Will this sway some of the top recruits? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will this sway some of the top recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I admit to liftimg the line from elsewhere, but the sentiment is perfectly suitable to this discussion.

"There are two types of (potential star) players in HS: Those who want to play for UConn (and Geno) or *those who want to play against (and defeat) UConn (and Geno)."

*Hammond, Mallot, Reimer, two Samuelsons, Mabrey, Westbeld, Ogwumike, Williams, DeShields, Calhoun, and many others.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
Eric, but the fact that they were in four Championship games in the past five years and did not once win the title makes me think that there could be a problem with the coaching that she is unable to get them over that hump. If I were looking for a program to play I would look at which program will make me a better player, will potentially lead me to play basketball professionally if that is a goal.... and which coach really gets the most out of their students..... if I had those three criteria the easy answer would UCONN
The problem with the coaching at ND is UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I like the way Geno described the evolution of the recruiting process during last night's post-game press conference. Of course, a guy with 10 national championships can talk to recruits this way.

A. It's part of the evolution of our program. And it's part of the evolution of the recruiting process. When we were recruiting Rebecca, it was Rebecca. You could come to Connecticut and you could help us be really good. You can help build a program that people will say Rebecca Lobo helped build that. So that was the conversations that Rebecca had and I had on a regular basis were about what she could do to help us and how much fun it would be to play at Connecticut, close to home and all that.

As the years have gone on, and now culminating with recruiting Stewy, my conversations with Stewy were more about Stewy: Think of it this way, what do you want? Tell me what you want, because even if you don't come to Connecticut, I mean, there's a chance we could still win national championships. So it's not like we're dependent on just one player.

So what do you want? And she said: You know I want to win four national championships. I want to be Player of the Year. I want to make the Olympic team. I want, I want. She wants all these things.

I said: Well, why don't you sit down and take a look at all the coaches that you think can help you do that and you tell me where you want to go to school. So it was more about now the conversation and recruiting, this is what we can do for you, as opposed to Stewy: If you come here you'll help us do something, what, we've never done before?

So it's all about appealing to what they want now. And the thing with Maya, the same with Stewy, all these guys, those kids that don't necessarily know what they want, I don't know what I want, we don't get those kids. Those kids have to play 35 minutes, lead the country in scoring, want to have fun, want to love their coach, want to be buddy‑buddies with their coach. We don't get those guys. We get guys who don't like me but want to win championships.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I like the way Geno described the evolution of the recruiting process during last night's post-game press conference. Of course, a guy with 10 national championships can talk to recruits this way.

A. It's part of the evolution of our program. And it's part of the evolution of the recruiting process. When we were recruiting Rebecca, it was Rebecca. You could come to Connecticut and you could help us be really good. You can help build a program that people will say Rebecca Lobo helped build that. So that was the conversations that Rebecca had and I had on a regular basis were about what she could do to help us and how much fun it would be to play at Connecticut, close to home and all that.

As the years have gone on, and now culminating with recruiting Stewy, my conversations with Stewy were more about Stewy: Think of it this way, what do you want? Tell me what you want, because even if you don't come to Connecticut, I mean, there's a chance we could still win national championships. So it's not like we're dependent on just one player.

So what do you want? And she said: You know I want to win four national championships. I want to be Player of the Year. I want to make the Olympic team. I want, I want. She wants all these things.

I said: Well, why don't you sit down and take a look at all the coaches that you think can help you do that and you tell me where you want to go to school. So it was more about now the conversation and recruiting, this is what we can do for you, as opposed to Stewy: If you come here you'll help us do something, what, we've never done before?

So it's all about appealing to what they want now. And the thing with Maya, the same with Stewy, all these guys, those kids that don't necessarily know what they want, I don't know what I want, we don't get those kids. Those kids have to play 35 minutes, lead the country in scoring, want to have fun, want to love their coach, want to be buddy‑buddies with their coach. We don't get those guys. We get guys who don't like me but want to win championships.
That is such vintage Geno and such a terrific summary of what he looks for in players, what he offers them at UCONN, and what kind of kids are going to want UCONN...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric, but the fact that they were in four Championship games in the past five years and did not once win the title makes me think that there could be a problem with the coaching that she is unable to get them over that hump. If I were looking for a program to play I would look at which program will make me a better player, will potentially lead me to play basketball professionally if that is a goal.... and which coach really gets the most out of their students..... if I had those three criteria the easy answer would UCONN
The one game that they really had a chance in I think was against T A&M that was a good but not a great team that just got incredibly hot for the three weeks at the end of the season. Baylor 40 - 0, Uconn 40-0 and Uconn 39-1 were all heavy favorites. The other loss - Uconn in the semis - that old 'beating a good team four straight in a season' and Uconn was a much better team three weeks after the last of the losses than they were in any of those first three games.

Reaction Score
Do you think this will be a big factor in getting Cox or Walker or McCoy to lean our way now that we just secured our 10th championship?
IMO the NC and all the positive press , particularly the video that shows a well bonded team, has to be good for the brand and hence, at least a slight positive for recruiting. The victory along side of Loyd leaving, which seems like a negative for ND's image, should help us with the athletes who are considering both programs.

Reaction Score
I agree. All of the press about what Geno has done for women's basketball. The team bonding...I hope it gives the recruits a push

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The one game that they really had a chance in I think was against T A&M that was a good but not a great team that just got incredibly hot for the three weeks at the end of the season. Baylor 40 - 0, Uconn 40-0 and Uconn 39-1 were all heavy favorites. The other loss - Uconn in the semis - that old 'beating a good team four straight in a season' and Uconn was a much better team three weeks after the last of the losses than they were in any of those first three games.
Exactly. Five teams have made it to at least 5 consecutive Final Fours: UConn with Sue, Dee, et al.; LSU with Seimone and Sylvia; Stanford with the O sisters; UConn with Maya, Tina, Kaleena, and Stewie (8 straight); and ND with Skylar, Kayla, and Jewell. The ND game against TAMU was winnable. The other losses were to Griner and Stewie. ND was very good, but the other teams were noticeably better.

HGN

Reaction Score
I admit to liftimg the line from elsewhere, but the sentiment is perfectly suitable to this discussion.

"There are two types of (potential star) players in HS: Those who want to play for UConn (and Geno) or *those who want to play against (and defeat) UConn (and Geno)."

*Hammond, Mallot, Reimer, two Samuelsons, Mabrey, Westbeld, Ogwumike, Williams, DeShields, Calhoun, and many others.
Very true Kib.....I thought about something like that Tuesday night after the game..........I wondered what were players like DD , Hammond , and AW , now thinking. Knowing that they could be up on that stage with their 1st , 2nd , or 3rd NC Trophy.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Why one former recruit picked a school not named UConn.

She was swarmed with college offers, of course. Her final choice came down to three schools: Connecticut, Kansas State and Southwest Missouri State. Her father wanted Connecticut. Everybody else, it seemed, wanted her to go to Kansas State. Nobody in Claflin – not even her partents — understood why Southwest Missouri State was even on the list.

But Southwest Missouri State was the one that felt right. She did not know what to do. Finally, in a panic, she called the Psychic Hotline for advice.

“Hi,” she said quickly to get the most out of the first free minute. “I have just one question. I’m deciding where to play college basketball. My three schools are Connecticut, Kansas State and Southwest Missouri State. What should I do?”

The psychic woman delayed for a few seconds, either because the future was cloudy or because her job was to get the call into the pay minutes.

And she said this: “Well, personally I’m a Tennessee Lady Volunteers fans.”

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/jackie-stiles-happily-ever-after/

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I hope the young people involved as WCBB recruits make the decision that is best for them. The numbers of transfers suggest that a fair number don't get it right the first time, and sometimes not on the second try either. Bonus observation: Did you know that almost 40% of college graduates will earn a degree in a program other than the one they initially chose as freshmen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom