wouldn’t be writing this. Someone has to get snubbed, after all.

But this is BC. This is a team that didn’t play a home game until March 22 and played 32 of its 59 games (60.4%) away from home. This was an opportunity to put a regional in the Northeast, where there hasn’t been an NCAA Tournament game since 2010. And this was an opportunity to do it without forcing it, which the selection committee did in 2010, when it sent Florida State on the road to Norwich, Conn., as a traveling No. 1 seed.

It's not the selection committee’s job to grow the game or help the sport establish stronger ties in areas of the country outside its traditional hotbeds. But it is within the selection committee’s directions to “place regional tournaments so that the maximum national balance can be obtained.”

A Boston Regional could have reasonably been top-seeded and host BC, No. 2 Connecticut, No. 3 Northeastern and pick a No. 4 seed from Army, Central Connecticut State and Maine. That regional would have meant something special to the players and fans and helped bring new people to college baseball. There’s truly nothing like postseason baseball for bringing new people into the game.

This is a missed opportunity. BC and UConn (which nearly had a hosting-caliber resume itself) will be back in the hosting mix sooner than later, but you never know when. The selection committee could have created a special atmosphere, one that would have helped expand the game’s popularity. Instead, those teams will all get on planes this week and head south and west. It’s nothing the players aren’t used to—they did it all February and March. <-

Reaction Score

National Writer for Baseball America Teddy Cahill:

-> It’s unusual that I think the selection committee botched the host sites in a real way. There’s often a team that you feel like got snubbed—think Oklahoma last year—but that’s just kind of the way things work. There’s always a team that’s just on the wrong side of the dividing line, whether we’re talking top-eight seeds, hosts or the tournament bubble. Year after year, however, I come away thinking the committee pretty much got the right hosts.
Few random thoughts with 1 hour to go and now it’s a waiting game:
1) it’s obvious the NCAA and committee doesn’t give a toss about college baseball in the Northeast. In fact it’s almost anti-Northeast at present. If they did BC would be hosting. Coastal/Auburn/BC the differences are minute. Thus if you cared you’d lean BC when taking 2 of those 3. Sort of like diversity in the workplace. They’ll probably put BC at LSU or Florida (half-joking)
2) putting #1 aside I am optimistic today and hoping for the best. Getting cutesy Id rather have a strong 3 than a weak 2. Uconnbaseball alluded to this but I want to stay away from your LSUs/Arks/SCs not only because of talent but home field crowds are crazy and also your Wakes/Vandys/Floridas because of the phenomenal talent those teams possess. You most likely have to beat these teams 2xs. Would much rather have to face (on paper) a tougher team in opening game but be in Alabama, Auburn, Indiana, etc. again getting cutesy here.
3) Regarding attending these games someone else mentioned that. I will attend if I can get to the site nonstop out of BDL. So think Nashville (Breeze?), Greenville, Miami (Jet Blue) , etc. if I have to flight connect I’ll watch from home don’t like wasting time sitting at airports. Will look once brackets announced.
4) Good luck all. Go Huskies!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting that Don Amore is throwing around my old idea of improving the mid-week schedule by trying to get games with better competion by bringing ACC teams to UConn when the are coming up .to play BC or making side trips to play teams like Maryland when they go to play Georgetown, or others when they go on the road in the Big East.
I was thinking the same thing, when we play every other year out at Creighton, why not schedule a midweek game against Nebraska. Yes, the OOC scheduling has to include at least 6 games against ACC & SEC and a few others mixed in would be nice.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing, when we play every other year out at Creighton, why not schedule a midweek game against Nebraska. Yes, the OOC scheduling has to include at least 6 games against ACC & SEC and a few others mixed in would be nice.
Youre sorta advocating the hybrid approach. Don’t run the gauntlet OOC in feb/early mar but beef it up a bit in late March and April. Makes sense.

Reaction Score

There is one problem that I see with this out of conference idea. It is called school. That's the reason almost every midweek game is either at home or a road game where you get there by bus only a couple hours away from campus. I suspect that is why this doesn't happen all that often, considering all the travel the team already does.

Reaction Score
There is one problem that I see with this out of conference idea. It is called school. That's the reason almost every midweek game is either at home or a road game where you get there by bus only a couple hours away from campus. I suspect that is why this doesn't happen all that often, considering all the travel the team already does.
They’re away most of feb/march anyway (spring break does help). Also virtual classes now are a real option to use while on the road. Technology helps here. Agree not easy but there are legitimate options to keep the guys engaged with their classes while on the road unlike the old days where it was just study halls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom