Will this sway some of the top recruits? | The Boneyard

Will this sway some of the top recruits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you think this will be a big factor in getting Cox or Walker or McCoy to lean our way now that we just secured our 10th championship?

Reaction Score
Good question... looks like the question I posed earlier in another thread ;)

Reaction Score
Do you think this will be a big factor in getting Cox or Walker or McCoy to lean our way now that we just secured our 10th championship?

Good question. I think these players already know what UConn is all about so this NC should not really be a surprise.

Reaction Score
I hope it might give them a little push our way. Maybe Ionescu will reconsider coming out way as well....one can hope!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think if anything it might push them to ND. Let's be honest - UCONN had 3 legit AA's on the roster and many thought Tuck deserved that honor too. ND only has 1 AA on their roster and an up and coming one in Turner. If i'm a kid on the fence and I look at a 10 point win that UCONN gutted out, with basically 4 AA's on the team, I'm not sure I wouldn't go to ND to try to knock them off their perch. No team is closer to doing that than ND, and no team is recruiting as close to UCONN as ND...

I certainly don't want to stir anything up on such a celebratory night, but my point is if ND can basically be within UCONN and it took a KML 5 point run to put the game out of reach at an 11 point lead with about 4 minutes left in the game, I'm thinking maybe ND can do more with less...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think if anything it might push them to ND. Let's be honest - UCONN had 3 legit AA's on the roster and many thought Tuck deserved that honor too. ND only has 1 AA on their roster and an up and coming one in Turner. If i'm a kid on the fence and I look at a 10 point win that UCONN gutted out, with basically 4 AA's on the team, I'm not sure I wouldn't go to ND to try to knock them off their perch. No team is closer to doing that than ND, and no team is recruiting as close to UCONN as ND...
But all 3 will be gone by the time the new recruits get here.

Reaction Score
I hope it might give them a little push our way. Maybe Ionescu will reconsider coming out way as well....one can hope!
I would love to have Ionescu interested in UConn. What I've read about her is mighty impressive. To get at least one of the bigs would be pretty cool, as well. I'm not sure what mindset these kids have. Maybe they want to go somewhere else to start something special for another school. No way of knowing or maybe they want to help UConn sustain their glory.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think we're past that point. If it took double digits in NC's to get an extra notice from a kid not sure what to make of that.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think if anything it might push them to ND. Let's be honest - UCONN had 3 legit AA's on the roster and many thought Tuck deserved that honor too. ND only has 1 AA on their roster and an up and coming one in Turner. If i'm a kid on the fence and I look at a 10 point win that UCONN gutted out, with basically 4 AA's on the team, I'm not sure I wouldn't go to ND to try to knock them off their perch. No team is closer to doing that than ND, and no team is recruiting as close to UCONN as ND..
I certainly don't want to stir anything up on such a celebratory night, but my point is if ND can basically be within UCONN and it took a KML 5 point run to put the game out of reach at an 11 point lead with about 4 minutes left in the game, I'm thinking maybe ND can do more with less...

This is a pretender, identity thief, this isn't Ericsandiego, get off of here, you fake, I'm alerting the mods ;)

ND has reached 4 championship games in 5 years- and that's fantastic. BUT IT'S ABOUT WINNING, AND N.D. HAS NOT WON EVEN ONCE !!!! With all their talent, and they do have great talent, I would say they do a lot less with just a little less. Unless, of course, you like second place.

Sure this will sway some top recruits. YES, TO UCONN. Who wouldn't want to be coached by the coach who every year gets the best from his kids and enables them to achieve their very best?

Last edited:

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
If a recruit was not a fit for UConn before tonight, can't see how they would be 24 hours later. You don't change your level of commitment or selflessness or desire for pressure in a day. Storrs isn't for everyone, which is fine. Trees that sway too easily often break. I'd be concerned if just one game albeit a championship made a difference. I hope the recruits find the best fits for them. Transfer situations especially when they happen en masse are awful for everyone.

Reaction Score

Any recruit committing now would not play with Lloyd. Will they challenge Uconn when she's gone. Both teams had 6 McD's high school AA's on the roster this year. Which team developed their talents more? Next year ND gets 3 more high school AA's, all guards. Where you go may depend on your position as ND is guard heavy. ND isn't going to beat Uconn next year either. Their are a number of schools gaining on ND. I think as many as 12 teams have a final 4 shot next year which means looking at where everyone will be after next year when these kids enter college in the PS (Post Stewie) era there will be many choices to challenge Uconn not just ND.

Reaction Score
Great post, UCONN's player list might expand by some uncommitted players to learn from the master. Others will run away because they will next exposed by UCONN's training and tough work attitude....Look for more great announcements this spring or early summer.......Remember, less than 190 days to the start of the 2015/2016 season starting.........No wonder Stanford wanted no part of UCONN next season.......Thank you UCONN for an awesome season.......

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It could. It could also lean them to another team in attempt to knock off the King.

I'd be ecstatic if we got one of the bigs and another guard. Cox/Holmes/McCoy and Ionescu/Chou/Ramirez, any combo will work. :)

I'm greedy, I know. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't see any particular game even a championship game being a deciding factor in recruiting - unless something really ugly happened.
Neither Uconn or ND have a whole lot of needs in 2016 or 2017 based on the current roster, signees, and commits. And the same can be said for a number of other teams - Baylor for example has 15+ players signed for next year I believe so some creative management of the back end of the roster is coming. So ... it is a very small pool of elite players that both are looking at and their decisions will be about the program as a whole and not what happened last night.

Reaction Score
We get caught up in the excitement of recruiting the star HS players we see rated on Hoopgurlz (and the other recruiting services), I know that I do, but the factor we can never judge from afar is the one that is now so regularly touted as being the most important one to Geno and CD; does the girl fit the program, does she belong here? Having KML's talent would not have been enough if she didn't have the ability to sacrifice her game to adapt to Geno's overall plan for the team.

To be sure there are players everywhere that would have/could have fit here nicely and helped us to championships (I always think of Hammond and how well she would have done here at power forward). We don't get every "UCONN type" player out there, but we also don't get players that may have excited us with their HS stats but would never have bought into Geno's system.

I agree that there is a finite group of star players who will want to come here and that are willing to make the sacrifices that this program demands. One game won't change their minds.

Reaction Score

Eric, but the fact that they were in four Championship games in the past five years and did not once win the title makes me think that there could be a problem with the coaching that she is unable to get them over that hump. If I were looking for a program to play I would look at which program will make me a better player, will potentially lead me to play basketball professionally if that is a goal.... and which coach really gets the most out of their students..... if I had those three criteria the easy answer would UCONN

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We get caught up in the excitement of recruiting the star HS players we see rated on Hoopgurlz (and the other recruiting services), I know that I do, but the factor we can never judge from afar is the one that is now so regularly touted as being the most important one to Geno and CD; does the girl fit the program, does she belong here?
These (excitement over a ranked player & fit of that player for the UCONN program) are two mutually exclusive things IMO. The latter is entirely in Geno's and the coaching staff's control. The former has no bearing on the latter, meaning no matter how excited we get or how highly the player is rated if they are not a fit -based on Geno judgement they will never wear the UCONN uniform.

Reaction Score
Eric, but the fact that they were in four Championship games in the past five years and did not once win the title makes me think that there could be a problem with the coaching that she is unable to get them over that hump. If I were looking for a program to play I would look at which program will make me a better player, will potentially lead me to play basketball professionally if that is a goal.... and which coach really gets the most out of their students..... if I had those three criteria the easy answer would UCONN
That is very foolish. ND had to try and beat Stewie & Co twice and last year their 2nd best player tore her ACL 2 days earlier. ND also got beat by Brittany Griner and Maya Moore. Only Texas A&M didn't have an Olympian on the roster. Muffet has done a great job of building a program that will be in the hunt. She does have a title in which she knocked off Uconn to get to the title game. Next year they will be very good again.

Reaction Score
If you get 3 recruits 2 years and only 2 recruits the other 2 years you have 10. The coaches have to figure out which 2 or 3 in a class will make the team a success. A coach and player have to feel they can work together so for all his success many kids don't connect with Geno and vice versa, no matter how talented. I know your allowed 15, but most teams only play 8 or 9. Geno looks for certain things, and other coaches other things. They then play with the deck they have and see who wins. Kids don't just pick a school by it's record on the court but by a million other factors from personality to proximity to home. 96 McDonald's high school All Americans play college basketball Every year. To those critical of ND (which does have a title) In men's basketball KY gets the best recruits by far and yet has only 1 title in 6 years. So many factors go into success.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
Cox could potentially play in the Final Four in her hometown as a freshman, post Stewie & Mo.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
That is very foolish. ND had to try and beat Stewie & Co twice and last year their 2nd best player tore her ACL 2 days earlier. ND also got beat by Brittany Griner and Maya Moore. Only Texas A&M didn't have an Olympian on the roster. Muffet has done a great job of building a program that will be in the hunt. She does have a title in which she knocked off Uconn to get to the title game. Next year they will be very good again.

ND never lost in the NCAA tournament to UConn with Maya. ND beat UConn in the FF in Maya's senior year ('10-'11). That was the year ND played Texas A&M in the finals and was one that got away.

Another one that maybe got away was Diggins' senior year ('12-13) when you consider that ND beat UConn 3 times before the FF. I know that Stewart was great in the tournament but ND had every reason to feel and play confidently that night but didn't. ND surely would have defeated Louisville in the championship game.

Muffet deserves a ton of credit for 5 consecutive FFs and it looks like she won't stop there. The only thing I've noticed with some of ND's FF games is that they haven't always played loose and confidently. That was certainly true of the FF loss to UConn in 2013, last year's championship game as well as last night's game. Last year Muffet was tense at the FF and her team played tense, though the injury to Achonwa was a bigger factor. Muffet said last night that her team played tight -- certainly true of her guards -- and she couldn't understand why since she felt the pressure was on UConn. Muffet was looser this year but wasn't able to get her players to feel and play that way. Of course, UConn teams and UConn players haven't always been immune to showing the pressure of the championship game either (2002, 2010) but the team has always found a way to win the game.

Although everyone likes to talk about which players are returning, which highly touted recruits are coming in, it is very difficult to account for the pressure of a championship game and what it does to players. Some players and teams thrive in it, some not so much. Maybe that's the one thing Geno is the best at: getting his players, at least most of them most of the time, to thrive on the biggest stage when the pressure is the greatest.

Reaction Score

If a kid wants the best chance to win multiple NC's, UConn is the only game in town: 10 NC's in 21 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom