• Yes

Votes: 67 57.3%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is really, really hard to go undefeated. Some of our best teams have failed to accomplish it.

You can't have an off-game against a top-5 team. Our conference schedule will be a joke, there will still be 5-8 tough games, including, obviously, the Final Four. Fortunately, our main competitors, the programs who have actually won something (ND, Stanford, Baylor) are losing a lot. I don't see pretenders like UNC actually accomplishing anything on the national stage, and Tennessee is probably still a year or two away.

But we'll have to dodge a lot of bullets to avoid losing a single time.
Agreed. On paper I'm sure we're the best. But going undefeated is a lot of wear, tear, and mental strain. At some point it seems like it kind of sucks the joy out of winning for the players because everyone else is so focused on "the streak". As much as I like to see UCONN win every game I won't be too disappointed when they eventually lose. Unless its in the tourney of course :) !

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
They have a better shot than any other team.

I'm hearing the same thing.

Maybe they will have a bad game. Maybe there will be foul trouble. Maybe there will be foul trouble.

Maybe they will win in spite of these things.

Reaction Score
IMHO we go undefeated. We play Penn State, ND, Stanford, South Carolina, Maryland, Duke..... All confidently winnable with the healthy Huskies we end the year with, and with two or three newbies contributing positive minutes. 85 in a row by April 9, 2015

South Carolina is the only team in that group that will be better. The rest will have major loses to graduation.

Reaction Score
Yeah this is my philosophy as well. I know this is far-fetched to some, but we were down in the 2nd half to BYU. That's Brigham Young University. If that had been a team with an actual pulse, maybe a top 20 team of some kind, we may not be here celebrating dual championships. Going undefeated is really really hard. Geno has said so himself, and I'll take his word for it. Just because they've done it a bunch of times, and we're spoiled, doesn't mean we should expect it or even consider it "in the bag." Eventually they will lose, and whoever beats them will party like it's 1999.
I believe that over the last seven years we have had exactly one loss to a team that didn't either end up with a 1 seed or make it to the F4. I really only see 3-4 competitive games next year: nd, 2 games in the f4 and maybe one other. We have the best 1, the best 3, the best 4, the best 6th man and the best defensive 5.

Reaction Score
I can only see 2 possible weaknesses next yr. Depth at the 4/5 obviously one. But I want to talk about the other, i.e. can we replace Bria with someone solid at the 2.

Here's the thing about that. Will Chong step up to the plate? Maybe not. Will Banks be the BB of sophomore year with a little senior maturity to boot? Can't say for sure. Will Gabby be healthy and as good as some folks think? Dunno. Will Ekmark's year off pay off big time. Not necessarily. Will the kid from up north be as good as all the Canadians think? Can't count on it. But will AT LEAST ONE of those things happen? Yeah, I'm pretty sure about THAT. I'm not sure about any of the five players individually, but I feel confident that the best of the five, even the best two will be really solid.

(By the way some folks obviously have seen Kiah as a potential weakness. I don't see it at all but if you're still in that camp nothing I can say will change your mind.)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can only see 2 possible weaknesses next yr. Depth at the 4/5 obviously one. But I want to talk about the other, i.e. can we replace Bria with someone solid at the 2.

Here's the thing about that. Will Chong step up to the plate? Maybe not. Will Banks be the BB of sophomore year with a little senior maturity to boot? Can't say for sure. Will Gabby be healthy and as good as some folks think? Dunno. Will Ekmark's year off pay off big time. Not necessarily. Will the kid from up north be as good as all the Canadians think? Can't count on it. But will AT LEAST ONE of those things happen? Yeah, I'm pretty sure about THAT. I'm not sure about any of the five players individually, but I feel confident that the best of the five, even the best two will be really solid.

(By the way some folks obviously have seen Kiah as a potential weakness. I don't see it at all but if you're still in that camp nothing I can say will change your mind.)

Whoever fills Hartley's spot will have the luxury of playing with Jefferson, KML, Stewart and Stokes in the starting lineup. It should take a lot of the pressure off that player.

Reaction Score
Who thinks Kiah is a weakness? Come on now. She has worked her butt off and has earned the trust of the coaching staff which does not come easy. Kiah is awesome and will get more out of this program than most realize. Our front court players of Kiah, Stewie, KML, and Tuck are ridiculously talented and versatile.

Reaction Score
Who thinks Kiah is a weakness? Come on now. She has worked her butt off and has earned the trust of the coaching staff which does not come easy. Kiah is awesome and will get more out of this program than most realize. Our front court players of Kiah, Stewie, KML, and Tuck are ridiculously talented and versatile.
Couldn't agree more. But I'vs seen other opinions on this board and want to acknowledge them even if I disagree adamantly.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Whoever fills Hartley's spot will have the luxury of playing with Jefferson, KML, Stewart and Stokes in the starting lineup. It should take a lot of the pressure off that player.
The enormity of that statement is really amazing when you think about it. Quite a "support staff" for anyone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

The only reason why someone would think Stokes is a weak player is if they look at her lack of scoring (4.5 ppg) and high school ranking. If you take her numbers this year and average it over 30 minutes a night, she'd be grabbing 10+ rebounds and blocking 3+ shots every night. She probably will not be an All-American, but she is a very good post defender, capable finisher inside and excellent rebounder.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The only reason why someone would think Stokes is a weak player is if they look at her lack of scoring (4.5 ppg) and high school ranking. If you take her numbers this year and average it over 30 minutes a night, she'd be grabbing 10+ rebounds and blocking 3+ shots every night. She probably will not be an All-American, but she is a very good post defender, capable finisher inside and excellent rebounder.
She can score. She just needs to take more shots. If she wants to play at the next level she probably knows that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She can score. She just needs to take more shots. If she wants to play at the next level she probably knows that.

Chris Dailey said this about Kiah during the FF:

“The only person that can keep her from scoring his herself,” assistant coach Chris Dailey said.

sTu

Reaction Score
The kid from up North has many more folks than just those up North that believe she is really good including the UConn coaching staff. Take the Olympic experience against older competition and given that she is a tall, speedy defensive gnat like the smaller version already in the backcourt I am thinking she is starting sooner rather than later in the season.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I am not sure.... waiting for TonyC's view on this question .....:)

I believe he is conservatively estimating that we win around 110 to 115% of our games.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
CROWN EM

dennis-green-crown.jpg

* as an aside, that get my vote as the best coach rant ever

Reaction Score
The kid from up North has many more folks than just those up North that believe she is really good including the UConn coaching staff. Take the Olympic experience against older competition and given that she is a tall, speedy defensive gnat like the smaller version already in the backcourt I am thinking she is starting sooner rather than later in the season.
I am VERY excited about Kia. I think she will make a huge contribution next year.

Reaction Score
IMHO we go undefeated. We play Penn State, ND, Stanford, South Carolina, Maryland, Duke..... All confidently winnable with the healthy Huskies we end the year with, and with two or three newbies contributing positive minutes. 85 in a row by April 9, 2015

Maryland? I thought UCONN wasn't playing them next year.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I know some won't agree, but I really think she will take that next big step.
I agree...

I have no idea what the stats show but my impression is that she steps up in games that she believes that she is most needed by her team. Next year she will be needed. I think that she'll be the force that most of those around her have known that she could be....

May the Schwartz be with her!!!!

Your Ol' Pal Boogurt

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey said this about Kiah during the FF:

“The only person that can keep her from scoring his herself,” assistant coach Chris Dailey said.
She is just like Diana. :) It is just the thresholds for scoring are different.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Agreed. Without Wilson, we'll still be very good next year. Her absence becomes more critical after Stewie leaves. If A'ja comes, next year's team will be fabulous. Without Tuck and Williams, we'll be missing depth, which could become a problem.

The range from best case scenario to worst case is large in one sense and small in another. If we have a healthy A'ja, Gabby, and Morgan, the team is in the conversation for the best team ever. If none of them plays at all, we are still excellent, but thin, and could lose a couple of games.

Just saying that should A'ja pick UConn, we should remember that posts do take some time to get into the collage game....

We have great people, yes, and we do "practice until we don't get it wrong", but setting manageable expectations is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom